The Iron Lady's Anglosphere Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Sep 27, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

This thread will be an opportunity for all of us in the Anglosphere and the English speaking nations around the world to celebrate the accomplishments of our Commonwealth in this season of skating.

I hereby inaugurate this thread with a cheer for Brook Lee Han. She fights her way admirably at Nebelhorn to keep Australia in the fine Anglo-Australian tradition of ladies figure skating.

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

Brooklee. It's Brooklee Han.

And as an Australian I am not very comfortable with your phrasing in this thread so far.

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I agree with misskarne. And why can't we just celebrate every skater's accomplishments?

4. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's alright. We have the Commonwealth Games so I don't see any problem in having a Commonwealth celebration here. HRH is still Australia's Queen.;)
    Ironlady, why not copy the vids of skaters from Commonwealth countries to this thread, particularly the lesser known countries. I would like to know who they are.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. misskarne

misskarne #408

The issue is not celebrating the Commonwealth skaters - I too am "why not" there.

The issue is the repetitive use of the term "Anglo".

6. spikydurian

I am not Anglo-saxon and has no issue with the word 'anglo'.:D

7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Brooklee and all the other colonial skaters!

8. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

What has happened to The Iron Lady? This was her last post to date. Hope she is okay

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  9. spikydurian

I wondered too.:D

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think HE might have just p*ssed off one person too many.

11. AndyWarhol

The Iron Lady is ok. She is having a rest.

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I don't think saying Anglosphere means anything offensive. It just refers to people from nations associated freely with the Commonwealth along with the USA who all were affiliated with the British at one point and share some traditions. If I wrote a post about Francophone skaters and included Joannie Rochette I don't think Québécois fans would be offended. Canada is actually a dual-language country--and Joannie is just as much a Commonwealth skater as Brooklee--but most members of The Commonwealth of Nations speak English as well as other languages jointly. It's just a matter of history, and Britain did help pioneer figure skating.

13. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

It might be considered offensive depending on the context because I remember a time when Anglo was associated with exclusivity. However, as you said, there are other spheres with language suffixes, like:

Francophone
    Hispanophone
    Lusophone
    Russophone
    Sinophone

and anyone with international exposure would probably know this. I do not think it could to be a far stretch to assume the typical person in this forum would have some international exposure, even if only by way of the internet, since figure skating is very international.

. . . :shuffle: although it does speak to the pittiful state of the Anglosphere when it is very rich but can not produce more medalists . . . they have the two top ice dance teams and Patrick Chan spread over two countries. Compare that to the Russosphere.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am DEEPLY OFFENDED, o IronLady. Clearly, your heart lives up to your name... :shuffle:

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am rooting for Jenna McCorkell to make it to the free skate. She almost made it in Sochi. I know you secretly are on her side because of your shared love for Kevin.

16. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

You must have missed the flame war that erupted here a few years ago when objections to the DomShabs Olympic SD costumes were described as something like "a controversy invented by the Anglo-Saxon media."

There were multiple threads of multiple pages devoted to pretty furious :argue: about whether or not referring to entire nations of mixed ethnicities could be described as Anglo without being racist.

:scream:

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Francophone people use Anglo-Saxon to refer to everything Anglo-American. It's a common term. It has no ethnic or racial connotation. It can have derisive meaning, but I say this because I recently heard a French speaker use Anglo-Saxon interchangeably with the word childish.

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Go Jenna, Brooklee, Kaetlyn, and Gabrielle!!!!

19. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Heh, I forgot about that. Good times. And the episode made the critics point that Anglo culture is hyper sensitive. Kinda reminds me of Arnold calling the Democrats girlie men, only to have them reinforce the stereotype.

20. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Our British and Canadian Roses gave it their all.

It looks like Gabrielle and Jenna both have a chance to make to the free skate.... Quite a few skaters to go yet...

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Kevin lost me when he married her...I won't wait around for anyone :drama:

22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The honor of the Commonwealth is restored. All the Commonwealth skaters qualified to the free skate with Kaetlyn Osmond leading the way.

23. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Would just like to point out that West Indies, Bermuda, India, New Guinea were all part of the Commonwealth. So how can the term "racist" possibly apply here?

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Go Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman! Stone the flaming crows!

25. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

A denotative meaning of connotation: an idea or feeling that a word invokes in addition to its literal or primary meaning.

Connotations are defined by the recipients of a message, not the messengers. This doesn't mean people aren't often unreasonable in their reactions, only that connotations are theirs to interpret. And as others have pointed out, there are people who do believe that the word Anglo in this context could have offensive connotations. I would guess that these people are not likely to be Francophone and therefore aren't terribly concerned about the connotations Francophones take from the term.

The word "commonwealth" was not the one in question.

I don't find the term "Anglo" offensive. But other people do.

Of course, that might be the point for all I know.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

We could change this to a Commonwealth-only thread, which would mean excluding the Americans and the Irish.

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The Commonwealth looked rather embarrassed tonight. At least Kaetlyn looked pretty, but overall it was not a good night for the Queen's dominions and Commonwealth realms. And her own kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't do well by having its sole British lady withdraw.

The Iron Lady herself couldn't be happier due to the victory of the one and legendary chairwoman Mao, but these Commonwealth matters eventually need to get sorted out, especially with the talent at the top of Canada.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  28. AndyWarhol

The Queen will be cross.