The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'm the opposite. :lol: I'm more excited about the FS music because I have a general aversion to tangos. But I love Josh's skating, so I'm sure I'll love his tango. :)

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

I suppose another way to think about it too is that he needs to come out of his shell a bit, so a tango should fit that bill quite nicely. ;)

I'm not familiar with the music of Schindler's List, so I'll wait and see for that one.

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

4. misskarne

misskarne #408

5. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Jonathan Cassar did an amazing free skate to Schindler's List.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-X4L_-QBs

I will be very interested to see Josh's interpretation. The music is so beautiful and haunting, and I think his style will mesh well with it.

Can't wait for the mens' competition in Boston - it will be fierce!

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From Josh Farris' updated Team USA bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100802&mode=I
    SP Music: Piazzolla's "Libertango" performed by Anderson and Roe Piano Duo
    FS Music: Music from Schindler's List by John Williams
    Choreographer: Joshua Farris, Damon Allen

Jason's bio is updated as well: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100826&mode=I
    SP Music: "The Question of U" by Prince
    FS Music: "Reel Around the Sun" by Bill Whelan [Riverdance]
    Choreographer: Rohene Ward

Jason is scheduled to compete at Glacier Falls tomorrow night and late Saturday night - updates will be posted in the GF comp. thread in Kiss and Cry.

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

Ah, just came in here to update, and Sylvia, of course, has beaten me to it :)

I'll be very interested to see Joshua's interpretation of Libertango. It has a lot of potential, especially in the realm of being in a different style to everything else he's done the last couple of years.

Can't wait for videos from Glacier Falls for Jason - keen to see what Riverdance looks like now!

8. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Is Sylvia a robot? :eek::sekret:

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

I think so. Or a magical omnipotent being with a sixth sense for figure skating news! :eek: :sekret:

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

Jason leads the men's short program at Glacier Falls with a score of 82.87!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

If you want to see the proof, UMBSGoBlue kindly posted a photograph of the detailed results.

She also provided this description:

So...that's 82+ WITH A MISTAKE. :eek:

I'm not foolish enough to think he can pull those scores internationally on Senior debut, but the PCS wasn't totally out of this world... Maybe ~75?

He leads Michael Christian Martinez by six points and skates his long program tomorrow. (Tonight? It's tomorrow my time, anyway.)

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That's a huge score :eek:

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

That's gotta be some whack judging. Surely he's not going to pull 82 on the Senior international circuit on debut :eek:. Not with a mistake!

I'll be interested to see what his FS score is tomorrow. His PB is 154 from JWC with Liebestraume - and that was flawless.

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Can't you at least wait until you've seen the program before "trashing" Jason's score/judging?

14. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm not really trashing it? I love Jason and I know he skated a great program. But an 82 with a mistake is not something he's going to see at TEB. I'm trying to be realistic and not go bananas over the score that high. I'd love to, but that would be a little silly. Glacier Falls is not TEB.

Besides, Jason is a first-year Senior internationally. I think the judges might be a little cautious with him.

The thing that did strike me, looking at the detailed scores, was that his PCS was not OTT crazy - rather, it was close to what it was at JWC (IIRC). Which means he nailed it on the TES. So either the 3A was not as two-footed as it looked live, or he went bananas on everything else. (Which is always a possibility.)

15. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

LOL, misskarne, you're like the biggest Jason uber ever; you would be the last person to trash him ever. :lol:

Jason's TES at Jr. Worlds was 36.62. Had he not made that error in the lutz combo, that would gone up to 39.42. If he got all level 4s (as Josh did at JW), that would add another 1.1 points = 40.52. So where did the other 5 points come from? Either:
    1.) He got higher GOE. or 2.)He has more elements in the second-half getting more points.

Actually, his PCS is quite a bit higher at Glacier Falls, 3.76 points to be precise. He was mostly at the high 6s at Jr. Worlds, at Glacier Falls he was in the mid-7s. That's a bit of a leap. So if you take away the 3.76 points Jason's score would be 79.11, which would still be well above what he's done previously.

16. scheffie

scheffie Member

That doesn't surprise me at all about Jason Brown. He is nothing short of brilliant. He is what the beauty of figure skating is all about. His footwork, in my opinion, is the best ever. His choreography is so delicious no one can touch him. He can skate to anything. I'm biased, maybe, but I have seen so many quotes that reflect my opinion on Jason's skating. His scores tell us that the judges are rewarding him on all of the intricacies and difficulties that no one else is attempting since Browning. After all, wasn't skating supposed to be getting away from just jumping with the new system?

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason should never have been getting only 6's on PCS at Jr,Worlds last season. His skating skills are better then most of the Senior men right now jumps or no jumps.

18. scheffie

scheffie Member

Agreed. Now, when is someone going to post the link to Jason's sp??

19. Fudove

Fudove Member

There is a lot to love about Jason. I saw him, he was great but not 82 great. (sorry)
    He has a lot to work on especially posture, arm position and correct edge take off. He leans so far forward and hyper-arches his back- that technique worries me. I do not think an international community will agree that he is the new Kurt Browning. Kurt was the complete package with impeccable tailored costumes, character interpretation and not a planted screaming fan base that are sometimes rude to other competitors. I never liked that but you cannot blame the skater for family or fans that are a bit too enthusiastic. There are many that have pushed the second mark Chan, Daisuke, Amodio, domestically Abbott and his incredible transitions, Dyer and Rippon with spins and footwork that defy gravity. Compared to the juniors he earlier competed with he was top rate. He will be facing seasoned seniors and it is ignorant for you to assume that "no one is attempting" the difficulties that Jason is. Brown's positive attitude is contagious but the second mark is not about how it makes you feel is it(?) because that cannot be measured accurately, that would mean people offer a PCS based on their feeling and we know that is not what IJS was created for. :scream:
    The more he is held up the more pressure is put on him and I think last night it eroded the confidence of some of the other guys in the group who made mistakes on much more difficult elements. I saw it on their faces.
    I was at EOI 2 weeks ago - the pressure seemed evident on Josh. Josh has demonstrated a consistent 3A & higher overall jump elements, better posture but weaker presentation last year and seems to make a lot of excuses when under pressure where Brown seems to be able to tune it out. I hope all of the men do their best tonight and that the judges and callers are as "consistent" as they demand the skaters to be.

20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

On demand video will be available after the event; check upthread.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Because of the halfway point bonus in the sp you can backload and get increased value. At jr worlds His flip was in bonus territory and if he moved to two like hanyu it's Possible 3/3 and flip after halfway point with all level 4 non jump elements with +2 or 3 goe could get 82. Level 4 step sequence with all +3 is worth more than a flip and lutz I think.

22. scheffie

scheffie Member

I think you are confusing Jason's fan base with his incredible talent (sorry). I have no idea how far Jason will reach with his skating, and I don't really care. I love the process of Jason's skating. Jason has the temperament for this sport, and it takes a lot of mental energy. Your other remarks are just immature.

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

I really don't want to come across as the super-crazy uber, but I really must take exception to the bolded and ask for examples.

Josh has been pretty unlucky with his allergy the last couple of years, but he never really uses it as an excuse and has always sounded positive about his results when he had pretty good reason to be down about them. Like, he missed being the 2012 JWC by half a point, and he would have known exactly where he lost it too. He could have been really sulky and unhappy, but he instead decided to be happy and accept that he messed up, and Han was champion instead. At JGPF it was Damon Allen who tipped everyone off that Josh had had a reaction, and Josh was really positive there, too.

24. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Someone who competes despite having a torn abductor muscle and continues to skate a LP with a broken fibula and a sprained tendon doesn't make excuses. Also, you clearly must not know how debilitating food allergies are. Educate yourself. :shuffle:

25. Nupraptor

Nupraptor New Member

Who is he better? Abbot? Rippon? Daisuke? Kozuka? Hanyu? Ten? Chan?

Really? No one? So he’s going to win Nationals?

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jason Brown won Glacier Falls Summer Classic with a total score of 242.29 (159.42 FS).
    @umbsgoblue tweeted last night from Anaheim, CA:
    "J. Brown: Riverdance. Popped first jump but did 3a(2ft)/2t, 3a(2ft), tano 3z, and all other triples. Electrifying program and footwork."

I hope Josh Farris is enjoying himself in Sun Valley, Idaho - he performed in his first show there last night.

Just a friendly reminder :): This is an über thread for Brown's and Farris' fans/supporters.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  27. misskarne

misskarne #408

Scores and results are finally out for the FS at Glacier Falls! (Thanks Sylvia!)

Jason destroyed everyone else! :eek: His LP scored 159.42, for a total score of 242.29, vs 2nd place Dornbush's 213.09. :eek:

According to the lovely UMBS Go Blue:

Shotaro Omori posted on his Twitter:

So here's our first look at Jason's costume for Riverdance and the first thought that immediately popped into my head was "Oh my lord, tempting fate with green in an Olympic year?"

I actually kind of like it. The gold patterning is quite cool, but I've always had a fetish for green and gold. Possibly the green should have been darker. I'll have to wait to see it on the ice instead of in a dodgy twitpic.

I haven't heard anything out of Joshua's trip to Sun Valley On Ice yet - anyone?

EDIT:

Sylvia beat me to it - as usual! :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  28. scheffie

scheffie Member

Did I say anything about winning Nationals? I mentioned his choreography!! Thank you Sylvia, for reminding us what this thread is all about. Supporters of Josh and Jason!!

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I should have said US men. And yes Jason i believe will soon pass up Adam if he hasn't already.

30. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Brown certainly has the potential to pass Rippon, but to this date he has never placed ahead of him in an event.