The Joshua and Jason Uber Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by misskarne, Jun 15, 2012.

1. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

By request, since we were kinda taking over the US Men's thread in GSD.

Continuation of conversation re: Jason's new music...

I don't know if Jason would look all that good in lavender, but then again, I would have said the same thing about Artur Gachinski before last season, and not only did he make the lavender look masculine, he made it look sexy, too.

It should certainly be a pastel colour or white, just because of the beautiful flowing music. :swoon: I think we might see a detour from his tight-fitting costumes towards a more blousy sort of one for this.

I'm kind of curious to know what he's going to wear for the short.

And to make this Josh-related too, it's apparently got warm in Colorado....

From Josh's twitter

Only 32 degrees? Josh, you sook. :p

I could post my immediate thoughts about this tweet...but he's only 17...

2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I hope Jason gets the triple axel this year. Without it he's just another Rippon with slightly more skating skills. Still i hope both of these kids keep improving because what is passing for Senior men in the US right now isn't going to get it done.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Agree! Unless Ricky gets it together in competition, Ross has success putting a quad in his program, and Adam can clean up his 3a and get that 4s so it's consistently rotated, these 2 might have a good shot at making the 2014 Olympic team, especially if there are 3 spots on it. 2018 may be more their time, but no one has really stepped it up, and Johnny and Jeremy are kind of getting old. Maybe someone will come out of nowhere a la Gracie Gold but idk who this would be. Maybe Max Aaaron if he really does have 2 quads as I have heard, or maybe Keegan if he can come consistent, idk. I really hope Josh starts trying the 4t in his competitive FS this season, might as well just try getting it out there, if he has even some success with it, that coupled with the strength of his 3a and spins could really make him a contender for Sochi, even though it seems like USFS is trying to hone these two more for 2018.

4. misskarne

I think he's already far better than Rippon, but I digress. He really does need it this year or people are going to start throwing him into the "not good enough" basket, even with his stunning skating skills and gorgeous presentation. Every other jump of his is rock-solid and stable. Hell, he even does an entry into a 3S that I've never seen before. It baffles me how this "problem" occurs.

Can't wait to see the results from this little competition, it might tell us a bit about how he's tracking...but of course, I'm more interested in the protocols. ;)

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Maybe Jason and his coach Kori Ade are perfectionists when it comes to technical elements as well as polished presentation skills. It could be that they have focused on the goal of having the 3-axel be as consistent as possible for Jason before just throwing it out there at 50% or even 75% and having JB hit it or miss it. Obviously, he's been working hard on mastering that elusive and demanding extra revolution.

With Jason's amazing talent, as a fan I'm entirely willing to wait until JB and his coach feel ready to debut his 3-axel. After all, he's head and shoulders above most juniors and many seniors with his prodigious talents. Not to mention his effervescent personality, which I hope he never loses. :)

Kudos for all your hard work, Jason. I enjoyed seeing you take part as a skater in some of the YAS3 challenges. Good luck for the upcoming season! Know you and Rohene, with a little help from Prince and Liszt, will knock it out of the ballpark/ skating rink. :cheer:

6. pinky166

Random tidbit but Josh got a trampoline with his prize money. Tim Dolensky posted a video of Josh jumping on it...without a shirt, lol, who was the poster that wanted to see him without a shirt on? :p :lol: If you're his FB friend then now you can! It looks like he was trying a 4sal or 5sal on it but came down backwards, making it a 3.5 or 4.5 trampoline salchow :lol:. Hah but I wonder if this means Dolensky has moved his training base to CO springs or is doing summer training there because the two of them have been posting pictures and videos of the other on FB. Hmm interesting.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  7. misskarne

I seem to recall reading in an article about Jason once that that was effectively the plan; get it perfect first, then put it in. It doesn't surprise me, but it doesn't make me any less baffled about it, haha.

Still, the fact that he tried it at Glacier Falls last year is encouraging, because it must mean that he's super close. Hopefully at Glacier Falls this year we shall see that he is landing it - because I'm sure that when he does get it, it's going to be a gorgeous jump.

I need to be his FB friend. How does one do that? (lol I am a Twitter fiend, but Facebook baffles me.)

I can't wait for January, when I will feel marginally less creepy...:swoon:

Also, trampoline. :lol: Proving that there is a little kid in all of us!

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

aftershocks,
    entire post: :respec:

9. misskarne

Clearly the trampoline couldn't handle Josh's awesomeness....

Whoopsie. I would have thought warranty would have covered it, but maybe warranties on trampolines don't extend to over-excited 17 year old figure skaters trying goodness-knows-how-many-revs jumps...

On the flip side, I hope he's careful. One of the players on my football team is now out for the rest of the season (which runs til September!) because of a trampoline accident.

10. aftershocks

Prince's The Question of U (Jason's sp selection):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chSfulKuu8

Has some similar rhythmic qualities to Blues for Klook, altho' the Prince music is Pop/ Rock, not Jazz.

ETA: I would say tho' there are definitely jazz roots/ influences in this song/ music by Prince

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  11. misskarne

Cheers for the link! *still does not like* :yikes::scream:

This is the moment where I just throw my hands in the air and put my faith in Kori, Rohene and Jason to make this awful music work for him...

Although, this redeems the music choice somewhat:

(From the icenetwork article)

Hands up if you can't wait to see Jason being "smooth and cool"! :p

12. aftershocks

:lol: Jason is young yet, but I believe he's "the real thing." Young man has got skills, range, finesse, charisma and lots of it. To me, even in his young career, he's shown that he can skate to anything. Jason's talent and Rohene's choreo -- a match made in fs Heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tud02T7VmM&feature=relmfu 2010 sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0bm-oRtM 2010 Junior Nats fp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTW6dT3Yjc&feature=relmfu 2011 sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs 2011 fp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4 2012 sp (Nats)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAG9G_m_IM 2011 JGPF sp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYtxwK2wJrg 2011 fp (Flow like water) JGPF gold medalist

And young Josh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSKlicRSEd8&feature=relmfu 2010 Nats
    Even then he had those longest forever legs (somewhat like Abt and Lysacek). :)

Josh's 2011-12 Clair de Lune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXa3I3MoGc8&feature=relmfu (I'm so glad he got new coaches after 2011 Nats)

Josh's 2012 fp at JWC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpYlFPImj4&feature=related

Josh's original 2011-12 fp selection (different music and costume):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ3YfsuiKZg

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

They have to have a joint thread? Are threads more expensive than they used to be? :)

14. aftershocks

:lol: Two for the price of one?

Guess they are sharing their own thread partly b/c they are the two brightest lights coming up in the U.S. among the men currently in the Junior/ Senior transitional stage. Plus they are contemporaries who will probably (from all current evidence) be rivals for years to come. They are apparently friendly with each other, enormously talented and fun to watch as their senior eligible careers take-off.

Good luck to both and may they enjoy excellent careers and equally generous support from their Federation, and from fans. :)

15. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Love it! I cannot wait to see the program.

16. aftershocks

^^ Yes, me too. I do notice definite jazz roots/ influences in this Prince song/ music.

BTW, Prince recently celebrated a birthday and in tribute the below site posted a selection of top ten Prince songs:

http://theurbandaily.com/1213035/top-10-prince-songs/ (Kiss & Purple Rain are on the list).

17. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I just hope that Josh can win the big events this year, and not fall in the long program. He could have easily won Junior worlds and the Final last season

18. aftershocks

^^ Yes, me too. I do notice definite jazz roots/ influences in this Prince song/ music.

BTW, Prince recently celebrated a birthday and in tribute the below site posted a selection of top ten Prince songs:

http://theurbandaily.com/1213035/top-10-prince-songs/ (Kiss & Purple Rain are on the list).

ETA: Hmmm, apparently a lot of Prince's music is blocked from youtube because he sued -- doesn't want his music on there reportedly.

19. misskarne

Jason and Josh make me stupidly excited. You could hear it in the crowd when they gave Jason a standing ovation at 2011 Nationals - they knew they were seeing something special. I think for me it's about the quality of movement and the range of expression. Mishin once said of Plushenko that he was a skater who could play any character or any story. I reckon the same is true of Jason. This is why while I am :yikes: about the Prince music, I'm also :D because it will unquestionably amazing to watch. Just...maybe I'll watch it on mute. :lol:

I notice Jason is settling into a fairly distinct pattern with his programs though - the short is always fast and energetic, and the long is usually slower and more expressive.

SPs
    2010 - Hey Pachuco
    2011 - Baliwood
    2012 - Grand Guignol
    2013 - Prince

LPs
    2010 - Pas de Duex from Nutcracker
    2011 - Puccini's Violin Fantasy on Turandot
    2012 - Flow Like Water
    2013 - Liebestraume

The difference in Josh's skating since he left Z and came under Damon Allen and Christy Krall has been incredible. His Clair de Lune SP was simply breathtaking - especially the JW edition. That's not the sort of direction he was getting before. Apparently he also choreographed part of Clair de Lune himself!

He has the long, long legs and such really lovely soft arms, and it's a gorgeous combination. Unlike Lysacek and more like Abt he always seems to be in control of his long limbs, though. And for an American, his jumps are simply divine. :swoon:

Transformers was the only mistake he and his team made all season. It's a shame, but choreographically it was a bit of a mess and he was just never able to keep up with it properly. The Rach LP was a much better program and he carried it off beautifully.

It just seems to be my experience so far that fans of one generally like or are fans of other :)

I was introduced to both properly at roughly the same time and now they're stuck together in my head! :lol:

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

:)

If there's a rivalry, I don't think it's going to be a bitter one.

Also, just because:

Josh and Jason tour the food at the Junior Worlds banquet

Well, he nearly DID win Junior Worlds...he only missed by half a point and honestly the overall presentation was on a higher standard than Han Yan's...Yan got him on the TES with the quad.

The main one I want Josh to get this year is Senior Nationals. I think he'll be itching for it too. He's never quite strung it together at the Senior level there (2011 excused, of course), but it would be nice to see him own it and see where he ended up. I suspect he could knock off just about everyone if he really turned it on.

I really hope this doesn't mean that Jason's SP videos are going to be blocked on YT! :eek:

20. pinky166

Haven't you heard? This is EVAN-JOHNNY 2.0 :EVILLE:

Just kidding :p

Anyways, LOVE the 2010 vids, they both skated so fantastically and they are both SO CUTE, Jason is so tiny and Josh with his round baby face and long bambi legs is equally adorable. Great jumps. Josh really mastered his tech at an early age didn't he? Doing 3a in competition at barely 15 (mastered by 14) and 3lz-3t at barely 14 (apparently mastered at age 12?!) seems pretty impressive/young to me. So I guess Tom Z did serve him some good, even though the coaching change was obviously a good move as his programs, not to mention his artistry, are both much better now. Plus his PCS have skyrocketed since the 2010-2011 season, and even then he qualified for the JGPF, it's just now his components are on-par with the likes of Rippon and Miner!

I hope Josh can skate well at Nationals, because if he can, I think he's on the podium, and depending on the state of his 4t could potentially snag a spot on the senior world team. Same goes for Jason if he can get the 3a and be rotating/landing it and going for it in the SP and 2 in the FS.

Idk what to think about Jason's SP music, but I'm sure the program will be cool and he'll pull it off well, he always does. I'm sure the FS will be gorgeous. I want to know Josh's new SP music so badly!! I wonder if it will be in the same vein as Clare de Lune or something very different.

The one upside to these guys staying on the JGP: shorter off-season!! We only need to wait until the end of August (or well maybe September depending on assignments) to see these two compete at legit competitions! Wahoo

21. misskarne

I was watching some videos on Youtube, and pipsqueak!Jason skating at Skate for Hope in 2008. Looking at his height compared to Kori's then, and now...he really grew like crazy the last two years. (Plus, cute squeaky voice. And braces. And longer ponytail.)

At least Josh's legs are slightly more in proportion now :lol:

And on my other "weird observations kick", their hands. Jason has really large hands with long elegant fingers (piano player's hands, which apparently he does in his spare time if he has any!), while Josh has much smaller hands but a really pretty way of using them. Josh's hands tend to hit positions that are much softer, while Jason's tend to be harder.

:lol: Creepy and random things I notice.

Sooner depending, I know Jason is doing Glacier Falls which is at the beginning of August! I can't wait! :rollin: Hopefully Josh is doing one of the bigger summer comps as well, I'm not sure I can wait so long! :lol:

Last time I checked Josh's SP music was top secret "If I tell you I would have to kill you", so I guess we won't find out til the first competition maybe. I'm going to miss Clair de Lune. That was just breathtaking. Literally. It will be very interesting to see if they continue in that vein or if they decide to go in another direction. I think it would be very interesting to see Josh skate to something a bit faster, for example.

TopGunTopGunTopGunTopGunTopGunTopGun

EDIT:

Just rewatched his 2010 Nats FS - holy moly. Z may have given him good jump technique but it's not hard to see where the Lysacek comparisons would have started - holy windmill arms batman! There are glimpses of the gorgeous skater inside but they're hidden under atrocious choreo and flailing.

One other thing I noticed: Jason beat him by just TWO TENTHS of a point. Wow.

22. pinky166

2008 Jason is quite possibly the cutest thing I have ever seen.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

24. misskarne

Ah, cheers for the link. So much love for Jason in there! :swoon: I can sympathise with all the reactions - his 2011 LP is probably my favourite one of his so far! :swoon:

Shame Josh's circumstances meant he couldn't make a similar first impact...but he's getting there. ;)

The opening where he says "Very well" in that cute little voice slays me EVERY TIME. :lol:

Oh, by the way pinky - WHAT IS THIS ABOMINATION?! :p (from the first Jason thread)

Josh=Evan I've heard a thousand times, but this is the first time I've ever seen/heard a Jason=Evan...

25. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Any word on Jason's comp last weekend? Triple axel anyone?

26. pinky166

Evan is Jason's idol, he will even admit that. But in the past season, I would say his skating has become very different from Lysacek's, if anything he is more Weir-ish, and not surprisingly, Johnny LOVES Jason. But they do both have nice bendy spins, and actually so does Josh. But beyond that...idk what I was thinking. I don't think either of them are that much like Evan, I think they have the potential to be even better maybe, but between his programs, jumping/spinning style and body build Josh is more Lysacek-eqsue than Jason.

Anyways, Josh has had many great performances at Nationals, just not at the senior level yet. But hopefully that will change soon, he did make the jump to seniors at a very young age after all.

I'm so excited for this fall. I really hope Josh, Jason, and Nathan all tear up the JGP and make the final.

27. misskarne

No word. Dying to know too.

:lol: It's okay. Everyone makes mistakes. :p In all honesty, I can see why there are so many comparisons, but it bugs the hell out of me. I hate comparisons.

Here's hoping Josh tears up Nationals this year. That would be fabulous.

I fully expect Josh and Jason to be at JGPF, it would take something massive to stop them (touch wood no injuries, Josh has had enough for both of them!).

For more cutesyness...

Novice Men's Award Ceremony, 2009, Featuring Tiny!Josh and Pipsqueak!Jason

28. pinky166

Too bad it's not on youtube but at the 2009 Nationals Ex Josh did this cute number to Mack the Knife, he was wearing these big baggy pants and a really long tie and rolled around on the ice. It was really adorable, and he really pulled off the rock and roll theme well, so I wonder if he'll ever try a program like that for a competition...would be interesting to see. I can't believe Jason is a month older than Josh, well now they look the same age, but a few years ago Jason looked like an elementary schooler :p, and actually Josh looks like a baby in that video too, his braces are so cute :).

So I know they don't list entries but does anyone know if Josh plans to unveil his new SP at the Broadmoor Open this weekend? I know Timothy Dolensky is competing his SP there for the first time as a senior man, and I think Max Aaaron is competing there as well? So it would make sense for Josh to compete, especially where he's doing JGP which starts earlier.

29. misskarne

Oh my goodness :lol: I need to see that! I wish he wasn't so invisible when it came to videos!

They both had braces at the same time and now they both have gorgeous smiles :lol: And they both looked so crazily young! You wouldn't believe they were 14 years old in that Novice video, they both looked way younger than that. It wasn't til Junior that they started looking a bit more like their age.

The other two skaters on that podium are much older, but I wonder by how much? It must be the weirdest feeling to get beaten by skaters so much younger. (I mean, I know that feeling, it's happened every time I compete, but I mean at the level these guys are at...)

Four weeks and a day between them. Or, Jason's birthday is around the Grand Prix Final, and Josh's is around Nationals :lol:

(For your random trivia, Jason has the same birthday as Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.)

I've been wondering about that for quite a while. He's doing a very good job of keeping it quiet if he is...but at least we know there's likely to be videos from the Broadmoor Open if he does! :swoon:

Just out of curiosity, why doesn't the Broadmoor Open list entries?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  30. pinky166

This is being discussed in the club competition thread in the Kiss and Cry http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83774&page=3

I don't know why they don't list the entries ahead of time, but I guess this weekend is not that long to wait. In the past, he has competed his SP at Broadmoor Open so it is a possibility but then again maybe not. He never really tweets anything about his skating...

Anyways, Josh has the same birthday as Kori Ade's son/daughter (don't know which?) according to the Jason video from 2010 - January 6th. Randomness. I didn't pick up on Liza and Jason having the same birthday until you mentioned it though, guess it's a good day to be born if you're a skater!

Also I think the year they were novice I think Evans was a lot older, but Yostanto is under a year older than both of them so is also pretty young (born March 1994). I know Josh was the youngest competitor of the novice men that year and Jason's just a month older, but the year they were junior I know the other guys were Max Aaron and Scott Dyer, who are born in 1992 and 1991 so around 3-4 years older, even though in podium picks they all look like babies :p.

Still wish there was some news about that competition Jason skated in last weekend, want to know about the 3a, and just how his programs/skating/jumps seemed in general...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012