The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

He must be an exceptionally strong young man, especially when you consider, too, that those injuries occurred when he was 14, 15, and 16. Teenagers around that time would be especially vulnerable to giving in and giving up.

I am much more relaxed about the potential for injury now that he's with Damon and Christy. They really seem to care for their skaters, and don't seem to push too hard.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Re-posting from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD...

The Skating Lesson's 42-minute interview with Jason Brown (April 11, 2013), plus jump practice videos: http://www.theskatinglesson.com/jason-brown-interview/
    (Jason talks about Josh Farris starting after the halfway mark.)
  3. misskarne

I admit, I went straight to the jump practice videos. The 3A was gorgeous, and I think we can definitely say he owns the jump now. The quad video was interesting. With the distance it was hard to see if it was fully-rotated, but it looked close to me.
  4. Sylvia

Joshua Farris is a guest skater at "Showtime on Ice," Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28, 2013, at the South Suburban Ice Arena in Centennial, Colorado: http://www.showtimeonice.com/
  5. misskarne

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Glad Josh took off the fedora he was sporting in some facebook pictures....the girls all look gorgeous. Love the color of Angela's dress! Jason really needs to do something new with his hair. I think it's time. And he'd probably look better with something softer to balance out his sharp facial features. Maybe he shoud rock the shaggy russian boy haircut? :lol:
  7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Jason has said he refuses to cut his hair, but that was over a year ago. I also think he should sport a different hair style (but it's not my call to make)
  8. pinky166

I just figure now would be a good time to try something new. I mean, he graduated highschool, moved, it's an Olympic year and he'll be making his senior international debut so idk, a change and movement into a new direction might not be a bad idea. But maybe I'm just not a fan of the slicked back severe middle part, Vanessa Lam's hair has always bugged me too for the same reason. Plus I think Jason with poofy shaggy hair flowing around would be cool :lol: he could shake it during his step sequences :inavoid:
  9. misskarne

Actually if you listen to the Skating Lesson interview, it all started because as a young kid Jason refused to cut it and liked it shaggy...and then it got so shaggy that the judges started quietly advising Kori that it would be better cut or tied back. Apparently young Jason was allergic to scissors :lol: so it was tied back. And then it just kind of stayed that way.

I think I'm so used to seeing his hair so neat and tidy and tied back that shaggy Jason would be an odd sight.
  10. pinky166

Yeah I saw the interview too which made me think of it. All the pictures I have seen with his hair down are a lot more flattering, detracting attention from the size of his nose and softening the other features. But when he's skating his face/hair is honestly the last thing I'm paying attention to so it's not a biggie, I just thought it would be cool for him to try something new now that he's going to be competing with the big boys internationally.
  11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

12. misskarne

Nice to see Josh getting to skate in so many shows :) Nationals was such a big breakthrough for him.

Anyway, I've decided I'm hanging out for Jason to do a Lord of the Rings program with his hair in elven braids. That would be cool. /tolkiennerd
  13. pinky166

I think Jason could rock cornrows and a LOTR program, that would be cool to see.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=332804
    Anyways here's a little video of Josh and Gracie taken at 9 News in Denver before the shows they are skating in this weekend (I think the first one was last night). Josh is very shy, I felt a little bad when the announcer was talking like, oh no big deal, 2 spots, I'm sure you'll be on the Olympic team - potentially a little awkward. The two of them seem very nice and genuine though, Gracie has a very nice voice, strong and goes over well on TV (Josh should take notes). Also his hair looks longer....fingers crossed he grows it out for the coming season! He looked way more handsome IMO with the long hair he had late in the 11-12 season. Plus it looked cool when he skated because there was that wind-blown effect :lol: . If anyone has reports from the show please share!!
  14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Josh comes off as shy compared to someone like Jason who seems a bit more outgoing. Also Gracie has been in the spotlight for the last 14-15 months so she's used to the press more then Josh is right now.
  15. misskarne

I think Josh is just naturally shy. If someone had stuck me in front of a TV camera when I was eighteen I'd have turned tail and run as fast as I could. He is quite adorable though. He'll get better with practice. Remember, he wasn't really as "on the radar" until this year. The skating world knew who he was without him being "the next big thing". Even though his results were impressive, it was like there wasn't a huge lot of interest because he never really performed at Nationals. Suddenly he's the National pewter medallist and Junior World Champion and he's everywhere. That's gotta be overwhelming.

Meanwhile Gracie has been hyped like crazy for a couple of seasons now and was being touted all last season too, with plenty of coverage and press and interest. I'd say she's more used to it. Plus, she might naturally be a more outgoing type.
  16. pinky166

Well Gracie seems to like/be more comfortable with all the attention so it's maybe "what she lives for" so to speak. Part of what helped make her make such a big splash on the skating scene (besides her good competition results and amazing abilities) was her personal (or family/coaching team) PR machine that got news of her killer tricks out to local people which helped generate a lot of exciting word of mouth about Gracie. I just like her poise to be honest, she's only 17 but she comes off as a lot more mature. Josh just seems a little awkward, which is fine, because that's maybe his personality and it's honestly a bit endearing, it's just funny watching him talk next to some of these other folks who just seem to love to chat and feel right at home in front of the camera. Nothing wrong with being either way just an interesting dynamic.

Anyone have videos from the show? Any word on if Josh or Gracie (or Jason given this thread) have decided anything in regards to program music and choreographers for next season? Seems like a lot of people have already started!

Oh yeah and here's a picture Gracie tweeted from the news studio. Look who's wearing a black shirt (again... :lol:)
    http://instagram.com/p/YkkX4lrAkG/
  17. Jammers

It's funny even though Gracie is younger then Josh she seems older. I guess it seems we've been watching Gracie for years even though it's not even been 2 years. :lol: Could also be because Josh has been on the JGP and we haven't seen him as much.
  18. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I saw the Sunday show in Denver at South Suburban Ice Arena. Josh looked and skated great. His technique is so pure and beautiful. Skated to a pop ballad in jeans and t-shirt. He is so handsome....and I agree with those who think he is even more handsome with longer hair. Hope he grows it again. I am so used to seeing him do classical music. This choice of music done very effectively proves he already has versatility at a young age. His blades are silent on the ice and his stroking is beautiful and powerful. Thought I saw a triple flip rotated great. On opposite end of rink and a bit dark, so I wasn't sure if flip or toe. His triple loop was off axis so a bit of a step out. Gracie also skated in the show. Her power for a lady skater is mind blowing. Both were wonderful.
  19. misskarne

Thankyou very much for your report! I hope you had a great time :)

(Was it "Ain't No Sunshine"?)
  20. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I did have a great time thanks! It might have been...I was so taken by Josh's skating, I forgot to note his music:lol:
  21. pinky166

Nice to hear they both skated so well! Bodes well for this time of the year! Excited for next season already!

And as for Gracie seeming older, I do agree, however, Josh is only 7 months older than her anyhow, and they are the same year in school, so at that age, it's pretty typical for girls to be more mature and confident/put together so to speak, whereas for guys it sometimes takes a little longer and they stay in that shy awkward stage throughout highschool. Some of it is girls maturing physically at a younger age, but I also feel like there are more expectations for young girls these days to act grownup as teenagers, idk. Anyways I think it's cute Josh is shy and I think it's speaks better of his character than if he was really cocky and arrogant (which, arguably, he has reason to be - yet you get no sense of his accomplishments hearing him speak). I'm really hoping at least one of his programs next season is in a new vein and not classical just to see a different side of him as a skater, I feel there is more complexity to him as an artist and person than it maybe appears on the surface. Fingers crossed.
  22. Sylvia

23. misskarne

Thankyou so much, Sylvia!

(Oh Josh. Again with the angsty ballads.)
  24. pinky166

Josh is really being packaged at Jeremy Abbott 2.0 with these exhibition pieces. He pulls off the role well but doesn't he get tired of classical programs and new age sensitive man exhibition pieces ever? (and black t-shirts? :lol:). I am sure he has more artistic range in him than what we've seen from him these past few years...hopefully he can find a choreographer who can bring it out of him. Here's hoping.

That being said. It was a very nice program. Loved the spread eagles.
  25. misskarne

Well, I must say, I'd rather see him packaged as Jeremy Abbott 2.0 than Evan Lysacek 2.0 which was in danger of happening for a while there. At least Jeremy's skating is nice to watch sometimes.

Of course, my ultimate preference is to see him packaged as Joshua Farris 1.0...

And the spreadeagles are very lovely - he also had one in the "Ain't No Sunshine" ex that went outside-inside the full length of the rink. Hope we're going to see that this season.
  26. Jammers

Let's hope that Josh takes more after Evan more then Jeremy when it comes to competing.
  27. misskarne

Meanwhile, here's an article about Joshua on The Denver Post's website. Highlights:

And it appears to be "admit-I-was-a-bad-kid" month:

28. Sylvia

Thanks for posting! I don't know how I missed this article when I found a similar but shorter Gracie Gold article in the Denver Post about her "Showtime on Ice" guest appearance.

ETA: I'll cross-post this article link in the U.S. Men's news thread in GSD since it focuses mainly on his accomplishments this season. Here's the link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...l-discussion&p=3914502&viewfull=1#post3914502
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  29. pinky166

I don't think Josh is lactose intolerant, I'm pretty sure he has an anaphylactic allergy to milk. Lactose intolerance is not that big of a deal, you have dairy and it makes you gassy and/or gives you a stomach ache, and if you take a lactaid pill before hand you can still eat food with lactose and be just fine. I've read articles where it said Josh's throat will close up if he has dairy and if he had a small cup of milk and didn't get treatment for it he would die. That sounds like the kind of allergy my little sister has - anaphylactic milk allergy, she gets annoyed when people say she's lactose intolerant because it does NOT indicate anywhere close to the severity of the condition which can lead to people not being careful enough when eating foods with dairy around her. So I think the article made a mistake, unless that actually is Joshua's condition, but I doubt lactose intolerance would send one to the ER, or if it did it would likely be for loose stools, not hives, puffiness, and a scratchy throat.
  30. Sylvia

Jason Brown will perform in a benefit show organized by his training mate, Jordan Moeller, in the Chicago area on May 25 - link to the thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...L-with-Jason-Brown-Rohene-Ward-Jordan-Moeller

Both Joshua Farris and Jason Brown performed in the Athletes Advisory Committee (AAC) Gala show in Colorado Springs on May 4. Brown reprised his MC Hammer exhibition number. Relevant article excerpt (link is posted in the GSD thread with photos about the show: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...rt-of-Action&p=3922067&viewfull=1#post3922067)
    ETA baby news at the end of the same article:
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  31. misskarne

Congratulations to Kori and her husband on another sweet little girl!

It sounds like the AAC Gala was lots of fun. I'd heard about the fanning girls thing via an exchange on Twitter:

;)

A shame there don't seem to be any videos from the AAC Gala. I'd like to see a HQ video of Josh's "If I Was Your Man" and of course, Jason's "Can't Touch This" is ALWAYS good!
  32. Sylvia

Re-posting from Dr. George Rossano's Governing Council blog - this excerpt was posted in the GC thread in GSD:
  33. Sylvia

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  34. misskarne

Kori is a tease:

*taps foot impatiently*

Is it June 1 yet?
  35. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

What summer competitions is Jason attending???
  36. misskarne

Haven't heard of any yet, but the last few seasons he's competed at Glacier Falls. Last year he also did a very small comp up in Connecticut (I think) that we didn't get any results for weeks and never had video of.

Meanwhile, a very handsome lineup at Universal Sports studios...

https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/334821933118001152

Pic of suitMax, coatJosh and casualRyan
  37. DORISPULASKI

:drama: In CT???? And I didn't know about it :wuzrobbed:

I would have gone, had I know.
  38. Sylvia

Jason competed in Wisconsin last June, not CT. :)
  39. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

40. DORISPULASKI

Whew. I didn't think I was as out of it as to miss Jason competing next door ;)