The History of Testing.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Jun 17, 2011.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,this thought just came to me today. How DID Testing for Skaters first start?..and why? Were did it come from? Do we have a History on it? BTW. who in History was indeed Test Skater #1?

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

Different countries have different test structures and rules, so I can only talk about the United States.

Testing started back in the 1800's. Canada and Great Britain had tests back then, and a few US clubs had tests that they made up themselves for their members. US Figure Skating began developing an official test structure in 1921, starting with tests for men's and ladies' singles. Dance tests began in 1936, and Pairs in 1958. In 1992 figure tests and free skating tests were separated into different tracks, and Moves in the Field were started in 1994.

Tests were started to help skaters measure their progress, and to make sure that skaters all over the country have the same minimum skills at each level.

I'm afraid I don't know who the very first person to take an official US Figure Skating test was. Maybe they have a record at headquarters of who participated in that first test session.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So there used to check a Skaters ability and were to place them,right?

4. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

That's right. The test judges check the skater to make sure they're good enough to compete at the level they're testing at. Of course, some skaters don't like to compete. They take the tests just to show how far they've progressed. I've tested for both reasons - I've taken tests so that I could compete at a certain level, and I also take tests just because it makes me feel proud if I pass them.

5. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

How was it desided to have Testing? BTW. I was wondering...is Testing something that is needed? Or if let's say someone never desided to have Testing...could we have gone without it?

6. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

We need testing to make sure that all the skaters competing against each other are about the same level. That makes the competition more interesting, because you can't know for sure who's going to win. If one skater can do triple jumps, and another can only do single jumps, that wouldn't be much of a competition, would it? The tests sort the skaters out into the different levels so they can compete against other skaters who are about as good as they are.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Because some of us are gluttons for puishment :)!