The Good Wife - Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Debbie S, Sep 26, 2011.

1. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I think Peter knows life won't go on the way it was. I think he knows it because he admitted to Zac that he'd slept with someone else. I think that was a sign of acceptance of the end of the marriage.

2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that Peter is really hoping for a complete reconciliation, but neither am I convinced that he's out to hurt Alicia. She's still the mother of his children. Plus it would harm him polictically. So I really don't know what to make of Peter right now.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

ohmygosh...I loooooooooooooooved tonight's episode!

:respec: :respec: :respec:

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was pretty good. Loved how our newbie to the firm put 2 and 2 together to get 4, then presents it to a partner instead of Alicia cause Alicia wasn't around.
    Methinks Diane is putting the pieces together of Will/Alicia combo. Should be interesting to see what she does with it.
    One might almost believe Alicia would want to learn from Elsbeth Tascioni. That could be fun but somehow I don't think that particular arc will be taking place.

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

It took me awhile to "recognize" Elsbeth. I hope we see her again (as well as on True Blood.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Bostonfan

I love that Elsbeth shouted for her assistant named Fantasia :) A nod to True Blood's vamp bar?

The Good Wife loves to present quirky judges and lawyers, but Elsbeth is definitely a favorite of mine. Kudos to Alicia for not going with the firm's choice for an attorney.

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I totally lost it with the 'sexual harrassment' training film. That cheesy music with the bad acting - classic! :rofl:

Will shot himself in the foot by confronting Peter. Though I have no clue how Cary doesn't have a 'conflict of interest' investigating the man who fired him. :rolleyes: Unless, that choice was deliberate by Peter to help out Will? I'm still struggling with what Peter really knows...

Grace played mom & dad perfectly with the 'bible study' thing. Wonder if the 'study' group came from dancingtutor?

:cheer2: to Elsbeth helping Alicia deal with cupcake guy.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Loved tonight's episode! The death row inmate was repulsive. Eli's daughter is :rofl: And Peter's mother is the mother-in-law from hell :rolleyes:

Next week looks very intense.

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I thought the politician story line was weak, especially when he claimed to be an alcoholic at the end. Interesting, though, that he'll be running against Eli's ex.

Also interesting that Cary walked away from Kalinda.

10. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

But it's completely true to form for most politicians. Whenever one gets caught doing something, it's only a matter of time before the excuse comes out.

But...fellating Santa?!? :rofl:

I so wanted Alicia to come home while Grandma was rifling through her lingerie :EVILLE: but the kids are back to being complete idiots. WHY do they not know to not let Grandma in the house? Or at least to watch her like a hawk while she's there? I thought the original plan was for the kids to go to Peter's. If Jackie had to go in his stead, why wouldn't she have taken them to peter's instead of camping out there?

11. professordeb

I too found it interesting that Carey left Kalina. There were a couple of reasons that I can think of for this behavior.

Had to laugh about m-i-l snooping in Alicia's laundry. That is sooooo not my family but does seem to be about par for her. Thinking she has some suspicions about her daughter-in-law?

Alicia - she seems to be enjoying herself and toying with Will about "should they or shouldn't they" since at least one other partner seems clued in about what's happening.

Did I misunderstand the previews or did ??? (lost the name of the female partner) seemingly accuse Will of him having something going on with Alicia? She seemed like she was ticked off about it - and rightly so. I am soooo looking forward to these two getting caught cause I've had enough of them - OK, let me amend that. I'm weary of them sneaking around. Get it out in the open and deal with the flack.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Was it just me, or were the scenes between Dana and Kalinda hooooooot???

Great to see Leslie Uggams on our screen (as the inmate's mother). According to imdb.com, this is only her third role of the 2000's. :respec:

Kalinda's character is so interesting, but sometimes frustrating as well. I'm never really sure where she's coming from. When is she genuine, and when is she playing somebody? Does she go home sometimes and cry? Or go home, pour a glass of wine and say, "oh well..." I just don't know... :shuffle: Cary's line about Kalinda was one-of-a-kind: "A lot of people weren't anything until they met Kalinda."

His character confused me. He helped prosecutors with a case, then gave Alicia the name of the murderer even though he might get nothing in return for that info. His family all look perfect and when they show up, he turns evil. I was thinking the pastor maybe sexually abused him and his family looked the other way. But we never found out why he was so helpful to all the lawyers, but hateful to his family... :confused:

I dislike that character so much. And want the actress to get an Emmy for that!! :lol:

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I thought the same thing! Especially after they said he was part of a program for young kids organized by the pastor/church.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Yes, Diane flat out told Will to stop sleeping with Alicia. Will is being investigated, which has been known for several eps, and this ep we saw Diane dealing more with that. She was already suspecting that something is up with Will/Alicia (from 2 eps ago when she made everyone watch the anti-harrassment film), clearly she either finds out more of she takes a stab at it and gets it right.

15. Bostonfan

Jackie not being able to turn on the laptop had me in stitches!

16. Allskate

Yeah, but this wasn't Weiner-like. He had, er, sucked up to Santa when he was in college. How would current alcohol problems explain what he did fifteen years ago? That's what didn't make sense to me. Now, if Anthony Weiner had said he was tweeting while under the influence, that might have worked!

Yeah, it can be frustrating, but fun. First I was wondering if Kalinda really wanted to help Will when she told him to ask her for help. Was it to make amends with Alicia in some ways? Or did she have some other goal? Then I was wondering if the reason she was kissing Cary was to help Will of if she had some other agenda -- like making sure that Dana did not get together with Cary.

I found it confusing too.

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Archie Panjabi's English accent was coming out tonight. Did that always happen? :confused: It was distracting

I really can't stand Peter's Mother. She reminds me of someone stuck in a 'Leave it to Beaver' 1950s America timewarp.

18. Allskate

I loved tonight's episode. Dana going to Cary after doing shots with Kalinda? Awesome. I hope Kalinda plays them right back. I wonder if Kalinda is going to let Will know what happened with her and Peter. It would give Will some ammunition. Peter doesn't want that getting out. But the special prosecutor and Cary sure are going to complicated things because they both want vengeance.

The son is pissed at Peter and I think he's going to play a big role in the custody and grandmother issue, and probably in a very fun way. I don't know what he's doing with the computers, but he's got something up his sleeve.

19. professordeb

I almost laughed when Diane told Will to quit sleeping with Alicia. Hmmmm, whatever will he do?

I also found interesting Alicia's body language after seeing her MIL checking out her laptop. When she (Alicia) and Will were in the court after these two events, it seemed to me they were kinda keeping a bit of distance from each other. I can only hope ;)
    So ... now that Will has been told by his partner to lay off on Alicia - will he or won't he? Diane is one very clever woman who put two and two together and got the correct answer of Will banging Alicia and Peter not liking it.

Loved the son busy working away on his computer and then mom pops in to say "hey, let's go get you a car". Bet she hasn't seen him move that fast :) If I had done that to my son, his response would likely be "nawwww, save your money for something I'd really like, and maybe get something for yourself too". Of course, he doesn't have his G license, only his G2 and he's not really interested in driving much. Reminds me of myself :D

20. Bostonfan

The theme of this whole episode was summed up by the military judge: "The problem with the charge of scapegoating is it doesn’t acknowledge that at a certain point you have to hold people accountable" The writers don't usually drop such obvious anvils, but in this case it made for a thought-provoking close to the episode.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  21. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Loved how Alicia found out about Jackie's snooping and her prompt fix. Too funny. Zach was so cute getting the car. I really like Zach/the actor too and find his relationships with his parents very interesting. Grace is blah, but Zach just seems real. It will be cool to see how this all unfolds, all his knowledge about his parents, and his computer skills. I think it is cute for him to be friends with Eli's daughter.
    The whole Eli thing tonight was funny, but went on too long with the food pyramid. He is better in small doses.
    Diane - love her, a smart woman! Christine Baranski is just great, loved her ever since Cybil!

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Looks like a good episode tonight!

23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

It was a good episode, Martha is back and with Canning! And Caitlin is competent too.
    And Kalinda searching for Grace and stayiing quiet about it. I bet at some point Grace will say something. Good way to heal their rift.
    So will Peter and Alicia reconnect?? I think Will is heartbroken and really loves Alicia, or at least thinks he does. He knows something in his life is missing, and to him it may seem like Alicia.
    I really love this show, so many good main actors/characters and lots of interesting guests. But I am getting worried that they may end up overdoing the quirky factor with every guest/occassional reoccuring characters.

24. Bostonfan

Yeah, when Diane incorrectly assumed that Alicia's tears were due to Will ending the affair and she said "She'll get over it", Will specifically replied "She will" - which I viewed as an unspoken "But I won't".

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  25. professordeb

Darn, I missed the episode as had to go to bed with raging headache an hour before it even came on. Off to see if I can find the epi online and watch it ...

26. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like the quirky factor and would rather see that then say--Jackie continually sticking her nose in Alicia's business. I'm tired of her but love Owen or Eli and hope we see more of both. Also Wendy Scott-Carr (I'm not sure if that is her name) is dangerous. I hope Peter isn't sorry later.

27. Bostonfan

Enjoyed this episode. TGW isn't known for twists in their narrative, so I tend to believe that Wendy Scott Carr really is after Peter (and not just trying to bluff Will). That's actually more interesting than a straightforward investigation of Will. It presents Will with a dilemma on whether to cooperate to expose Peter or maybe turn the tables on Wendy. Lots of ways the writers can go with this.

I was LMAO listening to the tennis player friend going on and on about some tribe of asian women that dictate sex with multiple partners, and so on. Alicia's face was classic :) The writers went a bit over the top demonstrating how far Alicia has journeyed since her days as a gossipy "Housewife of Chicago". But funny nonetheless.

Alicia was a bada** when she demanded Cary produce Kalinda. Not a detente per se, but some movement on their relationship (Kalinda and Alicia). I do like that Diane is actively positioning herself to guide Alicia. Or is she? Part of me wonders if she's just trying to make sure she's more in tune with what's going on in Alicia's life ever since she learned of the affair. With her husband as State's Attorney and the investigation against Will, Diane probably feels like she has to really invest some time with Alicia.

Wasn't sure how to interpret her look back at Will after he said, "You don't have to thank me". She lingered a bit as if something felt off to her. And it was liberating to me as a viewer that she clearly recognized that she really doesn't love Will. I like her dynamic with Peter SO much better.

Speaking of Peter, the West Wing nerd in me was reminded of a scene where Bartlett tells a seated right-wing radio "doctor" at a White House reception, "In this building, when the President stands, nobody sits". Sort of like Peter's, "I'm the States Attorney. You don't say no to me"

I enjoyed the jury review aspect of the story. But I learned way more about buttons than I ever needed to. :) And where was Caitlin? Digging through garbage seems a little above a 3rd year associate. I would have enjoyed watching her get her hands dirty.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  28. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Love West Wing - so funny Peter showing his weight.
    So true - it would of been much funnier if Caitlin did the digging.

I love the layers on this show. Diane is someone we like/root for, but adding the unknown real purpose of her mentoring Alicia is so cool. I like Diane's character, but she would throw Alicia under the bus very quickly.
    Everything is not all black and white.
    Yes - the button lady was fun at first, but a little too much by the end.
    Love the turn of events with Wendy Scott Carr - Will handled it well, you can see him thinking this through. And he has to play basketball by himself.
    Some warming up between Alicia and Kalinda in the same episode that she realizes she has no friends. Liked the end where it was Diane meeting Alicia for drinks and not Kalinda. Also loved when Alicia said she would help Kalinda, the smile on Kalinda's face - so sweet.

29. professordeb

Yep, watch out guys, the women are beginning to bond! To quote a certain female singer from years past

I am woman, hear me roar In numbers too big to ignore
    And I know too much to go back an' pretend
    'cause I've heard it all before And I've been down there on the floor
    No one's ever gonna keep me down again

CHORUS
    Oh yes I am wise But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price But look how much I gained
    If I have to, I can do anything
    I am strong (strong)
    I am invincible (invincible)
    I am woman

You can bend but never break me 'cause it only serves to make me
    More determined to achieve my final goal
    And I come back even stronger Not a novice any longer
    'cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

CHORUS

I am woman watch me grow See me standing toe to toe
    As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
    But I'm still an embryo With a long long way to go
    Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes I am wise But it's wisdom born of pain
    Yes, I've paid the price But look how much I gained
    If I have to I can face anything
    I am strong (strong)
    I am invincible (invincible)
    I am woman
    Oh, I am woman
    I am invincible
    I am strong

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Love that but I have to say that Wendy Scott Carr is wicked---I would not want her anywhere near me (or my position) if I worked with her.