The Good Wife ~ Season 5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Sep 30, 2013.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

whee! :D
    ok, Alicia is still determined to leave (right now, at least), but kudos to Will for trying.

This ep, I really noticed some key icon photos in the background....in the scene where Unrealistically Sultry Ethics Bot was all but batting her lashes about Dan Brown, there was one shot of Peter with a framed photo of JFK behind him :lol: Later, when Will and Diane were having their showdown, Diane was framed with a pic of Hillary Clinton behind her. Well played, art directors.

The Grace storyline is awful. When she dresses up everyone is goggling at her, and I barely see any difference in her day to day. The "I just want to be pretty" was :rolleyes: She's 16, not 12 :wall: This character has always been problematic, she's still annoying. Zach and his big bro surliness is somewhat amusing, though.

Oh, Robin....so clueless. Kalinda :fragile:

So, will the rest of the 4th years go along with the early departure NOW? When they're even closer to their bonuses than they were before?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

:cheer: Elsbeth Tascioni (Emmy winner Carrie Preston) is back in tonight's episode!

3. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I cannot wait for next week's episode.

4. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I can't wait...but I'm scared to watch it. It's got me frazzled! :lol:

5. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Christine Baranski - I present your Emmy reel for this season. That look she gave Alicia - total shivers down my spine! It was level 10 scary Babs!! :lol:

I have the feeling Alicia is regretting going in with the 4th years. She's fine with Cary, but those others are really slimy and annoying. :scream: I can't see her lasting long with them.

Could have done without the Jackie subplot. Guess her personal assistant is gone? Or is he just at her home counting his stacks of cash?

COTW was really annoying. Kalinda saves the day? Again? But, we got Carrie Preston at her finest, so :cheer2:

I want Diane's wardrobe. But not her life. Can't see Kurt sticking around. He's a novelty now, but the lack of common interests will probably do them in. Loved the look of horror on her friend's faces when they saw the Palin book. Props to the writers/set people for having it there - I remember the scene when Kurt gave it to her.

6. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Love Christine Baranski! Egad, she's so talented! She was also hilarious on Big Bang as Leonard's mother. Here she is brilliant and can convey so much just with a look. Is it any wonder that we're all glued to this show! And David Lee with all his deadpan lines is so delightfully slimy... And it was wonderful to see Elsbeth!

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What other TV shows have basically thrown a bomb into the middle of the plot and blasted out everybody all over the place? Not only will the three leads be separated, I'm wondering if any of them will ever be friends again?? Possibly Will if his firm survives and does well...in time he could forgive Diane. I think Diane told Will what he know about Alicia because while Diane is on the way out, she knows Alicia was betraying Diane while Diane was still part of her firm. Wonder if Alicia will ever find out that Diane was the one who let the cat out of the bag? She should guess that from the Fusar-Poli stare from Diane. Good of Alicia to just get out of there rather than ask, "what's wrong"?

I know the client who let the cat out of the bag to Diane needed to do so to move the plot forward, but wouldn't clients know to keep their mouths shut until they are with the new firm they are moving to? Slight plot flaw there in my opinion, but necessary to give us some amazing drama!

8. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Is it me, or is Kalinda still the most mysterious person ever? How is it that we've gotten thru 4 complete seasons and still know very little about her. The irony of that...her being an investigator and all. I want learn more about her.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Well, the writers tried to tell us more about Kalinda with the ex-husband plot and they failed miserably. I'd rather keep Kalinda mysterious and have her revealed to us sporadically, slowly and a little at a time.

10. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

%I loved the ex husband !:

11. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I forget the details from last season involving the ballot box stuffing, and what Will has kept quiet regarding Peter's election win. With Alicia's impending exit, that could rear it's ugly head if Will is in the mood for revenge. I don't recall if Alicia was in the loop on the ballot stuff.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tonight's the night!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...eb5ab4-3b4c-11e3-a94f-b58017bfee6c_story.html

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Intense opening!

14. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

That episode had so many O.M.G. moments I wasn't sure which way things were going to go. Nice to see Peter "step in" and help his wife without threatening anyone -- directly.
    And Diane -- hmmmmm, what is going to become of her and the judgeship. Personally, Peter looking for someone else makes sense in a number of respects and considering the firm has been called Lockhart and Gardner from the beginning, it makes "logical" sense to me that Diane would return.

15. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I was surprised to find myself actively rooting against Alicia. So it really doesn't bode well for me for the rest of the season if I'm already royally pissed because ChumHum ended up going with Florrick/Agos. I wanted Will and Diane to kick Alicia's ass and that's just not going to happen. The show's about her, after all.

reese and (deleted member) like this.
  16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I can't begin to count the number of times my mouth dropped open during the show. Just a slam dunk, grand slam, Super Bowl winning hour of tv. Probably one of the best tightly written episodes of the series. :respec:

Kalinda double dealing Cary - classic. Diane trying to keep her judgeship - knew it was going up in flames as soon as security grabbed Alicia's arms and took her on the walk of shame. Chumhum - that guy will just twist both firms around him and then probably drop them both for Rita Wilson again. :lol: Random redhead getting Alicia's old job - awesome. David Lee getting to chew more scenery. And Peter FINALLY being The Good Husband.

:rofl: at Will and Alicia sniping at each other on the phone and then him going 'oh, and your daughter called'. Priceless.

Previews look insane. Nathan Lane is back! :cheer2: And Alicia's brother. And it looks like someone puts a camera in clueless Grace's room? That should make mom and dad and protective older brother go scorched earth.

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

One of the best hours of television I've ever seen. Breathtaking storytelling.

So many wonderful lines! As someone who tires of the Saint Alicia crap, I enjoyed Will telling her that's she kind of awful and doesn't even know it.

I loved the subtle hints of future discontent at the new firm-- new Cary hitting on Grace, the associates ordering fancy coffees right as they are fighting for their lives...

Also, Peter is the worst.

18. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Tonight's episode was an hour of guilty pleasure. It was one turn after another. A great way to end the weekend.

19. genevieve

wow. I missed last week's ep but didn't want to wait to catch up to see this one. What a headspinner! Tsk, lawyers - they're all cranking so fast to out maneuver each other :lol:
    Really deft portrayals of Alicia and Cary being (mostly) on top of it, with Other Cary (?) giving the heads up as RealCary walked in. Of course, Cary is blind when it comes to Kalinda, sigh. And Robin - well, she's Robin :lol: Alicia and Peter quickie was hott :grope: But then we see Peter is being the NOT Good Husband at all, and is completely going back on his "most ethical office" promise before he's even sworn in. I suppose this means we'll have to see more of Hot Ethics Lady :blah: I did enjoy seeing Eli squirming.

The phone call between Will and Alicia was amazing - as was the one between Will and Peter. And Diane....she just has to stay on this show, because Christine Baranski is killing it.

Clueless fourth years :wall:
    Dopey Grace :wall: :wall:

20. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I thought I was the only one who is sick of the spoiled, selfish, sleazy Florricks always winning.

21. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Personally, I hope Peter ends up in a world of trouble for his loose interpretation of the "most ethical administration in history". He's already using the power of the governorship for personal gain and he hasn't been sworn in, yet. I hope it comes back to bite him. Hard.

22. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Brilliant! Brilliant! Love all of this! And which side is Kalinda REALLY on? Or is she just playing it as it happens?

23. genevieve

oh, I'm pretty sure this is all a set up for a fall.

I am liking that we are seeing the darker side, not just of Peter but of Alicia. Before she became "The Good Wife", she was a pampered political spouse. We've seen her struggling with how to move forward, and now that she has chosen to go back to peter, it somewhat makes sense that she'd also embrace the cutthroat ways that being a political power couple entails. I, for one, can't wait to see Alicia and Will face off in court.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The only thing different I've seen in Alicia is the rather sudden realization she has that after trying to impress everyone from the beginning of time, she's learned enough about the weak points and strategies of everyone in her old firm and can use this, whereas in the past, she's used the knowledge almost instinctively to protect them from themselves. She can recognize their footprints quite easily. She's been like a sponge.

For her, the personal part about leaving was to get away from Will professionally, but Will is the one who's taking it personally as if he's entitled to her perpetual loyalty and indebtedness. She proved herself many times over, and with her political connections -- even when once indicted, always invited -- hiring her was hardly an act of charity: it was a risk that paid off. Add in the hypocricy of being holier-than-thou when they started LG the same way.

I don't get the St. Alicia thing, either, apart from when she protects her children. She's not exactly working to save puppies: she works for a cut throat law firm that enforces the power structure. When Neil Gross is your prized client, and a drug dealer is among your most ethical ones... If everything falls apart, what has she to lose really, except Peter's money she invested in the partnership? She's no worse off psychologically than people without her safety net, as if no one would hire her hoping that her political connections would help them, while the rest of the fourth years could be crushed professionally and financially. The safety net allowed her to let the fourth years delay the move to collect bonuses, when she could have said "Now, or I'm out."

As far as landing Chum Hum and basing a firm on that promise, it shows Cary Agos' foolishness. He's played as a middle-class guy who's made good to an extent, but is out of his league -- he never seems to know where the real power is. Matt Czuchry plays him as much on that fine line as Archie Panjabi plays with Kalinda.

Diane was between a rock and a hard place in voting to oust Alicia -- I don't see what her choice would be in terms of fiduciary responsibility to the firm -- but she already was willing to jeopardize her judgeship when she married. Why Diane would ever trust Will again is beyond me.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Just watched my tape of the recent episode...what a roller-coaster ride!! :eek: Sooooooooooooooo many twists, turns and maneuvers...EXCITING!! :skandal

I can't wait to see what happens during the rest of this season. :watch:

26. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I really like the teaser where we can see snippets of the rest of the season, and not just of the next episode!

27. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just to address these two things: of course Will took it personally. Three weeks ago they were making out and saying that they were going to have "the talk". Her response was to start her own firm and try to steal their clients. For Cary, it was business. For Alicia, not so much.

As far as Diane trusting Will again, I think it's mutual. Diane sold him out for personal ambition but had the backbone to go tell him to his face and then give him a heads up about Alicia leaving. I think that relationship is very much reparable.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Right, it was okay for him and Diane to start Lockhart Gardner by doing the same thing. It sounds like a double-standard to me.

I don't understand how Diane sold him out: what he did and his suspension was on the public record, wasn't it? I didn't understand why she wasn't supposed to talk about it.

29. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

It's different because of the personal relationship Alicia had with Will. Cary called Diane on the double standard and I agree with him. But with Alicia and Will, it's different. Especially considering the timing.

Since we don't exactly know what Diane said in the interview, we can only go by her actions. She tried to protect Will and refused to answer Mandy Post's questions about him. She even tried to not do the interview. It was a big plot point since last season, how the Chief Justice wanted her to disavow Will. And when she finally did the interview, the first thing she did was tell Will about what she had done. So yes, she sold him out and chose her judgeship over Will. That's the way it was presented in the show. I'm kind of :confused: about your take on the whole thing.

30. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member