The infamous "hooker on crack" program

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by all_empty, Feb 20, 2013.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

It's been the stuff of legends and up until now there's only been a grainy version from Trophee Lalique on YouTube.

But cantahalfloop uploaded three versions of Laetitia Hubert's "hooker on crack" program from each of her Grand Prix performances (she was seeded in 1998/99).

Skate Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avdiE1QJiFw (watch with the close captioning for extra enjoyment)

Trophee Lalique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Xzp-7ibrY (the ending is painful)

Cup of Russia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyADS-p4I4 (Amber Corwin enjoyed it)

I have to say Canada was my favorite, with the unfortunate fall, the jittery street walk, the hideous layfront spin and the crotch shot.

I actually liked her 1998 programs, and all the jazzy stuff she's done. It's a shame, but I can't figure why she would put out a program like this, especially with so much prize money at stake.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

What pairs team was it that did a domestic abuse program?

3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

4. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I'm at work but I'm going to a meeting room to view them right now!

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Those German pairs ... such innovators! That's a very dynamic and powerful program skated with verve, emotion and tension, but the theme is difficult to portray effectively throughout a competitive program. The mood was well-depicted in the opening and they remained in character throughout, but the actual concept did not get that well incorporated into the choreography except for the opening and closing bits of sturm und drang.

Maybe it might have worked more effectively for an ice dance couple?

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I loved them (especially him) and this program. Even if their 1998 LP and 2000 LP are still my favorite, and two of my all time favorite !

7. VIETgrlTerifa

I agree.

It was a brave choice, and I like it when skaters try to push the artistic boundaries, even if it delves into difficult subject matter.

However, I'm not sure a pairs routine or at least this pairs routine was really that successful. There were too many "ta da" pairs moves in-between the opening and ending of the choreography that detracted from the theme.

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Something like this?

I don't know if there was supposed to be an overarching theme to that free dance or what it was supposed to be.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's smack, surely, not crack. Note the beginning and ending choreography.

One thing that always gets me about these videos is how the commentators never refer to the theme of Hubert's program. Were they completely oblivious to it, or were they under instructions to ignore it?

10. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I have never heard of this! :eek: Why did she want to portrait a hooker doing drugs? Was it a big scandal back then? I can't imagine anyone skating to such theme nowadays.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

It may have been a bigger scandal had she been more successful in landing her jumps with it and placing higher or if she had competed at Worlds and Euros.

12. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

:lol: Priorities...

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

In a similar vein, how did she list it on her ISU bio? Did she give any interviews explaining what the program's theme was?

14. Clay

Clay Active Member

I've never officially heard of the theme of this program from the Hubert camp. Just that the French Fed didn't care for the program. She returned to the "Dead can Dance" program at French Nationals. She had a new program (Indochine) for Worlds, but withdrew.

So...it seems no one knows the music unless they had a Media BIO sheet from Skate Canada 1998. That would be the one thing I would ask about, but I guess no one asked since she never medaled that fall. On the other hand, maybe that's part of the mystery of this legendary program.

Watching all three versions at once is like watching a Groundhog Day. Her efforts were similar in each outing and the commentators had the same depressing tone each time.

15. Vagabond

Actually, Laetitia Hubert says what it is on her own website: "musique de M. Bretomeu," 'music of Mr. Bretomeu." http://laetitia.hubert.free.fr/fr/index.htm

After a little :sekret: research, I strongly suspect that the "M. Bretomeu" in question is Thierry Bertomeu (note the different spelling), a musician, composer, and sound engineer who has worked in such modes as New Wave and hip hop and who has worked with Brian Eno, Cesario Evora, and Serge Gainsbourg, among others. Some of the pieces on his myspace page sound like the music in Hubert's program.

I assume that Hubert worked with her coach and choreographer to develop the concept and that it wasn't explicitly the subject of Bertomeu's music, but maybe it was. Or maybe "M. Bretomeu" wrote it expressly for the program. I would love it if someone (*cough* manleywoman or cholla *cough*) interviewed her about this program.

And now I see that cholla was going to interview her: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?82444-Laetitia-Hubert-video-interview

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I wish more people who skate to Requiem would do a more accurate interpretation of the film.

17. aftershocks

:eek: Looks like a love story gone bad, skated to the blues. Perhaps they were playing out the break-up that was happening in their marriage too. ;)

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I can totally see Ashley Wagner attempting such a theme next season; especially as it's Olympic year. She's clearly saving her best for Sochi.

:p

19. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Didn't Hubert explain that on her way to train at her rink everyday, she would see women living on the streets as prostitutes, and she wanted to use the program to draw attention to that issue? Or am I just making that up? :eek:

After some googling I found this quote from http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_sk8can/sk8ca98l.htm

Besides the obvious fact that person who wrote that clearly had no taste,:rolleyes: it shows that the concept was known at the time the program debuted at Skate Canada. I could swear I remember hearing that she released a statement/explanation about the program there to the media at the time too, but it was so long ago.

20. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The French skaters have sometimes portrayed characters without having enough concrete feeling for the role. The movements of Laetitia as prostitute are all abstract. Comedy and camp can result from this sort of theatricality.

21. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Love, love, love this program. Half jokingly and half for real. I lose it every time the police sirens start. :rofl: And the seizure at the end is just incredible. :inavoid:

Thank you for being a bull in a china shop, Laetitia Hubert! :kickass:

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Isn't this the music from the French film Indochine?

23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

"PLOP"

lmao the closed captions on the SC video!!!

24. aftershocks

:eek: It looks like a love story gone bad being skated to the blues. Usova and Zhulin were so great together on the ice, and it's too bad that they came to prominence at the same time as Klimova and Ponomarenko. The linked clip is from 1993, when it's also likely that cracks were increasingly developing in U/Z's off-ice marriage.

25. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

I remember when the black and white Lalique video of this performance surfaced, probably around 2001. It was the first time most non-Canadian fans had ever seen the program, and it was making big waves even back then. I did a lot of searching for the music on every single Amazon short-clip I could find pertaining to the suggestions I had gotten (I remember someone had thought it was on a 'La Femme Nikita' soundtrack), but it's always resorted back to Maxim Rodriguez, even though I do remember the Thierry Berthomeu mentioning and even an article which said he composed the music.

26. aftershocks

:lol: The captions are even more hi-larious than Laetitia's :inavoid: effort to bring this concept/ slice of life (cut of cocaine addicted irreality) to the ice. Looking back at this, ITA with Louis' apt description (bull in a china shop). Laetitia was kind of slow and slippery over the ice, much as a bull might be too. :p But, with such unique creativity, chutzpah, and outside the box thinking, it's a shame that Laetitia's technical skills were not as 'out of the ballpark' as the effin' wonderful way her mind seemed to work.

After looking at the recent video interview, ITA that Laetitia has simply not aged at all (not unlike many French women). In fact, Laetitia seems to have grown into her looks.

:rofl: samples from the caption transcript:

[plop]

[the music gets louder and weirder]

[♪ saw blade violin sounds ♪]

[♪ more kooky percussion beats ♪]

[police sirens (really)]

[♪ bizzare trip hop beat ♪]

[another weird moan]

[shows crotch to tv cameras] :eek: :rofl: Without the caption I might not have noticed. :p

^^ Great captioning, but I guess they got distracted and forgot to mention the rather insistent and stabbing drumbeat toward the end before Laetitia goes into her ending spin, penultimate to her writhing dramatically backward to the ground with rhythmic withdrawal symptoms.

That closing spin was quite good with very creative positions. :judge:

I shudder myself just thinking of her possible base value, GOE and PCS marks under IJS, particularly for the crotch move -- which was surely unintentional, unlike how the captionist describes it. ;)

ETA: Those naughty tv cameras!

Kinda interesting that Laetitia's skate appeared well before Johnny Weir burst upon the senior scene and annoyed and offended many with his offhand 'icicle on coke' description of his Dr. Zhivago costume. But then again, maybe outrage in some quarters was the reason why Laetitia didn't skate this program at Worlds.

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

In general, I'd say that Hubert tended to be one of the fastest skaters in the world. That was certainly the case at 1998 Worlds, which was the only time when I saw her skate live.

High speed, as well as not looking where she was going, probably contributed a lot to this infamous practice crash.

Probably she skated less fast when she was injured or struggling technically, which may have been the case in these fall 1998 videos.

I think the problem was not that she skated slowly, but that she skated faster than she could always control. She probably needed that speed to complete triple jumps, to get more height, since she didn't rotate especially fast. But she could cover the ice at great speed during footwork as well.

And she wasn't as graceful or agile or light on her feet as some other skaters, which could give the "bull in china shop" impression.

But I would never describe her skating as slow.

28. aftershocks

^^ Thanks gkelly. To my eyes, Laetitia seems incredibly slow in the SC performance, but that was likely partly due to the slow rhythm of the music and the way the program was constructed. Since you mention it, and upon more recall, I suppose she was usually more speedy. Maybe viewing her recent Caesar's Tribute skate contributed to my impression, but of course, 20 years later, it's quite normal to have lost speed and technical ability.

If in fact, Laetitia needed more speed to execute her jumps well, then the slower speed of the "Hooker on crack" performance must have been a bit problematic. Although, her early 'plop' was obviously due to touching the boards.

As far as Louis' bull in a china shop description, I'm the one who extended the analogy. :) I take it that Louis admirably and affectionately intends his descriptive metaphor to be a compliment, in the sense that Laetitia always took a more stubborn, out of the ordinary, creatively wacky approach to her skating rather than the traditionally expected porcelain princess, china-doll lyricism route.

29. Vagabond

Except that, as the female commentator on the Skate Canada video (Sandra Bezic?) says, she was "moving with a great deal of speed" into her opening combination, which she turned into a popped solo jump.

It is very difficult to judge a skater's speed from most television videos, since you usually can't see the size of the rink or any fixed points as the skater moves across the ice.

30. aftershocks

^^ Quite right, Vagabond. That tends to happen all the time. Many fans often point out that their impression of particular skaters is so different seeing them live. (Figure skating is such an illusory illusion ... amplified by watching on tv. :p)

Must be something to do with the stationary positions of the tv cameras, and the editing. Too often the directors of skating broadcasts annoyingly cut to jarring and limited close-ups on the face or the feet (instead of providing split screens on such occasions). That kind of cutting detracts from a whole perspective, as well as from enjoyment of performances.

I think Skate America and maybe IN were the only performances of D/W's Giselle SD where the camera showed their entire bodies when they were doing the majorly important toe work that preceded their Yankee Polka -- such a sublime program.