The Good Wife - Season Four

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 30, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The Good Wife returns tonight! :cheer2:

Here's a sneak peak trailer I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LaJNaompI8

And an episode summary from epguides.com/tvrage.com:

Will's latest case – which could net the firm millions – hangs in the balance as Alicia navigates Louis Canning’s attempts to delay a deposition crucial to Will’s argument. Meanwhile, Will and Diane make a stand against Clarke, and an old foe complicates things for Eli.

2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

(((Nathan Lane))) :fragile:

3. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

So Canning via some consortium he must own took over Lockhart Gardner's debt?! :D Love this.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Nathan was fabulous last night. And I floved Matt's acting as he gave up Clark's secret and went to the dark side of his bosses.

Welcome back Wendy Scott Carr. I missed your smirk. Now I can't wait for Diane to find a way to cut you off at the knees.

Hello, Mrs. Canning. Did you know your husband is a weasel? :D Looking forward to more of Michael J. Fox in the role.

Speaking of Canning - he still has Martha working for him - guess she lucked out by losing the LG job? And I love touches like that in this show - they do it so well.

Alicia and Kalinda in the hotel room. I guess the Kings are trying to make up for Nick and turn her into super Kalinda again? She shows up and magically discovers the secret of the banker? :wall:

And finally, Alicia. Our old Alicia would have known the name of the court reporter or at least thought to ask. But, she also would have fallen for the 'dying friend' ploy or missed the appointment.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm willing to cut the show some slack with this one. Alicia's job is to work within the law and do her lawyer-y stuff. :D Plus how/why would she suspect the bank head was dealing with a serious disease? It was right up Kalinda's alley to look into anything and everything which is not specifically law-related...looking for the needles in the haystack if you will - which when found could be used to pop some balloons! :respec:

I thought that was really interesting. "My name is Micah." It kind of made Alicia look bad. Maybe that was to show that Alicia was so focussed on the big task that she was unaware of other things around her? I'm wondering if this is showing that Alicia will become more tough (as well as sometimes insenstive?) in the future?

6. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Michael J. Fox has his own sitcom coming up for next year, so I wonder how this story line with Canning owning the firm.

7. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I imagine they'll somehow pay off the debt and he'll go back to appearing sporadically. I hope so, anyway - I want him to stay on!

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Elsbeth! (Elspeth?) Great to see her!

9. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And I totally missed this episode. Le sigh ... drats!!!

10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

CBS finally put their shows On Demand on tv which I like better than trying to catch it online. I think this episode reminds me of why I love it: Don't get me wrong--I love men but I love a show that features loads of strong female characters and "The Good Wife" has lots of them.

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Love Elsbeth! (even if most of the Americans on the show have some weird, over-emphasized pronounciation of her name) And it looks like we'll be seeing more of her in the future if she takes on Eli as a client. That could be a whole lotta fun! :cheer:

The expression on Eli's face when Alicia came out of the trailer ... priceless. (But Alicia and Peter now only have sex standing up? LOL)

I don't mind the occassional Canning appearance, but I only like his character in small doses. So I really hope that particular storyline is over and done with very quickly.

BTW, George! :cheer: (Yeah, I know his real name is TR Knight and his role on TGW is Jordan ... but he'll always be George to me.) They haven't done much with his character so far but I'm hoping there will be good things to come.

The athletics tribunal was pretty funny. Seeing Will out of his element, Diane's French, the guys on the panel admiring Kalinda's, um, assets ... and of course it finally coming down to international rivalry (hmm, skating fans have no idea what that might be about!). All very entertaining.

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yes! A judge from a certain country accused of cheating: Where have we heard that before?!! ;)

13. professordeb

Just watched this online. Really enjoyed it. Hmmm ... sports and doping and courts. Yummy!

14. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Love Elsbeth! :cheer2:

15. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Another great night of The Good Wife1

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

17. professordeb

Got to watch it early here as though I lived on the eastern seaboard. LOVED IT!!!

and that's all I got to say about that
    (at least for now :D)

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

At the very end of tonight's episode how did you intrepet Diane's stare? Or was it meaningless?

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Not sure. Part of me wonders if Alicia is not going to accept the partnership - that is how she is not going to disappoint. But this is a tv show and Lockhart & Gardner are still going to be there, so Alicia will accept. But is Diane doubting??? Or will Alicia not accept, take job with Canning, and then Canning gobbles up L & G, so all actors still have their jobs??? I love this show, but there is no way all the folks at L & G won't be on the show, so I don't take the fall of L & G too seriously.
    Make sense???

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow, intense episode! Did anyone think it a little too out of character for Diane to become the (semi)-evil schoolmarm at the end of the episode?

I think Diane what was thinking, "what is going on?" Alicia was performing exactly like Diane requested...like a trained pet. I am thinking that maybe Alicia is seriously considering Canning's offer and is simply doing as told (ordered) until she makes a move.

I'm not sure Alicia will accept partnership or stay with Lockhart Gardner. Some TV shows shake it up a few years into their run to keep things interesting. We could have two shows in one, the regulars at Lockhart Garder and then Alicia with Canning's firm. Glee is doing that with the regular show and then Curt and Rachel in New York. Chris Noth is a recurring character on this show, so maybe Will and Diane will become recurring characters as well?? Just as long as Kalinda moves with Alicia and is in every single episode!! :D

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Will and Diane are every bit a part of this show as Alicia, Kalinda and (now) Eli! Cannot imagine the show without them.

I just had to get caught up online, and unfortunately the cbs site often has video problems. I only had sound for about 2/3 of the Oly doping ep. The most recent one was fine until the last couple of minutes. What did Canning give Alicia? Sounds like a job offer (again), but did we see what?

22. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I so wish Alicia goes with Canning who then buys L&G ! It would just be fantastic :)

23. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

It was his business card.

24. professordeb

and all that one could associate by the giving of it. I think he saw the look on Alicia's face when she answered about not know that there were 5 who were offered partnership and then her answer basically why she should be deserving of the offer -- with thousands of billable hours, etc etc etc and they she walks out of the courtroom without acknowledging either Diane or Will. Perhaps he's guessing that there is a bit of a crack in Alicia's relationship with L&G so thought to perhaps try enticing her again. Methinks she just might give it a bit more thought with what went down not only in the court scene but also in the "celebration" and Diane's chat with her. she's told to basically stop sulking, suck it up and act like an adult.

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

HAsn't Canning offered her a job before? He knows her value - especially because hiring her would mean he wouldn't have to face her in court :p

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I do have to admit that I did think Alicia was pouting and didn't like it. Even if it was financially motivated Will and Diane et al are not going to invite anyone in who they think will weaken the law firm. It's a big firm and Alicia was one of a handful asked in---I would have run through that door.

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Just caught up last night. I agree Alicia was pouting -- I think she did deserve a bit of a sulk, but she's had that now and she should take the partnership and move on. Going with Canning would be a very bad idea: Alicia is at her best when she believes in the cause she'd defending, and she can't do that in a law firm whose primary clients are big pharma and corporate polluters. I'm ok with the occasional Canning storyline, but please not a continuning story arc. I just can't stand that much of his character -- I have a low tolerance for people who use charm and exploit their disability to get their way.

Diane's look a the very end was I think partly wtf and partly "oh, I wish we'd been more forthcoming with Alicia." Like her and Will's guilty looks in court. I do think they had some sincere regrets there, and it wasn't just a matter of getting "caught."

I am glad things ended on a good note with Hayden. Now there's a character I'd like to see come back!

The religion-in-politics storyling seemed a bit crammed in there. But perhaps there will be more in the future.

But now we have to wait til Feb 17 for the next episode. :(

28. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

After Diane told Alicia the real reason why she received her own partnership offer from Stern, I took Diane's look to be a flashback 'that was me XX years ago, putting on my big girl pants and dealing with it'.

I don't think I'd buy into a firm that deeply in trouble. But, then again, 4th years don't get equity partner offers.

I loved Carey and Hayden's scene at the elevator.

And I love the wicked Alicia coming out to play this year. "I'm an atheist" had me :rofl: and her pre snark at Maddie was hysterical. That run back to the store with the bags after she heard how much the 'partnership offer' would cost her - just great to see JM's comedic timing.

29. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I still want Alicia to join Canning, so that he can become part of L&G. Please please please ! :)

30. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Michael J Fox has his own series starting soon so even if Canning were to take over the firm, it'd be a fairly temporary measure.

I like Canning in small doses. I don't want to see him every week. He really, really grates on my nerves when he's on screen too much. I'd love him to still guest star though!