The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Icetalavista, Feb 12, 2012.

1. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

LOL...Too funny!

I have only read the 1st book so far and am looking forward to seeing the movie & reading the 2nd book.

My curiosity is really piqued about Battle Royale after reading the comments here. My Netflix streaming option doesn't have it (among other movies I had looked for :rolleyes:). Going to have to see if I can rent it somewhere.

2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I most definitely do side with you and PL :lol:

Catching Fire was great. I loved it. Mockingjay on the other hand. :mad: Ridiculous.

3. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

The Hunger Games was a great, entertaining read. I think it is going to be an even better movie.

Catching Fire was a decent sequel. Mockingjay, on the other hand...has anyone else seen the Monty Python episode Bicycle Tour? There is a scene where they are in front of a firing squad, counting down to fire, and then it cuts to 30 minutes later, and they are continuing their tour, with no explanation of how they escaped. That is how Mockingjay was. Even in the Hunger Games, Collins dealt with the set-up to the climax better than she did the climax itself, and by the time she wrote Mockingjay I think she'd just given up.

I read it all in about 4 days, but it won't be a book like Ender's Game, that I return to and reread every few years.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That's a coincidence; I only just found out about the planned movie version of Ender's Game today, and I'm super excited, especially with the great cast. I just wish I had my copy don here so I could delve into it again.

5. rjblue

I'm interested to see how it turns out, but not excited about the Ender's Game movie. The cast looks great but almost all the things that happen in the book require you to be inside Ender's head, with his insight into his motives and I just can't imagine how difficult the screenplay would be to write and do the story justice.

Hunger Games on the other hand, seems tailor made for the big screen. Katniss is completely moved by external events, and the only conflict of her inner voice is which boy she cares for, and that won't be difficult to portray.

The sets of Enders Game should be quite boring except for the battle room, and Hunger Games should be amazing.

6. Sk8fun

Sk8fun Active Member

I just finished the 3rd book. I enjoyed the first 2 much more than the last. They kept my interest but I mostly finished the last book just for the sake of finishing the series. I am looking forward to the movie though.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Wheee, I have my ticket for the movie! 12:20 AM :) I'm excited!

8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Nice! I have a ticket for 12:01! Can't wait!

9. michiruwater

Are you going to the iMax showing at Rave Cinemas? I plan on buying tickets this week (that showing hasn't sold out yet), and if you are we might have to meet up for a bit :D

10. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm going to Quality 16. Unfortunately the IMAX is kind of a migraine trigger for me. But we should meet up some time before I'm done with school in April.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I was in Chapters on Saturday and it seemed like every available square centimetre of wall space was taken up with some kind of movie-tie-in version of the book or related merch. I'm a fan of the book, and looking forward to the movie (tho not in the 1st few days, and definitely not in Imax!) ... but I abhor that kind of mega-marketing. For anything.

Almost enough to make me :scream: ... almost, but not quite!

Anyway, those of you who will be going on the opening night, enjoy. I'll follow along at my own middle-aged pace. :D

13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

It was filmed here in Charlotte and surrounding areas. Looking forward to seeing this.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm going to see the Hunger Games this Sat at 11pm at an IMAX theater. Just saw that Battle Royale is playing at an arthouse theatre on Fridays this month ... maybe I'll go on the 23rd to prepare for the Big! American! Version! :D

15. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

All this talk about Hunger Games makes me want to read it. If I do will I regret it like after I read Twlight (I wanted to poke my eyes out after reading that book).

Carol

16. Artemis@BC

I also see that the Battle Royale "Collection" is being released on DVD/BluRay on Thursday. I can't do subtitles on the big screen -- aside from the visual distance between the text and the action, I need to have the option to rewind if I miss anything.

17. rjblue

No. You might be disappointed by the third book, but The Hunger Games is a fast, easy, entertaining read. I couldn't read more than a page of Twilight.

18. michiruwater

Twilight is revoltingly terrible.

The Hunger Games has some grammatical issues, and some plot issues as well, but there's no comparison to the utter piece of tripe that is Twilight. It's way more mature and significantly better-paced. Not to mention that Katniss is a great heroine and Bella is possibly the worst heroine I have ever encountered.

I haven't really met anyone who hated THG the way so many people hate Twilight.

19. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I have objections to how the story ended, but Suzanne Collins overall is a MUCH better writer than Stephenie Meyers. She also soundly trounces Meyers in the creating a believable unbelievable world.

IIRC, they do have one thing in common--both writers originally intended for their books to be duets, and were encouraged (in Meyer's case, I believe the correct verb would be 'strong-armed') by their publishers to string the story out.

20. michiruwater

Really? That surprises me because of Collins' background as a playwright or screenplay-writer, can't remember which. What I do remember is that she carefully plans her story out over 3 Acts, with 9 chapters each for 27 chapters, so I'm a little baffled to hear that she let a company encourage her into stringing out the story longer than she intended. Though, I can see how the second two books would have been better if they'd been shorter and combined. Did they make her add Gale, too, or was that her idea? I still think Gale's a completely unnecessary character.

21. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

He had to provide the love triangle. And even though he's unnecessary, I still prefer to the useless and dull Peeta. :p

22. genevieve

funny - I can't do subtitles on the computer, too small to read the writing! (I don't have a dvd player hooked up to my tv anymore)

23. Artemis@BC

Ah yes, I can see how that would be challenge. I however have a 42 inch TV (that I got for free!) and BluRay, which has seriously decreased my attentance at the movie theatres. I mean, when you can watch a movie in your pjs with a drink of your choice and a cat curled up on your chest ... why would you ever want to go out?

(Yoiks I feel old!)

24. genevieve

ew.com has a great series of Hunger Games movie posters reimagined for different directors: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20419951_20579776,00.html

I think my favorites are Christopher Nolan ("Brunette Actress as Katniss") and Hitchcock.

They also snuck a poster of Battle Royale in there which made me laugh :HA!:

25. michiruwater

The juxtaposition of the Malick one and then the Herzog one made me LMAO.

But I laughed way harder at the Battle Royale poster. Well done, EW. Well done.

26. genevieve

nice job on the PIXAR and Michael Bay ones too

27. avivadawn

avivadawn Well-Known Member

I'm planning to go to the Midnight Showing Thursday night....if there are still tickets available. :D

28. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I admit I finally downloaded the first book last week. It was a fast and really entertaining read, am now halfway through book 2. However, squeamish person that I am, I'm not going to see the movie until I find out just how gross it is. :scream:

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's PG-13, it won't be THAT bad. :p

I mean they'll obviously have to show some dead people, but as long as there's no gore...:lol:

But I know what you mean. I want to find out the rating for Prometheus before committing to see it in theaters. :shuffle: I still haven't seen the first Alien in its entirety, even if my friend claims it's not that gory aside from the chestburster. :eek:

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Given that the first "Alien" movie was made back in 1979, I think you can handle the "graphic" alien-chest-bust scene. ;) Graphics are way more realistic now, so if you can handle the run of the mill "ewww" you see on television you should be okay.

"Alien" is a great movie but, far and away, "Aliens" is probably the best sequel ever created. James Cameron took the helm for it and built upon what Ridley Scott created...I was less than a year old when the movie came out (1986) but even today, it is my favorite sci-fi/action movie. It has a bit of gore but it's worth it! It's an amazing movie...

I never really saw the third one but people say it was pretty decent (nothing compared to the first two) and the 4th one is gratuitously gore-filled -- a giant FAIL in the franchise. But the first two are golden and if you like the sci-fi genre, they're must sees.

"Prometheus" looks like it's going to be pretty awesome, although I'm still a little iffy on the details of what happens. Either way, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Back OT, I'm a bit more eager to see "Hunger Games" now. I really enjoyed the book and the reviews are making me think they've done the story justice. I'll probably wait to see it until next weekend...once some of the feverish excitement dies down a bit. I don't want to deal with super-crowded theaters and overly excited people...I really wish I could just watch it On-Demand on my TV at home to be honest.