The Drinking Chrysler Workers

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatemommy, Sep 29, 2010.

1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,601545,00.html

Ugh, President Obama was at this plant a month ago speaking about how proud he was of these workers after the umpteen billion dollar bailout. This is a small group of employees but it doesn't make Detroit look good. How reckless when there are NO jobs to be had to act like a high schooler (with apologies to high schoolers) and get high on your lunch break.

2. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Slightly off topic, but when I was in Stuttgart, I toured the Porsche factory, a relatively small, made-to-order operation where the workers have a 10-15 minute break every hour or two. There are designated break areas on the production floor that are fully stocked with drinks, including beer :40beers: . Some workers were even smoking in the break area (which is a part of the production floor - no partitions involved - just steps away from potentially flammable materials) as our tour group walked by.

Just a tangential example of different standards and working conditions, which I was surprised to see since I'd imagine the EU has pretty strict guidelines of their own for workplace safety and conduct.

3. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

it really makes me mad that all they have to do is complete an AA program. I live outside of Detroit and know a ton of workers who are laid off and wouldn't do anything like that. The unions make it so hard to fire workers who screw up. My BIL works on a line down in Toledo and he has told me how the workers goof off, take sick time on Fridays and Mondays. A lot of the guys come in drunk or high and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  4. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I remember as a kid, the advice was don't buy a car finished on a Monday or a Friday.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

When they built the Neon, they must have been on BENDERS.

6. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I had some German flatmates this summer and they were explaining than in certain länder, at least, there was a 2 beer lunch break allowance? or something like that. Maybe a German poster can enlighten us!

Anyway, I'm not shocked by the concept of people drinking in lunch break - it all depends what they are drinking! (and more to the point, how much)
    A beer or a glass of wine with their meal, I wouldn't have a problem with at all.

7. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I was listening to WJR the other morning, and some guy who was a former union rep (retired) called in. He was saying that he thought most of those guys who have been fired will be back on the job because, you know, they have families and need the money so the union will go to bat for them. Hello! Should have thought about that before you decided to whoop it up on your lunch break.

If I did what they did, I'd be fired so fast my head would spin. Even if we go out to business lunches, everyone always drinks water or soft drinks.

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I don't think they will get their jobs back. Since their code of business conduct addresses alcohol & drug usage on the job then the union can't help them.

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I hope you are right. It's just that that union mentality just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

10. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Seriously. So do the crapload of workers who are unemployed right now.

And the UAW mentality is what's crippled the US automakers in the first place. (The Asian companies who build in the US don't have to have union shops. Michigan, on the other hand, is a in-union-pockets nightmare.)

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Drinking??

I have a friend who worked in a Ford assembly plant in Ontario while he was in university. The stories he tells about what went on in the parking lot at that place during breaks and before and after work are :eek:. Not that drinking while at work is a good thing, but, seriously, drinking is by far the least of the :eek: things that went on at my friend's workplace.

He totally agrees with the idea of checking the date when the car was made and never buying a car made on Mondays or Fridays. Or on the days before and after a long weekend.

12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, having seen the video, these guys were also smoking joints, so drinking AND toking.

13. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

In the US, it wasn't that long ago that drinking during lunch was completely acceptable, and even expected. People here in NY/NJ tell me that it continued right up through the 1980s. And has others have said, the acceptability of this varies from country to country. Overseas, in a lot of countries, it's still completely okay to drink during lunch.

I'm not saying that what these workers did was right; just giving some context.

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I hope that the reporter that broke this story keeps following it to see if they get their jobs back.