The Greatest 3 Performances in the Olympic

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SkatingAnalyst, Apr 1, 2011.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know of a print bio, but here are links to a TV program called "Maestro":
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

Links to "50 Golden Days"
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

All were posted to YouTube by floskate :respec:

2. amaro

amaro Active Member

Perhaps that was so because you are American. It was joyous like crazy to Koreans. Putting how joyous a performance was aside, I think Yuna's performance was just amazing both technically and artistically.

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I understand what blue_idealist means. Lipinski smiled her way right through that programme, and that's part of what made it so wonderful. But Kim's music called for something rather different, and she interpreted it perfectly by being elegant, sophisticated, cool and serene. If she'd had a permanent grin all the way through the Gershwin Concerto it wouldn't have been appropriate or fitting to the music.

I love both interpretations. They are two of my favourite performances of all time.

4. floskate

floskate Vacant

John could skate with incredible speed....when he wanted to. His pacing was all down to what the music told him to do. John would never skate fast just for the sake of skating fast, but his mastery of the blade was such that he could make those choices. ITA on everything else you say about his Olympic program.

Not sure I get the Galindo comparison. For his era Rudy had very good position and line, but it pales in comparison to John's. I think Paul Wylie had a much more classic bodyline for example, but Paul was much more of a showy and ''ta-da'' kind of skater. The closest comparison to John's positioning would proably be Rudi Cerne of Germany.

@kwanfan1818, thanks for posting the links to my vids. Regarding a written biography of John, there is an excellent picture book by Keith Money that can often be found on ebay or amazon. Another biography called Black Ice was written after John's death by his former manager Elva Oglanby but John's family took out an injunction and it was withdrawn from sale. I have a copy and they do appear from time to time but often sell for over $100. It's rather tastelessly written and focuses waaay too much on his private life, plus none of it is corroborated or properly referenced. Hopefully someday, someone will write a definitive biography. It's an idea I have toyed with myself actually! :D

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm actually Canadian.

6. amaro

amaro Active Member

Well said.

7. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

I second this absolutely gorgeous, exquisite skate.

8. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Thanks. Other Olympics host broadcasters also have copyrights. But they are just less greedy!:mad:

9. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

You made a valid point about Yu-Na's joy being seen in a different way. I'm sorry you felt the need to throw in this non-value-added dig, which is what I'll take away more than the good sense you brought to the discussion.

I wouldn't put Lipinski at #1 because I found her skate to not have the sophistication of other performances including that of YuNa.

On the "joy" factor between her and YuNa, I did feel that Tara skated without any apparent pressure or weight of expectations. There was a certain liberation in how she skated that YuNa didn't have, especially when you look at their performances earlier in the season. Kim did a fantastic job performing her program under such enormous pressure, but (understandably) I still see she was holding back slightly vs what I saw from that program earlier in the season where we was a little more free in her movement and flirtatious with the audience. Again, stands to reason but her energy dialed down to something more controlled come the Olympic LP whereas Tara stepped it up a notch.

I think what impressed some people about Tara was that she brought her energy up a tad vs earlier season performances in the face of only having a small crack in the door left open by Kwan. She had to be perfect and sell the heck out of her program as her only chance. And she stepped up. Well done, but all in all, not my #1 skate.

Not enough to make Tara #1...but...just my take on the "joy" observation

10. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Yes! B/S 2002 SP: sublime. I put that as my #2 skate after M/D 1994 LP. Spellbinding...and whodathunk butter color pants could look so yummy on a guy?

11. miki88

miki88 New Member

Ladies:
    SP: Michelle's 98 SP & Oskana's 94 SP (she's still the best swan in my opinion)

LP: Janet Lynn's 1972 freeskate and Lu Chen's '98 freeskate
    (While these performances aren't technically perfect, they are the most emotional and memorable LP's for me. )

Men:
    Yagudin's SP and LP are simply the best!

Pairs:
    G & G's performances at their first Olympics

Dance:
    Torvill & Dean's Bolero masterpiece.

12. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

For me....

Men: 2002 Alexei Yagudin

Ladies: 2010 Yuna Kim

Dance: 2010 Virtue/Moir

I will never forget these great olympic performances as long as I live.

13. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I wish Kim had skated to Lark Ascending at the Olympics. Now THAT would have been the greatest performance in the Olympics if she executed everything the way she did in her Gershwin program.

14. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

15. amaro

amaro Active Member

No, I may be being blunt, but nationality (or emotional proximity to a skater) does and should affect how a viewer feels about a skater's performance, particularly about ones in the Olympics where nationalism and medal counting is a big part of it.

For the rest of your comment, I defer to orientalplane's post. To add my thought to it, Yuna's performance to the abstract jazz piece was more mature, subtle and sophisticated than Tara's bubbly and innocent performance to Rainbow, which was a bit juniorish (being 15) to today's standards but still age appropriate and nice. I would still pick Yuna's performance over Tara's because to me it is much more significant in terms of both artistry and technicality.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you for making them available! And thank you for the book recommendation -- I know Keith Money from his books on ballet and from his participation in the documentary "Margot" -- I just ordered it from amazon.com. Oglanby's book is available for over $100 now, and I think I'll pass. I'd rather read your book (candle lit that you'll write it).

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I may have misinterpreted the intent of this thread. I don't have any links to post. I could do that of course, but it takes too much time and work :lol:

Thanks to all who posted the links. Quite frankly, I found it impossible to come up with just 3 great performances from the Olympics (although I posted 3 or 4 in a previous post). There are too many disciplines, SP & LP, and too many great performances. I am just going to enjoy them all.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Curry had three triples, through 3Lo, all of them beautiful. He also did his second 2A just before the 5-minute mark. The only jump with a simple entrance, telegraphed, was the 2Lz. He not only spun in both directions more than once, he changed directions multiple times in the program. There were slow parts musically, but there was not a break. He had turns and footwork throughout. He had a wide variety of spin positions and multiple moves in the field. He had transitions, transitions, transitions.

While he might not have been the fastest across the ice in the FS, the fast music from "Don Quixote" pas de deux he used is quite quick, and he kept up with quick steps and turns.

If you fast forward four years later, Robin Cousins attempted four triples, but didn't land the 3Lo properly; I'm not sure if the last two triples would be called a sequence. He also had three huge 2A's and a beautiful 1A, did one set of spins in opposite directions, and he milked his beautiful camel/spiral position for all it was worth :)

There wasn't that much of a gap between the two, with Curry landing the most difficult jump perfectly and having difficult entrances into most of his others, and Cousins attempting one more triple and landing one more 2A. It's not as if Curry were a technical laggard in the historical scheme of things. The big jump came between 1976 and 1984, with Orser's winning FS including five triples through 3A -- he doubled the Salchow towards the end, and he didn't do 3Lo -- and one 3/2 combination, and then again in 1988, where Boitano added 3A combo, Tano 3Lz, and a 3/3 among his jumps.

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

For me:

Ladies- Kim in 2010. This one was easy for me. Kim is a much stronger jumper and artist both than Lipinski, so with both skating their best it is really no contest. And Tara and Michelle in 1998 had previously been the best performances in Olympic skating history.

Men- Curry in 1976. I pick this narrowly over Yagudin in 2002.

Pairs- Gordeeva & Grinkov in 1988, with M&D in 94 a close second. I would have picked M&D in 92 or G&G in 94 had either gone clean.

Dance- Klimova & Ponamarenko in 1992 with T&D in 84 a close second. I know T&D in 84 were probably the greatest, but just personal preference.

20. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

For me:

Ladies - Yu Na Kim LP 2010

Men - Yagudin LP 2002 (that made me a fan of figure skating, before it was a sport among others I loved :) ), 2nd emotionally Plushenko SP 2006 :D (I owe this to my room-mates in college, I got crazy whole week! :) )

Pairs - Gordeeva&Grinkov 1988, and emotionally Shen&Zhao 2010 SP (dreams come true :) )and also Pang&Tong LP

Dance - Torvill&Dean 84

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

ITA about B&S's SP at the 2002 Olympics. It was sublime, and I was lucky enough to see it live, in the arena.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised youtube had not pulled those Vancouver videos they seem to have pulled every thing else Olympic related...within minutes.

23. jatale

jatale New Member

NBC successfully blocked all Youtube videos of their 2010 Olympic coverage for more than a year. Not only did NBC provide terrible coverage (ABC was MUCH better during the years it did the broadcasts) but they then tried to force everyone to visit their web site to view videos too. I think now that the 2010 NBC olympic web site is no longer showing those videos, I guess they don't care anymore.

4/8 - Well I may have to take back what I said earlier in this post. I checked again today and the Olympic vids that were there for awhile last month seem to have vanished. Very upsetting.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm glad they are allowing them on. I paid for the whole competition through Amazon Video and one day it was gone. I would love to see some again.

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Men's: Alexei Yagudin, 2002. Far and away.

Ladies: Uh...I'm not really sure. It's my least-favorite anyway. Yuna was technically brilliant and very pretty in her LP, though I liked her SP better.

Pairs: S/Z in 2010 for pure OVERDUE. Not as good as Turnadot at Worlds.

Dance: T/D's 1994 Rhumba. Closest thing ever to truly DANCING on ice.

26. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

There are many great performances. The ones which are particularly emotional for me are the ones I saw in real time ( not live-I have never been to Olympics- but at least as they were happening). Thus, Yagudin's 2002 SLC victory has never been topped in my world. I was an emotional mess, out of happiness and excitement and nerves. I love and admire John Curry, and watched his Olympic LP many times, but I don't feel the same emotional charge as I feel thinking of Yagudin, because I did not live it.

I am not an ardent Yu-Na fan, but I admit that her victory was on par with Yagudin's- a rare, perfect Olympic moment when an athlete delivers 200%.

Dance- Klimova/ Ponomarenko 1992. That's the occasion when I agree nationality plays a part. I understand the greatness of Torville/ Dean, but I grew up watching Russian dance teams, so K/P exemplified perfect style for me; I prefer Bach to Bolero anyway.

Pairs... I dunno. Quite a few outstanding performances. But I am hoping for that "perfect moment" delivery from V/T in Sochi:)

27. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I have to say, I'm going to go a slightly different direction with the men's...

Yagudin's SP/LP in SLC were great, sure, but my favourite Olympic performance was Ilia Kulik's SHORT program in Nagano. I was a big fan of Revolutions! It was also the program that put him in the perfect place to launch his LP from.

I was a big fan of the wings...

I'm also going to give an honourable mention to Plushenko's SLC LP. I just think it was one of the ultimate examples of not holding back - he just flung himself full-throttle into that program and gave it everything he had. He knew he had nothing to lose and went hard. It didn't come off, but he sure didn't die with petrol in the tank!

(Also, triple axel-half loop-triple flip. HELL YEAH!)

From toreador and matador to flirty gypsy girl and back again...

28. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

:kickass: Thanks for the reminder! He looks so fresh, young, juicy, yeah!!! :encore::plush:

29. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

turandot it's my best pairs program ever, I love it!

both Plushenko and Yagudin were amazing! I love more Yagudin, because it caught me more emotionally, but also Evgeni was great (I'm somehow an uber of both of them)!

30. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

I know Mirai didn't win any medal but I think her FS from Vancouver was one of the best in the olympics ;) Ladies competition was very strong and all: Yuna's FS, Mao's SP & Mirai's FS simply delighted me.

Before Vancouver I would say that The Greatest olympics performances were:

Yagudin's "Overcome"
    Baiul's "Swan Lake" (ex)
    Kwan's "Lyra Anglica"
    "Bolero" by Torvill & Dean

I know it's more than 3 but there are so many great programs... :)