The Japanese Skaters May Pull Out Of Cup Of China

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by missing, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

2. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I actually thought about how this unrest might affect the Japanese skaters. Hopefully things will have calmed down by November. A few years back there was a similar situation with anti-Japanese protests in China (over how World War II was reflected in Japanese school books, I think). The Japanese skaters competed at Cup of China and felt that they were very welcomed by the audience. The fans luckily are not drawn into this politicial controversy.

It would be really sad if the skaters had to withdraw because of security fears. They probably would not be reassigned to other GP events.

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Some of the stories I heard were quite terrifying. While I am not as worried about how the Japanese skaters might be treated by fans, but I am quite worried about how they might be treated by others in the city, from airport to hotel.

By the same token, I wish the USFS would consider carefully about sending Nagasu.

4. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

^ I hope not, so much depth in Cup of China competition

Nagasu ? :confused: she is American
    I doubt anyone would know she is Japanese or consider her one
    as she was born and raised in the US

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Well, Nagasu looks Japanese. :p

Side note: Lexus (of Toyota Motor Co.) is this year's title sponsor of Cup of China:
    http://www.lexus.com.cn/en/news/Info.aspx?id=400
    Excerpt from the Aug. 28, 2012 press release:

6. jlai

jlai Title-less

I share Marco's concern. Non-fans would just look at her last name and make assumptions about her nationality

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

But how would "non-fans" know or see Nagasu's name?

I assume the Chinese federation, through the government, would be able to provide all the necessary security for the Japanese skaters (Tatsuki Machida and Takahashi/Tran are also scheduled to compete) if they decide to make it a priority.

8. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

If I remember correctly, Nagasu has dual citizenships.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. jlai

jlai Title-less

IDs, credit cards, newspaper articles about the event? For casual viewers, skating videos or perhaps TV coverage?

Anyway, I really don't know the answer to the question. But I do know some don't distinguish strongly between Chinese/Japanese and Chinese/Japanese Americans

10. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

In the worse case scenario, I hope that the ISU steps up and reassign the Japanese skaters to other GP. You can have a competition with 12 skaters instead of 10...just like not so long ago.

11. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I think Japan does not allow dual citizenship.

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly, If I remember by the time he/she turns to 21
    he/se needs to choose the citizenship and will have to give up the other
    if he/she wants to be a japanese citizen

Japan has one the hardest citizenship procedures in the whole world

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They do for children up to a certain age. You have to decide at the age of 20 or 22 (different sources say different ages...). The Shibutani's also have dual citizenship under this law.

ETA: Man, someone beat me to it while I was posting.

14. Eislauffan

The protests in China were directed against Japanese shops, restaurants, embassy etc, not necessarily against individuals. I don't think that a mob would gather and attack skaters. I also don't think that protesters would gather in front of the ice rink (which is out of town anyway) or buy tickets to get into the rink and protest there. There was speculation on how some of the protests were arranged behind the scenes by authorities, at least they were tolerated. The Cup of China is not a "Japanese" event, Japanese athletes are just taking part alongside skaters from many other countries. So the competition does not seem like a target for anti-Japanese protests, if orchestrated or not.

Stupid politics, anyway. They just should divide those islands between them.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think if the skaters and the JSF is worried about the safety in China, it is very understandable for them to skip the competition. How can anyone 'guarantee' safety? There are a lot of crazy people in the world.

16. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Pretty sad stuff.

Isn't sport supposed to have us all put our politics aside and just enjoy the competition of athlete vs. athlete? I know, I am being very Pollyanna.

Since both countries have already withdrawn from each other's events in other sports (badmitton, cycling), this could be more than just an "idle threat" on the part of the federations.

17. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

They did not pay attention to the islands until someone reported that there is a huge oil field sleeping under the sea nearby. Sigh...

18. Eislauffan

Yes, I know. That's why I said they should divide the islands (and the oil).

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

This is the official Japanese government stance regarding China's claim to the islands. They are a part of Okinawa Prefecture which was under US administration after WW2 until 1972 when it was returned to Japan.

China shouldn't have any more claim on these islands than it does on Taiwan (which actually has more of a valid claim on the territory than China does :shuffle: ).

Anyway, I'm sure it will all have calmed down by November. :)

20. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

There really was no reason for China to have pulled their athletes out of the event in Japan. As for the Japanese cycling team, they were actually expelled from the event, i.e., they were not allowed to compete by the Chinese organizing committee.

21. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

sad ... because I bought my tickets (and was looking forward to giving you all a "no-teknik" report" from me) ...

I wanted to see Miki Ando and Mao Asada ... :(

22. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

They will be fine as long as they are in the rink.
    To ensure their safety outside the rink, they should pretend to be Koreans just like most of Japanese expats do in the mainland these days.

23. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing, no one outside of skating knows who the Japanese skaters are, and those who know, like their skating.

24. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

If they don't wanna skate, let them pull out. Sounds to me like some skaters want to sit on their butts munching chips instead of competing. I hope they're not reassigned to another GP. Less competition for the other skaters to get into the Grand Prix Final.

25. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Who says it's the skaters' choice? If their federation tells them to stay home, that's what they'll have to do.

That said, I don't think it would be fair to move them to other GPs, either; it would make CoC easier than the other events by some way while other events could end up much more difficult. So long as there is good security in place, I don't see why any changes should be made. Lots of sporting events have taken place in situations in which there are tensions and hostilities, with no problematic consequences for anyone.

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

Um, WHAT?

Or, you know, maybe the fact that Japanese are being ATTACKED in China means they're feeling a bit unsafe about going?

But no, of course they really want to have a secret chip-fest and sit on their couches all day. :rolleyes:

27. Angelskates

misskarne, can you please give me a source for "the fact Japanese are being ATTACKED in China"? As in individual Japanese? I haven't heard any reports, or seen any reports either in international or local media of individuals being ATTACKED. I saw several protests first hand, and none of them had anyone attacking any individuals - and Beijing had the largest (and by all reports, most significant and harsh) protests by far.

The protests have also ended.

Japan and China go back and forth annoying each like this every now and then, it's politics and history. But I didn't hear, see or read of any individuals being attacked.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  28. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

Some diplomat's car was vandalized and storefronts were smashed up - business as usual in the high tension Asian regions. People are acting as if it's a warzone akin to Syria or the Gaza strip. Drama dram drama.

:blah: Didn't Miki Ando already say she only signed up for the GPs because of her contract? She's probably delighted that the Japense Feds are threatening a boycott. Then she really gets to sit home and not bother with skating.

29. Angelskates

:rolleyes: at both comments.

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The Gaza strip should be far safer than Syria at the moment. OTOH, I don't believe that there is a rink available. As for the rest of the comment, give me a break. I don't know about Miki, but I have no doubt that Dai, Mao and TakaTran would love to compete at both their GP assignments and get to do a test run in Sochi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.