The Carolina Kostner Thread

msadot

^She may follow the Mao route - take this season off. But being older than Mao by an entire Olympic season almost (3.5 yrs.) and probably having accomplished all her realistic competitive goals (World and European Champ w/ multiple medals; Olympic medalist), my bet is that she retires. But not 100% sure.

Kant remember correctly, BUT... both caro n Mao... won all medals: Olympics, World, Gran Prix, Nationals, Europe/4Continents. Am I right?
AND... they have both set a new european/worl record? (Adelina S, are you taking note?).
STILL, Caro is now at the same level of Irina Slutskaya: 8 Continental Medals. Seems like Sotkholm 2015 will allow her to break this record, too: 9 European medals IN A ROW. :)

olympic

Kant remember correctly, BUT... both caro n Mao... won all medals: Olympics, World, Gran Prix, Nationals, Europe/4Continents. Am I right?
AND... they have both set a new european/worl record? (Adelina S, are you taking note?).
STILL, Caro is now at the same level of Irina Slutskaya: 8 Continental Medals. Seems like Sotkholm 2015 will allow her to break this record, too: 9 European medals IN A ROW. :)

Interesting. I guess it will depend on whether she is competitive with statistics. But, many skaters are more into the process and listening to their bodies.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
Interview published on June 11: http://it.opinionspost.com/carolina-kostner-la-dea-olimpica-del-nostro-ghiaccio-lintervista/

Google translation: http://translate.google.com/transla...dea-olimpica-del-nostro-ghiaccio-lintervista/
Kostner - From the Olympics, I never stop because I'm from a commitment to each other. I have not had the peace of mind well decide how to move forward.

Kostner performed in "Denis Ten & Friends" in late May/early June - thread with photos/videos in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?92221-Denis-Ten-amp-Friends

She is scheduled to skate in a benefit (2 shows) in El Segundo, California, on July 19 - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...raiser-2-shows-on-July-19-in-El-Segundo-Calif

September 20-21, 2014 in Verona, Italy: http://www.operapoponice.com/intimissimi/index_eng.html

Last edited:

lauravvv

Thank you, Sylvia.

She is scheduled to skate in a benefit (2 shows) in El Segundo, California, on July 19 - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...raiser-2-shows-on-July-19-in-El-Segundo-Calif
This is interesting. Even the most famous from the European skaters rarely, if ever, perform in USA. Russian skaters like Gordeeva, Kulik and Yagudin who live or have lived in USA, also the Kerrs who live in USA too are rare exceptions.

trouble77

Banned Member
Thank you, Sylvia.

This is interesting. Even the most famous from the European skaters rarely, if ever, perform in USA. Russian skaters like Gordeeva, Kulik and Yagudin who live or have lived in USA, also the Kerrs who live in USA too are rare exceptions.

Gordeeva and Kulik have always be in such high demand that are the ones who pick and choose when to skate in a show.
Famous european skaters have always been invited to skate in USA, to name a few T&D, Irina Slutskaya, Surya Bonaly, Steven Cousins, Katerina Witt, Belousova and Protopopov and the list goes on.
This is a show were the are inviting Olympic Medalist, since Kostner is a medalist she has been invited. it's not a rare exception.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Gordeeva and Kulik have always be in such high demand that are the ones who pick and choose when to skate in a show.
Famous european skaters have always been invited to skate in USA, to name a few T&D, Irina Slutskaya, Surya Bonaly, Steven Cousins, Katerina Witt, Belousova and Protopopov and the list goes on.
This is a show were the are inviting Olympic Medalist, since Kostner is a medalist she has been invited. it's not a rare exception.
I didn't know that it's a show for Olympic medalists. Otherwise, I was not talking about the skaters of the past (of course, Slutskaya is still skating), and what happened in the past when professional competitions were held in USA. I know very well that Olympic and World medalists from Russia and the rest of the Europe were frequently invited to USA then. I was talking about the current situation. Even if European skaters are still invited to USA, it is mostly to small shows that we rarely hear about. Kostner herself has been a famous skater for a long time, although she became an Olympic medalist just now, but this is the first time when I have read on this forum or somewhere else that she has been invited to USA. Even such skaters as Savchenko/Szolkowy and Stephane Lambiel skated in USA only when Yuna invited them to her LA show, although I am sure that many skating fans would like/would have liked to see them there again. I haven't read anything about Volosozhar/Trankov being invited to a USA show so far either. And the list goes on.

Sylvia

The show in L.A. is a benefit and fundraiser for Nick LaRoche's foundation, and it's great that Kostner has agreed to help out this year, along with the other Olympic, World, and National medalists and competitors. I don't believe the skaters are being paid to skate here, although their expenses are being covered.

Sylvia

GSD thread started earlier today: Kostner has announced she will not compete in 2014-15

Post copied over here:
Carolina Kostner announced today on her official facebook page that she will not take part of the 2014-2015 competitive season, while she wants to be part of on-ice galas and shows, continue her studies at the University and spend more time with friends and family.

She doesn't mention coming back for the 2015-2016 season, but we can still hope for it :watch:

Some more links:

http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figu...rolina-kostner-ha-decisostop-per-una-stagione

ENG http://www.snowalps.com/sport/figur...rolina-kostner-ha-decisostop-per-una-stagione

VGThuy

I didn't even think there was even a question of Kostner competing next season. However, if Kostner does end up, against all odds, competing in the 2015-2016 season, I would absolutely love it. I'm hoping to save enough money to attend Boston worlds and Kostner being there (in good form) would make it all worth the price of admission.

olympic

^ I don't know if we will see her in competition again. She will be turning 29 during the 2015 - 16 season, but I would think she has accomplished all of her competitive goals. I wish her the best. I really grew to like her over the last few years

VGThuy

^ I don't know if we will see her in competition again. She will be turning 29 during the 2015 - 16 season, but I would think she has accomplished all of her competitive goals. I wish her the best. I really grew to like her over the last few years

Yeah, it would probably be much better if she didn't. If she retires from eligible skating now, she would have ended on a high note with a huge amount of fans (many of whom she gained this past quad), and even proved that you don't have to be washed up in your late 20s.

Jammers

I can't see Carolina coming back to compete again. The new girls PCS will rise even more now that the veterans aren't around to keep them down and Carolina's PCS is the only advantage she still had over the younger girls. She was having trouble keeping up with the jumps that they can do and i don't think a repeat of her FS at Worlds they would be willing to reward her like that now that a new era has begun especially with her taking a year off.

olympic

I can't see Carolina coming back to compete again. The new girls PCS will rise even more now that the veterans aren't around to keep them down and Carolina's PCS is the only advantage she still had over the younger girls. She was having trouble keeping up with the jumps that they can do and i don't think a repeat of her FS at Worlds they would be willing to reward her like that now that a new era has begun especially with her taking a year off.

True. IMO, TPTB and judging panels have a pattern of showing skaters the door who overstay, usually in the form of PCS and levels deflation

joubertelegant

Banned Member
I didn't even think there was even a question of Kostner competing next season. However, if Kostner does end up, against all odds, competing in the 2015-2016 season, I would absolutely love it. I'm hoping to save enough money to attend Boston worlds and Kostner being there (in good form) would make it all worth the price of admission.

She is so fast and smooth. She would be one of the most wonderful to see live. Just wondering are you a fan of Kostner?

joubertelegant

Banned Member
I became a huge fan of Kostner in the past four years.

Interesting. So you weren't before then? Was that due to her held up reputation she used to have (which I think she shed the last 4 years, minus the 2014 worlds everyone pretty much agreed with her placements and sometimes wuzrobbed even).

VGThuy

Interesting. So you weren't before then? Was that due to her held up reputation she used to have (which I think she shed the last 4 years, minus the 2014 worlds everyone pretty much agreed with her placements and sometimes wuzrobbed even).

I just didn't get her really. I understood why she could have been great with her deep edges and speed. However, I always thought she was sloppy and never knew how to control her speed. I also thought she didn't know how to execute choreography and looked a bit silly. I did see promise with her 2007 Worlds SP, but then 2008 Worlds really turned me off of her for a while. I think once she learned how to breathe and control herself and understand movement, her other qualities were able to shine even more.

jiggs

Some Carolina news!

Her show "Opera on Ice" became "Operapop on Ice" sponsored by Intimissimi, this is the website: http://www.operapoponice.com/intimissimi/
There are two shows this year in September in the Arena di Verona, it seems like this will be quite a big deal with Marco Balich as a producer involved, who has also created the opening and closing ceremonies for Torino and Sochi Olympics. There will be live opera, orchestra, choir and pop music, the main skaters involved are Carolina, Stéphane, Pang/Tong and Anna/Luca. This is how the colloseum looked like for Opera on Ice and this is the concept for this year's stage. I really think this show is something the world of figure skating has never seen before and I am quite excited to see how it turns out. Hopefully they will release a DVD and show it in theatres around the world like last year. And finally here is a short video of Carolina working on her choreographies for the show.

She has been involved in various charity activities the past couple of months, was an announcer at the MTV Music Awards (video), extended her T-Shirt collection, skated at "An Evening on Ice" in LA and was chosen as testimonial for OVS (Italian brand like H&M) for their fitness line (video).

Sylvia

Last edited:

jiggs

Thank you for sharing this! She is SO special. Her soul shines through in everything she does.

jiggs

Schedule for the upcoming months from her official website:

28.-29.11.2014: Macy's Grand Tree Lighting Show, Dallas TX (USA)
18.12.2014: Legends on Ice, Geneva (SUI)
28.12.2014: Christmas on Ice, Selva (ITA)
29.12.2014: Ice Gala, Bolzano (ITA)
10.-18.01.2015: Stars on Ice Japan Tour, Osaka-Sapporo-Tokyo (JPN)
05.-10.02.2015: Art on Ice Tour, Zürich-Lausanne-Davos (SUI)

Sylvia

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information