The Greatest 3 Performances in the Olympic

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SkatingAnalyst, Apr 1, 2011.

1. miki88

miki88 New Member

Ladies:
    SP: Michelle's 98 SP & Oskana's 94 SP (she's still the best swan in my opinion)

LP: Janet Lynn's 1972 freeskate and Lu Chen's '98 freeskate
    (While these performances aren't technically perfect, they are the most emotional and memorable LP's for me. )

Men:
    Yagudin's SP and LP are simply the best!

Pairs:
    G & G's performances at their first Olympics

Dance:
    Torvill & Dean's Bolero masterpiece.
  2. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

For me....

Men: 2002 Alexei Yagudin

Ladies: 2010 Yuna Kim

Dance: 2010 Virtue/Moir

I will never forget these great olympic performances as long as I live.
  3. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I wish Kim had skated to Lark Ascending at the Olympics. Now THAT would have been the greatest performance in the Olympics if she executed everything the way she did in her Gershwin program.
  4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

5. amaro

amaro New Member

No, I may be being blunt, but nationality (or emotional proximity to a skater) does and should affect how a viewer feels about a skater's performance, particularly about ones in the Olympics where nationalism and medal counting is a big part of it.

For the rest of your comment, I defer to orientalplane's post. To add my thought to it, Yuna's performance to the abstract jazz piece was more mature, subtle and sophisticated than Tara's bubbly and innocent performance to Rainbow, which was a bit juniorish (being 15) to today's standards but still age appropriate and nice. I would still pick Yuna's performance over Tara's because to me it is much more significant in terms of both artistry and technicality.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you for making them available! And thank you for the book recommendation -- I know Keith Money from his books on ballet and from his participation in the documentary "Margot" -- I just ordered it from amazon.com. Oglanby's book is available for over $100 now, and I think I'll pass. I'd rather read your book (candle lit that you'll write it).
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I may have misinterpreted the intent of this thread. I don't have any links to post. I could do that of course, but it takes too much time and work :lol:

Thanks to all who posted the links. Quite frankly, I found it impossible to come up with just 3 great performances from the Olympics (although I posted 3 or 4 in a previous post). There are too many disciplines, SP & LP, and too many great performances. I am just going to enjoy them all.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Curry had three triples, through 3Lo, all of them beautiful. He also did his second 2A just before the 5-minute mark. The only jump with a simple entrance, telegraphed, was the 2Lz. He not only spun in both directions more than once, he changed directions multiple times in the program. There were slow parts musically, but there was not a break. He had turns and footwork throughout. He had a wide variety of spin positions and multiple moves in the field. He had transitions, transitions, transitions.

While he might not have been the fastest across the ice in the FS, the fast music from "Don Quixote" pas de deux he used is quite quick, and he kept up with quick steps and turns.

If you fast forward four years later, Robin Cousins attempted four triples, but didn't land the 3Lo properly; I'm not sure if the last two triples would be called a sequence. He also had three huge 2A's and a beautiful 1A, did one set of spins in opposite directions, and he milked his beautiful camel/spiral position for all it was worth :)

There wasn't that much of a gap between the two, with Curry landing the most difficult jump perfectly and having difficult entrances into most of his others, and Cousins attempting one more triple and landing one more 2A. It's not as if Curry were a technical laggard in the historical scheme of things. The big jump came between 1976 and 1984, with Orser's winning FS including five triples through 3A -- he doubled the Salchow towards the end, and he didn't do 3Lo -- and one 3/2 combination, and then again in 1988, where Boitano added 3A combo, Tano 3Lz, and a 3/3 among his jumps.
  9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

For me:

Ladies- Kim in 2010. This one was easy for me. Kim is a much stronger jumper and artist both than Lipinski, so with both skating their best it is really no contest. And Tara and Michelle in 1998 had previously been the best performances in Olympic skating history.

Men- Curry in 1976. I pick this narrowly over Yagudin in 2002.

Pairs- Gordeeva & Grinkov in 1988, with M&D in 94 a close second. I would have picked M&D in 92 or G&G in 94 had either gone clean.

Dance- Klimova & Ponamarenko in 1992 with T&D in 84 a close second. I know T&D in 84 were probably the greatest, but just personal preference.
  10. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

For me:

Ladies - Yu Na Kim LP 2010

Men - Yagudin LP 2002 (that made me a fan of figure skating, before it was a sport among others I loved :) ), 2nd emotionally Plushenko SP 2006 :D (I owe this to my room-mates in college, I got crazy whole week! :) )

Pairs - Gordeeva&Grinkov 1988, and emotionally Shen&Zhao 2010 SP (dreams come true :) )and also Pang&Tong LP

Dance - Torvill&Dean 84
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

ITA about B&S's SP at the 2002 Olympics. It was sublime, and I was lucky enough to see it live, in the arena.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised youtube had not pulled those Vancouver videos they seem to have pulled every thing else Olympic related...within minutes.
  13. jatale

jatale New Member

NBC successfully blocked all Youtube videos of their 2010 Olympic coverage for more than a year. Not only did NBC provide terrible coverage (ABC was MUCH better during the years it did the broadcasts) but they then tried to force everyone to visit their web site to view videos too. I think now that the 2010 NBC olympic web site is no longer showing those videos, I guess they don't care anymore.

4/8 - Well I may have to take back what I said earlier in this post. I checked again today and the Olympic vids that were there for awhile last month seem to have vanished. Very upsetting.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm glad they are allowing them on. I paid for the whole competition through Amazon Video and one day it was gone. I would love to see some again.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Men's: Alexei Yagudin, 2002. Far and away.

Ladies: Uh...I'm not really sure. It's my least-favorite anyway. Yuna was technically brilliant and very pretty in her LP, though I liked her SP better.

Pairs: S/Z in 2010 for pure OVERDUE. Not as good as Turnadot at Worlds.

Dance: T/D's 1994 Rhumba. Closest thing ever to truly DANCING on ice.
  16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

There are many great performances. The ones which are particularly emotional for me are the ones I saw in real time ( not live-I have never been to Olympics- but at least as they were happening). Thus, Yagudin's 2002 SLC victory has never been topped in my world. I was an emotional mess, out of happiness and excitement and nerves. I love and admire John Curry, and watched his Olympic LP many times, but I don't feel the same emotional charge as I feel thinking of Yagudin, because I did not live it.

I am not an ardent Yu-Na fan, but I admit that her victory was on par with Yagudin's- a rare, perfect Olympic moment when an athlete delivers 200%.

Dance- Klimova/ Ponomarenko 1992. That's the occasion when I agree nationality plays a part. I understand the greatness of Torville/ Dean, but I grew up watching Russian dance teams, so K/P exemplified perfect style for me; I prefer Bach to Bolero anyway.

Pairs... I dunno. Quite a few outstanding performances. But I am hoping for that "perfect moment" delivery from V/T in Sochi:)
  17. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I have to say, I'm going to go a slightly different direction with the men's...

Yagudin's SP/LP in SLC were great, sure, but my favourite Olympic performance was Ilia Kulik's SHORT program in Nagano. I was a big fan of Revolutions! It was also the program that put him in the perfect place to launch his LP from.

I was a big fan of the wings...

I'm also going to give an honourable mention to Plushenko's SLC LP. I just think it was one of the ultimate examples of not holding back - he just flung himself full-throttle into that program and gave it everything he had. He knew he had nothing to lose and went hard. It didn't come off, but he sure didn't die with petrol in the tank!

(Also, triple axel-half loop-triple flip. HELL YEAH!)

From toreador and matador to flirty gypsy girl and back again...
  18. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

:kickass: Thanks for the reminder! He looks so fresh, young, juicy, yeah!!! :encore::plush:
  19. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

turandot it's my best pairs program ever, I love it!

both Plushenko and Yagudin were amazing! I love more Yagudin, because it caught me more emotionally, but also Evgeni was great (I'm somehow an uber of both of them)!
  20. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I know Mirai didn't win any medal but I think her FS from Vancouver was one of the best in the olympics ;) Ladies competition was very strong and all: Yuna's FS, Mao's SP & Mirai's FS simply delighted me.

Before Vancouver I would say that The Greatest olympics performances were:

Yagudin's "Overcome"
    Baiul's "Swan Lake" (ex)
    Kwan's "Lyra Anglica"
    "Bolero" by Torvill & Dean

I know it's more than 3 but there are so many great programs... :)
  21. duane

duane New Member

I love this clip. We're seeing a transition period of men's FS...then end of the Stojko/Eldredge/Kulik era, to the beginning of the Yagudin/Plushenko era.

What makes Kulik's skating and appearance so unique is his height. He seems so TALL on the ice, and at nearly 6' tall (compared to the slew of shorties), I guess he was.

Oh, and one more thing about your post...I too give a HELL YEAH to Plushenko's 3axel/.5 loop/3flip! :respec:
  22. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Barbara Ann Scott - it was cold out there
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Skate Talker, I really admire Barbara Ann Scott's achievement.
    She reportedly said that she had been warned that the ice was full of ruts which she had to avoid!

Her FS starts at about 4:40 of this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bHRVndot0

Thanks, floskate!
  24. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

If you are talking about her exhibition, then you must mean "The Swan" - she skated to Saint-Saens' "The (Dying) Swan" from Carnival of the Animals for her exhibition, and to Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" for her SP. :)
  25. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  26. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Men: Yagudin's SP in 2002
    Dance: Torvill & Dean 1984
    Ladies: Lipinski LP in 1998
    Pairs: Berezhnaia/Sikharulidze 2002 Olympics SP
  27. misskarne

I would have been really interested to see what would have happened had Ilia not had his problems in Nagano and gone on to SLC. Technically he was definitely a match for Yagudin and Plushenko. (Of course the unfortunate flipside to this is: poor Sasha Abt :()

Does anyone actually have the official word on Ilia's height? I've seen him placed anywhere from 5'9" to 6'1".
  28. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

180cm, aka 5'11'.
  29. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

What problems did Ilia have in Nagano? :confused:
  30. misskarne

Thankyou. A nice tall lad. I like tall lads. ;) :swoon:

He practically had a nervous breakdown...after Nagano he went straight to the pros, he didn't even do Worlds that year.
  31. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

In Centennial on Ice Kulik´s height was announced as 176 cm, a liiittle bit more than 5" 10, I think. He was shorter than Urmanov who was about 6".
  32. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Actually Ilia suffered from back problems before Nagano (did not participate in Europeans 1998) and had the same problem after Nagano (maybe in Nagano, too).
  33. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Ilia was just fine psychologically in Nagano; actually, it has been commented on (even by Scott and other TV commentary people at the time) how well and calmly he handled an overwhelming amount of pressure there. Misskarne, if you watch the Nagano programs on Youtube, you will hear Scott discussing how almost preternaturally calm Ilia seems to be. He really held it together so well - no nerves showed at all!

Actually, Ilia says he wasn't that calm but he used some very definite techniques (sorta Zen stuff even back then) to stay very focused and as he said in an interview about it (also on Youtube), kept himself "from going into the distractions." Jaana is correct that he had back problems going into Nagano (very painful muscle spasms), handled them well through the Olympic process and then decided he did not want to push through the pain or the pressure any longer just before Worlds (and maybe that's the problem moment to which you refer).

He had just had it at that point and he just stopped, very suddenly and under a lot of internal pressure. He has said to the Krew that he now thinks that maybe he should have pushed himself through Worlds in 1998 - he has had second thoughts about that one. Beyond Worlds though he was very happy and definite about leaving eligible skating at the end of that season. He has said that it was very clear to him that he wanted to skate more expressively, do some of his own choreography, explore more styles of dance/skating than he could in eligible skating and make his own decisions as an adult. His four year contract with SOI following Nagano allowed him to do it all and establish a new home for himself in the LA area. He was really living his dreams.

Ilia's height is almost always listed at 5'11" - he is actually just slightly under 5'11", fairly tall for a skater. In skates he's over
    6' and looks every handsome inch of it.

PS Edited to add, to see just how very well Ilia was in Nagano look at video of his performance at the Olympic Gala in Tokyo afterward - he was so full of joy!
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  34. misskarne

Willowway, I apologise. I was well aware of Scott Hamilton's commentary (I find him quite funny on Nagano vids) but I had heard elsewhere that behind the mask he was in a bit of mental strife. However, if that is not the case, I am glad to hear it, because he deserved every inch of that gold medal and I am glad he was able to completely enjoy it!

Absolutely :swoon: He is a glorious sight! :swoon:
  35. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

So totally handsome in every aspect! he was my big favourite since I first saw him in 95, when he came from nowhere and won Europeans, his basic and cuteness blew me away!

His exhibition in Nagano was amazing, I was mesmerized (is that the spelling??) by his Liebestraum, so simple and clean, yet totally amazing. To me, that piece is what skating is all about! awwww good memories!
    (Neither Lotta Falckenbäck or I could breath during Ilias free skate in Nagano, we were both too nervous lol:lol:)
  36. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Misskarne - no apoligies needed. There's misinformation out there about pretty much everyone. Ilia has had his difficult moments but he certainly did not have any kind of breakdown in Nagano - quite the opposite, he managed it like the champ he is.

SmallFairy - I was with you. I must have breathed during Ilia's LP but I don't recall doing it. I do recall screaming "YES, YOU DID IT" while jumping to my feet at the end. Even watching it now, the moment still thrills me. During World Pros some years later, Ilia skated out to take his place for his long (artistic) program, placed himself and then we heard those familiar opening notes on the clarinet and realized that yes, we were going to see "Rhapsody in Blue" live. I never thought I would see it (even minus the quad) in person and I teared up - it was so thrilling. He won that night also.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  37. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Willoway, I wish I'd seen that, live.
  38. rudi

rudi New Member

You know, I have always been a huge Kwan fan was really disappointed when she didn't win the gold in Nagano; however, with that said, I have to hand it to Tara. I just watched her performance again, and IMHO, it was one of the best Olympic performances and a well deserved gold.
  39. misskarne

I'm really jealous you saw it live/remember it. I remember doing a unit of work on the Winter Olympics for Nagano (I was in primary school then, ten years old, and the only reason I could remember it was that I was the only one who could write the mascots' names in Japanese).

But I have the video on my harddrive, and it still leaves me breathless anyway!
  40. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

John Curry 1976 Olympics LP

Gordeeva & Grinkov 1994 Olympics Exhibition

Alexei Yagudin 2002 Olympics SP