The Japanese Skaters May Pull Out Of Cup Of China

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by missing, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

The US skaters made it through the JGP in Turkey, I am sure the Japanese skaters will also be treated with the respect they so deserve. It is about Governments not the people.

2. homura

homura New Member

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

You are right. Japanese are safe, at least so far. But a Chinese man who drove his Japanese car was nearly killed by the demonstrators. So sad they both were Chinese. :(

If such a news was reported in Japan, they must have been afraid. I'm not surprised.

---
    I found. It was reported already.

4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's very strange to me.

If JSF wanted Japanese skaters' safety, why not send official documents directly to Chinese Skating Association or the Chinese organizer after the meeting instead of having an interview with reporters? I mean what they're insisting was what JSF ought to do and 100% correct *without a doubt*, but it's not the very way from my point of view. (I'm sorry, in advance, if they already did that but were flatly refused. I couldn't find it in the article.)

Anyway, hope every single skaters will be okay from the political crisis.

BTW, where exactly CoC is being held in Shanghai? If it's the Oriental Sports Center, that would be the best place for the safety! Far from main towns, No crowds except skating fan, Nothing but the building around and Lots of security check points & guards!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I'm afraid you've got a wrong analogy. Turkey happens to be one of the strongest U.S. allies in the World even though it is an islamic nation.

6. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

I hope that the Japanese skaters are able to compete and there are no incidents at COC.

I didn't know that Toyota was the sponsor of the event, and I wonder if the Toyota name will make the competition more likely to be a target of political controversy in the current climate. Hopefully not.

It also makes me wonder whether the Chinese federation is having trouble attracting sponsors. I can understand the appeal for Toyota, though--maybe they were so interested in being in the Chinese market that they outbid all other offers.

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I agree that's not the best example. But Israeli teams have managed to play in Turkey despite the current tensions between the two countries, and Israeli tennis player Shahar Peer has competed in Dubai and Qatar. This kind of thing is obviously more work for the event security, but it doesn't mean that it's not feasible.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Reading through this thread, one gets the impression that there is going to be impending big trouble, death and disaster in the forthcoming COC. :rolleyes: It's a long time since poor Nancy's knees were knocked. Maybe this drama may be good for figure skating. ;)

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Perhaps next Olympics might get dubbed as the "battle for Senkaku/Daowidao", a la "battle of Carmens" circa 1988.

10. mikeko

mikeko Member

A Chinese man was beaten almost to death just because he owned a Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if mobs target the event because it's called Lexus Cup. The question is if the authority will try to control them or not. They need to let the citizens "vent" once in awhile, or they will attack the authority.

Japanese skaters will avoid CoC from next year, and fewer Japanese fans will travel to see the event. Japanese citizens don't need visa to enter the country, so Japanese fans have been good customers for the Chinese federation. But no more. The federation will have difficulties to attract Japanese sponsors, too.

11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I hate this but what does Turkiye have to do with this ? :confused:

12. mikeko

mikeko Member

When were American athletes, not limited to figure skaters, treated badly in Turkey? I've also heard that Istanbul is a very beautiful and safe city.

13. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I think the original poster was referring to Muslim protests in Turkey over that stupid film that is causing protests throughout the Middle East.

14. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

When the 2011 World Championships were threatened to be canceled, Alissa Czisny wrote lovely open letter imploring that athletes be given a chance to compete. What have we heard from Mao and co? Crickets.

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

A typical Japanese-like reaction to all this. They think rest of Asia will all go broke without their money. :lol: It's arrogance like this that turns off people, not claims over some deserted island, IMO.

I'm sorry I have turn this into an international diplomacy thread. :slinkaway

16. Zemgirl

What does one have to do with the other? Did Czisny wish to compete in Tokyo while Japan was dealing with the aftermath of the earthquake and the tsunami? Would that have been productive? She probably just wanted to be supportive, as many people did; after all, lots of skaters expressed their supports in words and actions.

But what happened there was a natural disaster. What's going on now is a political dispute with potential implications for skaters of specific nationalities. Mao, Dai et al. should stay out of it while the situation and potential safety is assessed.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Japanese tourists were attacked by Chinese in Hong Kong.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dear FSU-sers. Please do not feed the trolls.

Dear Admins. It'd probably be best to either lock this thread before it turns even more ugly or move it into PI. :scream:

19. Zemgirl

I know... (hangs head in shame). I figured it was a matter of time before this thread went places it didn't need to. I'd say move it to PI or to the K&C section.

20. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

Sorry, no intention to offend. I know that the American team was cautious because of the recent release of the movie and the tension it caused.
    It is not the same, however there were similar concerns.

21. tut88

tut88 Member

THat's the real reason !

I think skaters will be safe, anyway.
    It would be sad that they will be forced to withdraw from the competition, not only for themselves missing 1 gp to 2, and for someone possilby the final, but also for figure skating fans that will go to see the competition without big names and less skaters.

22. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

Honestly I don’t like to read any discussions about politics on this board.

Politics should not obstruct any sports.
    Any athletes should have any opinions and the right not to compete or to participate in any competitions or events in the world by themselves.
    And really very hope sports bring peace and happiness to any people in the universe.

23. fscric

fscric Active Member

As far as I know, there was only one incident, they (husband and wife) are not tourists as they have been living in Hong Kong for several years, and the person who attacked them was arrested the next day. Are there other incidents that I am not aware of?

24. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I certainly hope everything will calm down and get straightened out by November. It would be very sad and disappointing if Mao, Miki and Daisuke couldn't compete.

25. mikeko

mikeko Member

Are you saying Japanese skaters and fans do not have the right to fear for their lives? Why do Japanese businesses have to tolerate vandalism and looting? Many of them are looking for a way to exit China because it's too risky. Consulting firms are getting really busy.

The Chinese goverment has started to stop trading goods from and to Japan at ports and airports. Japanese businesses are having a hard time, so are Chinese businesses in Japan.

26. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

That "some diplomat" was Gary Locke, the US Ambassador to China. He is of Chinese descent.

27. mikeko

mikeko Member

A Chinese tennis player is being called a traitor because she decided not to withdraw from a game in Japan.
    http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20120923000068&cid=1101
    "Amid the outpouring of nationalistic sentiment China's top-ranked tennis player Li Na has been called a traitor by Chinese internet users for not canceling a trip to Japan for a tennis competition next week."

This blog article is interesting.
    http://sinother.blogspot.jp/2012/09/ridiculous-china-official-media.html

I have no idea how this will affect Chinese figure skaters who are scheduled to participate the NHK trophy. They will be safe in Japan, though.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

You are making it sound as if Japanese businesses are in China to make some sort of donation. The bottom line is they are their to make money, but if they don't feel risking their own safety isn't worth it, they should be free to get out.

If they can't cope with making losses, they should complain to their own politicians who caused all the havoc, not to Chinese people who are reacting to all the provocations.

29. mikeko

mikeko Member

When did I say that? You are reading too much between the lines.

Your justification to vandalism and violence is quite amusing. Did you tell French the same when the Chinese attacked the Carrefour stores for the free-Tibet protest in Paris?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

FYI, there is a China/Japan thread in the Politically Incorrect forum here on FSU.

I guess you missed seeing my post #5 on the first page? :)

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.