The irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu, part II

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by modern_muslimah, Jan 29, 2012.

1. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I know the other thread on Mirai was closed a long time ago but considering how poorly Mirai did tonight, I thought that maybe another thread might be good as well. I know a lot of people are probably disappointed that she didn't do her best and there will be much discussion about her result at Nationals but I also hope that we can give her some words of encouragement too. I hope that'll help give her at least a little bit of confidence.

2. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

MICHELLE WOULD'VE GIVEN YOU THE TROPHY!! WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!!! HOW COULD YOU!?! /tyra

in all honesty though she's still my favorite CURRENT american ladies skater. :( the ice is slippery. she still has time before sochi so I hope she steps it up

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

As Evy so famously quipped about Paul: it's nothing a good lobotomy wouldn't cure!
    She needs to leave all the emo teen bs behind.

4. skfan

skfan Member

you're not seriously thinking of sending our potentially colorful and contentious words to mirai, are you? 0_o

but, just to play along... how about some words from musicals?

i will wait for you. so keep fording every stream, 'til you find your dream. :)

seriously, the moment when the light comes on (and stays on) for mirai is worth waiting for. i hope she doesn't stop looking for the answers, doesn't hesitate to change what's not working.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

This is the wrong time to be falling backwards. People like Wagner, Czisny, Agnes are making their mark, and Gracie Gold will almost certainly do Senior next year. The PCS in the SP already indicate her respect level with U.S judges has fallen somewhat. She had better get it together now, it is really now or never time for her.

6. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I feel like when she goes out to skate, whether she realizes she's doing it or not, she has this expression on her face like she doesn't know what she's doing, she doesn't belong out there, and she's counting the seconds until it's all over.

She didn't have this expression several years ago. What brought this on?? It's not like everyone around her is telling her her skating sucks and she's got crap technique and her win four years ago was a fluke. I don't know anyone that would even hint at such a thing. And yet, she seems to have it in her head that she's not good enough and we shouldn't expect anything from her because she's going to let us down. Self-fulfilling prophecy as it were.

I hope she does see a therapist and I also hope she and her family would figure out a way for her to train without the 4 hour car ride. That can't be helping anything either.

7. berthesghost

Actually, it seems just the opposite. just when she does really well and everyone is noticing her, she decides to fall apart and disprove everyone's compliments.
    2008 surprise win gets her praise.
    2009 she implodes.
    2010 4th at olys gets her praise.
    2010 worlds she implodes.
    2011 she just misses world team but after medaling at 4cc people start saying she should have been sent to worlds.
    2012 she implodes.

8. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

I was heartbroken for Mirai tonight. She is a superb skater and I just hope she is able to feel more confident out on the ice. I still love her and will continue to follow her skating.

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

As mentioned on the broadcast, something and/ or everything seems to distract Mirai. So its probably not one thing but many things that have combined to keep her unfocused. For this season, in particular, it seems to me that Frank's approach for Mirai was all wrong. I don't think either of the music selections, particularly the fp music are right for Mirai's personality. Possibly it might have helped had she been more inspired by her music and happy skating to it. Mirai is not MK, and unfortunately Frank seemed to have been trying to take that route with Mirai this season. In addition, what was it that Frank said about Mirai feeling better with her ballet teacher at the boards instead of Frank???

It's been mentioned before, but perhaps Mirai's personality is not melding with Frank's approach to coaching -- which is not a put-down of Frank. Maybe or maybe not, finding a coach who might be able to figure out the best way to get Mirai to learn how to focus could help her, if indeed, Mirai truly still has the heart for skating. But also, maybe it is hard for Mirai, and/or her family to even think about leaving a legendary coach such as Frank. Still, the approach was all wrong this season, and this year I am not unhappy that Mirai did not make the team. I do hope she digs deep to re-find the fire and the desire, and the best way to regroup. With her talent, Mirai could be a 3-time National champion by now.

10. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Mirai will always be my #1 skater. <3 I love everything about her.
    I'll cry is she struggles and cheer when she succeeds. :p

11. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I don't get the sense Mirai is all that into skating nowadays. I thought it was telling in that one phone interview she did that the topic she had the most to say about was the tv show Chopped on the Food Network. She is reminding me of Tim Goebel when he started to decline, and he came up with all these excuses for not training properly, etc. But in the end, he just wasn't that into it anymore.

Mirai has been phoning it in for awhile now--she's not very fit anymore, she's not focused when she skates, she doesn't "push" when she competes, and when she does interviews she is more focused on engaging in leisure activities than practicing/competing.

Maybe she just needs to take some time off and figure out her priorities. I think it's kinda pointless for her to barely tread water as she's currently doing.

FSfan107 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I seriously wonder if she'll continue with the sport. She doesn't seem to love it.

I adore Mirai and would hate to lose her enormous talent, but I just hope she finds something that makes her happy. She's an adult now and needs to make her own path.

13. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

:fragile: I don't know what was wrong ... There was no reason for what happened :(

14. iarispiralllyof

yes I think it may be that she's not as in love with the sport anymore.

she was always this extremely bubbly, upbeat girl and I don't really see that anymore..

her circumstances aren't ideal..isn't she commuting every day to train, and how is her mom's illness? honestly even if she has already peaked, to place 4th at an olympics is very respectable. at one point she had one of the most gorgeous spin combinations in the sport...

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Mirai has TONS of talent. She's got to find some way to harness it, she can do it but she's got to sit down and really think this through. If she still wants this-and I believe she does-she's going to have to change her coaching situation NOW. It can't wait. Two years will go by like nothing. She also has to start going for those 3/3s she says she's been training in competition. Everyone has imploded at one time or another. Unfortunately it happened to Mirai at the worst possible moment. She's the only one that can turn this around and it's got to come from within. No one can want it for her-she's got to want it for herself. Her training partner Evan did everything in his power to win that Olympic gold. Apart from Frank he worked with skaters like Lucinda Ruh on spins, etc. Mirai needs to work on those jumps, etc. but she needs to find her mojo first. I won't give up on Mirai-she's just too good.

16. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I too think its time for Mirai to move on from Frank C.
    and find some sort of new motivation that she has been missing for so many seasons now. :(

17. iarispiralllyof

But Mirai always says he's the best coach ever and she wants to stay with him forever..

Is it Frank that's the problem?

18. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think she needs to change it up. Frank is an awesome coach but if it's not working it's not working.

And a World medallist.

Mirai is only 18 years old. Skaters like Alissa and Carolina Kostner seemed to find their mojo after 20. Carolina Zhang and Ashley too are proof that even if it's not happening year in, year out one shouldn't give up on the dream. Mirai may still find what it is that she needs to get her over that hump. I don't believe she's done yet, nor should she be done yet. She's in a slump but she can get past it with lots and lots of hard work, and perseverance.

19. bek

bek Guest

Nobody doubts that Mirai is more than talented enough to be a major champion in this sport. I think what people question is if Mirai wants it bad enough to put in the hard work necessary.... For me Frank's words last year about Nagasu having motivation issues because of her "great Olympic season" were really telling IMO.

Mirai finished fourth at the Olympics; and while it was a great showing. One would think that showing would also make her a bit angry/hungry. I.e I was that close; I'm going to work that much harder so that I win that World title next year. Instead the next year; we have her coach saying she was hard to motivate. If just missing an Olympic medal doesn't motivate you, what will? I hoped last year was a wakeup call but well it wasn't.

I think that's the issue people have with Mirai. I don't think people had similar motivation questions about the other girls you mentioned. I don't recall ever seeing Kostner or Alissa even at their most disasterous skates; phoning in performances.

And as for Mirai's just in a slump. It seems to me most of Mirai's senior career has been a slump. She's been eligible for four world teams, and has only made one. And that was after winning the National title as an age ineligible skater.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  20. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I don't get the sense that motivation was the issue for Mirai this season. Frank hasn't indicated that this is the case this season. Additionally, Mirai looked fit and practice reports indicated that she was fit and focused during practice. Additionally, Mirai did summer competitions to get her programs out early. So I don't motivation is the issue.

Mirai doesn't look happy when she's skating in competition and lately, she looks scared as hell. I really think she needs a coaching change and/or a sports psychology. She has known issues with her confidence and staying the moment in competition, especially after she makes a mistake. Instead of moving on, it seems she stays stuck on the mistake and it just snowballs, causing more mistakes.

She's going to have to make a major change and also take more ownership of her skating as well. I really think that would help a lot in giving her more confidence. Maybe Mirai needs to pick her music, her programs, her choreographer. She needs to be more introspective and figure out who she is as a skater. She's 18 now, so she and only she needs to owns her skating.

If Spartacus doesn't inspire her, don't skate to it! If something upbeat inspires her, then skate to it! I don't think her coaches, choreographer or parents can do this for her.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I don't think she has the work ethic and never has. She's always stated she'd rather go to the beach than train. She's got by on talent, but that isn't enough if you want to be a competitive skater. Zhang and Wagner are too good examples of skater who do have that ethic. Zhang has worked has butt off to get where she is and I think the results of this competition will make her work all the harder. Alisa and Carolina have gone through some rough patches, but they've persevered because they trained harder when things weren't working. Their competitive careers are going to end on a high note. I've always had the impression Mirai liked being a champion but she didn't want to work for it. You can fix skating problems if the skater is willing to do the work. Mirai doesn't know how to fight. No coach can give her that. It has to be something inside the individual that pushes them to succeed.

22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Mirai has 2 choices IMO-

1. Quit. See ya. I'm more interested in living a 'normal' life. Go to college. Decide on a career. Maybe come back to skating as an official or something when she's older.

If she wants to continue skating -

2. See a therapist (if she isn't already) to work out her relationship with her parents / family (I think she's alluded to the fact that she feels a lot of 'demand' from them) her self-esteem (I don't deserve things in life and I'm not pretty) Scott during the broadcast said someone in the audience yelled out her name during the LP and she turned to look. It sounds like she is abnormally distracted.

3. Leave FC - Logistically, the drive is too long and psychologically, the relationship is stale. It also looks like from their body language that they only annoy and frustrate each other. I remember the stories a couple of years ago about how tough he was with her, but I'll bet she's developed a coping mechanism of 'passive resistance' to him because she might resent it after so long. That is ruining her skating career faster than anything else. On a lesser note, I think she might feel now as an adult that she's entitled to more input in her programs and FC is ironclad in his training system. FC is probably beyond frustrated that he has the biggest talent in the world, but can't make it happen.

I would recommend going to someone like RA who is 1) much closer, 2) trains at a rink at altitude, and 3) has a rep as a good jump coach. RA already has experience training Mao, whose body type and jump technique was similar to Mirai's

I don't have the answers, just my $.02

23. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

To be fair, practice reports at Nationals said that Mirai was amazing in practice, so she had definitely trained. I think the problem (besides her coaching situation) is her head. She needs to see a sports psychologist. They have wonderful things to other headcases, and they can do the same to Mirai.

24. bek

bek Guest

I have a hard time thinking motivation isn't an issue with Mirai-even now. Look at how annoyed the US commentators are with Mirai, and how much nicer they are towards people like Alissa (who also struggle with consistency issues)

She's certainly not skating like she wants it; she's been phoning in performances all season long.

Practices don't always mean everything though. Mirai is an incredible talent who probably can practice well. Its when the pressure is on that the work really shows. Maybe the issue here wasn't lack of training but I think its clear something is wrong. And I have a hard time thinking that Frank (and I believe Lori) would be as annoyed looking with Mirai as they look if Mirai was doing what they were asking her to do.

My thing is for Mirai herself to say that she needs Evan to help motivate her is just a bit much for me. Sure a good training partner can definetely help; but big time champions are motivated internally.

25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Yes, I was very troubled when Mirai said that.

26. bek

bek Guest

The thing is that I think Mirai is very talented and I'm not sure I blame her if she's "not all in skating" I don't know if I could be that dedicated about something.

But I'm just a little annoyed with the making excuses for Mirai; because I think the last thing Nagasu needs is people making excuses for her.

27. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Nagasu reminds me a bit of Alissa Czisny at the same age. If Czisny managed to toughen herself up, the irrepressible, exasperating Mirai Nagasu can do it too. She's got all the technical and presentation skills she needs to be a champion.

I wonder what Nagasu is planning to do in the fall. She has reportedly been admitted to U.C. Irvine, which is just as far from Cathedral City and Lake Arrowhead as Arcadia is. Is she going to defer admission for a year? Go part time? (Can she do that?) Find a new coach?

There is a rink in Mission Viejo and a pretty good coach there named John Nicks. :shuffle:

Can you imagine the :drama: if Wagner and Nagasu shared a rink, let alone a coach?

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Honestly, Mirai hasn't been Mirai since she choked in the LP at 2010 worlds.

I like her as a person, from what we know about her, and I just want her to be happy and reach her full potential as a person. Maybe skating isn't for her.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  29. berthesghost

Csizny and Zhang had major jump issues they had to chuck out and relearn, as well as move up from "b list" coaches.

Mirai has the entire world at her feet and just chooses to chuck it all away, and that's why people are starting to write her off.

30. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member