The half-ass layback position

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Dec 25, 2011.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

2. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

I didn't miss that part but it seems that you didn't get my point. And I do care about things like that.
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

La mariƩe est trop belle. :shuffle:

ITA. Ota remains my absolute favorite Japanese skater, short career non-withstanding.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. sarakimm

sarakimm New Member

This clip illustrates the point of another thread regarding camera work. Here we have one of the most beautiful spins in skating and what do we see -- a fleeting glimpse of her beautiful back and leg positions, and then a close up where we see virtually nothing of the spin. :mad::wall:
  5. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I have to thank this thread for a) reminding me just how damn good Angela Nikidinov was overall and b) causing me to go on yet another youtube Sylvie Guillem marathon. I worship that woman. She is AMAZING. :swoon:
    I think of all the layback videos I watched, my personal favorite has to be Naomi Nari Nam's. She had everything-speed, high leg position, and a beautiful back. Dorothy Hamill is a close second for me--hers is the most ethereal to watch. Sasha's was great but I always was disappointed when she didn't hold the first beautiful classic position, and went in to another position that wasn't nearly as aesthetically pleasing.
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I love it when she would arch her back like that. She also had a similar but prettier position circa 2009, but decided to scrap it for one that is easier for her to obtain level 4. Boo.
  8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

10. monty

monty New Member

I always get a little teary-eyed when I watch baby NCubed skate. What could have been. We were all cheated but most especially Nam. Big sigh and back to cleaning the attic.
  11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Fixed :)
  12. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

It makes me :( to see a young Mao. She jumped triple axels like they were double axels. Absolutely no preparation for the takeoff and she somehow had the spring to do it. It's really a shame she didn't have a great coaching situation between 2006-2010 because she should be an Olympic champion (and all of this is coming from someone who initially did not like her skating 5 years ago).
  13. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

or not. we live in a world where midori ito isn't an olympic champion. potential really means very little if you can't pull it off on a very specific day that happens once every 4 years
  14. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

This skater on Youtube has an unusual but gorgeous variation on a sideways leaning spin with a free leg that starts very nicely turned out.
  15. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

16. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

That last layback spin... There will never be one that tops it. I just, gah its unbelievable. I really want Caroline to work hard and get her due, the talent in that one spin is just holy potatoes.
  17. Lavergne100

Lavergne100 New Member

Lucinda Ruh was the best female spinner EVER in my opinion. The speed and the perfect positions were undervalued.