The Good Wife - Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Debbie S, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I didn't see a new thread started yet.

Great season opener last night. The writers sure picked a provocative storyline to start the season with!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yay! I was hoping I wasn't the only fan. That is what I love about the show--even when the characters are going about their daily working/after work lives there is still an element of suspense of what surprise is around the corner. And we are not talking about jaw dropping surprises (usually) but the little things that happen in relationships. And the court cases are interesting too. I agree about the storyline---Alicia is on such a tightrope and I'm not sure she realizes how boxed in she is between her husband/ her love life/ Owen's demands/ the job demands-- and then there's Kalinda. Good stuff and this is just the first episode.
  3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for someone/anyone to catch Will & Alicia going at it somewhere. They almost seem like a pair of bunnies -- any time, any place will do.

I thought the ending was ... interesting. I think we are supposed to believe it is Will at the door but part of me wonders if one of the kids came back cause they forgot something or the daughter has decided to stay with mom. Wouldn't that put a cramp in Will's pants hahaha.

I also enjoyed seeing both Alicia & Kalinda being told to basically deal with whatever is troublilng them and get back to their regular relationship. Good luck on that one honey!

Poor ??? I've drawn a blank on his name. He told Peter that he thought Alicia & Will are over. What a hoot! He really needs to be paying closer attention to what is not said. Too bad.

Kerry - I am enjoying him thus far this season. I found it almost funny him pulling out the "but Alicia wants you recuse yourself cause there won't be any Jews working tomorrow" plea to the judge. I wonder which way he WAS going to rule before being reminded of such.

This show has a lot of twists and turns and the "good wife" is actually turning out to be a baaaaaaaad girl.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I love the little things like the music they used for last night's show or Alicia's ring tone for her daughter. :lol: I'm so happy the new season has started!
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Will and Alicia :smokin:

I love this show. It's so smart.
  6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Yeah a new The Good Wife thread! :cheer: Really enjoyed last night's episode, especially things like Eli saying "but I'm YOUR son of a b*tch", :lol:

Didn't understand why Kalinda did not rip into Cary after her used her that way (the security picture).

Also not really sure where I stand with Will and Alicia doing it, not sure I trust him, especially not after his "I'm not feeling anything" conversation with Kalinda.
  7. professordeb

This ^
    I almost peed my pants when he said that line.

Guess he's not letting anything stand in his way of finally getting to bang the one that, until now, had gotten away.

My guess is that once he's gotten his fill of Alicia (or someone else catches his eye), he'll dump her. I just don't see him keeping her around to fulfill his sexual appetite on a permanent basis and once he dumps her ... well I can see the office becoming an even more interesting place to watch the dynamics of Alicia, Will and Kalinda. Eli could be getting an eyeful and then some ...
  8. Allskate

She may be plotting her revenge.

Not good for Alicia, but good for possible plot and character development for Will. I think Will has been one of the less interesting characters on the show. This may make him a bit more interesting. Perhaps Kalinda can uncover some details from his background so that we can discover why he's so emotionally dead.
  9. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Love Eli, and so cool he has a front row seat in the law firm! Good episode, love the twist that it was a lovers quarrel and nothing to do with bigotry. I think they are setting the stage and it will be interesting. I think Alicia is good for Will, but not sure if in the long run, Will is good for Alicia. Cary and Chris Noth are very intriguing, it will be fun to see how that relationship develops. Really loved Kalinda and the blonde investigator, they are funny helping each other out (or not) on cases.
  10. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Eli... and I think he totally picked up on Alicia/Will, but that he was lying to Peter, because he needs Peter/Alicia together.
  11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

If anyone can maneuver her way along a tightrope, it's Alicia!

I took that hesitancy on Alicia's part to mean, "what am I DOING? Should I not answer it and put a halt on this relationship??" To which I was not happy, I don't want her to doubt herself.

Because Kalinda is a brilliantly intelligent woman whose actions are based on just that, rather than knee-jerk emotions. :respec:

I thought that was totally out of character for Will, and very bad writing for such a well-written show.

Yes, Eli was definitely playing chess. :lol:
  12. professordeb

I didn't see it as any hesitancy per se but only wondering *who* might be at the door and speculating that it might not be whom Alicia thinks it's going to be - Will.

And I am *totally* off in not realizing the Eli probably did see what was going on with Will & Alicia but pretended differently to Peter. Wonder if Peter believed Eli? Interesting times coming ...
  13. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

In the scenes from next week, the very last cut was of a door opening and Diane is standing there. I barely caught it but I think that's the ending of the last scene teaser.

It's pretty clear to me that most of what both Will and Alicia said to anyone at the firm during this episode was very calculated.
  14. Allskate

Yeah. He could have been trying to trick Kalinda into thinking he and Alicia aren't having a relationship. One way or another, I think Kalinda will be looking into this.
  15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree. Esp. their first scene together in that episode, when they're in Will's apt., standing up ... that might be the closest we've seen to a climax on a network drama.

I'm not sure how I feel about Willicia in the long term ... but in the short term it's smokin, give me more. And I love seeing Alicia feeling sexy & confident.

My only quibble about the writing in that episode was the conclusion of murder case. Way too quick, way too behind-the-scenes. I wanted to see Kary with egg all over his face, and I really wanted to see some political fallout for the prosecutors' office for running to trial so quickly with zero evidence and zero investigation. (But the phone call with Eli and the "is this good for our image" was pretty good.)

So shall we take bets on how long before we see Kalinda hook up with blonde prosecutor investigator chick?
  16. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I thought that too: Alicia is having second thoughts on her relationship with Will, or at least the way they arrange meetings.
    It's never good to hear your secret lover ring the door bell while you see yourself in the mirror: coscience stay clean as long as you don't use it.

It's funny. I think they were using last season too.

And his bluffing face is so engaging - I could totally see the younger girl falling for him, last seson.

Aw, I love Will as he is.

---

This show is great!
    And Chigago, of all places, is just the cherry on top <3

---

My wishes:
    * Please tell me soon about Kalinda's past. I'm no good with patience when it comes to this sort of things.
    * Please, let Alicia and Will have their, er, "cute meets" for another ten episodes at least. Don't put dramain the way too soon.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure they hooked up at the end of last season. Or am I confused?
  18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was obsessed with this the first season and then missed all of season 2. I keep hoping it will appear on Netflix streaming so I can make a weekend of it and then get back into it. I almost started watching this season but then I would be confused and never go back to watch season 2 and possibly quit watching all together because of the confusion.
  19. Allskate

They did. Then Kalinda, already feeling guilty about sleeping with Alicia's husband, found out that the investigator was married and hasn't been with her since. There was a reference to it in Sunday's show.

Brian, the second season is out on DVD. Maybe your local library has it? It was a really good season.
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'd bet against it as the actress (Kelli Giddish) is one of the new leads on Law and Order: SVU.
    Although wikipedia says she will be doing three episodes...which might turn into more???
  21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm awful with names but last year Alicia went to one of the attorneys regarding her split with Peter. This man was also involved with derailing the attempted takeover/buyout last year. He is funny and sardonic. I hope he is still on this year. If he had an expanded role I'd welcome it.
  22. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Good. I don't like her character.
  23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

They've been using that ringtone for Alicia's daughter since the first season :) And as it was said before, Kalinda has already hooked up with the blonde lady. The question for me is if or when she'll hook up with Cary. There's been simmering tension there for ages, but who knows if anything will come of it...
  24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I like the actor who plays Cary, he's cute and all...and I think the character is interesting (although a tad bitter) ;) - am I alone in thinking that Cary is not man enough for Kalinda?? :D
  25. Lutzcy

Lutzcy Active Member

You are not alone! She is such a fabulous character. I'm not sure there is anyone man enough or woman enough for Kalinda :p
  26. professordeb

This ^
  27. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I liked the interaction between Eli and Kalinda last night.

I wonder how long it will be before Alicia and Will are busted. ;)
  28. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Totally love Eli and Kalinda! Hell, I'd watch a spin-off with just these 2 characters. Just imagine the possibilities of him playing a morally ambiguous campaign manager and she as the investigator. I found myself totally uninterested by the "case of the week" and wanted more of Eli and Kalinda.

We get some Owen next week. All we need is a dash of Jackie, and I'll be happy. Seriously, the supporting characters are all wonderful on this show!

As for Peter, they are being very cagey with the writing. I can't tell if he really is trying to make things more difficult for Alicia at the lawfirm, or if he's interested in a reconciliation with her. Maybe it's a combination of both. His conversation with Zach was the closest he came to honestly acknowledging his part in this most recent separation with Alicia. It's interesting that they stopped it right at the moment on Zach's face. It seems like Zach read between the lines. I'm curious to see how he'll react. Will he lash out at him?
  29. professordeb

OK, I was late to the beginning of the episode so I am wondering if we got to see who was at the door from where we left off last week.

Count me in as lurving Eli & Kalinda. WOW, they are fun.

I kinda like how they are being cagey with Peter and if he can help break up Will & Alicia in some way or another, I'm all for it cause I'm tired of those two as a couple already.

The chat between Peter & Zach - interesting cause Peter could have told his son that it was actions that happened quite some time in the past but that Alicia just found out so she's ticked off with him about it. Seems to me Peter is perhaps protecting Alicia a bit (and himself too) cause she "stood by her man" through all that other stuff. If I'm Zach, I might be wondering why my mom was willing to stay with dad through earlier stuff but now she won't. IIRC, the kids know that dad was "involved" with other women so he might be wondering "what's the deal with another one coming to light? What's so special about this one ... or is there something that mom doesn't want me knowing"?
  30. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it was revealed that Peter had been with more than just Amber (the call girl) during his marriage. I seem to recall that Alicia specifically asked Peter if there had been any others, and he said no. So Zach may not have assumed his father had been unfaithful with multiple women.
  31. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Totally agree, I also really enjoyed the conversation between Alicia and Diane and the one between Peter and his son. I was quite surprise that he told him the truth and it made his motive regarding the audit of the firm a little harder to read.
  32. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Absolutely loved Kalinda and Eli together! I hope we see those two more often.

The final conversation between Diane and Will was very interesting.

So glad Alicia's brother is back next week. He's a great character.
  33. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Agreed, loved this combo. "How have we not met before?!" :D Exactly.

So what is the deal with Will and his 'I don't feel anything most of the time,' and now telling Diane he is okay with firing Alicia if push comes to shove. I thought Alicia was his one that got away, but maybe it is just the conquest for him?
  34. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Part of me thinks he is an idiot, and part of me thinks he is just placating Diane and trying to be discreet. There is a lot we don't know about Will, so they can go either way. I still think Alicia is good for Will, but not sure if he is good for Alicia.

Eli & Kalinda, match made in heaven or hell? Perfect.

Re - the Kids. I don't like Grace much, but there is something about Zach I really like. There is something real about him, and I just feel he is a really good kid. the hug in the kitchen was so cute and real.
  35. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Alicia had agreed to meet Will at 8:45, and in that final scene it was just before 8:45, so I'm pretty sure it was Will. To me, the real question is, what was Alicia's trepidation/hesitation about? :confused: Was that scene meant to say that Alicia is sensing something is off, but doesn't want to let that doubt in? :(

I think Zach got some info that filled in the blanks for him. But getting even more info would have been learning some of the dirt that happened between his parents...and he didn't want to wade into that muck. What kid of that age wants to know all the dirty details? It's too much (for the poor kid). :(

I think this is really good writing. Life is not always simple and we don't always get the info and/or answers we need right away. And the durned writers of this show are making us wonder!!! :lol:

I was impressed with the Mickey Gunn character who was testing Eli. He was great! During the show I wondered if they give an Emmy for casting (I think they do) and thought that The Good Wife deserves a nod (or a win) for the great casting they have done. :respec:

I thought the case of the week was great. So many twists and turns...such incredible writing (and acting...and directing...) :D
  36. Artemis@BC

I think he was just saying what he needed to say to keep Diane off the scent (and I think she already has her suspicions). But I also agree there's a lot we don't know about Will. And I saw a snippet about next week's episode:
    Will's ex-wife shows up (played by Lisa Edelstein), and faces Alicia in court. Did we even know Will was married?
  37. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

It might just be because I have a British law degree and know way too much about this...but I was really annoyed both at the stereotypical and clearly unresearched portrayal of British lawyers and judges...and the MASSIVE legal error the whole case revolved around.

There is no punitive damages in the UK. The sum of £50000 was considered 'unusually high'. There is no way in hell they were suing for £20 million.

That aside...did Will say it because he knew Alicia would work for them as long as they kept her separation quiet? Did he say it to keep their relationship quiet? It's all so strange..you never know what's going on with Will!
  38. Artemis@BC

And as a Canadian, I was ticked about the passing comment about something to do with in Toronto, and the response "Well Canada is a British Commonwealth." WTF? Yes, Canada is a member of the British Commonwealth. However we are a sovereign nation and our laws are not subordinate to those of the United Kingdom. I know it's the norm for US TV networks to expect their viewers to neither know nor care about the laws outside their borders ... but nonetheless I did expect a higher level of accuracy from an otherwise smart show.
  39. moojja

moojja Active Member

No, I don't think it has anything to do with Will's feeling or lack of feelings towards Alicia. He was agreeing with Diana, if Alicia's estranged husband, the new DA, targets the firm, then they will fire Alicia to save the firm. It's a cold, hard business decision that will have huge personal impact.

If they do fire Alicia, then what firm in Chicago will hire her, know that it will cause the DA office to investigate or just look unfavorable on them. I hope they don't go down that line, b/c that's too painful.
  40. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

The most interesting scene tonight for me was the tense scene between Cary and Kalinda.

Poor Owen. He had it bad enough with his BF and then Jackie shows up. :scream:

Can't stand Will's ex. But, maybe that is the point.

Got a laugh out of Clay Davis ;) being the mediator. I kept waiting for him to say sheeeit to the lawyers...:D