The Carolina Kostner Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jiggs, Apr 14, 2012.

1. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Carolina lost about 5 points on the Loop, and about 3 points on the Salchow, just on TES base value, without counting GOE.
    Then, she would probably have higher PCS, but not better than Yu Na Kim. So maybe 2 or 3 points on PCS, at best.
    Then the fall : -1.
    So, I'd say Carolina could have scored 13 points higher, at best. Still 4 points behind Yu Na Kim.
    Just my thought. ;)
  2. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

You also have to factor in the extra points she would have received had she skated a flawless SP, so I believe if she had, she would have defeated Yu-Na Kim, and rightfully so. Carolina is so much more interesting a skater than Yu-Na.
    cris likes this.
  3. theguitarist

theguitarist New Member

All these if's....sigh. Carolina is already scored based on 'what could have been' rather than what she actually put out on the ice, and this time after time.
  4. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I swore so loud when she fell on the salchow I must have woken my neighbours :shuffle:

I don't agree with the PCS gap between her and Kim at all. Bolero is a majestic masterpiece, above and beyond the rest of programs. But considering Kim had a clean skate one really couldn't have expected anything different with these judges. :rolleyes:

I'm soooo proud of Carolina for bringing back the lutz AND the 3f-3t, and landing both of them under this particular circumstance. The lutz was a thing of beauty especially. She has really transformed herself as a skater in the past couple of seasons hasn't she? So composed and joyous in her skating all the time now. She's a master like no other skater competing today. I can't wait to see what she'll bring us next year! FORZA CARO!
    dinakt, cris and (deleted member) like this.
  5. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Has she said whether she intends to keep her current programs for next season? I vote yes. Bolero has come so far from the first time she competed it, I can just imagine it a year from now.
  6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

There is something to be said for not retiring too early. Truthfully I didn't care so much for Carolina until she was injured and after that her skating became so much more interesting imho. I loved watching her last night. When I think of her skating for some reason the word "sumptuous" comes to mind. Technically I love her footwork. And she is so elegant on and off the ice.
  7. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

seems there are plans for two new programs: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130315&content_id=42806026&vkey=ice_news

I'm not thinking so much if. Carolina needed a time out and haven't performed this program so often. I'm sure it was a wise decision, she got a period of rest. I would say it is better for her to have silver, much less pressure going into Olimpics, which is the main goal. The other goal was, in my opinion, to bring bak 3Lz and 3F3T in competition program, she will need it next year. I would say: goal accomplished.
    I think Caro can do perfect programs and be on par with YuNa if she do, but of course she needs to bring the programs out to competition some more time. And hopeful without nose-bleeding.
    LuckyCharm and (deleted member) like this.
  8. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Interesting. Sounds like they plan on creating a new FS but won't decide until later which program to skate at the big competitions, so my hope to see Bolero in Sochi is still alive, or even the Mozart which I also loved. I wasn't so crazy about Faun, but whatever.

Of course, if they are able to come up with something even better for the new program, then I'm all for that.
  9. justAfsfan

justAfsfan New Member

I'm I the only one who really think that fall in the last salchow suit Bolero really well?

I wish her program next year is as interesting as the past three year! Bolero is my favorite LP program this season.
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well after the scandulous mens event they werent going to dare not deduct PC marks for disruptive falls or errors, and understandably so.
  11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're probably the only one :). The fall was quite jarring, and Kostner didn't think quick enough to attempt to cover it up. When she fell, I thought Ok, just remain on flat on the ice and strike an ending pose right then and there, kind of like how D&T ended their Bolero. But Kostner looked shocked and slowly got up to get to the ending pose after the music had already stopped.
  12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

As much as I adore Yuna, I really wish Kostner would have defended. I love her programs the most this season and she executed them perfectly. And she had the lutz and 3flip3toe back just in time as well. This nose bleed was such an untimely disaster.

Win or lose, I wish the PCS between Yuna and Kostner would have reflected what they each delivered. For me, Kostner killed Yuna in 4 of 5 PCS categories. Even with the last-second fall, I still feel Kostner should have won PCS.
  13. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I was thinking exactly the same, and thought which pose she could come up with, lying on the ice, but she didn't
  14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think the rules allow you to lie on the ice anymore, so 'quick thinking' wouldn't have really helped. It was clear it was an unintentional fall, and at the worst moment for program interuption. :(
  15. jiggs

jiggs New Member

I don't know whether this video has ever been posted before but I recently stumbled across it and found it so interesting to watch, it really captures a pure moment of creation - this is Carolina working on her 2007 footwork sequence with Lori Nichol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr56uS_EXr0.

She really has some of the best footwork in the business. Her feet are so fast and skating so light, it's hard to keep up with what she does with her blades.
  16. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I don't think it's been allowed since the 1992-1993 season.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Didn't the same happen to Bourne and Kraatz and also Sale & Pelletier?
  18. jiggs

jiggs New Member

Some more recent updates ...

Video & interview from Carolina's reception in her hometown in Val Gardena. You can hear her speaking German in this interview - everyone who knows German will probably notice the heavy dialect she uses which is very typical for the region of South Tyrol. It's amazing to think she grew up trilingually and is fluent in 5 languages ... what a lucky girl! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVamxjYNz4

Gardena Spring Trophy currently takes place in her valley, I guess she will be watching some of the competitions: https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/319090678409875458/photo/1

On the recent cover of Doppio Axel: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...97179443.32837.152001281509228&type=1&theater
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

All the top ladies have their own strengths and Carolina's in her footwork. She's a very elegant skater. I enjoy her skating. Good luck to Carolina for the Sochi season.
  20. jiggs

jiggs New Member

21. Maofan7

Maofan7 pacem dare occasionem

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  22. reut

reut Active Member

23. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Here is the interview, not the editorial bits:

Carolina Kostner, you are a ragazza after my own heart. :swoon:

I wish every young competitive skater could read this.
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  24. reut

reut Active Member

Vagabond, thank you for the translation. Especially liked her advice.

But actually I hoped to know more about the "Opera on Ice" part, she names there a few skaters, including those who already performed, but also Javier, so I wondered if she was talking about the cast for Opera on Ice 2013.
  25. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I not sure if this video has already been posted, but here is something i found today that was only posted on youtube a few days ago

http://youtu.be/UzSiB8qCvHg
  26. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

27. jiggs

jiggs New Member

As far as I could understand (but my Italian is not that good) only Carolina, St├ęphane, Shizuka and Anna/Luca are already comfirmed. They will have to wait and see if skaters like Evgeni and Javier accept the invitation? I think this is what she said but please correct me if I'm wrong!
  28. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You are welcome.

I translated the transcript. I haven't yet watched the video. :shuffle:
  29. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Great job Vagabond! What you translated though is not the transcript of the video interview but an interview published on an Italian magazine in January 2012 :)
  30. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Exactly! ;)
  31. jiggs

jiggs New Member

I am cross-posting this from Denis Ten's show thread:

Thanks, reut! What a lovely new exhibition, she is such a powerful yet delicate skater! It also seems to me that she is looking to improve on transitions into her jumps - new entry into both 3sal and 2a. I hope that those will be included in her competition programs too.
  32. Maofan7

Maofan7 pacem dare occasionem

33. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She is one classy lady. Too bad her long program doesn't quite show her best. I hope she does well at Europeans.
  34. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I like Caro's skating and really wish she will medal at Olys. Her movements are always so fluid and elegant. Go Caro. Give it your last best shot!
  35. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

36. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

From what I can muster, you are correct, the article states that Carolina is skipping the Universiade but will be competing at Italian Nationals. To the best of my knowledge, the article is suggesting (as many have) that Carolina return to her Bolero program from last season and ditch Scheherazade. The article states that "sources rumor that Kostner is considering switching her free program back to Bolero, as Scheherazade has been done many times by the likes of Kim Yu-Na and now Davis/White this season".

I was just starting to warm up to Carolina's Scheherazade. Though, not going to lie, I would be so thrilled if she brought Bolero back, that program is a masterpiece, and probably her signature program along with Mozart from 2011/12. :swoon:
  37. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

It might be wise to go back to Bolero. I want to see Caro skating very well at Sochi. If I can wish one more, please add that spiral in the end of Scheherazade to Borelo. ;) Wow, it's a good news. Go Caro! Thank you, lahaa968!
  38. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I really hope she goes back to Bolero. Despite her stronger performance at COR, I'm still completely unmoved by her Scheherazade program. I also don't feel as though she's as invested in it as she needs to be to sell it. Bolero is wonderful really builds throughout the program...plus, we probably won't be seeing many Boleros which should help her stand out more.
  39. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It would be better to go back to Afternoon of a faun or Mozart. Really, those two programs were masterpieces.
    I'm not fond of Bolero, and it was hard to perform perfectly and to see the fabulous fluidity of her skating.
  40. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Faun would be perfect. Ditch this Nichols shite and get a medal.