The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--the movie

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by IceAlisa, Mar 24, 2010.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Who wants to see it? It opens widely in April, I believe.

I finished the book a few weeks ago and wouldn't mind seeing it on the big screen.

The trailer.

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I'm seeing it Friday.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Cool! Let us know what you think.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I saw it on Saturday. Odd mix of slavishly following the book and then weird departures for the sake of condensing the story. And it's still about 2 hr 45 minutes long.

Best thing about the film is the 2 lead performances, especially the actress who plays Lisbeth. And the scenery is amazing. But as so often happens with adaptations of books, I came away feeling like they assumed 99% of the film audience would have read the book, so they hinted at things from the book and figure our brains will just fill in the rest.

Some changes (spoilered for those haven't read the book):

They eliminated Mikael's affairs with Erika Berger and Cecelia Vanger, which I can understand, but both are completely sidelined as characters. Erika is barely in the film and comes across as a desperate, clingy simpering woman, which couldn't be further from her book character.

Salander's history in mental institutions is brought up several times, but her character isn't given the depth and nuance as in the book.

The scenes with Salander and Nils Bjurman are....a bit mishandled IMO. First one is ok, but when she goes to his apartment, there are some changes in the way it's handled. Not as brutal as in the book (which was ok with me as I didn't really want to see that depicted). We see her going home and that the events had an effect on her, but nothing like the book. When she returns, it's depicted as her showing up uninvited to his home and he's angry; in the book he demanded that she show up again, which made her next actions all the more intense. Overall effect was that what she did to him was worse than what he did to her... perhaps that was the desired effect - people in the audience cheered when she tattooed him - but it felt a bit off.

Timelines in the film are also compartmentalized. Once the big scene happens with Bjurman, we never see or hear about him again, done deal. Also, Blomkvist's jail time happens at the end of the film instead of in the middle, and Salander visits her mother at the end too (in the film Lisbeth has never visited her mom in the hospital; in the book she goes every year on her birthday).

The Millenium part of the story is largely ignored. Nothing about the book that comes out in the end. Brief nod to Wennerstrom's comeuppance but due to a new article rather than the book. Nothing about Millenium's $$ woes or H. Vanger joining the board.

There's a key scene from salander's childhood from the 2nd book that plays out throughout the film - definitely a setup for a 2nd film.

Overall I enjoyed the film and am glad I saw it. I know a US version is in process and I shudder to think about how awful it will be, mostly because you know it will have name stars in it. :scream:

5. shells

shells New Member

Thanks for sharing :)

I wondered how they'd fit everything in. And also how they'd handle the scenes with Bjurman. For some reason I thought those would be the scenes they left out. But that would make a movie of The Girl Who Played With Fire a little confusing, so I guess they couldn't.

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, genevieve. There is a US production in process? :scream: That makes me gag in anticipation.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

yep...I'm trying to block the idea of Kristen Stewart in the lead role. :yikes:

(I don't think the roles have been cast yet, just imagining the horror)

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ugh.

9. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago. I belong to a film club that sees movies before release, with a college prof and discussion after. It is held Sunday am, so most folks are older. I loved the movie and the club as a whole seemed to love it - applause at the end, which rarely happens. Also due to some graphic scenes, suprising as sometimes someone is upset and complains.
    I have not read the book, but plan to. I understand certain things were left out. I found the movie to be a great thriller.
    Bummed to hear about an American remake, rumor is Brad Pitt or George Clooney - NO!
    Wish people would just see the original and read the subtitles.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Dragged hubby to see it today after work ("Is this a chick flick?"--"You'll see.") Now he can't stop talking about it. He hadn't read the book and had a lot of questions. Most of them were answered by the book. So ITA that the makers of the movie assume you've read the book because on their own some things really don't add up.

For instance:
    when Lisbeth walks away in the final shot all blonde and glamorous, hubby thought that she used Winnerstrom's money to clean up her Goth look and start a new life. I had to explain that was just a disguise to look presentable to the bankers and to get the :bribe: out.

But the good news is that the casting was perfect.

11. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I've seen to movie & liked it a lot.
    I am as well scared of US production.
    I read somewhere that Tarantion wants to direct, Brad Pitt to produce and play the lead character.

12. Nan

Nan Just me

I wish it was possible for me to do that, too!

13. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

It's telling that no woman seems to be a front-runner for the female protagonist in the US remake of TGWTDT. She HAS to be fierce - really fierce - or it won't work. And how many younger American women actors fit that bill? One movie reviewer I heard interviewed questioned whether the egos of the actors being considered would permit the female lead to be as strong as she was in the book. I can see them rewriting it to make him the savior of her. *sigh*.

I'll have to sit down and figure out if US remakes of ANYTHING have ever been better than the original...

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What? Kristen Stewart is not fierce enough? :rofl: Kidding.
    I think that The Point Of No Return with Bridget Fonda, Gabriel Byrne, Anne Bancroft and Harvey Keitel was better than the original French La Femme Nikita. That's the only one I can think of though.

BTW, Bridget Fonda at the age when she did The Point would have been perfect for the role of Lisbeth.

15. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Ooh, I'm reading the book now and was coincidentally thinking it would make a great movie. Then I happened to catch Run, Lola, Run last night and it occurred to me that Franka Potente would make a great Lisbeth Salander.

Didn't know it had already been made into a movie - thanks for the heads-up! :)

16. shells

shells New Member

I can't find any trace of it here, I'm hoping I might get lucky when I'm visiting my mom next week and we'll be able to find it somewhere. She has read the book too, so I don't think I'd have a hard time talking her into going.

17. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I really want to watch it but I don't think it's going to show here ever. So, it will be on my Netflix que soon.

I loved the books, and can't wait until the third one comes out in a month or so.

18. my little pony

I'm pretending you didnt type that :drama:

the scene where Lisbeth goes after Martin's SUV with a golf club reminded people of Elin Woods, most of the theater burst out laughing. I heard some people say, oh it's a Swedish thing, lol.

19. shells

shells New Member

She went after his SUV? Didn't she go after HIM with the golf club in the book or am I mis-remembering?

20. my little pony

after she hit him in the head with the club in the house, he ran out of the house and got in his SUV. she chased him and hit the windows with the club, then chased him on her motorcycle

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I could see a slightly older Natalie Portman AS SHE WAS IN "THE PROFESSIONAL" before she got glammed. I loved "The Professional" or "Leon," if you like.

I just had the misfortune to watch the dvd of New Moon and thought I would die of boredom. If I want to roll around in teen angst, I'll just go watch some of my young ballet company's emerging choreography works. They're much better art! Truly, Kristen is a nice kid and so are those lovely boys, but that movie bored the heck out of me. I kept asking "When is this plotless damn thing going to be over, and why does this girl only have one facial expression?"

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

A bit of a sidebar since I haven't read the books nor seen any of the movies:

The first movie was made for the big screen, and the other two was made for Swedish TV (and the quality apparently goes down accordingly). All three are out in Sweden (the TV run started two weeks ago). I generally :rolleyes: at remaking all foreign movies into American ones for the American audience (if reading the subtitles is an issue, which it is for those with bad eyesight, maybe dubbing would be a solution?), but I sort of doubt #2 and #3 would fly as big screen movies outside of Sweden. :shuffle:

23. Icetalavista

I just saw it and think that the use of material from book 2 (which I haven't read yet) to help explain Lisbeth's reactions and background made a lot of sense.

The casting was great, esp the leads.

I was amazed at how much detail from the book I'd forgotten. The omissions mentioned in the spoiler space above don't detract at all from the movie IMHO.

It was a long movie but so much happens it felt like the right length.

24. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I'm reading the book now and loving it, but I'm hesitant to see the movie because
    I hate seeing movies where an animal is killed. Can anyone tell me if they kept the scene where the dismembered cat is left on the porch in the film?

I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to these things.

25. Icetalavista

Impromptu - no, they do not keep that scene in.

Impromptu and (deleted member) like this.
  26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That did not happen in the movie, Impromptu. Ooops, Icetalavista beat me to it.

Impromptu and (deleted member) like this.
  27. MKDaneher

MKDaneher New Member

Saw TGWTDT with my sister. We were both impressed with how much of the original material made it into the movie, although they did monkey around a bit with the timeline.

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" is due to be released July 2. I read the 2nd book so quickly that I am re-reading it so that all the connections of who is out to get/kill whom stay fresh in my ming ;)

28. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I get to see it this week - just in time to get me all excited again for the release of the 3rd book. :cheer2: I can't even begin to tell you how much I am in love with the character of Lisbeth Salander.

This saddens me, as I quite like
    Erika Berger.

I will ignore any US attempt at a remake, just as I ignored The Birdcage because I knew it couldn't live up to the French original of La Cage Aux Folles. :p

Do you know if this includes release in the US?

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Who wants to bet that the US version will include hand to hand combat, explosions and possibly even ninjas? And you are correct about The Birdcage and La Cage Aux Folles.

Wiki says TGWPWF releases in the fall of 2010 in the US.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  30. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

I do believe they cast Carey Mulligan in the lead role for the American version. IMDB says its coming out in 2012