The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

That's a huge score :eek:
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

That's gotta be some whack judging. Surely he's not going to pull 82 on the Senior international circuit on debut :eek:. Not with a mistake!

I'll be interested to see what his FS score is tomorrow. His PB is 154 from JWC with Liebestraume - and that was flawless.
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Can't you at least wait until you've seen the program before "trashing" Jason's score/judging?
  4. misskarne

I'm not really trashing it? I love Jason and I know he skated a great program. But an 82 with a mistake is not something he's going to see at TEB. I'm trying to be realistic and not go bananas over the score that high. I'd love to, but that would be a little silly. Glacier Falls is not TEB.

Besides, Jason is a first-year Senior internationally. I think the judges might be a little cautious with him.

The thing that did strike me, looking at the detailed scores, was that his PCS was not OTT crazy - rather, it was close to what it was at JWC (IIRC). Which means he nailed it on the TES. So either the 3A was not as two-footed as it looked live, or he went bananas on everything else. (Which is always a possibility.)
  5. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

LOL, misskarne, you're like the biggest Jason uber ever; you would be the last person to trash him ever. :lol:

Jason's TES at Jr. Worlds was 36.62. Had he not made that error in the lutz combo, that would gone up to 39.42. If he got all level 4s (as Josh did at JW), that would add another 1.1 points = 40.52. So where did the other 5 points come from? Either:
    1.) He got higher GOE. or 2.)He has more elements in the second-half getting more points.

Actually, his PCS is quite a bit higher at Glacier Falls, 3.76 points to be precise. He was mostly at the high 6s at Jr. Worlds, at Glacier Falls he was in the mid-7s. That's a bit of a leap. So if you take away the 3.76 points Jason's score would be 79.11, which would still be well above what he's done previously.
  6. scheffie

scheffie New Member

That doesn't surprise me at all about Jason Brown. He is nothing short of brilliant. He is what the beauty of figure skating is all about. His footwork, in my opinion, is the best ever. His choreography is so delicious no one can touch him. He can skate to anything. I'm biased, maybe, but I have seen so many quotes that reflect my opinion on Jason's skating. His scores tell us that the judges are rewarding him on all of the intricacies and difficulties that no one else is attempting since Browning. After all, wasn't skating supposed to be getting away from just jumping with the new system?

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason should never have been getting only 6's on PCS at Jr,Worlds last season. His skating skills are better then most of the Senior men right now jumps or no jumps.
  8. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Agreed. Now, when is someone going to post the link to Jason's sp??

9. Fudove

Fudove New Member

There is a lot to love about Jason. I saw him, he was great but not 82 great. (sorry)
    He has a lot to work on especially posture, arm position and correct edge take off. He leans so far forward and hyper-arches his back- that technique worries me. I do not think an international community will agree that he is the new Kurt Browning. Kurt was the complete package with impeccable tailored costumes, character interpretation and not a planted screaming fan base that are sometimes rude to other competitors. I never liked that but you cannot blame the skater for family or fans that are a bit too enthusiastic. There are many that have pushed the second mark Chan, Daisuke, Amodio, domestically Abbott and his incredible transitions, Dyer and Rippon with spins and footwork that defy gravity. Compared to the juniors he earlier competed with he was top rate. He will be facing seasoned seniors and it is ignorant for you to assume that "no one is attempting" the difficulties that Jason is. Brown's positive attitude is contagious but the second mark is not about how it makes you feel is it(?) because that cannot be measured accurately, that would mean people offer a PCS based on their feeling and we know that is not what IJS was created for. :scream:
    The more he is held up the more pressure is put on him and I think last night it eroded the confidence of some of the other guys in the group who made mistakes on much more difficult elements. I saw it on their faces.
    I was at EOI 2 weeks ago - the pressure seemed evident on Josh. Josh has demonstrated a consistent 3A & higher overall jump elements, better posture but weaker presentation last year and seems to make a lot of excuses when under pressure where Brown seems to be able to tune it out. I hope all of the men do their best tonight and that the judges and callers are as "consistent" as they demand the skaters to be.
  10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

On demand video will be available after the event; check upthread.
  11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Because of the halfway point bonus in the sp you can backload and get increased value. At jr worlds His flip was in bonus territory and if he moved to two like hanyu it's Possible 3/3 and flip after halfway point with all level 4 non jump elements with +2 or 3 goe could get 82. Level 4 step sequence with all +3 is worth more than a flip and lutz I think.
  12. scheffie

scheffie New Member

I think you are confusing Jason's fan base with his incredible talent (sorry). I have no idea how far Jason will reach with his skating, and I don't really care. I love the process of Jason's skating. Jason has the temperament for this sport, and it takes a lot of mental energy. Your other remarks are just immature.

13. misskarne

I really don't want to come across as the super-crazy uber, but I really must take exception to the bolded and ask for examples.

Josh has been pretty unlucky with his allergy the last couple of years, but he never really uses it as an excuse and has always sounded positive about his results when he had pretty good reason to be down about them. Like, he missed being the 2012 JWC by half a point, and he would have known exactly where he lost it too. He could have been really sulky and unhappy, but he instead decided to be happy and accept that he messed up, and Han was champion instead. At JGPF it was Damon Allen who tipped everyone off that Josh had had a reaction, and Josh was really positive there, too.
  14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Someone who competes despite having a torn abductor muscle and continues to skate a LP with a broken fibula and a sprained tendon doesn't make excuses. Also, you clearly must not know how debilitating food allergies are. Educate yourself. :shuffle:
  15. Nupraptor

Nupraptor New Member

Who is he better? Abbot? Rippon? Daisuke? Kozuka? Hanyu? Ten? Chan?

Really? No one? So he’s going to win Nationals?
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Jason Brown won Glacier Falls Summer Classic with a total score of 242.29 (159.42 FS).
    @umbsgoblue tweeted last night from Anaheim, CA:
    "J. Brown: Riverdance. Popped first jump but did 3a(2ft)/2t, 3a(2ft), tano 3z, and all other triples. Electrifying program and footwork."

I hope Josh Farris is enjoying himself in Sun Valley, Idaho - he performed in his first show there last night.

Just a friendly reminder :): This is an über thread for Brown's and Farris' fans/supporters.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  17. misskarne

Scores and results are finally out for the FS at Glacier Falls! (Thanks Sylvia!)

Jason destroyed everyone else! :eek: His LP scored 159.42, for a total score of 242.29, vs 2nd place Dornbush's 213.09. :eek:

According to the lovely UMBS Go Blue:

Shotaro Omori posted on his Twitter:

So here's our first look at Jason's costume for Riverdance and the first thought that immediately popped into my head was "Oh my lord, tempting fate with green in an Olympic year?"

I actually kind of like it. The gold patterning is quite cool, but I've always had a fetish for green and gold. Possibly the green should have been darker. I'll have to wait to see it on the ice instead of in a dodgy twitpic.

I haven't heard anything out of Joshua's trip to Sun Valley On Ice yet - anyone?

EDIT:

Sylvia beat me to it - as usual! :p
  18. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Did I say anything about winning Nationals? I mentioned his choreography!! Thank you Sylvia, for reminding us what this thread is all about. Supporters of Josh and Jason!!

19. Jammers

I should have said US men. And yes Jason i believe will soon pass up Adam if he hasn't already.
  20. museksk8r

Brown certainly has the potential to pass Rippon, but to this date he has never placed ahead of him in an event.
  21. Jammers

Exactly how many times have Adam and Jason faced each other? At Nationals Jason while skating as a Senior Nationally was still a Junior internationally plus was just a kid so he wasn't expected to beat the top veterans at 16,17. But now he's older and obviously much better then he was in 2011 or 2012.
  22. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Nothing against Adam, I'm not into trashing skaters, but I do believe if Jason and Adam were to skate at Nationals this year, Jason would place higher.

23. museksk8r

Well, fellow "kids" Aaron and Farris managed to do it despite Max having only B level assignments in the fall and Joshua competing in juniors internationally, so Brown did have a chance to pass Rippon last season at Nationals, but had 2 big falls in his LP.
  24. Jammers

Max is 21 and Jason is still only 18. Big difference.
  25. Fudove

Fudove New Member

Based on how Adam skated early last season maybe. But the Adam I saw most recently I don't think so. With my own eyes with the overhead blasting Carmen I saw effortless 3A and 4Z in his SP run-through. You cannot make comparisons without current information.

Jason was the best of the night and very entertaining, but short on a few rotations. I agree that there is something infectious about his presentation. No one had a stand out skate and we were surprised at the high score and the distance Jason was in front. The program has lot of potential but he is still working on landing the 3A on one foot. If this was a Ricky uber thread I may be forced to tell you that he landed some wicked 4S in the warm-up and a killer 3A3T in his program. But it isn't, so forget what I said.
    I like Josh and Jason and enjoy their skating. I cannot say that I am turned off by any of the current skaters and think each has a lot to offer. Just because I may offer an opinion you may not agree with (professional and free) doesn't make me right or guilty of disrespecting an athlete or your opinion. My remarks regarding Josh were based on a personal verbal exchange I had. And since I am not willing to repeat the exchange in its entirety it was unfair to his fans to state a comment without evidence. I wish all of the skaters a great season.
  26. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Fair enough. I happen to adore Richard Dornbush's skating, he's another one I wish could become more consistent. He has a lot of style! I don't remember mentioning
    anything about Joshua Farris, although he needs to be mentally tough enough to reach his goals. Good luck to every skater this year!

27. misskarne

:rolleyes:

A kind soul named Snoopy15 on GoldenSkate has just posted this link...

Jason Brown - Glacier Falls LP

!!!!!!!!

It's fan-tabulous! A couple of observations (I've only watched it once so far.)

- The first jump was a double toe, presumably popped. But on first impression, it didn't seem accidentally popped. Is he still marking that jump?

- The 3As were very nice, the 2ft quite slight. The 3A-2T out of Ina Bauer and brackets is still fifty kinds of awesome. He is still stalking it a little, but that'll disappear with time, I guess.

- The crowd got into the footwork sequence VERY rapidly :D

- I didn't hear any extra music. I'm going to go back and time it but I seem to recall that last time he was twenty seconds short. I didn't hear any extra music and I am sure he didn't stand still at the start of the BO version for 20 seconds so...that seems odd to me.

- He's still running out of puff at the end, but not as badly.

- He looks so adult and grown-up now. I mean, I know he's 18 and closer to 19 than 18, but...it seems only yesterday he was that scrawny little thing! :slinkaway

- Still not entirely sold on that shade of green, but the costume does look pretty awesome. IMO. ;)

EDIT:

All right, I'm a little confused here. I just timed the LP and came up with 4:27. That can't be right or he'd have had a time deduction, wouldn't he?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  28. scheffie

scheffie New Member

Thank you thank you to Snoopy 15 for sharing with us Jason's program. Wow, I loved every minute of it!

29. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

I believe it's 4:30 +/- 10 seconds. So at 4:27, he is fine.
  30. misskarne

I always thought it was 4:40 for some reason. Glad to know different! :)
  31. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Jason's LP @ Glacier Falls - :swoon: Am dissolving in incoherent superlatives.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  32. misskarne

Stay strong, dinakt! You have a whole season of this ahead of you! Stay strong! :lol:

Meanwhile, anyone hear anything from Sun Valley? It seems to have been a very quiet show.
  33. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Jason is not making it easy :D

Echoing your question about Josh at Sun Valley.
  34. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

So great that Josh had the opportunity to perform at Sun Valley. I noticed that the roster included fewer of the prior season's regulars, who seem to be choosing to perform in fewer shows during the training summer during the Olympic season.
  35. misskarne

Now if only there was video - or even a report! :p
  36. scheffie

scheffie New Member

To leapfrogonice:

Could you please clarify what you meant by the fact that Joshua Farris was in Sun Valley but there seems to be a lot of skaters not doing shows because of the upcoming Olympic season? Not sure what you meant by that. Has anyone seen Joshua skate recently? A lot of people have been wondering. I watched Jason Brown's riverdance win at Glacier Falls and I believe his superior skating comes from his finishes, 100% effort, and attention to detail. Not flawless, season is early, but impressive nonetheless.

37. misskarne

Joshua skated at the Vail Invitational, which he also did last year. Unfortunately, Vail is a very tiny competition, and the scores aren't available. This year no-one seems to have taken fancams, either, which was the only video we saw of last year's event.

He was also supposed to skate at An Evening On Ice, but had an anaphylactic reaction at the dinner the evening before, spent the night in hospital, and was not allowed to skate the next day, though he did turn up for the Meet and Greet afterwards.

He skated at Sun Valley, but the only information I have heard was a very plain tweet from Sun Valley talking about the "wonderful show" with Joshua and Ashley. No video has emerged and no fan-report either.

Whether he is deliberately flying under the radar or not, he's been pretty invisible this off-season. But he was also very invisible last summer, too, and that didn't stop him from coming out onto the JGP with a huge bang. So I'm not worried about it, it's just how he is. Jason regularly does Glacier Falls; the last three years at least, probably more.

A lot of skaters are probably trimming back on the shows this summer to focus on their training and making sure that they are in peak condition for the Olympic season. It's nothing unusual but I am glad that Josh is getting some recognition by being asked to do these shows.

Either way, both Joshua and Jason will be at Champs Camp from August 20-22 (I think? I seem to recall it was the exact same dates as Skate DownUnder. Frustratingly, for me. ;))

Meanwhile, Jason is continuing his tradition of enjoying himself for a few extra days after a competition: this time at the beach!

Having fun and looking good!
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  38. Mrs. P

Mrs. P New Member

At risk of being too much of a cougar... that's a lovely six-pack you got there, Mr. Brown. :D
    LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  39. misskarne

Impressive abs, indeed. ;)
  40. scheffie

scheffie New Member

To misskarne

I appreciate the information on both Joshua and Jason. Thank you!