The heat moldable system

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Artifice, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I'm wondering if the heat moldable system really helps on making the boots better fitted on the foot.
    How did you find the difference after using this system ?
    Does the skater feel really dramatically better after heating the boot or is it just a better comfort during the breaking time ?

Does the oven action have a consequence on the durabibilty and stiffness of the boot ?
    I wouldn't like to heat the boots and find out afterwards that it actually did reduce the lenght in durability of boots neither the stiffness.

Or maybe should I take my boots as they are without any oven action.

Need some advices in this area.
  2. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I can only tell you what I've seen with my Skater Grrrl. She's had a few pairs of Reidells that weren't heat molded and the break in time seemed to be weeks. Of course, at that point, she was a younger/smaller/lower level skater and 1) not as skilled overall and 2) not beating up her skates as much over the long haul.

With every heat molded pair, she's able to get up to speed and do all her spins, jumps (doubles), footwork within a two to three days (skating 2-3 hours a day). ETA: Also, my kid is not a happy martyr and does not suffer discomfort well...if the boots were bugging her at all, we'd hear about it; the heat molding seems to take any complaints down to a rare whine.

She is hard on her skates - although she is now bigger and skating "bigger" - and so far skates seem to last 6, maybe 8 months before they really break down (and not including growth spurts). Not sure what normal time would be, but maybe you could use it as a reference to compare to someone who doesn't use heat?

Also, I'm not sure what type of Reidells she has, but I do know they are a pretty stiff boot. Her new skates will be the Edea Concerto, and from what I understand they don't get heat molded...? We'll see how it goes. Normally, it seems to take skaters at our rink about 2 weeks to make the switch from Reidell to the Edeas, but again, that's a generalization with a lot of variables.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I *love* heat molded skates. They fit my foot so much better than the non-heat molded skates I wore. I have a wide foot, and the heat molding really helps the skate fit my foot. My old skates, which were not heat-moldable, never quite fit right, no matter how many times I had them punched out.
  4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

My current boots (Gams) are heat molded, and the difference from my previous non-molded boots (Risport) is incredible. A much shorter break-in time, with much less discomfort, and they have not broken down any more quickly because of the heat molding.
  5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I found I just needed to use a hair dryer to soften the heat moulding. But they also mould a bit more naturally due to the natural heat your feet generate.
  6. mag

mag Well-Known Member

My dd loves her heat molded GAMS. They have changed the look at bit this year and the lacing pattern has changed a bit but we have not had any problem with early breakdown. Jozet, your dd is about the same age / level as mine and we have never had less than a year from her skates and even then they are never broken down. Maybe you should look at the GAMS.
  7. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I'll take a look at them for next time, for sure!

I'm hoping the Edeas give us a little longer life. Of course, now I've just jinxed myself and she'll have a growth spurt. ;)

My daughter tears up her skates so badly, the leather is off the entire front of the skate. We're going to use tape and boot covers this next time around, too.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  8. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    I still hesitate about putting my boots in the oven. I've heard that they may break down earlier than non heated boots, which I find logic since softening the leather to make it fit to the foot kind of remove some of its stiffness.
    I've never had this process done on my boots before and I had no problem. However it seems that those who did it are much more comfortable in the boots.
  9. GarrAarghHrumph

It's not that they're heating the leather to get it to mold to your foot. In heat moldable skates, there's a layer of plastic between the layers of leather, and that's what molds to your foot.
  10. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Ok, I didn't know, thanks. Still, does the layer definitely get softened after the heating process ? I mean the layers in the boot can't stay as stiff as they were, after spending several minutes in a oven.:rolleyes:
  11. overedge

Actually it's pretty hard to tell the difference. The plastic doesn't melt into being like a liquid - it just softens very slightly. The boots just feel like you have skated in them a couple of times.
  12. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

It's a little bit like for mouthguards... You put your mouthguard it in hot water for a few minutes, then in your mouth until it cools and that's it !
  13. GarrAarghHrumph

I haven't noticed any difference in the actual stiffness/hardness of the boot before and after heat-molding. All I've noticed is that it fits a lot better.

The plastics used are designed to be heat molded, so they would be designed to be able to handle the oven, and to recover afterwards.
  14. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thank you for the advises.
    I will try the new boots and see if it actually some fiting adjustement or not.
  15. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I've just got an information that I didn't know about : someone told me that it is possible to put in the oven the boots with the blades mounted on them, that is to oven the blades as well as the boots.
    I actually find this method quite surprising since I thought that only the boots could be heated.

What do you think about it ? Is it true and possible to proceed that way ?
  16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I adored my heat moulded Grafs, and now love my Klingbeils (which were made from a mould of my foot). I heat moulded my Grafs in the oven at my house and they turned out great. I used my hair dryer once on them too.
  17. overedge

I suppose it could be done, although it might cause damage to the blades. My boots were heat molded at the shop before the blades were mounted.
  18. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I would never put boots with blades in the oven. Even if you could get them sitting perfectly upright, I would never do it and never recommend it.
  19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My fitter did my boots with the blades mounted. They were laid sideways in her convection oven (home shop). The difference in fit was fantastic so it clearly worked.

We don't have any actual pro shops, so this is all we can do. A sports store has a small boot oven for ski boots, I think, but it can not get hot enough for ice skates.
  20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

A lot of the skaters around here love Edeas, but except those who are WAY over booted , they all say they break down quickly :(
  21. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

No problem, in a CONVECTION oven, max T° : 60°Celsius* ! (that's the info I was given by my "fitter")
    *a higher temperature will damage the boot ! It's like for our skin : at 60°C, it's really hot, but your skin won't burn. At higher temperatures, it will dry, burn, etc. :(...

You'd be really careful to lace them properly and NOT walk in them without the guards... BUT don't put the guards too early, because of the T°.

Making it short, you can heat-mold them with the blades attached, but, when possible, it's better without.
  22. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thanks for the advice. The guy at the skateshop told me that it is better to skate a few times with the skates not heated, then bring them to the shop and have them put in the oven. Therefore the skates can't have anything else than the blades on them.

Finally I think I won't have my skates heat molded. I wear them at home and they get progressively fitted to my feet. I don't feel tough pain.

By the way I now have another issue : the guy at the store mounted the blades and didn't want to sharpen them right away. He said that the industrial sharpening is just fine and even said that it's better because it is the orginal shape of the blade.
    I don't really know what to think about it since I've always been told that it is better to have the blades sharpened when they are brand new. The guy told me the exact contrary...
  23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've never heard of "wearing skates a few times" before heat-molding. For one thing, it's unsanitary - I don't think the oven gets hot enough to kill bacteria. (Imagine owning the next pair to go into the oven?) For another, it defeats the purpose of molding the skates to your feet properly and eliminating some of the pain that comes from breaking them in, old-school style.

The factory sharpening often has dips and uneven edges. It doesn't matter if they're recreational or high-end figure blades. The only reason they put an edge on the blades is to let the skater test the alignment. Plus, if you use a ROH that's different from the one purported to be on the new blades, it's really uncomfortable to skate on.

I think that if the skates are designed to be heat-molded, you should use the feature. It really does make the skates fit better, faster. Why waste expensive ice time breaking in skates when you can spend 30 mins heat-molding them?

Walking gently in the skates is okay, especially up and down stairs, but it's not going to mold the skates as well as skating in them or using the heat-molding feature. (Too much off-ice in skates can loosen the blade or pull the heel off the boot.)
  24. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

I totally agree with FigureSpins.

(And I really don't trust your "fitter" !)
  25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I second this. If the skates have been designed for heat molding, you should have them molded at the shop before they mount the blades.
  26. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I don't think the blades on/off matters that much, to be honest. Many of the "skate sets" (boot-and-blade combos) from Riedell and Jackson are heat-moldable.

The plastic waterproof coating on soles of the Jackson skates get a little toasty, but it doesn't affect the leather. In fact, it might actually seal the sole better.

One tip I read suggested putting a cushion over any areas that need to be "punched" before heat molding. For example, if you know you need the ankle area punched out, put a round makeup sponge inside your sock/stocking before putting on the heated boots. That molds the ankle area a little wider, so when you wear the skates later without the cushion, you have more room.

I don't think any PVC-bottomed skates are heat-moldable, correct? I can't think of any from the catalogs.
  27. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I agree with FigureSpins, too. You need a GOOD sharpener to sharpen your blades. And based on my experience, I say just heat mold the boots! Now that I've had two pairs of heat-molded boots, I can't believe I suffered without heat-molding them before (and the heat-molded boots hold up just as well). I also had mine heat-molded with the blade already on. Just be careful not to let your blades come into contact with anything that could melt onto the blades as you wait for them to cool down. Keep something like a 100% cotton towel under the blades while you wear your skates after they come out of the oven.
  28. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Thanks for sharing you experience.
    I ended up not having the heating system done on my skates, I don't feel unconfortable in them nor do I feel pain. Since I actually feel ok, without pain (except the one created by the pressure on the tong because the boot is very stiff), I think I won't go through the heating process.
    I wore the boots twice at home before skating. At first (at home) it did hurt, but once I had skated about an hour with them, the pain almost disapeared and now it's ok, I can skate without any problem.
  29. mag

mag Well-Known Member

This is so important. When my dd first started skating, I didn't know any better so I took her skates to the hockey guy at the rink. One day her CanSkate instructor called me over to rink and suggested I take her skates to the figure skate shop for sharpening. The hockey guy didn't have have the tools to get close enough to the pick so there was a large bump before the pick where the blade hadn't been sharpened. She noticed when she was trying to teach waltz jumps ... made the rolling up onto the pick a bit difficult :)
  30. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Quick note...my daughter has been wearing her Edeas for two weeks now, and she can finally land all her jumps again. but the first week was painful. She said the skates feel feather-light, "like slippers" compared to her other skates, but they are very stiff and she had quite a few very achy days. This is much different than the heat-moldable skates where it was more "get up and go".

She's only doing doubles, so we'll see how they hold up.