The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Icetalavista, Feb 12, 2012.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

In the film shown at the Reaping President Snow clearly says that the THIRTEEN districts rebelled against the capitol. So it's there, even if people weren't paying attention.

Besides, it's SUPPOSED to be surprising that District 13 still exists. And I don't recall very much exposition on District 13 in book 1 itself, other than finding out it was destroyed, which is hardly something that needed to be said in this particular film.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

yeah, there's no need for talk about that in the first film. It actually makes for a better surprise later, as in the books you knew it was coming eventually.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Without having read Mockingjay so I don't know if it really needs to be a surprise, I do think you need to know in the back of your head that there WAS a District 13, but I don't think there needs to be a detailed mention. Plenty of time to clarify that in Catching Fire.

I am most concerned about the shaky-cam thing. I might have time Wednesday night to see it at the theater near the competition hotel I'll be at, but I have been known to get motion sick from shaky cam...

4. genevieve

it's Blair Witch level shaky cam, but only for short bursts

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it yet...I might go this weekend if I can find some time.

I don't like the fact that they are splitting the last book into two movies. In certain cases I think two movies is necessary. I didn't mind it so much in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows mainly because so much stuff happens in that final book...and what's even more shocking is that they still had to cut a lot. In this case, I thought splitting it into two movies was justified.

I think splitting Breaking Dawn into two movies was done purely to milk more money out of the people. For one thing, the book itself droned on for about 400 pages longer than it needed to only to end with absolutely nothing happening. I'm assuming the end will be changed considerably...

I'd have preferred it if they didn't split Mockingjay. I think a 2.5 hour movie would be enough time to cover what happens in that final book but Hollywood is all about milking as much money out of people as they can so I can't say I'm surprised.:rolleyes: I think it's unnecessary.

6. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I did not realize Jennifer Lawrence is from my hometown (Louisville, KY). That is very cool.

7. genevieve

Is it official that the last film is being split? From what I read in EW, I thought it was still under consideration.

8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Still being discussed, last I saw.

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

So I saw the movie again yesterday, and here are my revised thoughts regarding the ending:

I suppose one can make a case that they DID show Peeta's realization of Katniss's true feelings, although it is about as subtle as it can get. When they're on the train ride home, Peeta asks what they're supposed to do now and Katniss replies, "I don't know; just try to forget". She's back to "old" Katniss; stoic, very closed and focused on just surviving. You can see the hurt in Peeta's eyes as he registers what she's just said, and reasserts his feelings for her ("But I don't want to forget). But later when they're back in 12, Peeta watches Katniss as she finally lays eyes on her family and Gale, and again, he's clearly hurting.

Like I said, super subtle. But I guess now they can go into CF saying that they *did* plant the seeds of doubt in Peeta's mind. And I'm guessing that the "love triangle" will be heavily featured in the marketing campaign leading up to CF, so if we don't know about the tension between Peeta and Katniss now, we will before CF comes out.

One thing about HG making tons of money that makes me super happy is that CF and MJ are likely to have a dramatically increased budget compared to HG. Which is great, because they're going to need it. The horizons are greatly expanded in the next two books and 80mil isn't going to cut it. Especially in CF with all the different districts and an arena that just screams high tech and man-made...pretty sure all arena footage will have to be shot on a sound stage or some place very exotic. Not much in the way of jungles here. Maybe they'll pack up and film in Hawaii for awhile? :p ;)

On another note, I'm re-reading the Hunger Games again, and I'm reminded of one of my small pet-peeves with the books, which is how incredibly self-aware Katniss is to the point of it being absurd. I know most of that is just a byproduct of the style of writing; Katniss is our ears and eyes so she HAS to make an observation on everything for the sake of the audience. But still, it is one thing about the books that I don't miss at all in the movie. Not having a running commentary in Katniss's head allows us to see her from a purely third-person perspective and judge her on OUR terms. And she comes off much more vulnerable and less...cocky? I dunno if it's the right word but anyway, I do like the movie's interpretation of her in this instance. :)

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Ugh, I certainly hope not.
    Gale is even more of a non-presence in Catching Fire (IIRC he kisses her at the beginning of Mockingjay?). Katniss spends all her time with Peeta, seeking refuge in his bed, etc. Pretty lopsided triangle and totally subverts the real message of the series.

11. Spareoom

No, Gale kisses Katniss is CF. And remember when he's beaten half to death? Katniss never leaves his side and her reaction to the whole situation leads Peeta to believe that she loves Gale.

Anyway, I put "love triangle" in quotes because you're right, it's not really a love triangle. But the confusion in Katniss's mind regarding them is never more present than in CF, so I'm sure they will play that up heavily (in marketing, anyway) to sort of ignite the Twilight fanbase that are looking for a new franchise to hop on.

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

This make believe world reminds me of the old Stalinist era USSR. The abject poverty and deprivation to be found most everywhere is in stark contrast to the relative oppulence of the capitol. Plus there is also the similarity in the lack of ability to travel between the different districts or republics. Before WW2 the USSR had 12 republics and only became 15 after the war.

13. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I haven't read the book, but my interpretation of the riot was that the Hunger Games were a tightly controlled event to keep the general populace docile and subservient.

The tributes in the Hunger Games are expected to do what they are told: kill everyone. Based on the restlessness and looking around while the District 1/2(?) and Peeta alliance tried to sleep, it seemed that alliances formed during the Games were tenuous at best, and served only to carry a group to the final where they would turn on each other.

Then along comes Katniss and Rue, who actually seemed to care for each other as people rather than competitors. I'm guessing that Katniss' actions were unprecedented among Hunger Games tributes, and that previous tributes did not pay respects or care about the fallen.

Katniss' efforts to show genuine compassion were totally against the self-preservation, survival, and bloodlust expected of the tributes in the Games. Combined with the emotional death of Rue, District 11 sees Katniss' actions as one of free will and defiance, therefore spurring them to action. JMHO.

14. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^ Well I haven't seen the movie yet but I have read the books. I'm assuming they threw a District riot in as a precursor to what we'll see in Catching Fire; it's that initial spark that leads to the rebellion that is born from Katniss' actions in the games...kind of like a little lead-in for Catching Fire...

As for the love "triangle", IIRC, the director says it's not main focus in the films...more of a running subplot and I hope they stick to that b/c that's how it is in the books too. Katniss is much more concerned with staying alive than she is with having a boyfriend, though I do agree that the marketing for the next movie will probably feature the infuriating Team Gale/Team Peeta bullsh*t...that's SO annoying.

As I said before, there's no comparison b/w Peeta and Gale. You get why she has affection for Gale but Peeta is the visible one and the one you get to know throughout. I think fans of the movie like the idea of seeing Jennifer Lawrence with Liam Hemsworth (sp?) so that will cause a good amount of screaming and shipping for the Katniss/Gale relationship.

15. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Why did I not realize this ahead of time... those short bursts were enough to ruin it for me; I'm super-sensitive to shaky cam. I wish they hadn't done it - I don't see why it was needed (at least in Blair Witch it made sense)

I did like what little I saw of it, and I went with a friend who had free tickets, so it wasn't all bad ;)

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic but The Hunger Games have inspired a new fitness craze. LOL Feel like training like tribute? Now you can. :)

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Time to break out my Team Shut Up merchandise. ;)

18. michiruwater

I find it hard to believe that anyone who actually read the books would be on Team Gale.

Then again, I find it hard to believe that anyone who read the books would really care. Katniss choosing between the two barely mattered, and she certainly had more important things on her mind.

19. sodapop

sodapop New Member

I cried at these same moments and I am not a movie cryer. Rue got me the most. The little girl who played her was perfect for the part. It was close to what I imagined when first reading the books.

I loved both the books and the movie. I'm already looking forward to Catching Fire. I cannot wait to see who plays Finnick.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see Finnick, either! He better be :swoon: and half naked.

21. michiruwater

From the beginning I have always pictured Charlie White whenever I thought of Finnick :shuffle: I don't know why, because while Charlie may have curly hair he's lacking other parts of the description, but it's always been Charlie I've pictured to the point where I know I will be disappointed when Charlie is (understandably) not cast for the part :lol:

22. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I just thought he was more interesting than Peeta. And I don't buy the drastic character change in the third novel.

I agree. In my world :p, she would have wound up with neither of them.

23. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I didn't see a drastic character change. We didn't really see much of his character up until then for one thing. Plus, in the 3rd book, Katniss talks about how he would always go into these angry rants about The Capitol when they were younger and we did see some of that talk in the earlier books so it's believable.

What I think happened is that she ignored a lot of those aspects of his character when they were younger and there was no way to put his ideas into action, but once he was designing traps for real soldiers, it was a lot harder to ignore.

I also think being in love with Katniss and not having it return as well as being at war changed him. He said something in Book One about how different would hunting people be from hunting animals? ... implying it wouldn't be that different. It's Katniss who basically says that it would be too easy to think of the people as wild animals but that was something to fight.

One of the interesting things about having the book be ENTIRELY from her POV is that you get the whole "unreliable narrator" phenomena and I think this is one instance of it.

What I found completely out of character was for Katniss to vote to have one last Hunger Games. She says something about "she thought of Prim" as justification but (a) Prim would have been (rightly) horrified so thinking of her would have her voting No IMO and (b) at this point she has suspicion that Coin was responsible for Prim's death, not Snow.

24. michiruwater

I can't imagine why anyone who experienced one Hunger Games (let alone two!) would actually vote to have another.

25. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Revenge.

It seemed to be in character for everyone who voted except Katniss.

26. Spareoom

I read a blog somewhere that seemed to think that one is meant to read between the lines regarding Katniss's choice. Their view was that once Katniss realized that Coin was really no different than Snow, something snapped and she voted for the Games in order to confirm Coin's choice with the subconscious understanding that Coin would need to be taken out before the Games became a reality. They gathered this based on how Haymitch responded and how he was reacting to Katniss; note that he doesn't vote either way but says that he's with the Mockingjay while coming to some sort of understanding with Katniss. Because you're right, it would never, ever be in Katniss's character to vote for the very thing that was ultimately responsible for destroying Prim; if there were no Hunger Games, Prim wouldn't have been reaped and Katniss wouldn't have volunteered and started the whole rebellion.

Anyway, I'm reading the books through again so I am definitely going to looking at that scene closely. :)

27. genevieve

I have defended book 3, but I have to confess I barely remember it. Perhaps I was in a coma...

28. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

IT's a major rip off Battle Royal, but I like it nonetheless !

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Sorry double post...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012