The future of korean skating?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by riveredge, Aug 16, 2011.

1. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Haejin Kim

SP http://www.youtube.com/user/JewelskatersCross#p/search/0/-_5mSebYxXU
    LP http://www.youtube.com/user/JewelskatersCross#p/u/8/WzUXF5EM7UE

So Yeon Park

SP http://www.youtube.com/user/JewelskatersCross#p/search/1/4A8Pl0whL6k
    LP http://www.youtube.com/user/JewelskatersCross#p/u/2/eQnEDX_R9e0

i know it's early to tell, and obviously they will need a lot of improvements but i think Korean skating is bright..espcially Pyeongchang will host the 2018 olympics..both are only 13 years old. i believe Haejin Kim is already skating to 3-3.. i think she competed in New Zealand winter games..and i believe she attempted a 3F+3Lo in both her programs..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

I really liked Hyeon-Jung Kim when I saw her skate a few years ago. Is she still skating?

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  4. icellist

icellist Member

lol, i was just about to make a thread like this

i think haejin kim doesn't have the technique and basics to survive a growth spurt, but we'll just have to see. So Yeon Park is the one to look out for with better edges and stronger technique. i'm hoping the year before these two girls are elgible for worlds, yuna and min jeong can scrape the 13 placement and get 3 spots for the next worlds (or better yet in 2017 for pyeongyang)

dong won lee is something to look out for but he'll be overshadowed by nathan chen/nam nyugen unfortunately.

but... go kwak min jeong and so yeon park!

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

6. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yeon-Jun PARK’s free skate (choreographed by Karen Kwan):
    Asian Trophy 2011, Ladies FS, Yeon-Jun PARK

Han YAN's winning free skate: He fell on the opening 3a, then landed a 4t. He moves so well. A great skate!
    Asian Trophy 2011, Men FS, Han YAN

Podium finishers:
    Senior Men
    1. Han YAN (CHN) 194.31 (2/1)
    2. Misha GE (UZB) 169.22 (1/4)
    3. Yuhang GUAN (CHN) 169.47 (3/2)
    Senior Ladies
    1. Yeon-Jun PARK (KOR) 132.84 (2/1)
    2. Jialei WANG (CHN) 123.60 (1/2)
    3. Min-Jeong KWAK (KOR) 114.90 (3/4)
    Junior Men
    1. Boyang JIN (CHN) 177.17 (1/1)
    2. Jun-Hyoung LEE (KOR) 159.86 (3/2)
    3. Dong-Won LEE (KOR) 159.47 (2/3)
    Junior Ladies
    1. Hae-Jin KIM (KOR) 139.61 (1/1)
    2. So-Yeon PARK (KOR) 125.70 (3/2)
    3. Hinano ISOBE (JPN) 123.27 (2/3)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  7. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Hyeon-Jung Kim has retired from competitive skating. She’s a college student now and coaches and choreographs for junior skaters including her brother Hwan-Jin.

Yeon-Jun Park in an interview and the senior ladies medal ceremony:
    Asian Trophy 2011, Interview with Ladies Winner and Award Ceremony

Korea now has some depth in junior ladies: Hae-Jin, So-Yeon, Ho-Jung and Yeon-Jun are all born in 1997.

After watching Han Yan’s FS for the second time, at this rate I won’t be surprised to see him develop into a medal contender at Sochi. His skating I think is better than Plush’s or Chan’s at the same age.

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Who is this girl? I've never seen her before.
    Does this mean she is eligible for next Worlds in coming season?

9. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I liked both Yeon Jun Park and Hae Jin Kim at the Asian Trophy. I also noticed Da Bin Choi (won the Novice Ladies and already has a 3Lz and 3F). Dong Won Lee and June Hyeong Lee (both in junior men) have some potential as well, but obviously were overshadowed by Boyang Jin (CHN).
    I didn't see much improvement from Min Seok Kim (senior men), though.

10. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

On another note, I heard that the Korean Federation has been asked to get a pair and a dance couple ready in time for 2018. :)

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  11. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Although Yeon-Jun competed at senior level at this particular event, she’s not age eligible for senior WC. Korea earned 5 JGP ladies spots but has only 1 JWC spot, by way of Ho-Jung Lee’s 23rd place finish at 2011 JWC. It means all of the junior ladies compete for one JWC spot at a January 2012 domestic event.

Korea’s 5 JGP spots are currently filled by Hae-Jin (2), So-Yeon (2) and Ho-Jung (1). Yeon-Jun finished 4th at the domestic qualifying event for selecting the 2012 JGP participants, so we won’t see her at an international event in 2011 as she has slim chance to fill in as a substitute.

Yeon-Jun was plagued by foot injury during 2010-2011 season, and consequently slumped. Her skating is improving now, and I think she has nice carriage and presentation. Her competing in the JGP circuit is unlikely this season, but I hope to see more of her in the future.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  12. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I really want to see that happen. But for that to happen, they need a rink dedicated for figure skaters’ use. Until now Korean figure skaters have to practice at odd hours, and even in those hours they share the rink with speed skaters. How can they have a decent pair or dancing team when they can’t secure enough ice time cleared for pair’s throws or ice dancer’s free skating? Seriously, I envy Georgia and Elene for having that new rink opened.

I hope Yu-Na’s efforts for a figure skating rink have a breakthrough, sooner than later. Given the steep prices of land in Korea, she cannot do it alone. Some Korean local government, either the City of Seoul or the Province of Gyounggi, should take an initiative, or at least give a help. So far, none of the politicians or local/government entities, that have called her for their publicity events and photo sessions, has lived up to the promises. :mad:

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

The young Korean girls are all very impressive but I think it might be too soon to tell with any of them as they all still look prepubescent and we all know how puberty monster can change things drastically. Min-Jung is the only one who appears to be past her big growthspurt, and even though she looks much stronger now, a lot of her jumps seemed iffy in that video. It might just be because of her injury, though.

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I am so pleased that Yu-Na Kim has committed to remain eligible through until 2017! :cheer2:

:p

15. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

That's a bummer. She has decent qualities and competing on the JGP could facilitate her development. Hopefully, 3 girls will do well and give more spots so a girl like Yeon-Jun can compete next season.

16. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Aside from training facilities, Korea lacks in number of boys taking up the sport. You may decide to train overseas or just buy your way to more ice time if really needed, but you can't put together pairs or dance team without boys.

I doubt they will put together a decent pair or dance team in time for Pyongchang 2018. Matching what Japanese did with their effort to come up with pairs and ice dance in Nagano 1998 will be a huge success IMO.

Bureaucrats can ponder sitting in their desks all they want, but building pair and dance teams take things that are out of their reach, like lots of time and long-term committment to relationships.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

JGP spots are based on JW results.

18. lakewood

lakewood New Member

KSU may consider the option of giving Korean citizenship to foreign (male) skaters just as Russia did to Kavaguti. (But, I am not sure current Korean law allows it) Russian federation recently decided to give citizenship to a super excellent Korean short tracker for Socchi.

19. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Scott! :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

These young Korean girls move around quite well for their age. And very impressive to have the big triples, some presence and musicality already.

They seem to be a more hopeful bunch than the Chinese girls at this stage (maybe except Li Zijun).

21. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

In theory, it is definitely possible, but we have to remember that it is the same Korean Federation that squandered one of the most celebrated speed skaters ever to the Russians. I just can't imagine the same incompetent organization pulling the same thing that was done to them. If they had been anything close to capable, Russians would've never been able to snatch away the speed skater.

Only plausible way of Koreans having pairs and ice dance team I can imagine is having the dear leader in the north of demilitarized zone lend their skaters for the games. :shuffle: IIRC, North Koreans had a pair represent them in Torino. I heard that the dear leader :scream: is fond of figure skating, so it could be possible that they have pairs and dance program of some sort.

22. michelle K

michelle K Active Member

Or two Koreas could be reunified before 2018,,, ;)

23. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

It would be nice in some ways, but I wouldn't bet on such dramatic change of events.;)

24. michelle K

michelle K Active Member

On a more serious note, I think Korea can develop a decent ice dancing team with proper planning and support. It's kind of weired Korea has no ice dancing teams now when there used to be at least one ice dancing team (regardless of their skill level) competing internationally in the past.

Pairs, I think, is a really different story. KSU cannot grant citizenship to a foreign skater even if they want to. Anyone here remember Chun-Kun Lee and Kate Slattery? I heard they even wrote a letter to the President but could not get her Korean citizenship. It looks like having a foreign skater representing Korea will require immigration law revisions or making exceptions to the current rules.

25. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I don't remember their story too well, but I think it was the Korean Federation being unhappy with Lee leaving his Korean partner and choosing to skate with a foreigner rather than a citizenship issue. They could have had them represent Korea in Worlds, though Olympics would have been a different story.

26. Sulphur

Sulphur New Member

Korea did have a couple of pairs team in the past, and they competed internationally time to time I hear. But last time I heard the federation did not want to force any singles skaters to take up pairs or ice dancing just for the sake of PC 2018. There has been quite a lot of people talking about the possibility of Hyeon Jung Kim doing pairs because she looked very fit for the discipline(tiny, twig-skinny, light feet, and has a decent 3T and 3S), but then she retired. Oh well.

27. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

There were some Korean officials mentioning the possibility of the two Koreas organizing a unified delegation for 2018 as they did in (IIRC) Barcelona Olympics. Wouldn’t it be special, if the sides join to make a pair team and skate to the tune of, say, I Don’t Know Enough About You, or, Long Live My Dear Leader.

I guess it’s unlikely to happen though, since a pair or a dancing team would need years of working together.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

So, the plan would be something like;
    1) South Korea gets Hyun-Jung Kim to come out of retirement, and North Korea comes up with a guy.
    2) Build a rink somewhere in the demilitarized zone and have them work their little butts off for 6 years.
    3) They compete under unified flag of some sort in PC.
    4) Skate to I Don’t Know Enough About You for SP, and Long Live My Dear Leader :scream: for LP.
    It makes sense to me.:respec::respec:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  29. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Impeccable!

When they build the rink in DMZ, I would move with them to that pristine land with the best set of mops I could get my hand on, and volunteer to be a human Zamboni. I will work hard. And I believe it could only help my life expectancy. I guess all I need to watch out for is some mines here and there, and some occasional encounter with an unfriendly bear.

As for the SP, I prefer a Krall version to a Lee version, as it's more acidic of the two to better suit the occasion. :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  30. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

You have my full support. Here it goes.
    5) lowtherlore becomes a human zamboni and gets to chose the music in return for the service.:D