The Gracie Gold Cheer Thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by FunnyBut, Jan 12, 2014.

1. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Gracie has learned to compete in such a short amount of time. I would love to see her on the world podium next month. As long as Akiko and Mao don't 't have a change of heart about not competing in worlds, and you know they will, I think Gracie's chances for a medal this year are excellent.

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It looks like Gracie will definitely be in a hunt for a medal at worlds. Really great skating from her, though she does need to work on her mental block with that 3F. If she'd hit that she'd have scored over 140+!

I was not much of a fan of Gracie's last season or at the beginning of this season but she's turned me around. She progressed impossibly fast and has really done a great job since nationals. She handled herself very well at the Olympics, much better than I thought she would.

I'm hopeful she'll have two great programs next season rather than a nice one and a doctored Zoueva reject one. I hope she continues to work on her arms (much less samurai-swordy but still in need of some refinement) and her expression/connection to the music. But considering the leaps and bounds she's improved in less than a year, I'm very happy for her.

Anyone else realize she's kinda following Mirai's path with Frank? Disappointing GP before the Olympics, great showing at nationals, great showings at the Olympics and a 4th place finish. Hopefully Gracie will keep her nerves and check and continue to deliver and improve over these next few years. Mirai started off well at worlds following her 4th place finish in Vancouver but never found her stride again...my fingers are crossed Gracie doesn't go that way.

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Gracie has more fortitude and willpower than Mirai did in 2010, and came to FC w/ good technique already so I'm optimistic

4. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I love Gracie's bitchface! I loved how she walked right past Sotnikova. :rofl: My favorite things about Gracie gold are her triple lutz and her bitchface. I also like her arms in her layback spin.

Now this little princess schtick she's on has to go, she's gotta do a tango. Or a flamenco. No cute schmamy-muzac "modern" version either, full out fire and passion with actual choreography behind it and you've got a World Champion.

I think Frank will have her practicing triple axels this off-season, he had Mirai doing them in practice and I think that's the money jump at least one or two skaters will have within the next couple years. She did a good job and she has a medal. :) She has a lot of coming out of her shell to do as a skater still, but it'll get there she came so far this year. Now it's time for a Salome, Frank didn't really get to spend a lot of time on programs with her. What Lori did for Kostner was nothing short of a miracle (for us).

5. olympic

Karpenko,

I think you might be on to something; Looking at the robust increase in scores over the past two (2) years, the powerful elements, the jump layouts at Sochi, and the forthcoming Russian onslaught in years ahead, Gracie is probably the biggest foil to Russian hegemony w/ the retirements of Yu Na, Mao, Carolina and Akiko. But she will need to step up her game even further to be a threat and a player:

Element-wise, the 3x is an idea: She was doing them in practice w/ a harness under Ouriashev, but I would say backload the programs a little more (Adelina does her 2x-3t in the 2nd half of the LP). The 3loop is the 3d jumping pass, but maybe she could switch it out w/ her final 2x, just as an example to point-whore.

Choreographically, skate to something like Carmina Burana. It's beautiful music but not princess-y and showcases power. Her skating is 'neater' and more poised w/ FC. I actually like her Skating Skills more than Adelina's and Julia's (but I think the 2 Russians skate w/ a little more heart right now when they are 'on') but FC likes things maybe a little too poised and pretty. So, is FC the guy to unleash her high octane power, increase her jump content that she will need to compete w/ Julia and Adelina and God knows who else from Russia?

6. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

LOL! She wears her bitchface like a wealthy woman wears Shalimar extrait. There was a backstage shot of Gracie and Ashley, and Gracie had on a defcon level 55 bitchface, while Ashley was cooling her bitchface down to defcon 50. Between the two, I was unsure if they were lacing their skates, or making a shiv out a toothbrush.

Gracie looked like she owned the place. Even with one fall, she skated amazingly well this whole competition. She was the one to watch, IMO.

Oh, and those carefully placed pageant smiles? They look so awesomely demented. If I were a skater, I'd be scared of Gracie. She may be kitted up like a Princess, but she's an intimidating figure, and I love it.

7. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

You guys scare me. ;)

8. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

If Gracie goes on and wins a medal at Worlds I could see your point. Mirai could have and missed her chance in 2010.

Good luck to Gracie, Ashley and Polina at Worlds. If enough of the truly great skaters sit it out they certainly have a chance to podium.

But they won't be going up against Yuna or Mao of the two 3A's - so hope they make the most of their chances.

I have a feeling that an angry little Julia, if healthy will win Worlds.

9. olympic

Regarding 2010 Worlds - Yu Na will not be there but everyone else will be, so theoretically everyone (except Adelina) would move up a spot. However, since they are in Japan, it's just as likely that Mao will slot onto the podium. Plus, Julia already had a bad skate and will likely be ready to fight for a podium spot. IMO, Gracie will have just as tough a time getting on the podium as she did at Sochi. One wild card factor is that Adelina and Julia's marks outside of Russia / Europe will probably not be as high. Ice is slippery.

I do think the US should hold onto 3 spots for 2015, though. Ashley and Polina are pretty solid.

10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Akiko too. I don't believe her when she says she won't skate at worlds. Yeah right. Sell me beachfront property in Arizona too. She will be there and she always skates well in Japan.

11. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

I was laughing my head off when I saw her give that b*tchface to Sotnikova. I'm looking forwards to her going against the Russians in the upcoming quad. I just hope she gets rid of that Disney-cereal-box-Princess aesthetic she's got going on right now.

Link pls?

12. Doozy

Doozy New Member

Where and when did this happen?

13. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

^When Sotnikova was running to hug her coaches after they announced Kim's scores.

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

What makes the results even more galling is Gracie owned Adelina last season.

15. Doozy

Doozy New Member

Here's Gracie walking out as the crowd is going crazy cheering for Adelina's skate:

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2mciyhd.jpg

Clearly she is not too happy about having to follow that.

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ NOBODY would be! :lol:

17. olympic

^You know what the upside of that was? She DID IT. Despite the fall, the raucous crowd, skating after huge marks by Carolina and Adelina, she held onto her performance throughout. Major respect! Ashley attacked, too. The U.S. for the first time in years is not represented by head-casey ladies. YAY!

18. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

No link that I know of. It was a backstage shot during the NBC broadcast.

19. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

...awwwww...Gracie has a twin sister!!!
    :):)

20. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She does have a twin sister for real.

21. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

Just bumping this thread up. What do you guys think about Gracie's chances in reaching the podium if she skates 2 clean programs this upcoming Worlds? So excited and can't wait.

22. olympic

Beyond 2 clean programs, I think it will take more palatable passion in addition to 2 clean programs from Gracie to get a medal. The 3 ladies who would most likely defeat Gracie in the judge's eyes are Mao, Carolina and Julia.

Mao and Carolina have a much bigger rep, and if Mao can do a clean SP and 8 triples in the LP again, she will probably win at home, bringing her career to an end w/ a big flourish. Carolina will easily get higher PCS than Gracie and if she is also clean, watch out! Having accomplished all of her competitive goals now w/ an Olympic medal and a World Championship, she can skate "free" at what will probably be her final championship, which will be nearly impossible for Gracie to beat.

I do think now that Worlds will be outside of Russia / Eastern Europe, Julia will be more catchable as far as Gracie is concerned, but not a given. I think Gracie is probably 1 mistake away from Julia, i.e. - if Julia makes a mistake but Gracie is clean in both programs, she could pip her for the bronze. I think there is a bit of sourness after the Olympics, so I don't think the judges are going to throw away enormous scores on Julia, BUT it will still be a challenge for Gracie to get past her.

IMO, Gracie should trounce Julia on the jumps and SS in the PCS portion, but Julia would be superior on Spins, and CH / IN. Normally, that would be enough for Gracie to win head to head, but Julia is SWR and she will still get a bounce due to that (it just won't be nearly as enormous in Japan as in Sochi).

All bets are off, though, if any of Mao, Carolina and Julia have a subpar performance or bomb.

ETA - I don't think Akiko is a factor where Gracie is concerned

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I had those 3 in mind as well...Asada, Kostner, Lipnitskaya. Those are the podium favorites from my POV. So I'm guessing it'll take a slip-up from at least 1 of them in addition to Gold skating 2 clean programs. Oh, and that is a pretty big IF, BTW...Gold has not skated 2 clean programs ever. Then again, if Sochi is any indication, maybe she doesn't need to...?

24. redfiretrees

Agree, Gracie hasn't been able to skate 2 clean programs yet in her career. Here's to hoping this will be the first time, what better place for it happen than at Worlds. But yes the chances of her skating clean for both programs is not that high but hopefully she'll surprise us.

25. redfiretrees

Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts on the matter. I also think that they are her main competition. I know compared to the other girls that you've mentioned she is lacking in artistry and musicality. People often mention that she her skating feels cold. I don't think she could improve that aspect in less than a month after Sochi. Hopefully, during this off season she'll spend time enhancing her artistry and also learn how to project to the audience.

I agree about Gracie should have better scores for her jumps but I know in Sochi in some instances she was given lower GOEs than Julia for certain jumps. Hopefully the scoring will be different in Japan as you've mentioned. I'm sorry but I can't seem to figure out what does SWR stand for?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  26. olympic

SWR - SKATING WHILE RUSSIAN: A little acronym for over-scored figure skaters from Russia

27. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:kickass:Good luck to Gracie on Thursday - I hope she skates a great short program and wins the short! :)

28. redfiretrees

Nervous for Gracie, she's skating last in a super packed and loaded penultimate group. Hope that she'll be able to handle her nerves and won't be tense during her SP like in Sochi.

29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Lol now that the USA has a G.G., Ladies is back to being amongst my favorite discipline to watch at Worlds. :) I'm sooooo sooooo EXCITED for G.G. and hope she hits it out of the ballpark tonight!!!!:rollin::encore::cheer2:

30. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I thought I would look at this thread for the first time as I've really grown to like Gracie this season, then I saw the bitchy, nasty comments about Russia.
    Classy (!).
    Goodbye...................