The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw this movie on streaming Netflix and really enjoyed it, despite the subtitles. They didn't distract me.

2. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

Itunes even has an English dubbed version so its not like its impossible for people to lazy to read subtitles to watch.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

I ordered this from Amazon just three days ago and I am (im)patiently awaiting delivery.

4. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

She agrees:

Carey Mulligan will not play Lisbeth

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Ellen Page would do a great job but for the best results it might be better to go with someone new, someone the public doesn't have much of an idea of.

6. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I've read the books and recently watched the 1st movie with subtitles and thoroughly enjoyed it even though there were quite a few changes and omissions. I thought that if hollywood were to produce it, it wouldn't be very watchable especially with big name stars.............who is tiny and could play Lisbeth?............Ellen Page is the only one I could remotely imagine in that role.........I think she has the little anorexic girl look and the acting skills to do it justice. If an english language film is made, either in Hollywood or Britain, I certainly hope that they will perhaps be more true to the actual books. I would definitely go see them.

7. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

After seeing the Swedish original, I cringe at the idea of Hollywood remaking it, with ANYONE. Noomi Rapace owns the part. I'm not sure whether I would bother to see the remake, or if I would just netflix the original again.

8. Nan

Nan Just me

This arrived from Amazon yesterday and I watched it last night. There were parts left out, but the bones of the story were there and the leading lady did a very good job. I'm not sure someone who did not read the book would get as much from it, but I will certainly watch it again.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Agree that if Hollywood was smart, they would just get Noomi Rapace to star in the US version too. They're not going to find someone to do better, and really, the series has a built-in mass audience. They don't need a star do get people to go see it. I can live with them filling the Mikael role with a name actor as long as it's not someone way too pretty or young to be believable.

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I read an article a week or two ago that said Noomi Rapace said she wasn't interested in reprising her role as Salander in a U.S. version. That disappoints me... she's fab!

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I just saw the second film and think Noomi Rapace is brilliant. I agree with genevieve that finding someone to fit her shoes will be next to impossible.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

13. genevieve

14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

:::shudder::: I'm not opposed to the American film at all and think Fincher could do a really good job with the story, but KStew as Lisbeth would completely turn me off wanting to see it. Bleah. I've heard they're determined to go with a relative unknown for Salander, and I so hope that's true.

15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

And Craig is a great actor. Saw him on Broadway last year with Hugh Jackman, both playing americans and cops.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree that he is a much better choice than Brad Pitt although Brad Pitt really is a great actor and not just a pretty boy.

Ellen Paige would be great for Lisbeth IMO. Not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart...

17. genevieve

I agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor...just not right for the role.

I've been going back and forth about Ellen Page. She is physically a good match, and anyone who has seen Hard Candy knows that she can handle dark material well (and rock short hair). My only fear about her is that she now has something of a "persona" in the films she's in, and I'm worried that, with her being a new Hollywood darling, she would not be allowed to take the character as far away from that persona (both physically and character-wise) as she would have been able to a couple of years ago.

I keep reminding myself that David Fincher is directing, and he does not shy away from difficulty, so hopefully it will be ok even if we end up with the dreaded KS

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  18. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

While I was watching Inception last weekend I was looking at her and though that physically she would be a good match for Lisbeth because she is very young looking and small-built.

19. CynicElle

Definitely. I like Ellen Page better than any of the other big-name possibilities I've heard.

I have no strong opinion on Daniel Craig one way or the other, which is probably just as well. At least it's not Brad Pitt -- nothing against him, but I couldn't picture him in that role at all. I always pictured Edward Norton when I was reading the book.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Also, if anyone has seen Ellen Page in Hard Candy, knows she can do intense roles. She was only 18 when she made that movie.

Oops, you beat me to it. :lol:

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  21. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

Brad Pitt really shines in comedy more than anything serious.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I discovered his dramatic skills in 12 Monkeys and was very impressed. But he is too pretty for Blomkvist.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sorry for the double post. I have a cancellation and am uncharacteristically caught up on charting so I wanted to discuss potential candidacies for the role of Lisbeth.

We've talked about Ellen Page who would be my first choice.

Others are:

Mia Wasikowska Seems OK, like she has potential to be a good Lisbeth. I am not familiar with her acting.

Emily Browning Way too luscious. She can't lose her beautiful bee-stung lips, can she. All wrong for Lisbeth.

Sara Snook That's nice and sullen, could work. I don't know her work to say more.

Rooney Mara Doesn't seem to have the required intense presence, kinda dishwater blah.

Sophie Lowe Could work, may be.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  24. genevieve

I saw somewhere else that Rooney Mara is under serious consideration - she's way too...soft looking. Mia - perhaps, but she'd have to ditch that long luscious hair.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Rooney Mara just seems too mousy and non-threatening. I would eliminate her and Emily Browning just based on the head shots.

Regarding Mia--losing the hair would be a small price to pay (but yes, the hair is very nice). She looks good for the role IMO.

26. genevieve

It's official: Rooney Mara is in

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_en_ot/us_film_dragon_tattoo

In terms of looks I'm not crazy about her but 1) I'm thrilled they went with a relative unknown and 2) if I had seen Noomi Raplace before seeing the Swedish films I would not have expected her to fit the bill so well either. I will cross my fingers that they will go as far as needed to make this character come to life and not insist that the actress remain "Hollywood pretty".

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, we'll see. I am a bit skeptical but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

28. CynicElle

I don't know anything about this actress other than that she was in that "Nightmare on Elm Street" remake that I never saw, but I'm glad they finally picked someone; the constant "They're down to six candidates! Now they're down to four! Now they're down to two!" rumor leakage was getting really :rolleyes:. (It's a role in a movie, not the next President.) I like the other casting rumors I've heard so far (Stellan Skarsgard as Martin Vanger and Robin Wright as Erika Berger), so hopefully this is a good call too.

29. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Adding my vote to Hannah, Holley, and the rest of the "WHY MAKE A REMAKE?" crowd. I just saw this first movie this weekend (at the local "art" theatre) and really, really liked it. They are going to be showing "The Girl Who Played with Fire" next.

I'm wracking my brain to come up with a Hollywood remake of a foreign film that I have liked as much as/thought was as well done as the original. So far, nothing. Although I did enjoy a few of the remakes, mostly they were very much inferior (at least to my tastes). I can actually see Daniel Craig doing a creditable job in the role of Mikael; since I have no recollection of ever seeing Rooney Mara, I haven't the faintest idea of what she could do as Noomi. I guess I can be thankful that they didn't cast Miley or some such similar. :scream:

30. genevieve

You mean as Lisbeth? :p I think this shows how completely Noomi Rapace became Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish films :lol:

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.