The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Exactly how many times have Adam and Jason faced each other? At Nationals Jason while skating as a Senior Nationally was still a Junior internationally plus was just a kid so he wasn't expected to beat the top veterans at 16,17. But now he's older and obviously much better then he was in 2011 or 2012.

2. scheffie

scheffie Member

Nothing against Adam, I'm not into trashing skaters, but I do believe if Jason and Adam were to skate at Nationals this year, Jason would place higher.

3. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Well, fellow "kids" Aaron and Farris managed to do it despite Max having only B level assignments in the fall and Joshua competing in juniors internationally, so Brown did have a chance to pass Rippon last season at Nationals, but had 2 big falls in his LP.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Max is 21 and Jason is still only 18. Big difference.

5. Fudove

Fudove Member

Based on how Adam skated early last season maybe. But the Adam I saw most recently I don't think so. With my own eyes with the overhead blasting Carmen I saw effortless 3A and 4Z in his SP run-through. You cannot make comparisons without current information.

Jason was the best of the night and very entertaining, but short on a few rotations. I agree that there is something infectious about his presentation. No one had a stand out skate and we were surprised at the high score and the distance Jason was in front. The program has lot of potential but he is still working on landing the 3A on one foot. If this was a Ricky uber thread I may be forced to tell you that he landed some wicked 4S in the warm-up and a killer 3A3T in his program. But it isn't, so forget what I said.
    I like Josh and Jason and enjoy their skating. I cannot say that I am turned off by any of the current skaters and think each has a lot to offer. Just because I may offer an opinion you may not agree with (professional and free) doesn't make me right or guilty of disrespecting an athlete or your opinion. My remarks regarding Josh were based on a personal verbal exchange I had. And since I am not willing to repeat the exchange in its entirety it was unfair to his fans to state a comment without evidence. I wish all of the skaters a great season.

6. scheffie

scheffie Member

Fair enough. I happen to adore Richard Dornbush's skating, he's another one I wish could become more consistent. He has a lot of style! I don't remember mentioning
    anything about Joshua Farris, although he needs to be mentally tough enough to reach his goals. Good luck to every skater this year!

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

:rolleyes:

A kind soul named Snoopy15 on GoldenSkate has just posted this link...

Jason Brown - Glacier Falls LP

!!!!!!!!

It's fan-tabulous! A couple of observations (I've only watched it once so far.)

- The first jump was a double toe, presumably popped. But on first impression, it didn't seem accidentally popped. Is he still marking that jump?

- The 3As were very nice, the 2ft quite slight. The 3A-2T out of Ina Bauer and brackets is still fifty kinds of awesome. He is still stalking it a little, but that'll disappear with time, I guess.

- The crowd got into the footwork sequence VERY rapidly :D

- I didn't hear any extra music. I'm going to go back and time it but I seem to recall that last time he was twenty seconds short. I didn't hear any extra music and I am sure he didn't stand still at the start of the BO version for 20 seconds so...that seems odd to me.

- He's still running out of puff at the end, but not as badly.

- He looks so adult and grown-up now. I mean, I know he's 18 and closer to 19 than 18, but...it seems only yesterday he was that scrawny little thing! :slinkaway

- Still not entirely sold on that shade of green, but the costume does look pretty awesome. IMO. ;)

EDIT:

All right, I'm a little confused here. I just timed the LP and came up with 4:27. That can't be right or he'd have had a time deduction, wouldn't he?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. scheffie

scheffie Member

Thank you thank you to Snoopy 15 for sharing with us Jason's program. Wow, I loved every minute of it!

9. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I believe it's 4:30 +/- 10 seconds. So at 4:27, he is fine.

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

I always thought it was 4:40 for some reason. Glad to know different! :)

11. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Jason's LP @ Glacier Falls - :swoon: Am dissolving in incoherent superlatives.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  12. misskarne

misskarne #408

Stay strong, dinakt! You have a whole season of this ahead of you! Stay strong! :lol:

Meanwhile, anyone hear anything from Sun Valley? It seems to have been a very quiet show.

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Jason is not making it easy :D

Echoing your question about Josh at Sun Valley.

14. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

So great that Josh had the opportunity to perform at Sun Valley. I noticed that the roster included fewer of the prior season's regulars, who seem to be choosing to perform in fewer shows during the training summer during the Olympic season.

15. misskarne

misskarne #408

Now if only there was video - or even a report! :p

16. scheffie

scheffie Member

To leapfrogonice:

Could you please clarify what you meant by the fact that Joshua Farris was in Sun Valley but there seems to be a lot of skaters not doing shows because of the upcoming Olympic season? Not sure what you meant by that. Has anyone seen Joshua skate recently? A lot of people have been wondering. I watched Jason Brown's riverdance win at Glacier Falls and I believe his superior skating comes from his finishes, 100% effort, and attention to detail. Not flawless, season is early, but impressive nonetheless.

17. misskarne

misskarne #408

Joshua skated at the Vail Invitational, which he also did last year. Unfortunately, Vail is a very tiny competition, and the scores aren't available. This year no-one seems to have taken fancams, either, which was the only video we saw of last year's event.

He was also supposed to skate at An Evening On Ice, but had an anaphylactic reaction at the dinner the evening before, spent the night in hospital, and was not allowed to skate the next day, though he did turn up for the Meet and Greet afterwards.

He skated at Sun Valley, but the only information I have heard was a very plain tweet from Sun Valley talking about the "wonderful show" with Joshua and Ashley. No video has emerged and no fan-report either.

Whether he is deliberately flying under the radar or not, he's been pretty invisible this off-season. But he was also very invisible last summer, too, and that didn't stop him from coming out onto the JGP with a huge bang. So I'm not worried about it, it's just how he is. Jason regularly does Glacier Falls; the last three years at least, probably more.

A lot of skaters are probably trimming back on the shows this summer to focus on their training and making sure that they are in peak condition for the Olympic season. It's nothing unusual but I am glad that Josh is getting some recognition by being asked to do these shows.

Either way, both Joshua and Jason will be at Champs Camp from August 20-22 (I think? I seem to recall it was the exact same dates as Skate DownUnder. Frustratingly, for me. ;))

Meanwhile, Jason is continuing his tradition of enjoying himself for a few extra days after a competition: this time at the beach!

Having fun and looking good!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  18. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

At risk of being too much of a cougar... that's a lovely six-pack you got there, Mr. Brown. :D

19. misskarne

misskarne #408

Impressive abs, indeed. ;)

20. scheffie

scheffie Member

To misskarne

I appreciate the information on both Joshua and Jason. Thank you!

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Jason has a fabulous new FS but I think 3a could continue to be a bit of a problem jump for him for awhile, it didn't look great at Glacier Falls and he doesn't seem to get the same height/distance on his axel jumps that he does on his backwards takeoff jumps. It will be interesting to see Brown vs. Rippon and who gets the SA spot (or if it goes to someone else entirely) because I feel they have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Brown's skating skills and speed are stronger than Rippon, and his spins and lines even better (which is crazy to think because Adam's are sublime, but Jason just brings it to a new level, that donut/biellman spin he does is just unreal). I wish Jason would at least try the quad so we could see what it looks like, I feel like he might have more success with a quad than the 3a to be perfectly honest, and it's not like his 3a is that problematic/sketchy (like Lysacek's), it's just more not a gorgeous jump for him, compared to skaters like Farris and Dornbush who jump 3a beautifully (probably the best of all the US guys now). Maybe if Jason simplified the entrance, the 3a would work better? He's giving himself an awfully hard task with those crazy entrances! But anyways, considering Jason's monster GF score though with mistakes, I say he's heavy edge to Rippon at this point.

Oh yeah and some pictures of Josh from the Sun Valley show surfaced on facebook https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151767721231355&set=t.1204743301&type=1&theater https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151767721221355&set=t.1204743301&type=1&permPage=1 ...looks like someone's been pumping some serious iron, his arms and legs have never looked that strong/muscular before. Hoping the added muscle is helping his skating!

22. misskarne

misskarne #408

He does look broader across the chest. I'm glad he got his wish and put on some weight. I hope it helps! 4T-3T? ;)

23. pinky166

Gah I hope so, I wish there were some videos somewhere. Josh has the tendency to fall off the face of the earth during the summer and it makes the start of the season very nerve wracking, having no idea how his programs or jumps are looking. At least Salt Lake City is only a month away!

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Well, his invisibility last off-season didn't hurt anything. ;) Looking forward to SLC also.

The guys are out and about on Twitter.

Josh is clearly not worried by anything :)

Jason, meanwhile, is clearly a little traumatized...

Poor Jason. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting these new videos from the Glacier Falls competition thread in Kiss and Cry (thanks to UMBS Go Blue!):

Jason's SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MkQMqzCd8
    Jason's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mX8HxcaLj8

I recently received a copy of the results from Vail and, from the scores, it seems to have been a somewhat rough pre-season debut for Josh (no need to panic, anyone): 54.89 in SP and 120.52 in FS. Hopefully he is training well for SLC. :)

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Cheers Sylvia. TSL did mention in passing that Josh had a difficult time at Vail and even had to stop his LP partway through because he forgot it :lol: Always good to get the glitches out of the way early! On to SLC! ;)

27. scheffie

scheffie Member

Thank you for sharing Jason's sp on this site. Thank goodness he discarded that costume from last year's sp. It was over bearing, too big. He has incredible
    body lines and needs to show his fabulous flair! Good job Jason! I hope Joshua can pull it together for Utah.

28. misskarne

misskarne #408

Jason has been assigned to compete at the Nebelhorn Trophy from 25-28 September!

Entry list

Being the Olympic qualifier for a lot of us smaller countries, his competition at Nebelhorn is not especially fierce. Oda, Martinez and Dmitriev are shaping up as his stiffest competition. A nice little introduction to international Seniors.

29. pinky166

Congrats to Jason! He's already in very good form from what we've seen so far this summer so I think he definitely has a shot to win Nebelhorn (Oda can be formidable competition but he has to count his jumps :p), which would be a great start to his first senior season. Hope the guys have fun at their first Champs Camp this week!

30. misskarne

misskarne #408

Interesting. I just got done with watching TSL's This and That and even they are starting to doubt that Lysacek will show at SLC. And then they mentioned that if Lysacek withdrew...it could be Jason who gets his spot.

Max, Josh, and Jason at SLC together? Can SLC handle that much amazing in one competition?