The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Icetalavista, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

(sorry if there's another thread, but I looked 10 pages in and didn't see one so here goes)

I just inhaled the first book in this 3-book series and I am hooked. Un-put-downable. Author Suzanne Collins has the ability to make this reader, at least, care desperately about the sympathetic characters in the book - especially the heroine.

I looked at the trailer for the movie and it doesn't look bad. The author had a hand in adopting it.

I also love that Scholastic published this book. I'll bet other publishers are banging their collective heads and saying 'gees, Harry Potter and now this.'

Any other Hunger Games fans out there?

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I cried when I saw the trailer, I was so excited and it looked so good.

I mean, it can still be terrible when I see it, but when I read that Jennifer Lawrence was cast I got goosebumps. She's just terrific and was the perfect choice.

I loved the books. Even halfway through the first one I was a little irritated by some of her grammatical issues, but then somewhere along the rest of it I became absolutely hooked. The love triangle was stupid, granted. I think Gale could have just not been in any of the books and they would have been fine. He didn't really have a point and I never cared the slightest about him like I did about Peeta.

But, basically, yes. Huge fan.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I read the three books last weekend- they were good, but very quick reads. Wish there were more books since the whole series can be read in a day if that's all you do.

I don't think I'll see the movies though- the book describes things so well it would ruin it for me to see an interpretation of a costume that wasnt the same as mine. And I don't really imagine the deaths vividly, and don't want to see that many of them on screen- I don't usually do violent.

I'm glad I read them- I was so annoyed by some of the writing on the first page I almost quit- but it got much better.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

You must not read the book threads. :lol:

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

LMAO, I keep waiting for book 3 comments. Come on, you know you want to do it. :watch:

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I hate Peeta. Not as much as I hate the third book, but, yeah.

I'm excited to see the movie, though. :watch:

7. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm trying to read the first one right now. I didn't manage to read it when I borrowed it from the library last fall, so a friend let me borrow it on kindle. So far, I'm not liking it too much, but I'm only about 3 chapters in.

8. rfisher

Just skip to Book Three. :saint:

9. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Aww, why do you hate Peeta? That kid was MESSED UP in the third book. Katniss was too, actually...hard to blame either of them for their actions.

I thought the third book was not easy, fun to read or the type of conclusion that we all hoped the series would get. But honestly, when you think about the premise of the series, did you really think they were going to get a happily ever after?

As someone who has had family members deeply affected by PSTD, I found Suzanne Collin's personal take on it very real and moving. Sure, Mockingjay wasn't the type of story we wanted, but it was very realistic in that it was like, "This is what happens to real soldiers every single day.". It's life, it happens. And the fact that the ending did leave that little glimmer of hope, I thought was really touching.

So yeah, it was a bit of a shock at first (the third book) but overall I thought it was a very fitting conclusion to the series.

Can't wait for the movie; I'll be there at midnight, yadda yadda yadda. ;)

10. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

As a fan of Battle Royale I feel incredibly upset over this entire thing. And it's going to be huge I know, it has a big impressive cast filled with up and comers from Hollywood and a huge Hollywood budget

Ugh.

11. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I've posted about the books in the book thread, but I'll recap here: I think all 3 books are brilliant. I've seen the trailer online and thought it looked pretty good; but several weeks ago I saw it in a movie theatre and thought it looked awesome.

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

:cheer:

I think the series is really great. I enjoyed all three books :)P to rfisher and PL), but the first two the most. I can't wait to the movie. A coworker and I plan to go see it at midnight.

13. rfisher

It's not our fault you people can't appreciate true literature. :drama: We've done our best to enlighten, but alas.

I'll probably see the movie. I won't be there at midnight. It's not Harry Potter afterall.

14. moojja

moojja Active Member

Why? What's the story behind Battle Royale?

15. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

16. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the series, but to me, the third book ended awkwardly and felt tacked on because the editor wanted some more closure or something. So that kind of ruined my anticipation a bit. I mean, with the tone of the books, I didn't really expect a happily ever after type deal, but I did expect some thought put into it and more than the few paragraphs that ended up in the book.

17. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm the only person who didn't have any problem with the 3rd book and didn't find that it was wildly different than my expectation. Obviously I didn't see everything coming (especially not what happened to Peeta) but I certainly expected from book 1 that we were headed in the direction of revolution against the capitol.

And I love Peeta. Bah to the haterz.

I also kind of adore the love triangle specifically because of how little Katniss cares about it. "Okay, whatever, fight over me over there. I really can't deal with you until this war is over."

18. BigB08822

I had no idea the idea for The Hunger Games was such a blatant rip off of the Japanese book. How do people get away with that?

19. iarispiralllyof

And film.

This whole debacle has been argued about to death online. I really don't want to get into it right now though :/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  20. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm not that familiar with Battle Royale but I have a friend who is a fan of both and she's not particularly up in arms about the similarity.

21. BigB08822

Well, the film is based on the Hunger Games so if the Hunger Games is a ripoff then the film isn't really trying to rip off anything, is it? It's just a rip off because the book is. Unless there are things from the Japanese movie (I think I read it was made into a movie?) that they stole for this one as well, and not just things from the book. I would like to hear more about it, do you have any links to more discussion?

22. iarispiralllyof

Yeah the similarities and differences have been dissected to death in about a million angry fan rants from both sides.

It really depends on the individual and what they think after reading both books and watching the film (BR)
    The author of Hunger Games claims she had never heard of the novel or the film Battle Royale before writing her book.
    Personally, I find that extremely difficult to believe considering the very specific similarities and the fact that her novel was released almost 10 years later. There have been an endless collection of BR related websites, media and fanfiction/writings published online (in English) since its release. I feel she must've been exposed to it somehow but just can't recall exactly.

EDIT: sorry, I initially left one annoyed comment but it looks like that's going to turn this thread into another rehash of the same old arguments over this

23. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed to all of this. I loved all three, but the second was particularly brilliant in how the Games were set up. I thought the third book was really fantastic and a fitting conclusion. The way Katniss kept passing out in the middle of action and waking up three days later annoyed the crap out of me, though. And I thought Prim was an underdeveloped character.

Suzanne Collins is an evil master genius of twists and cliffhangers. Thank god my sister pre-loaded all three books on my Kindle as a birthday present, and I was on vacation "up north" so I had plenty of free time to devour them.

I CAN'T WAIT for the movie!! It looks amazing. The first full trailer gave me chills. SO GOOD. :swoon:

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Exactly. It was lazy writing.

And don't get me started on all the characters who become expendable in the final book. Lame, lame, lame.

For the record, I've never heard of Battle Royale.

25. michiruwater

I saw Battle Royale years before I read The Hunger Games. When I first heard about The Hunger Games, I was peeved that Suzanne claimed to come up with the whole idea herself while watching news or something, because it was so clearly Battle Royale. But I'm over that now. I appreciate both of them for their takes on the same concept. I do wish that she would admit that the plot is a rip-off of BR though, even if she took it in a very different direction.

I loved the third book precisely because it defied my expectations. Typically, a girl like Katniss would become the hero in the 3rd book and kick everyone's ass. Instead, she suffered tremendously from PTSD and played a much less central role. I thought it was a lot more realistic. It never bothered me that some characters became expendable (though, I mean, I've read Game of Thrones, so...) though I was really surprised when
    Prim died.[/spoilers] I don't like it any less than the first two, though I do agree the ending was lazy, especially the conclusion of the love triangle. The last 4 or so pages were really unfulfilling.

And I also like Peeta :p

TG and I can go have our own thread, haterz.

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I didn't know much about The Hunger Games before I started reading the series. It wasn't far in that I thought that the major event of The Hunger Games was far to similar to that of Battle Royale. While, yes, the plot points are definitely different, I find it hard to believe that Collins came up with something so similar in concept to Battle Royale just by watching reruns of Survivor and footage from the Iraq war. Everything from the even number of boys and girls and the reason for having the event is similar.

That said, I obviously moved on and completed the series. I'm looking forward to the movie because I love Jennifer Lawrence. A lot of the characters I've seen in previews look enough like what I imagined that I don't think I'll be disappointed.

27. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

How big a person is Jennifer Lawrence? I imagined Katniss as smallish and slight (all the tree-climbing episodes contributed to this).

The casting for Rue and Peeta looks pretty good. I'll be intrigued with whom they have playing Foxface.

Just read the Wikipedia entry re the film of Battle Royale - its US theatrical release was Dec 2011 and the Blu-Ray release is in March! Interesting. Bet the makers of BR get a bump in sales after Hunger Games is released.

Will be further interesting to see if there's debate in the US re violence against kids, and violence in film in general (as there was in Japan after the BR movie was released), after Hunger Games is released. US films I would guess are already much more violent than those of many countries already.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  28. michiruwater

Jennifer is ~5'7". A bit tall for the character but it really depends upon how they frame her. I always picture Katniss as more 5'3", but that may be because that's my height :p

Jacqueline Emerson has been cast as Foxface, and I think she looks perfect.

29. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of both Battle Royale and The Hunger Games, and I'm not bothered by the similarities either. I have no idea if Collins is telling the truth when she says she'd never heard of Battle Royale, but I think it's more possible than some say. Concepts like fighting to the death and taking on a corrupt government aren't new for either book. And while Battle Royale had some fans, I don't think it was that well known in the US before The Hunger Games controversy or even after it. Personally, I'd recommend both books.

I still haven't read the third book in the Hunger Games series. I can't decide if I want to or not.

30. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

It's a lot like The Lion King ripping off Kimba the White Lion, isn't it? :shuffle:

I wonder if they get away with that because copyright law doesn't cover ideas? But with enough similarities, wouldn't it be considered plagiarism or something? :confused: