The Good Wife - Season Four

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 30, 2012.

1. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I hate Canning...
    Michael J. Fox is doing a great job, one cannot but to have an opinion about his character.

I think Alicia is a little dumb. Was she thinking partnership was for free?
    Diane remains my favorite character. I would love to see more of Will.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It does seem unrealistic that she wouldn't know there was some investment required, but $600K does seem steep. But I have no idea what a typical partner level investment would be.

The thing about Canning is that most of the guest characters have some sort of extreme quirk about them and are best in small doses. no way would Canning be a good regular character

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well what I saw of the show was great but due to some stupid timing issues between watching a show on an American channel that then get overtaken by a Canadian showing the same thing -- I MISSED THE ENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I turn on CBS at 9 to watch The Good Wife cause I watched other things when it was on earlier on time shift. It's about to start when I get the ending of TAR again -- I saw it all on another channel that is Canadian. Soooooooooooooo, it finally stars and I'm a happy camper. Gets to be 10 pm and Alicia has just told Carey she's been offered the single partnership and that she's going to accept it when BANG! my Canadian channel for another show takes over and I don't get to see the ending. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa for me.

Now I am off and hoping that global television has it somewhere cause every time I try to watch it online via CBS, it's geo blocked. If anyone knows of another means by which I can see those final minutes, it would be greatly appreciated.

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I know the practice is in financial dire straits but somehow I would love to see Elsbeth and Amanda Peet's character (cannot remember her name) join the firm. ( professordeb--you wanted to see the ending and not a spoiler? I put the ending in and then took it out. My apologies if you saw it.

6. professordeb

Cachoo -- it was nothing to do with what you posted. I was watching the actual episode last night on TV and that's when the stupid channels switched on me. I have now seen the ending and quite frankly, I was not really impessed with how the episode ended. It felt like a let down after the rest of the program. JMO, of course, but sheesh, after having to re-watch the last "10" minutes on the internet along with about 5 minutes of commercials I was looking for something a little -- stronger? as an ending. Oh well, at least now I've seen it. Didn't get the previews, though. Guess I will have to wait til next week :D

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I love Elsbeth, but I don't want to see her join the firm. I want her to continue as a guest, because I think she'd annoy me on a daily basis.

I would have loved for Cary and Alicia to set up their own firm though...

8. genevieve

it was a *bit* too pat that the firm has been in such dire straits and then - zing! - they're in the money because they were so concerned about debt that they didn't notice they were raking in millions. I kinda wish Alicia had told Cary they were starting their own firm :shuffle:. I just hope this doesn't pit them against one another again, I've really enjoyed them becoming friends. Nice final scene with Alicia watching Cary and Kalinda talking about what was going on in the board room.

Elspeth is great - as a guest.

9. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Loved it up until that very uncomfortable kiss between Will and Alicia. Talk about zero chemistry. :yikes:

I thought JM killed it in the show last night - that courtroom mock trial was so much fun to watch. Diane and Will were just a bit too smug going in and then went down in flames. I know the 'client' from some other show, but not sure where. David Lee - never change you pompous jerk. Where did Matan go, btw? I've missed him for seasons.

Eli had a fun subplot going there. We got to see Alan really emote last night - that scene with Jordan was amazing, the look on his face when he realized 'his' candidate didn't need him was heartbreaking. And :cheer2: to Elspeth doing the wiretap AGAINST the feds! :rofl: That cheesy accordian music was the perfect touch. Kyle McLaughlan still can play smarmy well - that 'how about dinner?' line to Elspeth was icky and hysterically clueless at the same time.

So, if Alicia's a partner now, will she actually have an office without another person in it? And I could have sworn the buy-in was more than $200,000? Did they have a 'sale'? Or was that just a down payment?

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I really wanted that as well, but I have to agree with Alicia. You need major start-up money and they were trying hard just to get together money to become partners in Lockhart Gardner. Too much of a pipe dream and too much of a knee-jerk idea. But I did the love the idea!! :respec:

David says at the beginning of the episode that over the last month, a few big cases were settled, which had the firm out of debt. Not only that, but they were on track to be in the black to the tune of 133 million. Which makes me wonder...why would everyone do a turnaround on the offers to the five new potential partners? 133 million is not enough of a profit to share amongst some new people? Plus you have to know those five would-be partners will be pissed at you for pulling that offer out from out under their feet. Certainly not a way to build workplace morale... :confused:

I thought the ending symbolized a slow cooker being turned up a notch. Instead of the five would-be partners being united to bring about a satisfactory conlusion, now they are divided with Carey obviously peeved at Alicia. This seemed kind of out of character for Alicia...she should have at least talked to the other four and let them know her plans. And then her flustery bit she said to Carey about "making change". We just saw in the episode how smart and passionate she is...then all of a sudden she's mindless and unable to string a few sentences together? Plus joining the firm as a partner after David was such an ass to her, specifically saying they wanted her for her surname/family connection? :mad:

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

What I love about Eli is that his facial expressions are so readable that so much of the time I'm already laughing (when he's angry) before he opens his mouth.

12. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I don't like Alicia being a partner. I wish she had taken the others with her. :(
    I am still wishing she'd gone with Canning !!!

13. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It's not going to happen. She'll never permanently go with Canning because the actor has other obligations and isn't going to come on to the show full time. In fact, with his own series starting soon, I doubt we'll see much of him at all, and I'm okay with that. Apart from it not going to happen, I really don't want it to!

Like Elsbeth and the other recurring characters, I think the value he adds is because he's not always there. He's a refreshing change and I enjoy his slimy ways from time to time but if he's in 2 consecutive episodes, I want to scream :wall: It's always the same thing with him; his character is showy but they haven't given him much depth. I'd much rather see depth in a character like Cary who we don't see enough of, then expand the cast unnecessarily.

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

New episode tonight, here's a clip from youtube: Death Of A Client. Guest stars include Stockard Channing, Amanda Peet, Matthew Perry and Chris Noth.

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Can't wait! :watch: It's so much better since they got rid of Mr. Kalinda.

Love how Cary's becoming a bit more ambiguous too. Can anyone explain why Alicia and Cary still share an office? You'd think a partner would at least get a cubicle divider up there. :p Unless Diane and Will are punishing the 2 rebellious kids?

16. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

How long did basketball run tonight? It is after 9:30pm and still no Good Wife?

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

No basketball at all, just one hour of the best television EVER. Oh wait, do you live on the wrong coast?? :p My highlight tonight was the presence of the sublime Christina Baranski. I LOVE HER!!! She looked so wonderful to, I was reminded of her time with Gary Cole. Then I thought, "they REALLY need to get her a love interest". She deserves it. :D

kosjenka and (deleted member) like this.
  18. genevieve

I don't want Diane to leave the firm and become a judge.....although hilarity may ensue when the reps of Gardner & Associates some before her (ok, I can't remember, did Diane give Peter her answer? I thought it got lost in all the murder stuff).

Hmmm... giving fans both a dose of the Alicia/Will hotness and staying true to Alicia reconciling with Peter, by way of a convenient flashback episode. Great convo in the present between Alicia and Will. Nice touch having Amanda Peet show up with a severe bang reminiscent of the style Alicia had in flashback.

19. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Yes I do! But this episode was definitely worth waiting for. This show holds my attention unlike any other. How many seasons has it been? It is still must-see-TV for me!

20. genevieve

I think this is season 4?

21. kosjenka

Oh I LOVED this episode!

having flash backs from Alicia and Will was just heaven!
    And I would be happy for DIane, but I do not want her to leave the firm to Will and other munchkins. Without her they are lost. She held she ship while Will was sitting out and David Lee is not named partner material. They better not go with Alicia being named partner. In my opinion - she becoming partner at all is weird since she has poor leadership skills in such mayhem. She has other qualities. Her running a firm with Cary would have been an interesting twist.

And in promo for next episode - my favorite wife killer is back. I love how he pushes Alicia.

22. professordeb

Thanks for the link to the promo since I was watching it on a Canadian channel in it's regular time slot (thank you Global television) but they didn't show the promo. The only strange thing about the promo -- it loops :D

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Have to say I almost bust a gut laughing at the thought of Diane writing Vampire Diaries fanfiction. :rofl:

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So good to see an episode that was pretty much about Diane. And I always love seeing Gary Cole. But then to see Diane going for love instead of career. It made me all warm and mushy inside. :D

I was almost hoping it was going to be her!! :lol:

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Me too! That would have been priceless.

26. kosjenka

Do you think Diane went for marriage in the end to scare him away?

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Last night was the first episode where I really wanted to slap St. Alicia. She's yanking the chains of both Will and Peter. Pick one, and stop neutering both. Ugh!

28. kosjenka

I hope Alicia gets to have the both :D

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I think (or maybe hoping) that she wants marriage and realized she put it in off the past for career and now she won't do that anymore??
    That look on her face - made me think she was thinking over her life and past misses??

30. kosjenka

I got a feeling that she told hims she does not want to wait to scare him away, since he did not respond at first and later told they should wait.