The Hare and the Pineapple: can you pass the test?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

2. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Wow. That's really a ridiculous attempt at a story with some ridiculous questions after.

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

At least it was more entertaining that the tripe I had to read when going through standardized tests. :lol:

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I really wish this had been the story I had on those stupid MEAP tests.

Just kidding, this was actually on the SAT?? I don't believe that. No way.

I love that they released a statement about how ridiculous it is.

I really wish the Commissioner had said what he/she really felt about the "passage" right here.

Oh gosh, even better is what the 'author' wrote on his website here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

It wasn't SAT's, it was the ELA's...right?

And I love that they explain that it won't be counted. :lol: It wouldn't be so bad if the questions made sense.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I love that the wife ordered eggplant and he mentions having to take her to a cheap lunch with his check. He even mentions waiting 8 months to cash it. Clearly, he wasn't given much money for his passage, haha.

7. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

And people wonder why teachers are out railing against standardized testing. Although this is the crappiest example I've seen yet, I have seen some real doozies on the tests my students take.

And I've also seen question writers who clearly lack understanding of the passage or poem about which they are writing questions. :wall:

8. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

<snort> I love Daniel Pinkwater. He writes such funny kids' books.

Don't know what the standardized testing people were thinking, but whatever. . .

9. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a story a law school professor told me. When he took the multiple choice portion of the Bar exam, there was a passage from a Supreme Court decision and questions about what the passage meant. My professor was the law clerk who wrote the passage, and none of them were remotely close to the correct meaning.

10. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

WTF? That doesn't even make sense. I also hate these stupid leaps. OK, the pineapple can talk, and so can all the animals. But the pineapple can't race? Why is a talking pineapple acceptable but a running one not? You're reading a story about a hare having a conversation with a pineapple, it's not exactly absurd in that context that the pineapple can run. I'm also stumped about which animal spoke the wisest words. Is it the owl, for pointing out that pineapples don't have sleeves?? Oof.

ETA: How the hell did the pineapple even get in the forest if it can't run?! I need to stop thinking about this. Although I did think the moral of the story was genuinely funny and I'm going to assume that was its intended effect. This reads like a Monty Python sketch or something.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012