The Fourth and Final Season of The Tudors

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

It was great having Natalie Dormer and Maria Doyle Kennedy coming back. And it's a shame the series isn't continuing with Edward's rule, although you could have guessed it was going to end with Henry the minute they amalgamated Henry's sisters and eliminated all hints of Frances Brandon and Jane Grey from the storyline. I would have loved to have seen Anne Stanhope (well played by Emma Hamilton)and Catherine Parr's catfight, the Seymour brothers' rivalry, and Mary's bloody reign.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Ditto. Maybe the series should've just been titled ' Henry VIII' after all, it was really about him and ends with his death. It appeared to be a JRM vehicle at the expense of everything else.

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

There were times when it did seem like a JRM vehicle, unfortunately.

But I will always remember this as the series that introduced me to Natalie Dormer :D I really hope her career takes off. She's so damned talented (and gorgeous :swoon:).

4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true. I remember seeing the first ads for this show and it said something about how it all really began, and was hoping it was beginning with Henry's parents or even before.
    N Dormer and M Doyle Kennedy were marvelous, as were others. I always thought if they went far enough M Doyle Kennedy could play Bloody Mary.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is my beef too - Henry's father is practically lost in history, and yet he had a rather spectacular beginning and then a solid reign in which he achieved a lot. It seems that the modern history of Henry VIII only begins at the moment when he meets Anne - and it's almost impossible to find any in depth info on his childhood and family life and its later influence, the impact of being the second son, his long first marriage (and for many years happy, from what I can tell), the importance of the men in his inner circle (and how they got there), the political turning points (other than the break with Rome, done to death) ... so much to tell, and such a missed opportunity by this series as it's never really been done before.

And JRM would have been perfectly cast :)

6. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I try not to think about what could have been, because I know it could have been spectacular.

But then he wouldn't have had nearly as many sex scenes as Henry VII as he ended up with as Henry VIII. Henry VII was faithful to Elizabeth of York for the entirety of their marriage. Ultimately, I think sex is what Showtime was going for, and might be the reason why the series won't go any further. Because I don't think sex scenes for Edward or Mary would go over very well. Elizabeth could have had some fun ones though.

7. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

If they wanted sex, then getting Henry's sister correct would have been critical ... so they could bring in both Mary Stuart and the marital adventures of Ladies Catherine and Mary Grey (as part of the sequel series).

8. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

The dream sequence with Henry and the horse was a bit over the top but JRM sure looked stunning in all that black leather. :D

I would have liked to see the series continue, but 4 seasons is about the length of time most series last.

On to the next...

9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Henry was actually married to Katherine of Aragon for longer than all the other wives put together. I agree than there is lots of interesting stuff there that gets ignored far too often.

I'm still waiting for a later 14th century Plantagenet saga- Edward 111 with all his sons and their family intrigues- Joan of Kent, Katherine Swynford, John of Gaunt, the Black Prince, Alice Perrers- there's a lot going on there, and great fashions as well!

10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

A segment where Michael Hirst describes the succession after Henry's death. Um, Seymour/Hertdord (Somerset at the time) had nothing to do with the Lady Jane Grey affair. He was already executed and it was his successor who had engineered it. And while we're at it, why not mention that she was Brandon's granddaughter and it was in Henry's Will that Brandon's children with Mary were next in line after Elizabeth.

ETA: A link would help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sE44qlMvzs

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010