The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Mar 24, 2010.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Carey Mulligan is too apple-cheeky and robust looking to play Salander but of course there is always make-up and/or extreme dieting. But still her vibe is too ordinary and harmless. OTOH, I thought the Swedish actress was spot on.

ETA: here is an article whose author agrees with me: http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2010/04/26/is-carey-mulligan-lisbeth-salander/

The actress mentioned whom the author of the article prefers for the role of Salander, Allison Scagliotti, is way better suited IMO. Every other picture of her on Google is that of a sullen, defensive girl. But oh well; we get apple cheeks. Uncle Dick will be happy.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Love the idea of Colin Firth....but don't they have any Swedish actors? I'd rather see an original Viking.

I've read the first book. Wow! That's all I can say. I'm sure I'll be reading the other two in short order. Love Lisbeth....

3. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

I see on Amazon in the USA the release date for the third and final book is May 25, 2010. :) You can get English-language imported versions now if you can't wait.

I saw the movie of TGWTDT and enjoyed it but it felt more like a TV movie than something cinematic.

I wish the whole Millennium Trilogy could have been filmed like a high-quality mini-series with enough time to include most of the books' contents. Similar to the famous BBC miniseries of "Pride and Prejudice."

4. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Much as I adore Sally Sparrow, she's all wrong for Lisbeth. :p But Mulligan is good, so I'd best not pre-judge.

I know - I've preordered it, but with the way book 2 ended, I've had a tough time waiting for book 3. :lol: But it may take 3 weeks to get a copy from Amazon.uk so I may as well be patient.

This. :respec:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I saw it a week or so ago at the local independent theater. I thought it was a good movie overall, but I felt like the character links were bit disjointed...I didn't really see how 3 stories tied together. I liked the two main characters.

6. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I live in Europe and had 3rd book since November last year. Soft cover in English.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I read this morning that Carey Mulligan has not actually signed on yet, but is said to be very close to signing on.

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

could be worse, could be Miley Ray Montana

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

there's that silver lining

Is Daniel Radcliffe playing a baby Hitler here?

12. Wyliefan

Mulligan is a lovely actress. (We BBC drama fanatics discovered her long before Hollywood did. :D ) But I can certainly see how this might not be the right role for her.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am sure she is. I just don't think she is physically the right woman for the job. She is going to have to say good bye to those round cheeks and healthy body weight.

14. Wyliefan

:lol: No, although it does look like it. That was a pretty good film, actually. I saw it a few months ago.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Bumping this thread because saw the 2nd movie last night.

It was pretty good, although so much went unexplained that I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the books not being thoroughly confused. The final scene was changed in a way that made no sense but will affect the way the third movie starts.
    Finla showdown between Salander and Zala took place in early morning light instead of nighttime, and while Niedermann did run away after seeing her all bloiddy and out of the grave, there was no explanation for why he would do that. It simply made no sense based on what the movie had showed. Worse, Blomkvist is shown driving up to the property, Niedermann sees him, and still just runs away. So, no Micke capturing him in the car down the road.

There is also no mention of the whole "Lesbian satanist" angle that the police were using in their pursuit of Salander. We see officer Faste and DA Eckstrom in the beginning of the film, but they really aren't a big presence. A LOT had to be cut.

Oh, and the disguises Salander uses to go outside are a far cry from what they were in the book :lol:

In other news, my friend said she read someone in Hollywood is trying to buy the rights to separate the character of Lisbeth Salander from the books, so there can be a franchise, a la James Bond. :scream: please no..........

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

ah nice :) didn't realize the second movie was coming out that soon.

17. HisWeirness

The first movie is now out on DVD and on Netflix streaming in the USA.

I think I'm going to wait to see the second movie on DVD based on genevieve's description.

18. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I have read all 3 books, and saw the 1st and 2nd movie. Yes they movies leave a lot out, but overall very good book to movies. I enjoyed all the books and the 2 movies.
    Some of the differences are amusing to me, mainly the number of women that Blomquist sleeps with in the book compared to the movies! Can't wait for the 3rd one. I believe it will be out in the US in the next few months.

I am having a hard time seeing how the US production of the movies will be any good. Unless they do a miniseries and do hours and hours and include lots, I do not think it will compare.

19. Holley Calmes

I would much rather see a mini-series and have the entire, complex, deep and fascinating story than a dumbed-down American film version. I just finished the third book, and I'm in awe of this writer. My only problem was that so many of the names were similar, it was sometimes hard to remember which character was which-many seemed to start with the letter "E." I actually had to concentrate! (I am being tongue in cheek here...)

Then I saw the photo of the Swedish movie's version of Lisbeth and went "YES!" now THAT is Lisbeth...not Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansen for heaven's sake. This girl looks dangerous and vulnerable all at the same time.

I also was a fan of the Erika Berger character, and Figuerola-the blonde Amazon. That would also be a juicy part for some aspiring young actress. And I, too, got a big chuckle out of just how many women Blomkvist managed to sleep with, seeing how he was obviously based on Larsson himself.

20. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I read the first two books over two weeks when I was hellishly busy and they were still mesmerizing. Then finished the second one and headed straight out to buy the third, which I'm in the middle of.

Daniel Craig sounds good to me, yumm, but not Carey Mulligan, although she was great in An Education. If ever there was a role for a young Mia Farrow-type, but with more guts, this is it. It's a shame P!nk is too old. :D

21. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true - Noomi R is just amazing.
    When I saw a sneak preview of the second movie, they first showed a one hour documentary on Larsson.
    One of his friends said yes Larsson is Blomquist, other than sleeping with all the women, that was something he wanted, but didn't do. Cute comment.
    Noomi was also interviewed, very lovely, more girly than in the movie.

I really felt in the 2nd and 3rd book many folks were introduced, that if there were the 10 books, some of them would be popping up at various times. It was too many people, but I loved it.

Berger - great character, really enjoyed her in the 3rd book. Again, so many cool characters and want to read more!!

Also they left out Lisbeth's surgery in the movie - it amused me how it helped her.

22. genevieve

Oh, I definitely enjoyed it as well, and am looking forward to the 3rd movie. My friend and I had a lively discussion about how impossible it would be to include everything - but we did feel that reading the books is pretty critical to getting a lot of details that are just suggested (which I think is true of most faithful adaptations).

Of all the American actresses out there, if they are going to go with a name (and they are), I think Natalie Portman would be the best, but they'd have to let her look not-US-version-of-pretty, and I don't see that happening in what will surely be a blockbuster.

23. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Natalie was grungy in a period movie with Javier Bardem, blanking on the name right now.

24. HisWeirness

Just looked it up - Goya's Ghosts

25. Holley Calmes

I had mentioned upthread how perfect Natalie would have been for this with her "Leon" waif-like character. Of course she was very, very young there, but Lisbeth is also a character many people perceive as a child at first glance....I like Natalie, but her image is just so glamorous now. I wish they could find some struggling young ingenue who could bring Lisbeth to life without the viewer wondering if the actress is still dating the NYC Ballet soloist. (I do wonder myself, actually...)

26. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. genevieve

True - but that was a smaller film. This is being set up as a major film with high $$ expectations.

^ This.

Totally.

28. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

How about Dakota Fanning as the lead? She's a great actress!

29. Holley Calmes

I would infintely prefer to read subtitles than watch a Hollywood hash-up of this incredible story!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I just finished all 3 books. I didn't know that it was a trilogy when I saw the first movie and when I heard there were 3 books, I was at the book store the same day and got all 3. I loved those books.

I heard this role was one of the most coveted in Hollywood and everyone was interested, including Natalie Portman, and the other youngish girls. To me, the Swedish girl, Noomi whatever, was perfect for this part.

I cringe at an American remake, but would for sure go see it. Sometimes they can surprise you. Do you think they'd even keep it Swedish? Sometimes that is a stretch for them. I never understand why subtitles are so hard. I get used to them almost right away.

Going back to TGWTDT, I also laughed in the theatre when Lisbeth ran after the SUV with her golf club. It was right after the Elin Nordgren and Tiger episode and my first thought was, wow, those Swedish girls, LOL!!!