The comeback of TomᚠVerner (most likely his final season competing)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 25, 2013.

1. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yes, what I most remember of seeing Verner live, especially at practices and exhibitions, is his amazing charisma, and great skating skills. He truly has the talent to light up the rink and to charm the audience, and those edges and jumps, when done well, are a thing of beauty. Good luck Tomas!

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Definitely Joubert. He's signed on for Plushenko's shows in the spring. He's still talking about doing pairs, though, so maybe it'll only be a semi-retirement? :p Not sure about Takahashi, I am sure it's his last season but maybe he'll want to do Worlds in Japan?

3. shah

shah Shhh...

:(

4. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

I knew I was going to get a lot of hate from that comment. :lol:

No, I didn't bother reading any of the posts, because 9/10 it's another fake farewell he and Joubert have been saying for years now.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Then don't post if you can't bother.

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Just watched both his programs from Coupe de Nice and Tomas is spot on! Adding my best wishes to this thread for Tomas to have a fabulous final season! :respec:

7. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Somehow I don't see Brian doing pairs, even if he tried. It's not that he's incapable of learning the elements, but when you're a singles skater for so long, depending only on yourself and suffering only from your mistakes, it's hard to suddenly become a part of a team. That, and Brian's strong personality.

Anyway, wishing both of them a fantastic season.

8. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Both his wins at Nepela and Nice were great to see from Verner. However, I'll believe he's really in a comeback mode when he shows up at Euros delivering in the same way. Senior B's are hardly high pressure events and that's when Tomas usually melts.

9. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If you can't be bothered to read people's posts, why should people be bothered to read yours?

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I think we all made a mistake in reading the first post & then responding to it. Don't feed the trolls :p.

12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Probably Chan (99% sure).

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Including me recently with Amodio. ;)

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I lurves me some snarky Sylvia! :swoon:

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

That must be a first. ;)

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

haha, yes! You didn't respond by saying "I won't read any articles because I just KNOW he's never leaving Morozov for good," though. Now you know how to troll better :lol:

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

This hasn't been designated as a thread for ubers or a cheer thread, so I don't have an issue with Jiazumi expressing her opinion. I love Thomas and would love nothing more than to see him have a great season. But, he has had some bad skates over the years that problem were very embarrassing to him, given how talented he is.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And even when he landed his jumps at Cup of Nice, he fell on the step sequence. It's very frustrating to see him so easily lose his focus given how skilled he is.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Add in he's not willing to move and Mama (Jou)Bear.

20. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Maybe Joubert could skate pairs with Maman? :lol: I don't know, he just doesn't seem physically large enough for pairs. Maybe dance?

Although I've liked very little of his skating, I hope Joubert has a good ending to his eligible career.

Now, Tomas, he'd really be a good ice dancer, I think.

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into definitions of trolling, but I don't think anyone's first amendment rights are relevant to a non-American, privately owned forum.

He's bigger than Szolkowy ;) And much as I like Joubert, he certainly does not have the right skill set for ice dance.

Verner will be going back to school, so other than maybe some galas here and there, I think he has other career goals post-Sochi.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  22. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

I'm so excited to see him finding his form. Such perfect timing. Wish him to have a big moment come Sochi.

23. mia joy

mia joy New Member

He should totally give Fumie some advice on life after competing :shuffle:

Sorry, I just had to get it out of my system :lol:

Go Tomas!!!

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Honestly, if Joubert had started in pairs like 8 years ago when he first said this, he might've been pretty good at it. Well, I'd still want him to be the 2007 singles champion, but it would've been interesting if he'd done some light pairs training while doing singles. Hell, even Jessica Dube did both at the same time. That could've been an easier way for him transition after Vancouver (he wuzrobbed of a medal in Nice though).

I wish Tomas the best, but I'll just die if he finishes FORTH again, so I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

25. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I've seen him a few times live. He's a charmer, and even more so off the ice. From what I heard, he won over a lot of female Chinese fans in the few times to CoC. He should do shows after retirement.

26. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Sorry wrong thread.

27. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Anyone know if he's still with Nathalie Pechalet off ice ? Nathalie/Fabian's last competition is definately olympics .