The Duggars - 20th child discussion

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Yahoo! article - The Duggars Expecting 20th Child

Wow. I actually thought that because of their youngest child (who if you have watched the show recently is almost two and I haven't seen walk unattended), they wouldn't do this.

I know they have their beliefs and my faith teaches me that children should be a blessing to a family. But my faith also teaches me the value of wisdom. Just saying.
  2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

3. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Dear Lord. Someone make it stop!!!!!!
  4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

My thoughts exactly!
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

At least they can afford it. And how old is Mrs. Duggar? I mean, as far as the woman is concerned, it simply can't go on forever. (They don't believe in things like in vitro and extreme measures to force pregnancies in old women, right?)
  6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

They can afford it because they have exploited the family in the media. So I'm not sure that is admirable.
    cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Congratulations to them.
  8. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I think this is madness, despite their religious beliefs. I hope the baby is healthy.
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I hope she is able to stay healthy during this pregnancy. I thought the long gap since the last one would mean the "Lord closed her womb".

Although I don't think she does much to raise her children, the last thing all those kids needs is to loose their mother...
  10. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Maybe her uterus will just fall out with this one. There has to be some parts of her just hanging by a thread at this point.
  11. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Michelle is 45. Considering that she has had pre-eclampsia in the previous pregnancy, I think health concerns should have been thought out by this couple.

Plus, check this info out from the March of Dimes:

12. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I'm surprised, but in only how long it took them. They've made it very clear in the past that birthing babies is the most important thing, even if it endangers the mothers' health. Considering her age though, I do think this'll be the last one. She 45.

In a few of the more recent episodes, she's been shown walking under her own power. But she's a special case, because while she's technically almost 2, her adjusted age would be closer to 1 and a half. So considering all she's been though, I think she's coming along just fine, if just a little behind.
  13. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the younger kids would even notice if she wasn't there. It looks like she's going for the Guinness World record but sadly, she'll never make it. The record is 69 children from one woman. Google it if you don't believe me.

ETA re the risk of Down's Syndrome, doesn't the youngest child have it?
  14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder why God hasn't put his foot down yet. Are the Duggards that genetically gifted that God wants them to continue to have a 20th child?

Well now that she's pregnant, I do hope everything goes well for her.
  15. Skittl1321

They haven't said she does.
  16. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I don't think so. I know she's a micro preemie, but I don't know if she has problems associated with that.

I think maybe God tried to give the hint with Josie - preeclampsia, micro-preemie. They were extraordinarily lucky with Josie. And you know, 3.5 months or not, with her history, I wouldn't be saying a word to the world, just in case something went wrong. Then again, these are fame whores who aren't opposed to pimping out their family for money and freebies. :rolleyes:
  17. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

I don't agree with their idea that the more you have, the better. Bordeline insanity, IMO.

Still, despite my disagreement I wish mother a gentle pregnancy & a happy, healthy child. I've no doubt that the next little "J" will be welcomed into a loving family.

NJL
  18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Michelle and the baby nearly died during her last pregnancy.
    You would think that would be warning enough.

I assumed that this was the "announcement" that TLC was promoting last night.

ITA!
  19. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

And they all play an instrument!! Wouldn't you love to be in that house when they're all practicing?
  20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Verizon put up a cell tower on their property, they make a ton off of it.

My mom had me at 42 in the early 70s and I'm basically normal. :shuffle:
  21. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

If they are supporting their family without social assistance or charity, and the kids are well-looked after, then I don't see where it's any of my business how many kids they have. Look at it another way...they're helping to ensure the population of tax-paying citizens remains enought to pay for gov't deficits.
  22. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

The radio station I was listening to on the way to work this morning said that this was a "feel-good breaking news story." I sat there thinking :wall: the entire time they were covering it.
  23. milanessa

I've always been a little puzzled as to why people get so upset about this family. Whatever happened to "live and let live"?
  24. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'd be real interested to revisit this family in 20 years to see how all these children turned out. I bet more than a few PHd thesis' will be written about this family
  25. danceronice

Bet they'll be better-off mentally than any children unfortunate enough to be born to some OTHER reality-show families (God help us if the Jersey Shore people ever reproduce.) At least their parents, to all appearances, love each other, love their children, and aren't having screaming matches for the cameras, locking each other out, and Daddy hasn't taken off to spend his network checks on hookers and blow.

Since they're not sucking up my tax dollars or teaching their children to do likewise, or literally whoring themselves out with sex videos and begging for millions in wedding gifts, mazel tov. It's her health and her baby, not my business to tell her what risks to take.
  26. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I think one of the issues is that their older kids don't really get a choice to not become surrogate parents, minding the kids, doing the chores, etc. here. The simple fact is that two parents cannot take care of 20 kids on their own and give each child enough attention. Yes, kids should help around the house; however, these kids live an extremely regimented life. Are they happy? Possibly. But are they missing out on many things kids their own age do while they live in the tribe? Probably.

I was born to a 45 year old mother, turned out fine. However, I'm 53, and my mother died 25 years ago in her early 70s - barely lived long enough to see me get married. And as a former OB/Gyn, I can tell you that human beings are not designed to produce so many babies. After her last pregnancy, she has a fairly high risk to die in childbirth. And what personally chaps my hide is that her husband will likely mourn, but declare it "God's will" and find some (younger) gullible little evangelical to marry and perpetuate the whole process with again.
  27. danceronice

Older kids raising/helping raise younger kids just happens in big families. Dad's older sisters had to help with him and his younger brother, since their mother died not long after the youngest was born. (They had another sibling die of whooping cough. Just happened in those days.) That's just how it goes.

Again, they're self-sufficient and have been since before they had the show, so none of my business. Now, if you're sucking up welfare checks, I think you should face a choice of no assistance or a tubal. But if you're paying for it, it's your life.
  28. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

I do agree with you that it isn't a big deal that they do what they do. It doesn't really even bother me that they have a reality tv show, I'm sure they have a built-in audience, and it will probably help take care of the family for years.

However, they do receive significant tax breaks and benefits a typical family would not. I remember reading that they pay no property tax on their home because it is considered a "church" with residential occupants. Of course it's nothing illegal, but it is certainly using significant loopholes.
  29. Skittl1321

They haven't received welfare, but they received plenty of state assistance when Josie was in the hospital. All micro-premies are entitled to it, but you don't have to take it...

I don't know what their current situation is, but they previously have said they do not have insurance for most/all of their children, and use the ER for all treatment (that may have been the Bateses now that I think about it...) Obviously we've seen Josie get routine check ups, but those very well may have been covered by the state assistance she got.

And if TLC hadn't come to rescue them when their rental home was destroyed, and their house was only 1/4 built, I don't think we'd be saying they are self-sufficient.

My biggest problem is the way they present themselves as being so "Christian" and yet they lie like crazy. My favorite is when they say they don't know what "Quiverfull" is, and yet early links to their website show a link to a quiverfull site. I also think the Gothard guy that they follow is dangerous, and I feel terrible for their children.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  30. milanessa

I was actually thinking about what you were saying until this. :rolleyes:
  31. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I think when you put yourself out there on reality television like this family has, you basically open yourself up to criticism. I don't see anything wrong with people expressing their opinions about the Duggar's. I don't have to agree with every opinion, but I think they are fair game, just as much as the Jersey Shore cast, The Real Housewives, Jon and Kate and their 8...
  32. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

All micro-preemies are automatically covered under Medicaid for the first year or two, regardless of income. Or at least that's what I'm given to understand. And I won't fault the Duggars for using it. They may be relatively well-off, but having an infant in NICU for months on end is super expensive, and only the very wealthy would be able to absorb that cost without assistance.

And yes, it is the Bateses who use the ER for treatment. The Duggars have a high deductible plan, as of a few years ago anyway.
  33. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

While I had hoped they were done, I knew when it was announced that the family they are friends with was expecting #19 there would be a rush to get #20 here and soon.

I have no problem with Jim Bob and Michelle living their lives as they want to live them. That is their choice. I do have issues with the way they raise their children and how they have basically removed most hope for these 19 going on 20 children to live normal, productive, and even self-sufficient lives. The oldest, who is married with two children of his own, still lives in a property that was owned by his grandparents and runs a car lot that is still on paper the property of his father. The children aren't being educated or allowed to prepare for an actual career. It is more important to this family to be surrounded by like minded people than enjoy a healthy debate or hear an opposing opinion.

As for the Duggars living without assistance now, they are certainly helped by being on television. I know the family they hang out with in Tennessee has come under a lot of criticisim lately for their 18 children with one on the way. They admitted they don't have health insurance for the children and use ER's as their primary means of healthcare. One of the older sons started his own lawncare business and is providing money to his parents because they can't afford such a house full of children.

I hope Michelle has a healthy pregnancy and that the baby is healthy too. The daughters deserve that much since their role in child raising goes far beyond chores of a normal or large size family to me.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'm sure those children are all mentally balanced and feel loved and looked after. :p
  35. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Well, I wish them a healthy baby and congratulate them because this is what they want.

It's none of my business (or anyone else's) how many kids they have if they are able to support them all. How many children you have or don't have is a personal decision and if they believe all of their children are sent by God that's their prerogative.
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. But the patriarchal/Quiverfull mentality -- which I've researched a bit recently -- is harmful because it essentially teaches that the girls, simply by virtue of being girls, have no right to lives of their own until they marry (and not even then, really). So it doesn't matter if they're overworked and allowed no time for friends or relaxation or any sort of personal life. If you're really interested in the mindset, Hillary McFarland's Quivering Daughters is a must-read. She grew up in just such a household, and when she finally got up enough courage to go live on her own as an adult, her family acted like the universe was about to cave in.

All that said, I hope the new Duggar baby will be healthy and that the mother will be fine.
    PDilemma and (deleted member) like this.
  37. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I've always respected the Duggars but worry for this pregnancy. What are her chances of having a normal L&D given all the problems they had with little Josie?
  38. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with this, but then again as someone mentioned upthread they do have a reality show and therefore, as public figures, have made themselves fair game for criticism. I do wonder about the health and safety of Michelle and little Duggar #20. Wishing them a safe pregnancy and birth.

I'm amazed at Michelle's perpetual fertility... 45 years old yet still has the ovaries of a champion! :eek:
  39. Skittl1321

I'm on board with the thought that she had fertility treatments that I've seen all over the internet. This is the longest they've ever gone between pregnancies, I think.

Kelly Bates is on progesterone treatments to maintain her pregnancy.

So while it is "God's Will" for them to have as many kids as possible (which they of course help along in every possible way, weaning the kids off breastfeeding early- though I agree, you don't have to breastfeed at all if you don't want), it apparently isn't up to God for them to not have kids.

It reminds me of the joke of the guy in the hurricane , and a man comes by and offers him a ride, but he doesn't go saying God will save him, and then while he is stranded in flood waters a boat comes by, but he says God will save him, and then he is stranded on his roof top with the rising flood, and a helicopter comes by, but he says God will save him, and then at the Pearly Gates he said "God, why didn't you save me?" and God says "I tried 3 times!". Was Josie's medical problems not a sign to them? And instead she is just being cared for by Jill, tossed aside by her "mother" so that the next precious flower can be the spotlight. (Jordyn is the most unfortunate of all of them. When I watched the show I felt so bad for her, it's like she doesn't recognize who her Mom is. And poor Joy, with no joy left...)

Perhaps Michelle wants to die a martyr to the Gothard cause rather than face a life where she can't always be bearing children, the only thing she's ever done...
  40. Skittl1321

Not only that, they've had their childhoods stolen from them. Did you see Michelle wakeboarding? She's highly athletic, and as a kid her parents fostered that in her- she got to roller skate, she got to cheerlead... she got to do all kinds of things she isn't allowing her kids to do.

Okay, I'm done now.