The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Icetalavista, Feb 12, 2012.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I totally agree about Harrelson being completely miscast. I always imagined Haymitch as being a fat, bald, sloppy drunk. Harrelson seemed much more like a functioning alcoholic who would look rather nice with a haircut, shave and shower. The Haymitch I imagine was well past being cleaned up. I don't even know if the book ever mentions him being bald or fat (or maybe they specifically mention him being lean and having long hair) but that is the image stuck in my mind.

2. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I loved Stanley Tucci (?) in this movie. He was perfect as Ceasar!

3. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

genevieve- I agree about the riot but it looked like it was started because her father went crazy with grief at her death. It must be hard for parens waching their children be killed/sacrificed for the state, etc.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Did not get any sense that the man who started it was Rue's father

Brian - agree about Haymitch's appearance - I didn't necessarily picture him bald, but definitely portly, and gone to seed. Certainly not with the fashionable "I shave every day with a guard on to make it look like I've got 2 days stubble at all times" look and a haircut that would have looked more at home in the Capitol.

I just found out that a coworker's sister did copyediting on the Hunger Games trilogy...she's not a fan.

5. bek

bek Guest

Perhaps but in a way she had both Peeta and her become what they feared, having to fight to be what they wanted to be. Peeta was afraid the Games would make him a killer, although in his defense
    It took them having to brainwash him and then he's off trying to kill the girl he loves

Katniss never wanted to become like her mother. In fact when you think about it that kind of depression ran in Katniss' family. Katniss went through a much difficult childhood than her mother, so was able to get through more things. In the beginning of the series, her whole purpose for living is to ensure that her family's survival particularly her little sister. So she spends her time hunting etc. It was Gale not her that was all about fighting the power, she was more I and those I love must survive.

What though the Hunger Games took from her though was the necessity of (her own existence) to those she loves survival. She saved her sister from the Games, yes but her leaving forced her mother and Prim to face the world without her, and they managed. In fact thats one thing she asks herself in book one when she realizes if she wins, the things that consumed her life (mainly the acquisition of food) won't be needed anymore. Who is she then? By the time she got back from the Games in the first book, they had all kinds of money and so the necessity of her was even less, I remember the focus on her "talent". So i think as solely but surely SHE became less necessary to those dearest to her, it became easier and easier for her to retreat into herself.

Plus too if Katniss hadn't
    Blacked out and became hysterical would she have even survived. Surely the rebels would have killed her than for killing President Coin. I doubt they were going to want to tell the world that it was a Rebel bomb that killed Capital children and rebel medics. So Katniss becoming that hysterical saved her life.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  6. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I just assumed it was her father without any proof ;)

7. bek

bek Guest

I actually think Rue's town going crazy was perhaps also because of Katniss's reaction and Rue's song, in that moment humanity kind of crept in. In the Second Book its
    clear feelings even in the Capital towards the Hunger Games changed

I do agree that maybe the last book could have been down better. But I applaud the author for doing PST and having all of the characters become so affected. The only thing I didn't like was
    Peeta never being fully Peeta after the brainwashing but then I guess the point is he fought to remain Peeta

8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

I read the book in one night, loved it, but I can't seem to get into the second one- not sure why
    Looking forward to seeing the move, if only to see the fire dress outfit!!! :)

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I got the impression that the man who started the riot was her father as well.

Saw it a second time today :shuffle: Just as affecting the second time as the first, maybe more because I could actually focus without all the extra adrenaline of a midnight showing.

10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

This was really the one change that totally irritated me as well. I didn't like Harrelson's Haymich, either, although I wasn't sure if he was miscast or misdirected. I agree with those who thought Josh Hutcherson did a good job as Peeta. And I was initially concerned about his casting.

I liked the way that they used Caesar to explain things we needed to know (like the tracker jackers) but I didn't like the Snow interjections at all. Partially because, although Donald Sutherland is obviously amazing, he isn't snow to me AT ALL.

I didn't think they did a very good job showing how long the games took. The whole thing felt like it took a few days. There wasn't the sense of them wearing down. I also thought that the pace was too fast from the point that Katniss finds Peeta until the end. A lot of things in there could have been fleshed out. And I wish they'd left Thresh's death the way it was in the book. I wanted to see more of the aftermath in the capitol, Peeta finding out that she was playing up the love angle to keep them alive, etc. And I missed the moment of her throwing herself at the door when they take him from her. I think it helps show the way she's totally emotionally separated from the rest of the world that point and doesn't really realize that she is out of the games.

But overall I really did like it. I just have a lot of nitpicks. And I'm ashamed (not that ashamed) to say that I not only cried like a baby when Rue died, but also when Katniss volunteered.

11. michiruwater

Those were my two main spots as well, and I cried more when Katniss volunteered the second time than the first time!

I agree that the sense of time in the Games didn't feel authentic. When they're shooting the fireballs at her, the clock in the Command Center says that 3 days have passed. It didn't feel like three days at all. I didn't think to see what the center says at the end, however, for how much time was supposed to have passed.

I thought the actress who played Clove was the best overall actor of the Career Tributes, but I will say that it was really noticeable how much younger she was than the other three. I always pictured Clove as being larger and more ferocious in appearance. Isabelle Furhman can't be taller than 5'2" or so and was really tiny. I think the actress was 14 when she was cast.

12. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

(Finally started reading the book....yeah, I tend to be behind the pop culture 8 ball)

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, I started crying when Katniss volunteered. Abe was totally embarrassed that I was crying in the theatre...that is until he started crying when Rue died.

I'm with everyone who didn't think the District 11 riot scene made sense at all. Why they left out the loaf of bread...I have no idea because that was such a touching moment in the book.

Woody Harrellson didn't bother me...but I did think during the movie that he just seemed like himself, not necessarily Haymitch :)

Elizabeth Banks really surprised me. She really captured Effie to me. The people in the capital looked exactly how I pictured them in my head.

I was really happy with the movie. It was really just about the first time that a movie matched the image I had in my head from the book. I was a Jennifer Lawrence fan before, but I think I'm an uber now :)

14. michiruwater

Elizabeth Banks was perfectly cast. I thought she would do a good job, but she was excellent. I didn't mine Harrelson, really - and both showings I went to, he got the most laughs, particular his comment to Effie about her clothes and the thumbs up he gave to Katniss after the pig. But I do think he should have been schwasted much more than he was. But I do think he was the weakest cast member in an otherwise fantastic cast.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the chemistry between Lenny Kravitz and Lawrence though. Did anyone else notice that? I thought he made a fantastic Cinna, but they just had loads and loads of chemistry, way more than she had with either Gale or Peeta. The comments he would make - "You made me like you" or the kisses on the forehead - just felt way more intimate than I had imagined in my head.

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I cried like a baby when Rue died and my dd laughed at me. But I really was crying, not that sniffing you normally do at the movies. I'm not sure why it upset me that much. But it did.

I deliberately waited until I saw the movie and now my kid won't let me read her book because she started it again and isn't finished with it. :( I may have to download it after all instead of waiting.

16. michiruwater

I was crying my eyes out both times. All my friends cried their eyes out. Both times I could hear people outright sobbing in the theater. It's a very upsetting death - don't worry about it!

The soundtrack? It is great. I love it. I've listened twice so far today!

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The movie has made about $240m this weekend worldwide. So I'd Say this series is off to a really good start.

18. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Allen- he only way I can rationalize the riot scene is to think that the man who started it was Rue's father but that is just an unfounded assumption on my part

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I noticed this too! The chemistry was through the roof between those two. I took Cinna to be gay in the book (maybe just stereotyping on my part) but he didn't come across that way in the movie at all because I thought he wanted to do her the whole time. :lol:

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Lenny Kravitz can't help it, he's just sex on a stick no matter who he's with. :grope:

21. genevieve

I didn't get any chemistry between Kravitz and Lawrence

22. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I did a little right before she went into the arena.

23. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Yes, I got a lot of chemistry between Katniss and Cinna as well. Way more than with Peeta or Gale. Lenny was a fantastic Cinna. Loved every scene he was in!

Rue's death didn't even make we well up a little bit. I felt Stenberg's acting was a bit weak in that scene, and her death didn't make me have the reaction I thought it would. I didn't hear anyone else in the theater crying either.

I was ok with Harrelson as Haymitch and I'm willing to bet it was more mis-direction than mis-casting. He defintiely didn't act like the Haymitch in the book and I felt his character wasn't explained well beyond "mentor". Did they even say he was a previous victor?

I loved the Control Room scenes, the things you never got to see in the book. I'm *hoping* that since Suzanne Collins was so involved in the movie that that was her "vision" of how the Games were controlled and not someone's random idea.

I was very happy at really how closely they stayed to the book. Since you know the next two movies will be greenlighted because of the monster numbers Hunger Games opened with (and really, how could there have been doubt??) I'm hoping the next two movies will stay that close as well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing it again!

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I'm hoping Mockingjay is significantly altered from the novel. Watching Katniss being sedated ten times is going to get really :yawn:

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  25. dancer72

dancer72 New Member

And the plan seems to be for MJ to be 2 movies. I would think a lot of the stuff that happens behind the scenes in the book will have to be on screen in the movie.

26. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I read that as well. Not sure how I feel about that.

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how that's going to work. MJ is a long book but there's not a very good breaking point for another movie. The only one that I can think off the top of my head is
    right after Peeta is rescued from the Capitol and he tries to kill Katniss. Although that would mean very little Peeta and Johanna in MJ P1.

28. genevieve

well, if they decide to film all the action that takes place while Katniss is napping, it would extend the story considerably :shuffle:

29. michiruwater

Yes, on the train to the capital Peeta expositions to Katniss, "He did win this thing once."

I'm not sure how I feel about Mockingjay being extended to two films as well. I don't think there's enough material unless, as noted, they film all the stuff that happens while Katniss is unconscious :shuffle:

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

A coworker (who hadn't read the book) said he was disappointed in the movie. He said he didn't get any sense of undertones of social conscious he had heard the book had and he didn't understand why District 11 was rioting, as they had to expect their tributes would likely die. He also had no idea who the rebels might be and had no idea there was a
    district 13. I wonder if people will be surprised when there suddenly is one in the next movie

I've chosen not to see the movie. I don't do well with shaky cameras (nearly got sick during saving private ryan in theatres) and I hear there is a tribute who snaps anothers neck. I can't handle that. I have issues.