The Inside Edge with Sarah and Drew

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by dupagegal, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Ok what's going on with Drew Meekins? He has been on Icepartner search since like August of 2006?......Just kidding a long time. Is there any news about a possible partner for him? It would have to be someone that matches his jumping ability. Is he going to skate or just do the Sara and Drew show?
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I thought he had found another partner, but then she left him too.

I'm guessing at this time, he's probably done :(
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Yes, he paired up with Jessica Rose Paetsch in 2008 (?). They competed at 2009 US Nats and I think a few other comps in 2008 and 2009. They had qualified for nationals through regionals and sectionals and it was maybe a month before 2010 nationals that Jessica quit. I think he may, unfortunately, be done, unless he wants to do show skating or go on a cruise ship or something like that.

However, his blogs with Sarah are usually HILARIOUS. And often informative, too!
  5. Sk8Mom2

Sk8Mom2 New Member

Drew's only 25 (26 next month) don't count him out yet.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Drew's jumps aren't going to improve simply because his age increases by +1. If he doesn't have a consistent triple by now then it's not going to happen.
  7. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Well then I guess it's a good thing that he already does have a consistent triple. :rolleyes: Drew has a very reliable triple salchow, and I think I heard that he's also got a triple loop (not totally sure about that). At any rate, the guy can definitely skate (he's a junior world champion, for cripes sake) - he just needs to find a partner.

Here's Drew in a solo number.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a gorgeous performance. What beautiful flow and control he has. Thanks for posting this!
  9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

One landed triple in a utube video performance doesn't prove that Drew has a consistent triple anything. Plenty of skaters with inconsistent jumps can post video of themselves landing very nice triples. It's a nice program from Drew though.
  10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Something about that choreography is extremely awkward. Can't put my finger on it...
  11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I still say steal Rena from John and pair up Rena and Drew :lol:
  12. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

I have to agree that Drew is done.......but the interesting point here is it didn't have to be that way. I thought he loved skating and competing. He has had lots of opportunity to skate with partners.....this is the mystery....? Did he have some injury we didn't know about? Did he have a melt down? Just an amazing downward spiral considering he was world junior champ with Julia Vlassov at one point....we know she grew....and the whole Vlassov (Julia's father) program dissolved.... He went to Colorado and essentially didn't do much....And I can't believe he didn't have opportunities.....mystery?
  13. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

why did the vlassov program dissolve -- where in colorado does he coach / how's he doing out there?
  14. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Well, Drew is still very active sending messages on his Twitter account. (I'm a subscriber. He's a hoot.)
  15. Sylvia

Alex Vlassov and his wife, Laura Amelina, are coaching in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, AFAIK.
  16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Pairs in the USA is not a humorous matter. It's a desperate situation with wasted talent on all sides of the road.
  17. Sylvia

I personally don't think US pairs is in that desperate a situation. It's a really tough discipline to learn and do well, let alone with two people together.

(BTW, in case no one noticed this is an old thread that was bumped up today... LilJen posted her tongue-in-cheek suggestion about Rena Inoue before it was known she is pregnant. :p)

And here are their blogs since I last posted:

June 3

May 19

May 6

April 13 (Ice Chips show)

March 29
  18. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

(I had also posted my joking suggestion before the Denney/Coughlin pairing, when we still thought that the Denney/Barrett breakup was just an ordinary breakup.)