The Good News Thread

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Conratulations, @Vash01 I've seen some very amazing photos of yours during the past couple of years, and I must say that this particular pic was definitely a winner - well deserving! :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't know if this can be called 'good news' but I survived two near misses on the road in less than 4 days.

First one was in Sedona last Saturday, on a scenic highway, when a potential crash was avoided (by inches) because the other driver and I both did the right thing at the last minute.

Second one was last night in Scottsdale. While driving home I was caught in the worst thunderstorm I have ever seen. I was away from any buildings so taking shelter was not an option. I drove carefully, avoiding trees fallen in the right lane of the flooded road. Once I got on the major road (not a highway) there was no flooding but I driving in the middle lane, and suddenly I saw a big tree fallen right in front of me. At the last minute I was able to swerve into the right lane or this would have been a major accident. This was such a big storm that on a scale of 1-10 it was placed at 9.

On the TV they showed another part of Phoenix (not far from where I work) that was completely flooded and they had closed that road. I was surprised that the major road connecting Scottsdale with Phoenix was not closed (the one with the fallen tree in the middle of the road). The traffic lights had gone dark due to power outages (power is still down on the roads). All drivers were very courteous and waited for each other at the signals that were not working (not even a flashing light; the signals were completely out).

It was good to see the drivers being nice to each other. That's not typical of Phoenix drivers. :)
It was good that there were no accidents that I heard of on TV. I was glad that everyone was safe.

Both times I was very grateful to have made it home safely.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here is a heart warming story of human kindness:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/europe/greek-couple-saves-refugee/index.html

A Syrian refugee risked his life to help his co-refugees in a boat and nearly lost his life. About 13 hours later, he was rescued by vacationers. He was only half conscious at that point and would have certainly died if not for an actress who saw him, grabbed his hand, and pulled him on to the boat.

twinsissv

Here is a heart warming story of human kindness:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/04/europe/greek-couple-saves-refugee/index.html

A Syrian refugee risked his life to help his co-refugees in a boat and nearly lost his life. About 13 hours later, he was rescued by vacationers. He was only half conscious at that point and would have certainly died if not for an actress who saw him, grabbed his hand, and pulled him on to the boat.
:respec: Maybe there is still some hope for mankind...after all. Hungarian P.M.???

Addendum: Just saw tape of Hungarian citizens who are walking along with the refugees and giving food, water and provisions for babies and children to them.
Some are even expressing anger at their own government for taking such a harsh attitude toward people who are trying to escape war because "they might be Muslim".

Last edited:

ilovepaydays

Here's some more good news: After making a huge life change and moving to take a job in DC (I live in Arlington, VA) about two years ago, I received a promotion! The new position (plus a decent pay raise!) starts next week.

It's actually pretty special because after losing two jobs and having to short sell my house (although I do strangely like renting now), I feel like I am back in financial order.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Here's some more good news: After making a huge life change and moving to take a job in DC (I live in Arlington, VA) about two years ago, I received a promotion! The new position (plus a decent pay raise!) starts next week.

It's actually pretty special because after losing two jobs and having to short sell my house (although I do strangely like renting now), I feel like I am back in financial order.

Congratulations! Well done!

Japanfan

It was good to see the drivers being nice to each other. That's not typical of Phoenix drivers. :)
It was good that there were no accidents that I heard of on TV. I was glad that everyone was safe.

Both times I was very grateful to have made it home safely.

All very good news.

And big congratulations for your photographic win.:cheer2:

Cachoo

I saw a bit of news today that President Obama met with three of the people who stopped the train attack in France. And then they were getting medals at the Pentagon. I've seen enough of these guys now to see that they appear to be good, ordinary guys who did something extraordinary. I think their parents must be very proud.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
They have identified Boston's Baby Doe. The rest of the story isn't good news, but everyone is happy that the child finally has a name, Bella.

Last edited:

Japanfan

:dog:

The pilot said he was responsible for all lives on the plane, including animal lives.

If the situation had not been resolved in this way, I would definitely fear flying a dog again. And so would a lot of other dog owners. When you pay to fly a dog, you expect the dog to have a proper/appropriate temperature in the hold, no less than you expect people to have a proper/appropriate temperature in the plane proper.

Flying an animal is already scary enough, given how many of them get lost en route to their destination - especially when a transfer is involved.

aliceanne

I liked the story about the Kansas high school students who met Westboro Baptist picketers ( Westboro was picketing their school over their choice of homecoming queen) with signs that said "Westboro Baptist Church needs Jesus".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information