The Commonwealth Games in trouble....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Buzz, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The facilities that were supposed to be constructed for the games are not done and many athletes and countries are threatening to pull out. That is just the begining of the problems. Personally as an ethnic India person I hope that India can still pull off the games and prove everyone wrong but it does not look good at this point. Here is a list of some of the setbacks:

1) Major sponsors pulled out at the beginning of August.
    2) Some high profile athletes also pulled out.
    3) A bridge constructed for the games collapsed yesterday injuring workers.
    4) The athletes village is being described as in a disgusting condition.
    5) New Delhi has also had the worst monsoon rains since 1978.
    6) There are also all sorts of corruption allegations.
    7) Most facilities are still not finished.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2010/09/21/15426276.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...d-gold-hopes-say-Delhi.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
    http://decisionstats.wordpress.com/2010/09/21/the-comic-water-games-aka-common-wealth-games/
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...o-pull-out-as-sponsor/articleshow/6254006.cms
    http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...d-after-nehru-stadium-bridge-collapse_1441335
  2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Not much to say except that's all really fecked up. Hope things get on track soon.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oooppps.... Canada is considering withdrawing from the Commonwealth games and some other top athletes have also withdrawn today. The first competitors are supposed to be arriving tomorrow.
  4. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Sorry to hear that. I hope that something can be done to rescue these games for India, because failures like this leave an enormous stain, and make it an uphill battle to win events in the future. [Just ask Atlanta.]

Now, sorry to make light, but this scenario -- worrying about failure to successfully implement a huge sporting event -- made me think of a spittakingly funny line from 30 Rock this season from the (Brit) Michael Sheen character, who was (may yet be?) Liz's eager "Settling Spouse".

We're not prepared
  5. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

6. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

8) break out of Dengue fever
    9) collapse of weightlifting venue
    10) collapse of swimming venue ceiling
    11) Australian journalist successfully walked giant suitcase of explosives into the main stadium as a test
    12) two tourists just shot in the area, and the shooters said something about being prepared while the organizers are not

If I were a competing athlete, I would not board the friggin' plane. Hell no!
  7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

9. genegri

genegri Active Member

Thank goodness it's not the Olympics Games.
  10. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

For a lot of these athletes, though, this IS their Olympics.
  11. genegri

genegri Active Member

^ Very sad indeed. But at least not as many athletes are affected.

Wonder where it went wrong?
  12. Orable

Orable New Member

My co-worker, who's from Delhi, has been talking about this for months - apparently, they only started (started) building a lot of this infrastructure last year! One year is not enough develop the roads, bridges, housing, arenas, etc for the Commonwealth Games. He thinks that India's infamous red tape bureacracy held things up. Pitiful :rolleyes:

Is there an alternative place to hold the games, like maybe in Australia or NZ?
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

It's way too late for that.
  14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  15. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Just saw the pictures of the inside of the Village and...Disgusting doesn't even come close to describing it.

This is the first I've heard of them only starting to build what was needed last year. They've had what? Six or seven years to get ready for this?

And to think, the only other city bidding for these Games was Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Me thinks we'd be welcoming Athletes right now w/open arms instead of what's happening in India.

What an unholy mess!! :(
  16. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

:yikes:I just now read the article. Before that, I thought your post was meant as a joke. Looks like the games ain't gonna happen. So sad.:(
  17. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Or we'd still be trying to figure out where to build the stadium.

It's so sad to think of all the things my city has missed out through losing the games to New Delhi.
  18. Orable

Orable New Member

That's too bad :( Are they gonna cancel the CWG?
  19. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

I did read an article somewhere that the Singapore federation representative laughed out loud when asked by journalists whether Singapore could be a fill-in host. Singapore hosted a world youth olympics event just about a month ago.

Now, the Games might very well continue in Delhi, with much-reduced athlete participation as more and more athletes drop out... but if there's any place that could fill in as a downscaled replacement site (or site where individual sport federations decide to hold "alternate meets," as has been mooted for swimming), it's Singapore. Excellent infrastructure, skilled at logistics, and the most impressively professional city (as far as hosting visitors and hosting business - right down to your average hotel staff, taxi driver, bus driver, or courteous directions-giving policeman on the street) that I've ever been to.
  20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I still can't believe that Hamilton's *still* bickering over that one. Especially considering you could end up losing your CFL Franchise to boot and w/the History of the Ti Cats, that would be beyond sad.
  21. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

This is so sad. I love the commonwealth games....
    I can't imagine how disappointing this is for all the athletes who have been working for this for years.
  22. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I think games are going to happen with the events going relatively favourably for organisers.

Personally, I never understood these games, for me it was always a joke like this video titled 'Commonwealth Religious Games'.

And again why would any colonies what to celebrate colonial rule and then name the organisation Commonwealth, whose common wealth is it ?, Great Britain's?
  23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

ITA
  24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Another cyclist withdraws, and more are considering it

25. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Now documented "child labor"

Child Labor at Commonwealth Games sites
  26. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Maybe the municipal election in a few weeks will change things. One of the sites is 7 minutes from my house.

I just hope that the games in New Delhi are able to proceed without incident.
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Indian government has enlisted the help of some local luxury hotels to get the athletes village cleaned up and they have done a great job judging by the pictures I saw on the BBC. So hopefully everything will get back on track and the games will suffer no more embarassment.
  28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I don't get them much either. The only reason why Australia gets keen on them is because the end up winning all the medals and the media make a really big deal about it. So I am over them already and won't be watching.
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo