The Good Wife ~ Season 5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Wow! Tight writing continues. This show is brilliant!

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love this show. Great writing, compelling storylines. Really enjoyed the episode.

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

What I've always loved about this show is that it is unpredictable and surprising; and that the characters are neither black nor white, but lovely shades of grey.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Are we buying that so many fourth-year associates didn't know it was a bad idea to use their company phones to steal clients from their soon-to-be ex-bosses? Kalinda did an amazing job at being impartial...and vague when necessary (aka David). But I'm totally with Alicia, they need to get out of their quick. Even if the bigwigs weren't on to them (which they ARE), they're just sitting on a timebomb. Not only in regards to being found out, but leading on clients who could turn on them and make their new firm crumble before it even starts.

Question about the client in tonight's episode. Where did the end leave him? Off death row, but serving life in prison? Or are we to assume that he'll be in prison only temporarily and with the new information, his lawyers will get him off scott-free in time. He'd be due a major amount of cash in a wrongful imprisonment suit, right? Could he also sue for all the pain and suffering they put an innocent man through? Any idea how much money someone would get in this kind of case??

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering why Alicia wants to leave the firm and go with the 4th years. Is she hoping to rekindle her affair with Will since he would no longer be her boss? I kind of think maybe because of what she uttered under her breath near the end of the episode about hoping Will won't hate/dislike (whatever the word was) her after. Or will she still be "the good wife" and now first lady? Perhaps she's hoping to hold down both positions and have both men at her beck and call? Really not sure where they are going on this particular arc. Thoughts?

7. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I don't think she's doing everything with a view to men in her life. She has drive, ambition and a brain she wants to use. Almost all other series portray women in relation to men and I find them boring. Margulies said she was so grateful that it was Carey at the door and not Will when she read the script. I love this show for showing all facets of the female experience. Who knows where it's all going. That's what makes it gripping tv.

8. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Actually, that part of the story made little sense to me. Such phone calls shouldn't look suspicious here. A sophisticated client is unlikely to leave an experienced partner to go with a fourth-year associate. If they did, it would only be because they had worked closely with a particular associate and developed a good working relationship with them as a result of working with them a lot. As a result, an associate almost certainly would have placed many phone calls to the client as part of their work. It shouldn't look suspicious. But, this is a tv show, not reality. In reality, junior and mid-level associates in a firm like this generally aren't given the kind of responsibility the attorneys on this show have and aren't even considered for partnership, especially in this economy.

9. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

10. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Actually, the writers gave an interview after season 4 stating that Alicia's choice to leave the firm is also her walking away from Will. She's made the decision to stay with Peter and leaving the firm is her way of both leaving and staying away from Will. So while it would be nice to think that this decision had nothing to do with the men in her life, and while this episode showed that it is something she's always wanted to do, the men in her life were the catalyst.

I'll try to find the interview...it was on tvline a while back...

ETA - Found it!

The salient part is:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

And yet ... I seem to recall reading somewhere (here maybe?) that Alicia might leave the firm so that she would feel more comfortable being Will once he was no longer her boss. Dang if I can remember where I read that interpretation.

Going to be a great season again, methinks! and looking forward to it. I really hope Alicia stays with hubby -- first wife AND having her own business. Lots of power for her to possibly wield :D

12. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite. I wish she'd leave Peter! Not saying she should be with Will, but Peter irks me and I'm willing to bet his electoral transgressions will come to light and he'll be the 5th governor in 8 years to go to prison...or at least regret firing their ethics commissioner ;)

The idea that Alicia would be more comfortable with Will when he's no longer her boss has a lot of merit, and I thought it at first when I saw the finale too...but then I read that interview with the writers and realised it wasn't what they intended, so I'm taking their word for it since they should be in the know :lol:

Emphasis on should :shuffle:

13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Finally watched it. LOVED the whole thing. COTW was pretty good. I'm guessing Peter stayed the execution? Wonder how that will play out in the 'no conflicts with the wife' law firm' thing? Melissa George from Alias's 3rd season was the man trap ethics person. Glad she's now working at transit. :rofl: @ Alan Cummings in that scene.

That telecommuting robot brought some levity to a tense show.

I'd rather not see Alicia leave with Cary's team. They seem to be a bunch of whining brats (and that one who made the snide comment about Will needs to be the first one booted). Plus, the $$$ she put up for the partnership, doesn't she lose that when leaving?

So, this year's 'Florrick children' subplot will revolve around Grace discovering makeup and short skirts? :wall: I liked her better when she was lost.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Allskate

It makes no sense to me that Alicia's response to realizing that Peter's campaign was involved in voter fraud would be to break away from Will in order to commit to her marriage with Peter.

I'd like Alicia to say goodbye to both Will and Peter.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Alicia + Kalinda 4evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Does Alicia know that? I missed a key episode last season. Can you recap? :)

17. Allskate

Maybe I misunderstood, but that's how I interpreted that scene from the victory party in the season finale. I interpreted Alicia's reaction to be that she realized that the campaign had cheated and then she abruptly left the party and went back to her apartment.

I'm hoping that she find out that Will knew that Peter had cheated and didn't tell her and that she just tells both Will and Peter to get out of her life.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I didn't see that episode...but I'm inclined to agree with the Will/Peter thing. Maybe that will be the series finale...

19. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I didn't take the two events to be connected -- at least not in an A leads to B kind of way re: Will vs Peter. I took it more as a "something has to change, I have to do something" realization.

And after all, iirc, weren't we led to believe that Eli orchestrated the cheat ... but Peter didn't know anything about it?

I liked the new & improved Peter in the last season, and I'm glad they showed Peter being genuinely glad for Alicia. But almost as important, I'm glad they used the opportunity to throw in the "you've wanted your own firm since law school" bit of info -- that to me nails the point that Alicia is doing this for herself and not because of Will and/or Peter.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It would have been more convincing if the data had shown at there was an unusual pattern with their phone calls or the time of their calls didn't match their billing sheets, because I'd expect them to be calling their clients regularly.

What I found ridiculous is that they were practically running around giving each other the secret handshake and weren't remotely subtle about it, and they suddenly realized their departure date wasn't conducive to their bonuses being paid, without any indication that the date was moved out?

The fourth years are such amateurs.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

:lol: at the NSA geeks, they were totally getting into Alicia's life. :watch:

22. Artemis@BC

^ Yes! That was simultaneously terrifying and hilarious.

And :cheer: for the return of 2 of my favourite guest stars, Stockard Channing and Jeffrey Tambor.

Not thrilled about them still hanging on at Lockhart-Gardner, though. I'm very much suspecting that things will get to the point that Alicia doesn't actually leave ...

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Did anybody else feel that a lot of last night's episode was over their head? I had to really focus on some of the court proceedings, it was so specific and detailed I thought they were writing for a lawyer alumni association or something. I'm sure a lot happened that I just couldn't understand, I just had to go with it...

So the interview concluded as Eli called to say Diane did not have to do it. From the previews it looks like Diane is out of her own firm. So that can happen to someone whose name comes first in the company name? :( So will Diane focus on the supreme court justice job...or is there any possibility she might jump ship with Florrick Argos and company???

I was mildly amazed last night to think about how this was the same women lighting up the silver screen in Grease....35 years ago? That makes me sound old!! :lol:

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Oh, jeez, like watching Alicia suddenly juggle cell phones isn't going to make David Lee even more suspicious.

25. Artemis@BC

I didn't see the previews, but if I were mapping this out I'd be more likely to see Will jumping ship. If Diane leaves the firm and goes to the supreme court, the rest of the firm can choose whether or not to keep her name on the letterhead. (My guess is they'd be more likely to keep it because of the cachet of being associated with a judge.) But that would still leave a power vacuum. The most obvious to fill that vacuum would be David ... and David and Will together is not a good combo. Esp. if he starts stirring up the rest of the partners as he's inclined to do. So that could lead to Will leaving, and of course then the obvious place for him to go would be to Florrick-Agos. BUT I can't see all the 4th-yrs being happy about that, since the Will-Diane leadership is their main reason for leaving.

I still think the most likely scenario is something happening to keep Alicia from leaving.

If Diane does get the judgeship, I really hope we don't lose her from the show. It would be just too unbelievable to have supreme course cases all of a sudden appearing in the storylines -- not to mention the conflict of interest issues.

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Gardner-Florrick, anyone? :saint: That would stir things up in so many different ways :EVILLE:

We simply cannot lose Diane as a regular character on the show :drama:

27. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

Just caught up on Sunday's (10/13) episode. Funniest: Peter pushing Alicia for Hawaii vow renewal because he's attracted to Ethics gal. Loving all the many layers to the drama with Alicia at work. WHEEEE! Love this show.

28. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

So, is anyone else thinking that the 4th years leave and Diane comes back to save the firm? She'll discover being a judge isn't the dream she thought it would be. Plus losing that fabulous power wardrobe under a judge's robe is the biggest travesty since the Nick & Kalinda storyline. :p

Getting bored with the 'Grace is hot' subplot.

Hiss to Ethics bimbo coming back. Anyone who doesn't know Hemingway was better than Dan Brown needs to not be on my screen. ...Alias geek on... Alicia needs to call Sydney Bristow for a rundown on the real motives of Ethicsbot. ...Alias geek off...

Best line of the episode goes to David Lee "scorching the earth and poisoning the wells". It seemed to be the theme of the show.

29. Artemis@BC

IKWYM ... but Grace's one line -- "I just want to be pretty" -- said so much with so little. Nothing wrong with wanting to look your best, of course, but there was obviously so much more there. It makes me want to cry when I see teenage girls (and grown women) place so much of their self identity on looks.

And this show continues to break records for best guest star lineup. Janel Maloney and Christian Borle in the same episode? How great is that? :cheer:

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Each episode I feel there is no way that I could feel more awe towards the acting abilities of Baranski, but each week she proves me wrong. :respec:

So the guy from Smash can actually act? Who knew? :lol: