The Fourth and Final Season of The Tudors

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AragornElessar, Apr 3, 2010.

1. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It starts up next weekend, so I thought I'd start the thread. Not that I'll get to see it until next Fall on the CBC, but I can live vicariously through all of you. :)

The Season Four Trailer over at YouTube

I love the look The Lady Mary gives Kitty Howard after the "You are now my Stepdaughter" line. Very much like a hawk looking down on a mouse it's about to nail. :D

I've always felt the most sorry for Catherine Howard out of all of Henry's Queens. Yes, in their ways all of them were pawns for power, but I've always felt that Kitty was the only one that truly was used. She was so young, w/out much training, cast aside due to her circumstances and so eager for attention that when she was singled out by the Duke of Norfolk for a second chance of power by putting a Howard girl on the Consort's throne beside Henry...She really didn't have much of a chance. At least IMO.

I'm sorry we won't be going into Edward, Mary and Elizabeth's reigns, but the last four years has been an awful lot of fun!! Oh and I've also seen the Season Four Opening Credits over there at YouTube and it's about flipping time Sarah Bolger is on them!! She's been such an outstanding Lady/Princess Mary Tudor, she should have been there back in Season Two, but w/out a doubt last Season. At least she's finally there for the Final one.
  2. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

I too am sad that we aren't going to at least get a season of Edward and then transferring to Mary's reign. I think that would be quite fascinating.

Also pleased that Sarah Bolger is finally on the credits! She is absolutely wonderful and I too had to watch the clip over again of where she just stares at Catherine with disdain.

Can't wait for the season!
  3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Here are spoiler summaries (the digital press kit has more)

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/div.php/showtime/original?id=6404&dpid=51

In terms of the cast/characters, gone are:

Francis Bryan
    Catherine Willoughby, even though Willoughby is supposed to be a good friend of Catherine Parr's.

In are:

Henry Howard, playing the schemer instead of his father.
    Thomas Culpeper, who looks like Zach Efron/Chace Crawford.
    Francis Dereham, played by Allen Leech (Agrippa in Rome)
  4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I heard Catherine Willoughby is gone because the actress does not do sex scenes. (I did laugh at the comment on the historical "facts" that said that she lived apart from her husband the rest of their marriage because she was bored with him or something.)

She's one of my favorite historical characters, so I was a bit upset! But I'll get over it. They trashed the character anyway, making her a whiny brat. :p

I love Sarah Bolger as Mary. She is fantastic.
  5. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Katherine Howard the granddaughter of the Duke of Norfolk, and first cousin of Anne Boleyn is portrayed as coming from a "low" background? Okay,she wasn't royalty (only 2 of his wives were), but her background was more noble than any of his other English wives. Sigh. I know it's never been true to history, but can't they at least try for a LITTLE accuracy?
  6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I think she was considered low for being a poor relation of the Howards, living in what was essentially a boarding house of poor relations, and not being as educated as the other wives.
  7. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I hope that the last season is better than the 3rd, the trailer gives me that impression. It seems to have a bit of the 2nd seasons tension which will hopefully make it fun to watch!!
  8. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Yeah I kinda lost interest during the 3rd season. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't great. I think part of the problem was there was no Natalie Dormer :(

The first episode of the season is up on youtube! It's interesting, to say the least lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOV9_ofgSbk

And I agree that Sarah Bolger is amazing.
  9. AragornElessar

I just tried it and got a message that since it's content from CBS, is blocked from my country due to copyright restrictions.

Damn!! Could someone in the States please see if it's still up for viewing please? I have a friend in San Diego who is battling Terminal Cancer, can't afford Showtime and, I hate saying this, from the way things are going...She won't be here come December and the release of the DVD's.

If this is still up over there, then at least she'll be able to see this much of Season Four. Thanks in advance.
  10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I also lost interest during season 3. I began the season and got to 2-3 episodes and then just never watched again. I still want to finish, I liked it enough but other things just took my mind off the show. I got so interested in the Tudors with all my books and such that it was probably too much.
  12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

AragornElessar, it is indeed still up for me. I hope your friend is able to see it.
  13. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

even though I know what happens i still am excited! and ITA about loosing natalie dormer and my interest ( however she dies what esle could they do??) lol maybe they can do a pre- quil and do her life - that would be fasinating!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. AragornElessar

Thanks and I hope she can see it too.

You know...I'm obviously in the Minority here, as I didn't think that Season Three was all *that* bad. Not as good as the first two years, but not as bad as some are making it out to be.

That's just me obviously from what I've been reading here.
  15. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Watched the episode on youtube and I think already its going to be better than the 3rd season. Lots of tension!
  16. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

You can also watch it on Showtime's site and VuReel. I don't know if they fall under the same restrictions as the youtube one, but it's worth a try, right?

Showtime
    VuReel
  17. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Good, I was getting tired of that eye-patch :p
  18. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

So, I assume the final season will end with the death of Henry VIII? I believe it was mentioned in a previous thread that the show is ending because of JRM.
  19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I missed this: is JRM wrapping up because of another project?
    Started watching the episode where Henry first notices Katherine Howard. Kinda blah.
  20. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Yes, it ends with his death.

I'm not sure why the series is ending. I wish they would have more episodes for Katherine Parr considering how fascinating she was but I guess they wanted to use two seasons to cover Katherien of Aragon and Anne Boleyn (I wish they used KoA better, showed her younger, and their relationship but I digress).
  21. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I heard it was really an expensive series to make. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I found S3 a little less interesting than S1 and S2, also. I just couldn't get into the rebellion of the north and Suffolk's tortured conscience. Give me sex over violence any day. :)
  22. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Price could be one factor, but then again Showtime announced they're making another Renaissance era series, this time about the Borgias (with Jeremy Irons playing Rodrigo/Pope Alexander VI).
  23. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Huh. The Borgias sounds like it could be interesting!

And through looking for information about it, I came across another interesting thing being worked on that fans of The Tudors might be excited to watch.

Apparently, Showtime developed an interest in a series about Camelot a few years ago, but didn't go forward with it. Starz now has the US rights to it, and is a development stage at this point. But from all reports, it should premier in 2011. The way it's described is a little confusing though. The goal of the series is "to tell the universal story of Camelot on a global scale." Does that mean it's set in the 21st century? Or does that merely mean that they're making it more modern for the audience, but still set in the past, a la The Tudors?
    Camelot
  24. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Wheee, more possibilities of period series... I'm loving it. These shows feed my love of history and helps convince me more and more to pursue my dream of getting a PHD in history once all my kids are in school full time (my youngest starts kinder this fall!!!).
  25. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

You go! WHEE! That sounds so exciting!

I plan on getting a MA in History eventually. With Catherine Willoughby as my thesis topic, thus my annoyance with Michael Hirst for season 4 of this show. :rofl:

I'd love some more period shows. Honestly, I'd love a great movie about Mary. Sarah Bolger has done a fantastic job on the show and I've always been intrigued by her.
  26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Anyone watch last night?

I'm not wild about the characterization of Kitty Howard. I know she was young, but did she really have the reputation of being THAT silly and immature? After all she was 17, not 10. And I don't recall Sir Culpepper being a rapist, either. I'm certainly no expert on Tudor history, but I don't recall ever running across that in anything I've read.

As good as JRM looks, it's going to be hard to justify Kitty's affair with Culpepper in my mind. It would be more understandable if Henry were portrayed as the fat, stinky old man that he was by the time he married Kitty. However, I'm glad that JRM isn't fat and stinky. :swoon:

And might I add that Henry Cavill is looking mighty :grope: this season, too.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  27. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I have seen her birth listed in a range from 1521 to 1525 so I guess its possible that she was 14 or 15 when she married Henry. Yikes.
    She also was not raised with much supervision so that could explain the childish behavior.
  28. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

From what I've read, she was the least educated of Henry's wives and, as Rob pointed out, there wasn't much adult supervision when she was living with the duchess.

I wish they'd have introduced the son of the Duke of Norfolk last year, since it was the Howards who schemed to put Kitty in Henry's way and who played a large role in suppressing the Pilgrimage of Grace. It would have made more sense to have them than Francis Bryan.
  29. CarolineL

CarolineL Member

Culpepper was indeed accused of raping a woman and then killing her husband. Henry let him get away with it because he was close to him (bet he regretted that later). Never felt sorry for Culpepper because of this.

And Catherine was raised with zero supervision and was allowed to run wild until she was suddenly taken to court and paraded in front of Henry. She had zero preparation for what she was suddenly pushed into. I feel terrible for her. At least Anne Boleyn had a brain and knew what she was getting into, Catherine had no choice, and once people from her past kept showing up and blackmailing her, she must have been completely panicking
  30. Kukucachoo

Kukucachoo New Member

Oh I dunno....Pride and Prejudice and Zombies seems to have a following: Maybe Anne could have the ultimate revenge;).
  31. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm certainly no expert and the Culpepper/rapist/murder thing was something I had never run across in my very limited reading. I know that sometimes TPTB add inaccuracies to make the show more exciting/whatnot. Wasn't sure if this was the case, but now I know.
  32. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

What isn't very realistic is Henry's appearance on the Showtime series: by the time he was married to Anne of Cleves and Catherine Howard, Henry had become immensely obese. Yet on TV, Henry is only very subtly aged and still slim.

Catherine was indeed allowed to run wild when under her grandmother's supervision; her mother had died when Catherine was a young child. She was brought to court by scheming relatives who saw a chance to further their own power by making her Henry's fifth wife.
  33. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Not only that, JRM is a pretty short and delicately built guy whereas Henry's skeleton alone was 6 feet, suggesting a much greater height.
  34. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Most serious historians put the date at the 1520-21 end of things, making her in her late teens on her marriage, possibly even into her very early 20s by the time of her death. Still young, but hardly a child.
  35. AragornElessar

And all of that, is why out of all of Henry's Queens, Kitty Howard is the one I feel the most sorry for. She really was a lamb sent to the slaughter in every sense of the word. :(
  36. AragornElessar

37. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think anyone who watches it is well aware of the facts of Henry's appearance, and of course it makes for a more appealing story when he's played by a handsome actor.

However, I do think there's another benefit to this casting. Over time, there are really three things about Henry that have stuck: had six wives, broke with Rome, and was a big fat turkey-leg chomping pig.

Much has been forgotten about who and what Henry truly was. Even as I loathe many of the plot decisions made by the writers/producers of this series, I do applaud the casting as a way to remind us visually that Henry was much more than the stereotypes. And the facts do remain that he was attractive to women - as his looks deteriorated, he still had the power of course, plus he had a magnetic personality that attracted both women and men to his circle, helping him get things done through their loyalty and devotion.

By casting a physically attractive actor, you get the effect of the power of Henry's persona in his time, even as he grew old, ugly and smelly.
  38. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Anyone who is a fan of historical series such as Rome should also check out Spartacus Blood and Sand. The first few episodes are :meh: but every episode gets better than the last, and the finale this weekend was just :eek: Plus brilliant acting by John Hannah and Lucy Lawless (yes, Xena) as a scheming, social climbing couple.

I've realized now that what's been missing from the Tudors since season 2 is a good schemer. So far, the Seymour brothers, Brandon, and Francis Bryan have not been able to match Thomas Boleyn in that department. Cromwell's downfall went by too fast and we were only given an episode or 2 of Edward Seymour and Brandon plotting to bring it about.
  39. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I thought that Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, was one of the chief schemers in this period but we haven't seen him in the series since season 1, have we?

Looking forward to the Borgias!
  40. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode online. I now may cave and get Showtime for the rest of the season. :lol:

Culpepper's a scary man. Still having problems thinking of sweet little Georgiana Darcy as Kitty Ho. Sarah Bolger was :kickass: in her brief scene looking down her nose at the 'stepmom'. Loved that total look of disdain.