The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Sorry if it has been mentioned earlier but seeing as they are both 18 yrs. old now, will Joshua and Jason move up to full-fledged Seniors next season? I think Shotaro may remain a Junior one more year ...
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

3. olympic

4. Sylvia

Re-posting these videos from the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry:
    Both Joshua & Shotaro set new ISU personal best SP scores today, while Jason achieved an ISU SB score (I assume he will move up to senior internationally next season but don't know for sure).
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Bravi Josh and Jason! ( plus Omori and Martinez). So well done!
    Jason ran out of ice on combo, but that 3A had me smiling from ear to ear. Gorgeous execution.
  6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Jason and Joshua do not age out of juniors until after next season, therefore, they CAN compete on the junior circuit and/or JW next season by age if they and/or the USFS wish. It sounds like Josh wants to move up to seniors definitely, and will if he gets selected for at least one GP event. My guess is that Brown has the same thinking, and will ask to have his name submitted for GP assignments unless USFS tells him they want him to stay junior another season (idk why they'd do that but maybe so someone like Rippon or Johnson can get GPs) and then if his name is submitted and he's selected to compete at a GP event or two, he will move up. If one or both of the boys are in the top 24 WS and/or SB list at the conclusion of the season, they will have a GP event garaunteed should their names be submitted - however, if they don't make one or both of these lists, they will have to wait and see what happens until after the selection conference takes place. My guess is that if neither gets a GP invite, they'd both opt to do another season of JGP as opposed to senior Bs, but if they can get even one GP event, they will move up internationally. I think it's fairly likely they can both get a GP birth though, and if one or both of them medals here and makes the top 24 SB and/or WS list, I think it's quite likely they could get 2 events.

Omori is ISU junior age eligible through the 2014-2015 season and with his limited world ranking points I would assume he plans to compete on the JGP next season.
  7. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Start order for the LP is out. Omori is third last, Joshua second last, and Jason will go last. So we get the two most enchanting long programs at the end of the competition!
  8. pinky166

Didn't Jason skate last at JW last year too? I think they all have good draws. I feel less nervous for Omori skating after Martinez instead of Jin, Martinez is certainly a lovely skater but if Jin should happen to land 2 quads and 2 3a in his FS and put up a monster score, that would be a tough kind of act to follow, especially for someone relatively inexperienced in international competition like Omori. All 3 US men have lovely FS programs so with this likely being the last time we'll see them in competition, I'm wishing them all the best!

If things go well, I'm thinking Shotaro may need his own uber thread :swoon: maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but I think I might already be becoming an uber :lol:
  9. olympic

^^Thanks Pinky and Sylvia.

If Joshua does win Jr. Worlds, that in conjunction w/ his 4th place at Nationals should get him an invite to SA '13? I'll revisit that after the LP, but I think he's a Senior next year.

I'd bet Shotaro remains a Junior, then.

It will be interesting to see Joshua and Jason's final scores after JW.
  10. misskarne

Hopefully Joshua and Jason both end up well ensconced in the top 24 after JW, and so they both get at least 1 GP from that. I wouldn't object to one (or both!) of them getting SA as a second, but I'd also like to see Alexander Johnson at SA, for example.
  11. babyskate

babyskate New Member

Congratulations to Jason and Josh for an incredible showing at Junior Worlds. Can't wait to see video but it appears Jason landed both triple axels and won the FS. So proud of these two young boys who held it together under the pressure. Hurray for Shotoro also. Here is the future of US Mens Figure skating!
  12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Jason and Josh may be threats to make the 2014 Olympic team they way they skated today. Considering that most top US men are not landing quads it makes it a possibility. If Josh starts landing the quad consistently he has a chance considering he finished 4th this season at Nationals. Aaron,Minor,Abbot are the front runners to make the team with Dornbush and Farris right behind them and if Richard ever starts skating like he can i'd put him right in there. Rippon is in danger of being passed up.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

At 18, I believe that they are young men.
  14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If the USFS tells Josh and Jason they should stay Juniors for another year after these performances they need to have their heads examined.
  15. pinky166

They won't. I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing Josh and Jason on the GP next season.
  16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Jason's 224.15 score puts him close to the edge of the top 24 season's best.
  17. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

That was so thrilling from Josh and Jason :swoon:
    I've replayed Jason's 2A, 3A-2T, 3A quite a few times just to enjoy it.
  18. pinky166

Josh's 3a-3t is stunning. And I have to say, I think Jason has overcome Shawn Sawyer in terms of the most flexible male skater category. His layback spin thing was really awesome :inavoid:. It's cool seeing a skater be able to do 3axels and spins like that!
  19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

20. misskarne

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.
  21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Congrats guys!!!
  22. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Yes, congrats guys! Great programs.
  23. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Nice job guys! :respec:
  24. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  25. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Pretty impressive moves for someone who was -5 when that song came out.
    LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  26. skatesindreams

A born entertainer; with Level 4 spins and footwork,
    His jumps aren't bad either!
  27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jason is cool, a very talented figure skater, and a lovely young man! (He doesn't get huge height on all of his jumps, but he's got very good technique, soft knees and good edges, not to mention musicality and infectious enthusiasm). :D

There are a couple of videos on youtube of the You Can't Touch This exhibition performance by Jason, under the lights at An Evening With Champions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULTLwT63urM

Another version of the EWC video was posted earlier in this thread, I believe

Too bad Jason wasn't at least a pewter medalist at Nats so he could have performed this fun exhibition in Omaha. Maybe USFS should allow skaters who don't place high at Nats, but who have rockin' exhibitions, to be included in the gala. :)

ETA:
    It's really great to see the young U.S. men doing so well at junior Worlds! Reminiscent of 2007-2008 Junior Grand Prix Final sweep by Rippon, Mroz, and Armin. Also, a near sweep by U.S. ladies with Mirai and Rachael taking gold and silver that same season at GPF. Even though Courtney and Samantha didn't accomplish the same at Junior Worlds this year, they also came kinda close (at least in the sp). Junior accomplishments aren't always the best indicator of what will happen in seniors, but there are definitely a great many young talented skaters coming up in all disciplines for the U.S., as well as Canada. And, it's nice to see talented youngsters like Michael Christian Martinez from the Philippines, Boyang Jin from China, and Mikhail Kolyada from Russia. :)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  28. misskarne

That needed to come with a warning. I had just taken a sip of my drink when the closeup showed those glasses! :lol:

Shame the crowd didn't seem that into it!
  29. aftershocks

^^ From what's visible on camera and judging by the audio, there weren't too many people watching in any case. I think those who were watching, along with the announcer, were fairly into it. Small crowd didn't seem to bother Jason's enthusiasm and performance quality, not one bit. :)
  30. misskarne

Not at all, and IMO, that's his best gift - to be able to connect with a crowd no matter how many people are in it.

Here is Joshua's ex to "Ain't No Sunshine" - lovely as always, although I retain hope that one day he will stop emo-ing in his exhibitions. ;) LOVE the gorgeous full-length-of-the-ice outside-to-inside spreadeagle.

They both seem to have quite won over the British Eurosport commentators!
    dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  31. aftershocks

British Eurosport commentators are so cool! I love listening to them, even when they over-gush and mis-speak on the rare occasion like they did at 4CCs.
  32. pinky166

Josh is very shy I think, so it doesn't surprise me he picks "emo" songs to skate to in exhibitions, he's probably not comfortable skating hip-hop comedy routines like Jason is, I think taking on that kind of stuff in an EX is hard for many, maybe not Brown or Chen, but they are showmen to be certain and such performers are a rarity among male teenagers. Plus Josh's style is sort of languid anyways, so I thought this number was a good fit. Not sure what to think about the sparkly shirt but otherwise I liked the program. Jason's hat was cool :rollin:
  33. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I love Jason. He has IT:smokin:

The announcer of the gala sounded like Barbara Fusar Poli, I think she did a pretty good job despite the lack of crowds.
    Joshua is turning into a very handsome guy. I hope he brings more personality and character to his performances, all seem too well choreographed at the moment
    Totally shallow, but I wanna see Jason with a haircut or without the ponytail
    I think we even might see both next year at the Olympics
  34. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Jason's exhib was just as nice and maybe a smidge better without the lights. The vest was nice and bright with the lights but the arena seemed too dark in the video so I kept worrying about his safety on some of the jumps, though he is probably used to it. Good job Jason.
  35. Sylvia

Manleywoman has posted a podcast transcrption excerpt from her interview with Kori Ade at 2011 U.S. Nationals here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...l-discussion&p=3857873&viewfull=1#post3857873

Cute video posted today in the 2013 Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry:
    ETA that Jason has finished writing his Junior Worlds blog! http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130225&content_id=41967172&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  36. pinky166

Cute video, they all seem like very sweet kids. Even Joshua seemed less quiet than usual. I'll be interested to see what kind of programs he chooses for next season, he pulls off the tortured artist Jeremy Abbott style off quite well (sorry Jeremy but that's the best way to describe Joshua's exhibitions! Very suave new-age man :p) and same goes for classical but I think he could do a more upbeat or character-driven program justice as well.
  37. skatesindreams

I have enjoyed Jason's blog so much.

Describing his feelings about the FS:

It was a joy for this viewer, too!
  38. misskarne

I'm fairly sure Jason wasn't the only one crying... ;) His LP was just magical.

I do love the description of how Josh's skate "sounded" great. I've always wondered how that must feel, hearing how much the crowd loved the guy before you.
  39. magicpixie

magicpixie New Member

thanks so much for posting this! Loved it! Great split jumps.

I've been watching skating for about 17 years and there are two skaters that I loved instantly upon watching them, Kwan and Lambiel, and now Brown is the third. His movement, style and commitment to his music is just incredible for someone so young. I hope he enjoys much success in the future.
  40. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I was just pondering the amount of will power and love for the sport Josh needed to have to come back from 3 separate almost career- ending injuries in his young life. Quite remarkable. With all the quads that are necessary these days to be at the very top, I hope that his coaching team is somewhat careful; and I also hope that the judging is not turning the other way when having multiple quads becomes equal to high PCS no matter what skater puts on ice. If that happens my head will explode.