"The Hobbit" trailer debuts, "Lord of the Rings" prequel

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by all_empty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

2. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Have to say I think casting Martin Freeman is genius and Cate Blanchett is gorgeous as always.

3. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

:swoon:

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I never could get into LOTR and this looks like a carbon copy, which it should be being a prequel. Not for me.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I can't wait!! :) :) :)

6. walei

walei Well-Known Member

OMG The Dark Knight Rises AND Hobbit trailer this week? Next year will be glorious for movie lovers!! Thanks!

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

If you're a sci-fi/horror fan (which I'm personally not but it's still big news), Ridley Scott returns with Prometheus. :D

8. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Gniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <- can't speak. I WANNA see it nooooooow !!

9. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I'm oh so watching this!

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I love LOTR and the Hobbit was my favorite of all 4 books. Toliken had much more humor in the Hobbit than the Ring trilogy. Hmmm....I just realized I don't have the Hobbit on audiobook. I listen to the Ring trilogy at least once a year. Must remedy this situation. And, I'll enjoy the movie as well, especially since Jackson finished it. More Ian McKellen :cheer2: I will be forever bummed that he didn't play Dumbledore. :(

11. MarieM

No he is Gandalf forever now :p

12. rfisher

Well, yes, but it's evident Gandalf was the inspiration, sort of, for Dumbledore. :lol: He could have done both. :) I had no problems with Richard Harris, but Michael Gambon should NEVER have been cast in that role. :drama:

13. MarieM

Well you have a point, but still, Gandalf is SO much better than Dumbledore in SO many ways !! :)
    So I'd rather have him as Gandalf and Gandalf only :p
    It will be so strange to see all those characters again. I'm still mourning about the loss of so many of them :(

14. Nan

Nan Just me

I really hate waiting. :mad:

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

:)

We have to wait a whole year!:(

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Trivia: "The Hobbit" was written first (as far as publication goes) and was not originally written or intended to have anything to do with The Lord of the Rings. In fact after deciding to make it backstory for LOTR, Tolkien had to go back to the already-published book and "correct" the story of how Bilbo acquires the Ring from Gollum because the original version (which JRRT called "Bilbo's fictional account") suddenly made no sense with how the Ring affects the Ringbearers-Gollum originally wagered the Ring away of his own accord, which he obviously wouldn't do. It was originally meant to just be a fairly light, readable fantasy, which is why it's missing things like the long poetical digressions and massive amounts of backstory.

And the first thing I thought when I saw "The Fellowship of the Ring" was "Why aren't they making 'The Hobbit'?" (The LAST thing I thought was "OMG THIS MOVIE IS INSANELY LONG END END END..." Clearly I am not the person for whom the Extended Editions were created.)

ETA: Since when is Galadriel in "The Hobbit"?

17. MarieM

They did the same when the firt LOTR was released. Agonizing !!
    danceronice : funny, the short versions of the movies are boring to me since so much has been left out.
    My only regret of the whole thing still is Tom Bombadil :(

Does anyone have any info on Pern ?

18. danceronice

See, I couldn't even follow the books and got bored senseless. The movies made EMINENTLY more sense (like I could finally follow what was going on in the paths of the Dead in ROTK SEEING it rather than trying to parse Tolkien. I wish C.S. Lewis would have sat down with him and said "All right, John, I appreciate your spiritual support [Tolkien was a devout Catholic and helped bring Lewis around when he was having some very dark times], now can we have a chat about clarity of writing?")

Regarding Dragonriders of Pern: Anne passed away on November 21, which could maybe be a boot to the rear of the people who own the rights. It's Copperheart Entertainment (fwiw, their last big relase was "Splice") and they do have someone doing a treatment based on Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon. If they try to film mutliples I hope they mostly pare out the massive plot cul-de-sac that is Dragonquest (I'd give a LOT to read the first draft of that book which allegedly Anne's editor told her to burn and she did) as the only really important parts are arguing over going to the Red Star and Jaxom Impressing Ruth. Maybe lose most of the whiney whinging useless Brekke plot (as she's never important again anyway) and feed in the overlapping bits of Dragonsong/Dragonsinger...

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

We can't have Ian McKellan as Gandalf, Magneto AND Dumbledore. :p Way too greedy.

20. rfisher

:lol: Or Frodo?

21. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Well, I think The Hobbit is going to be framed as a flashback, so I can see Frodo and Old Bilbo being there as Old Bilbo relates his story to Frodo. Dunno about Galadriel.

22. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

As if the preview itself isn't awesome enough, we get Richard Armitage's singing thrown in too (swoons). :)

23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Settle down, people! It's going to be a two-part movie, and the second part won't be released until December 2013.

24. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Yeah, The Hobbit was meant as more of a childrens' book - and it is the first book I recall my dad reading to me, I must have been about 5 or 6? I can't wait to read it to baby Viking too :)

25. danceronice

I half wonder if Tolkien wrote it for a mental break from the staggering amount of R&D he did for LOTR, or if he had children or grandchildren bugging him to tell them a story and as LOTR isn't exactly bedtime reading material for tots he just said "FINE, HERE, 'In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit,' are you happy now?"

26. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Galadriel is in the film because these two Hobbit movies are part Hobbit book, part stories from the Appendicies from LotR. That's how they are able to make two movies out of One simple book.

27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Spoiler

Remember when Gandalf ditched the dwarves to drive out the necromancer? Galadriel was part of that.

28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The Hobbit (1937) was published long before LOTR (1954).

29. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

Wheeeee :cheer2: Waiting for decemeber 2012 :)

30. rfisher

EEK. I hope I get to see the movie before the Mayan calendar runs out and the world ends. Maybe they'll move the other one up because it would be a shame if nobody got to see it. :p