the end of fs

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by immoimeme, Oct 20, 2013.

1. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

So it's annual friends of the library sale and off I go. I look in "sport" for figure skating books. None there. "Hmm?" I think. Where could they be. Guess. "Performing Arts." Ruh-roh. If that's indication of how fs is perceived by general public, its the end for fs as sport. Discontinue the tecnicl programs, let everyone skate to music with lyrics, let the audience vote who won. It's all over. The end. Not to mention when a book about Karen Barbour and Nicky Slater sells for more $ than "AYear in Figure Skating" by a fine JOURNALIST it's definitely all over. Ayiyiyi.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

All the FS books at my city's libraries are in the sport section.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm I think that is what you find most people think about figure skating. They do in Australia. I don't think it proves it is the end of figure skating. I just think it proves that the general public have a certain perception of it.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

There are no books about figure skating at my library or any book store I've seen.

5. Aussie Willy

I used to work in a public library. I managed to get the figure skating books when they were withdrawn from the library. Also one of the them never got returned and had to get marked as lost.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I agree with AWilly. Most people especially males, don't think of figures skating as sport. Unfortunately, many don't realise how difficult it is to acquire the blade skills to do what figure skaters do. As my DS said to me, the way figure skating was presented (beautiful costumes, nice music, beautiful girls) create the perception that figure skating is performance arts. And of course, the constant talk about 'feeling' didn't helop either. :)

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a new attitude.

8. sk8tergirl

sk8tergirl New Member

I never understood why skating, (I am deliberately leaving off "figure"), doesn't have an option that emphasizes jumps and spins in the same manner ice dance emphasizes MITF and "artistry." For example, USFS has done this in the "opposite direction," so to speak, with National Showcase. Skaters who are excellent artists with good MITF skills, (strong edges etc.), but who are weaker in technical elements, (especially jumps), are given the opportunity to compete without needing to do multi-rotational jumps. (I think axel is the highest jump allowed). The emphasis is on the beauty and artistry. I don't understand why we can't do the same for the technical. Maybe a type of jump & spin contest, but one that is an event in it's own right with the same respect other disciplines (dance, free dance, freestyle, etc) are given. I think this would appeal to more boys, (as well as to those of us who do not like the "dance" aspect of figure skating), and would get the "sport" of figure skating recognized as more of a sport, (in the traditional sense). I'm not saying to abandon the artistry all together, just saying to give the "jumpers who can't dance," the same opportunity given to the "dancers who can't jump" (who can choose from dance, free dance, national showcase etc.) Thinking a type of "athletic" track (focusing on only jumps & spins) vs free dance (which is basically the opposite: Focus on MITF/artistry).

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Isn't this what competitive singles/pairs skating is (vs. show skating)?

10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

No because even in singles/pairs there is a large emphasis on artistry. Sk8tergirl is saying there should be a high-ranking competition track with a National Championship (not just a fun event in a competition) for jumps only where there is no artistry involved. Imagine the freshness that would come into skating if it was possible for a skater to say "I'm a national champion in jumping." I believe more boys would start skating.

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol: So one library's book sale is the deciding factor in the death of a sport? :p

12. sk8tergirl

sk8tergirl New Member

Exactly! Tests/Competition Items for such a tract could even include "lost" jumps like open axel, tuck axel, one-foot axel, walleys, reverse jumps etc. which are somewhat difficult and rarely seen today (except in ISI). Same for spins. Items like "traveling camels," illusion camels, and um.... Does it even have a name? (At 3:42. Goes up like flying sit, comes down into flying camel.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCFD7hJUXdA

Awesome! :eek: I LOVE Phillippe!!! :D .....And possibly at the highest level, backflips. I realize this move is super dangerous but, the reality is that skaters do them at nationals in exhibition programs.

Tuck Axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKH6IxuZ3sk
    Open Axel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkS3ekNRcBA
    Backflips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orbdB3REL6w

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. Aussie Willy

Is the fact that I don't go to my local library means that figure skating is officially dead?

Oh wait, I am so busy with figure skating administration that I don't get time to go to the library. Any wonder I didn't realise it was dead already.

14. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Yes. Well, that and my judgement call. Surely that's all that's necessary :shuffle:

15. Aussie Willy

It is a pretty long bow to try and align classification of skating books in a library book sale to use that as evidence it is the end of a sport. Although I think you will find in the Dewey Decimal Classification System it is still classified as a sport.

16. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I'm the most humble person I know also. ;)

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Lol, this thread is funny, totally different than what I thought it would be. :lol:

18. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I thought skating was already a jump and spin contest. With difficult but ugly lifts added to dance. That Virtue/Moir free dance I saw yesterday was a showcase of truly hideous lifts which managed to take all the beauty out of the dance. In fact, most of what I saw on the Skate Canada broadcast, with a few exceptions, was difficulty for the sake of difficulty.

I'd rather watch Abbott do his program with doubles than the frantic, but apparently difficult, slop put down by the Japanese guy who came in second. This guy beat Takehashi? Tak must have spent the whole competition on his butt.

19. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of libraries you all frequent, but pretty much all public libraries in the US (and I think much of the rest of the world) use a universal numbering system for organizing non-fiction books by subject. Figure skating comes under 796.9 Winter Sports.

20. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

You might also want to look under the Biographies section to see if you can find any skaters' biographies/autobiographies. Also, over the years there have been a number of children's books about skating. Fiction about skating is harder to find (and practically impossible to get published, which I know from personal experience), but your library might have an old copy of "Hans Brinker" on the shelves.

21. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

That's how the general public DOES think about it. Very few outside of the sport and FSU think about it as athleticism. This is the crux of the challenges of CoP, which is trying to reward more of the technical ability -- even in PCS which has become technical in many ways. Fans can't follow and can't reconcile to what THEY think is artistic which is more about performance ability and emoting. The way the scoring is broken down and read doesn't help fans either. So they don't get it.

Fans want clean skating and 'emoting...performing...beauty' to be the primary drivers of scoring. That was more the case in 6.0. Not so much now and this is making it hard for fans.

22. sk8tergirl

sk8tergirl New Member

It is almost as if they should have an "artistic" program and a "technical" program (or contest) worth equal weight and then score them, rather than a short/long program....Or something like that. I do understand that the ideal is to integrate the two, (and this has been done with some elite skaters like Yaugudin, Takehashi etc.), but it is also leading to what RobinA noted about technical dominating the artistic. Robin is right. Someone who landed a 4Lutz-3Toe Combo :eek: and stood up for the rest of the routine would probably win, regardless of how "artistic" the rest of their program was. Then you have the other side, people who like the technical side of skating, but just aren't actors/dancers (like myself). I do think that taking the acting/dancing/artistic element away would attract new fans, (and maybe more young boys) to skating. I think this would make it more of a "sport" in the public's eyes. Yes, it would be a "jump & spin" contest, but would that be so bad? Especially if you could keep the artistic as a separate discipline.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Nope. Maybe they should have an X-Games version of skating and make it a different sport. However, that should be separate from figure skating as it exists. Artistic Gymnastics (the gymnastics we all know) also includes Trampoline and Tumbling competitions. However, they never suggested getting rid of the more "artistic" aspects of the sport (although the code has done a great job of doing that since 1997). Even if I find gymnastics to be pretty fugly nowadays, at least there's a pretext of artistry.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Wait--it's a library book SALE? Not even in the library? My public library has it under the sports section (#796 point whatever).

If you ask me, this is the end of libraries.

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Aussie Willy

Who needs libraries when you have Wikipedia?

Now let's see everyone get up in arms about that comment!

26. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

:confused: But...the library is WHERE I use wikipedia...

:fragile:

27. Aussie Willy

:lol: Should we take up a collection?