The ICE 2012 tour in Japan, July 21-29

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 11, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Splitting this post off from the Japanese skater news thread:
  2. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Great cast!
  3. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

4. masofs

masofs New Member

Mao looks so lovely.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Davis and White headline tsunami relief shows (press release): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120712&content_id=34860486&vkey=ice_news
    ETA video of Mai Asada teaching dance moves to fans for this year's show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgLpgqv5d80&feature=plcp
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^^ Very honorable of them!
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    What a lovely thing to do!
  8. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

YAY:cheer:Great Tour!!
  9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

10. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I cannot wait to see Mao
  11. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Mai looks so charming!! Wheeee:respec: I heard girl's group number is annouced to be coreographed by Mai and Yuka Sato together. Can't wait to see it.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  12. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

13. Amy03

Amy03 New Member

thaanks for new clip
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. sarah009

sarah009 Member

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

16. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

The first show just started.
    Mao and Jeff (Mai was the moderator) had a talk session during the intermission.
  17. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

18. sarah009

sarah009 Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  19. magnolia

magnolia New Member

I saw the afternoon version of The Ice last night! It was the night where the men shone, I thought.

Jeff, of course, made me cry with his beauty, but the one that impressed me the most was Kozu!! He was THE master of edges, and I think he is skating much more powerfully than before. I really think many aspects of his SS surpass Patrick's.

Also, I was impressed with Takahito Mura's performance. His style reminded me of how Yuna used to skate. Very powerful, broad strokes.

I was a little startled with Mao's new Mary Poppins exhibition. It does not measure up to the majesty of Jupiter, but I suppose she is just showing another side to her performance ability. She does a double-axel holding an umbrella, and her outfit is quite elaborate and makes jumping difficult, I think. She succeeded in doing a very nice flip but doubled or singled her loop. I think there were some transitions leading right up to all the jumps so what with her costume, I believe jumping in her exhibition is going to be something of an ordeal for her.

The men's group number that Jeff choreographed was just wow.
  20. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

21. sleepypanda

sleepypanda New Member

Thank you for your report, magnolia! :)

I've read tweets about the men's group number, and I really, really want to see it! It sounds amazing! I'm so jealous of those who were able to make it to the shows. I'm glad you had a good time!
  22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I love Mao's Mary Poppins dress. Her exhibitions dresses are always such a better look than the competitive ones.
  23. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. Mao looks so sweet as Mary Poppins!
  24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

25. arakwafan2006

when is footage going to be uploaded? I AM DYING TO SEE...
  26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Me too!!
  27. skatesindreams

Sometimes the organizers upload it themselves.
    We'll just have to wait.
  28. arakwafan2006

I know i know but surely someone sat in the crowd and uploaded some footage...i'm dyin here.
  29. martyross

martyross New Member

30. arakwafan2006

yes... where the hell did mary poppins come from? did Mao even know about her? Do japanese children really grown up with Poppins? hmmm...
  31. sleepypanda

sleepypanda New Member

Probably not. If they see you recording, they'll check what you record and probably make you delete it. (Something of that sort of happened when a friend of mine went to a concert in Japan.) So, we're most likely just stuck with the occasional news clip until the TV broadcast airs/YouTube videos are uploaded. According to Twitter, full performances aren't broadcast on TV until September.

Don't underestimate the popularity of Disney in Japan ;) I think it's been dubbed so young children watch it and you can find Japanese versions of some of the songs floating around the Internet.
  32. Amy03

Amy03 New Member

does that mean that we will have to wait until next month before the performances are loaded:wideeyes:
  33. midori

midori Well-Known Member

There will be the first broadcast on the next weekend. The "complete version" will be aired mid August. Besides, they air a bit of fluff pieces every week for a month or two.

This tour is always fun. The Dance Battle is hilarious. At the Sunday matinee the battle was Meryl v.s. Charlie. :D
  34. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Meryl won, I hear.

Did you see it? What was involved.
  35. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Thanks for the links. Wow Mao and Adelina look lovely together. They look like sisters. Of course Adelina is a Russian and Mao is a Japanese, but still...
    since they both are Tarasova's students?

I always wonder how they so often come up with such fun ideas. I wonder if they are from DNA of Nagoya people?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  36. skatesindreams

37. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see Mao's Mary Poppins! I always love her exhibition numbers. And Adelina too...she's another skater who has nicely done exhibitions, plus I just love her skating.

The Ice is always so well done in terms of their concepts, group numbers, costumes, etc. Hopefully some video will surface soon...
  38. sleepypanda

sleepypanda New Member

It's been really fun following THE ICE skaters on Instagram~

Webstagram~ for those without the app
    http://web.stagram.com/n/meryledavis
    http://web.stagram.com/n/sunshineandshit
    http://web.stagram.com/n/alexshibutani
    http://web.stagram.com/n/maiashibutani
    http://web.stagram.com/n/adelyasotnikova

Mirai's (https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu) been updating her Twitter, too. Photos from the Shinkansen and it looks like she's gotten some medical care for her elbow in Nagoya.

If anyone's interested in the progress of the dance battle, THE ICE staff blog keeps us updated on it haha. http://weblog.ctv.co.jp/theice/top
    - Saturday, first show: Narumi vs Alena, but then Adelina joined in and won
    - Saturday, second show: Mao vs Kozuka, Mao was overwhelmingly the winner
    - Sunday, first show: Meryl vs Charlie, apparently intense battle and Meryl came out victorious
    - Sunday, second show: Mirai vs Alex, Alex's hard work and preparation paid off and he won

Such a fun tour!
  39. sarah009

sarah009 Member

40. magnolia

magnolia New Member

Additional report on Meryl and Charlie:

Meryl and Charlie did a shortened version of Die Fledermaus, which was a pleasant surprise as I had not expected that (I did not buy the program beforehand so I had no idea who was going to perform what). I think many people in the audience felt the same because I heard a gasp when they started performing. The performance was lovely and so speedy. Meryl had a lovely light blue flowing outfit on and Charlie was in a tux that he wore at competition. I seem to recall they got one of the first (if not the first) standing ovation from the crowd.

Meryl and Charlie were also interviewed by Mai during the show that I went to along with the Shibutanis. Meryl, I remember, talked about how she loved to perform in Japan because the Japanese crowd is 'so respectful'.

Indeed, this was a phrase that the other skaters used in describing the Japanese audience. I kind of had to laugh a little inside because I do think the crowd in Japan is not as loud and they don't cheer and whistle and hoot as much as in other countries, but I do think it is really true that this does not mean so much that the 'crowd' is uninterested but that they are just more 'respectful'.

I have been looking at some figure skating boards and have come to realize that there are very many hardcore figureskating fans in Japan some who went to all four performances in Nagoya and that they will additionally go to the Osaka performance because they had such a wonderful time in Nagoya. (They must be quite rich!! Tickets cost between 20,000-10,000 yen, i.e., $255-$127.50 per show!)

Meryl also spoke of how much she looked forward to being able to perform in Nikko, which I thought was a very gracious thing to say. And of course, her voice!! I love Meryl's voice.