The Greatest 3 Performances in the Olympic

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SkatingAnalyst, Apr 1, 2011.

1. SkatingAnalyst

SkatingAnalyst New Member

2. jatale

jatale New Member

Thanks for the links! Three great performances, no doubt! It's wonderful to relive those moments, thanks to YouTube!

3. SkatingAnalyst

SkatingAnalyst New Member

4. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Ah well - here comes the wet blanket. These are all right but the title of your thread is very misleading as imho it should be qualified with Ladies and Recent Olympics. (Not saying I totally agree with the choices either but at least if I knew the topic was all about Ladies I would not have been so disappointed)

5. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I've noticed it tends to be easy to just choose performances from the 3 most recent olympics since these are more up to par with current difficulty levels

anyway as for my own personal opinion, this is artistically the best choreographed short program in the history of ladies skating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6z-gwiSRc

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Not certain I agree with your choices, especially the free skates. And it would have been lovely to know you meant ladies figure skating. Saying "The Greatest 3 Performances in the Olympic" implies all disciplines, imo.

7. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

as I agree with this, and the others who mentioned the same, and feels mislead and dissapointed with thread starters choices, I'm hijacking this thread, and bring you the three men that makes me cry when they skate, because everything they do is so unbelivably GOOD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Rpt0dF9zw

if anyone wants to object on Brians flying sit spin, split jumps, spread eagles and 3a are the best ever, I don't want to listen to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3s9aR079k

Tatiana Tarasova quote: today is great day for figure skating!!

....here I planned to post the link to Daisukes olympic free skate...and I couldn't find it!! jeeeez....

Still, those three....greatest 3 performances at the olympics! (that's the thread title right?) (and Dai didn't even win!)

...btw...I agree that Sasha Cohens sp from 2006 rocks:kickass:
    really one of the greatest ever!!

8. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

11. SmallFairy

12. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

You should have known that already, cosidering the original poster. :lol:

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's almost impossible to find clips of specific performances from Vancouver on Youtube - broadcast rights, I guess. The best I can do is a link to the point when Dai went on the ice for his LP.

No discussion of the best Olympic performances can be complete without this.

let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

this is tricky................

G&P's FD in Nagano, Michelle's lp in Nagano, Yuna's lp in Vancouver!

also!!!!! V/M's FD in vancouver, Yagudin's sp/lp in Saltlakecity!!!!

too hard:(

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

THE Best in all 4 disciplines, these all happen to be LPs:

Ladies: 2010 Yu-Na Kim (2nd - 1972 Janet Lynn)

Men: 1976 John Curry (2nd - 1988 Boitano)

Pairs: 1988 Gordeeva/Grinkov (2nd - 1968 Protopopovs)

Dance: 1984 Torvill/Dean (2nd - 2010 Virtue/Moir)

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  16. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Yagudin!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I wonder if Scott Hamilton has ever listened to his commentary for this program, and been like "what was I thinking???" :lol:

17. SmallFairy

oh dear....I've actually never heard that commentary before! If I was Scott, I would dig myself deep down and never come back up. Conservative skating??? Two quads and triples all over the place?? "...if he's third, he's third, will it beat Timothy Goebel?" ha ha ha I think I'm cracking up :lol::lol:

Bad commentary can really ruin a moment, can it? I watched this performance live on SVT and they were crying with me! awww bless!!

(btw I'm really loving the direction of this thread, right:D)

18. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Would you please name that particular program? In my country the video isn't available, like many others as well, because of stupid (music/UMG) copyrights :mad::mad: ... thank you!

19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

It's John Curry's lp in Innsbruck in 1976

20. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

These are all excellent selections.
    What makes it hard is to decide how you look at it. Does it need to be technically perfect? Does it need to be mezmerizing? Do you have to consider the context? An example of this last point is Kim. No question, greatest ladies skate ever under the most enormous amount of pressure. But if you didn't know the background and her situation, was it really #1?

So I'm going mostly by impact with a good (but not perfect) degree of technical.

Ladies: Baiul 1994 SP
    Men: Curry 1976 LP
    Pairs: Mishkuteniok/Dmitriev 1994 LP
    Dance: Klimova/Ponomarkenko 1992 FD

21. floskate

floskate Vacant

I'm really not sure what you mean by this post. What was not perfect technically about John Curry's skate? It was absolutely flawless!

22. jatale

jatale New Member

For me the answers are yes, yes, and no (the only relevant "context" is temporal since the technical aspects of skating continue to advance as the years go by).

All these lists are so subjective, however, as to be almost meaningless. I, for example, find John Curry's Insbrook performance to be very slow, boring, and somnolent.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  23. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I was talking about the list as a whole, not each individual performance. Curry was perfect, but Baiul was not. The list, as a whole, is not made up of perfect skates.

Hope that clarifies.

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

The best ladies' one to me was Tara Lipinski's. Yu-Na's was technically perfect, but it lacked the joy that Tara's had.

For male gold medalists I would probably go with Brian Boitano's or Evan Lysacek's, but keep in mind I don't remember Yagudin's in much detail so if I were to I might choose that one instead. The Olympic mens' performance that moved me the most though was Elvis Stojko's in 1998, just because he was skating with so much pain - although I didn't know until after, so the emotional effect didn't happen until I was re-watching it.

Hmm, pairs.. I think Sale/Pelletier 2002 probably.

And dance, Virtue and Moir in 2010, closely followed by Anissina and Peizerat in 2002.

25. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Understood. I think different things inspire each of us as we watch. Taste is so personal.
    Top skaters of that era were not particularly speedy. Also, free skates were longer then so you had to pace yourself a bit. Still, I found this performance to be absolutely sublime; he hit the difficult triples of that era, spun in both directions, had wonderful and musical transitions and deployed field moves. Also his back, body line, extension and musical interpretation were all pretty much flawless. That might not bring you out of your seat, but it does for me.

His more modern contemporary would have been Galindo. Some similarities in that jumps, spins, body line where outstanding. Outside of the main elements, though, Galindo's complexity was painfully low, especially in footwork and transitions. He was not that quick around the ice either. Still -- and in part because of his known personal story -- his 96 nationals performance brought people out of their seats with tears in their eyes. I choked up, too...and I'm dead inside :p

26. duane

duane New Member

I so agree! I don't think I've ever seen an Olympic performance (Oksana a close second) where the skater seemed to be having so much fun on the ice.

For the men, my favorite is Kulik's 1998 LP.

For pairs, definitely m&d's 94 LP (they were SOOOO robbed!!)

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

28. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

A very interesting fellow, this John Curry! Do u guys know of a good biography of him? I'm quite intrigued about his life

29. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Only 3 best among 4 disciplines? That's a tough one.

Men- Have to go with Yagudin, although Kulik had a cleaner performance.

Ladies- Yu na Kim

Pairs- M&D 1994 (though not an OGM winner)

Ice dance- Tie between K&P and T&D

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011