The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Mar 24, 2010.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

there's that silver lining

Is Daniel Radcliffe playing a baby Hitler here?
  2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Mulligan is a lovely actress. (We BBC drama fanatics discovered her long before Hollywood did. :D ) But I can certainly see how this might not be the right role for her.
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am sure she is. I just don't think she is physically the right woman for the job. She is going to have to say good bye to those round cheeks and healthy body weight.
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:lol: No, although it does look like it. That was a pretty good film, actually. I saw it a few months ago.
  5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Bumping this thread because saw the 2nd movie last night.

It was pretty good, although so much went unexplained that I can't imagine anyone who hasn't read the books not being thoroughly confused. The final scene was changed in a way that made no sense but will affect the way the third movie starts.
    Finla showdown between Salander and Zala took place in early morning light instead of nighttime, and while Niedermann did run away after seeing her all bloiddy and out of the grave, there was no explanation for why he would do that. It simply made no sense based on what the movie had showed. Worse, Blomkvist is shown driving up to the property, Niedermann sees him, and still just runs away. So, no Micke capturing him in the car down the road.

There is also no mention of the whole "Lesbian satanist" angle that the police were using in their pursuit of Salander. We see officer Faste and DA Eckstrom in the beginning of the film, but they really aren't a big presence. A LOT had to be cut.

Oh, and the disguises Salander uses to go outside are a far cry from what they were in the book :lol:

In other news, my friend said she read someone in Hollywood is trying to buy the rights to separate the character of Lisbeth Salander from the books, so there can be a franchise, a la James Bond. :scream: please no..........
  6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

ah nice :) didn't realize the second movie was coming out that soon.
  7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Yay, new board!

The first movie is now out on DVD and on Netflix streaming in the USA.

I think I'm going to wait to see the second movie on DVD based on genevieve's description.
  8. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I have read all 3 books, and saw the 1st and 2nd movie. Yes they movies leave a lot out, but overall very good book to movies. I enjoyed all the books and the 2 movies.
    Some of the differences are amusing to me, mainly the number of women that Blomquist sleeps with in the book compared to the movies! Can't wait for the 3rd one. I believe it will be out in the US in the next few months.

I am having a hard time seeing how the US production of the movies will be any good. Unless they do a miniseries and do hours and hours and include lots, I do not think it will compare.
  9. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I would much rather see a mini-series and have the entire, complex, deep and fascinating story than a dumbed-down American film version. I just finished the third book, and I'm in awe of this writer. My only problem was that so many of the names were similar, it was sometimes hard to remember which character was which-many seemed to start with the letter "E." I actually had to concentrate! (I am being tongue in cheek here...)

Then I saw the photo of the Swedish movie's version of Lisbeth and went "YES!" now THAT is Lisbeth...not Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johansen for heaven's sake. This girl looks dangerous and vulnerable all at the same time.

I also was a fan of the Erika Berger character, and Figuerola-the blonde Amazon. That would also be a juicy part for some aspiring young actress. And I, too, got a big chuckle out of just how many women Blomkvist managed to sleep with, seeing how he was obviously based on Larsson himself.
  10. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I read the first two books over two weeks when I was hellishly busy and they were still mesmerizing. Then finished the second one and headed straight out to buy the third, which I'm in the middle of.

Daniel Craig sounds good to me, yumm, but not Carey Mulligan, although she was great in An Education. If ever there was a role for a young Mia Farrow-type, but with more guts, this is it. It's a shame P!nk is too old. :D
  11. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true - Noomi R is just amazing.
    When I saw a sneak preview of the second movie, they first showed a one hour documentary on Larsson.
    One of his friends said yes Larsson is Blomquist, other than sleeping with all the women, that was something he wanted, but didn't do. Cute comment.
    Noomi was also interviewed, very lovely, more girly than in the movie.

I really felt in the 2nd and 3rd book many folks were introduced, that if there were the 10 books, some of them would be popping up at various times. It was too many people, but I loved it.

Berger - great character, really enjoyed her in the 3rd book. Again, so many cool characters and want to read more!!

Also they left out Lisbeth's surgery in the movie - it amused me how it helped her.
  12. genevieve

Oh, I definitely enjoyed it as well, and am looking forward to the 3rd movie. My friend and I had a lively discussion about how impossible it would be to include everything - but we did feel that reading the books is pretty critical to getting a lot of details that are just suggested (which I think is true of most faithful adaptations).

Of all the American actresses out there, if they are going to go with a name (and they are), I think Natalie Portman would be the best, but they'd have to let her look not-US-version-of-pretty, and I don't see that happening in what will surely be a blockbuster.
  13. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Natalie was grungy in a period movie with Javier Bardem, blanking on the name right now.
  14. HisWeirness

Just looked it up - Goya's Ghosts
  15. Holley Calmes

I had mentioned upthread how perfect Natalie would have been for this with her "Leon" waif-like character. Of course she was very, very young there, but Lisbeth is also a character many people perceive as a child at first glance....I like Natalie, but her image is just so glamorous now. I wish they could find some struggling young ingenue who could bring Lisbeth to life without the viewer wondering if the actress is still dating the NYC Ballet soloist. (I do wonder myself, actually...)
  16. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. genevieve

True - but that was a smaller film. This is being set up as a major film with high $$ expectations.

^ This.

Totally.
  18. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

How about Dakota Fanning as the lead? She's a great actress!
  19. Holley Calmes

I would infintely prefer to read subtitles than watch a Hollywood hash-up of this incredible story!
    smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  20. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I just finished all 3 books. I didn't know that it was a trilogy when I saw the first movie and when I heard there were 3 books, I was at the book store the same day and got all 3. I loved those books.

I heard this role was one of the most coveted in Hollywood and everyone was interested, including Natalie Portman, and the other youngish girls. To me, the Swedish girl, Noomi whatever, was perfect for this part.

I cringe at an American remake, but would for sure go see it. Sometimes they can surprise you. Do you think they'd even keep it Swedish? Sometimes that is a stretch for them. I never understand why subtitles are so hard. I get used to them almost right away.

Going back to TGWTDT, I also laughed in the theatre when Lisbeth ran after the SUV with her golf club. It was right after the Elin Nordgren and Tiger episode and my first thought was, wow, those Swedish girls, LOL!!!
  21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw this movie on streaming Netflix and really enjoyed it, despite the subtitles. They didn't distract me.
  22. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

Itunes even has an English dubbed version so its not like its impossible for people to lazy to read subtitles to watch.
  23. Nan

Nan Just me

I ordered this from Amazon just three days ago and I am (im)patiently awaiting delivery.
  24. HisWeirness

She agrees:

Carey Mulligan will not play Lisbeth
  25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Ellen Page would do a great job but for the best results it might be better to go with someone new, someone the public doesn't have much of an idea of.
  26. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I've read the books and recently watched the 1st movie with subtitles and thoroughly enjoyed it even though there were quite a few changes and omissions. I thought that if hollywood were to produce it, it wouldn't be very watchable especially with big name stars.............who is tiny and could play Lisbeth?............Ellen Page is the only one I could remotely imagine in that role.........I think she has the little anorexic girl look and the acting skills to do it justice. If an english language film is made, either in Hollywood or Britain, I certainly hope that they will perhaps be more true to the actual books. I would definitely go see them.
  27. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

After seeing the Swedish original, I cringe at the idea of Hollywood remaking it, with ANYONE. Noomi Rapace owns the part. I'm not sure whether I would bother to see the remake, or if I would just netflix the original again.
  28. Nan

Nan Just me

This arrived from Amazon yesterday and I watched it last night. There were parts left out, but the bones of the story were there and the leading lady did a very good job. I'm not sure someone who did not read the book would get as much from it, but I will certainly watch it again.
  29. genevieve

Agree that if Hollywood was smart, they would just get Noomi Rapace to star in the US version too. They're not going to find someone to do better, and really, the series has a built-in mass audience. They don't need a star do get people to go see it. I can live with them filling the Mikael role with a name actor as long as it's not someone way too pretty or young to be believable.
  30. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I read an article a week or two ago that said Noomi Rapace said she wasn't interested in reprising her role as Salander in a U.S. version. That disappoints me... she's fab!
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I just saw the second film and think Noomi Rapace is brilliant. I agree with genevieve that finding someone to fit her shoes will be next to impossible.
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  32. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

33. genevieve

34. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

:::shudder::: I'm not opposed to the American film at all and think Fincher could do a really good job with the story, but KStew as Lisbeth would completely turn me off wanting to see it. Bleah. I've heard they're determined to go with a relative unknown for Salander, and I so hope that's true.
  35. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

And Craig is a great actor. Saw him on Broadway last year with Hugh Jackman, both playing americans and cops.
  36. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I agree that he is a much better choice than Brad Pitt although Brad Pitt really is a great actor and not just a pretty boy.

Ellen Paige would be great for Lisbeth IMO. Not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart...
  37. genevieve

I agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor...just not right for the role.

I've been going back and forth about Ellen Page. She is physically a good match, and anyone who has seen Hard Candy knows that she can handle dark material well (and rock short hair). My only fear about her is that she now has something of a "persona" in the films she's in, and I'm worried that, with her being a new Hollywood darling, she would not be allowed to take the character as far away from that persona (both physically and character-wise) as she would have been able to a couple of years ago.

I keep reminding myself that David Fincher is directing, and he does not shy away from difficulty, so hopefully it will be ok even if we end up with the dreaded KS
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  38. HisWeirness

While I was watching Inception last weekend I was looking at her and though that physically she would be a good match for Lisbeth because she is very young looking and small-built.
  39. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Definitely. I like Ellen Page better than any of the other big-name possibilities I've heard.

I have no strong opinion on Daniel Craig one way or the other, which is probably just as well. At least it's not Brad Pitt -- nothing against him, but I couldn't picture him in that role at all. I always pictured Edward Norton when I was reading the book.
  40. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Also, if anyone has seen Ellen Page in Hard Candy, knows she can do intense roles. She was only 18 when she made that movie.

Oops, you beat me to it. :lol:

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.