The Carolina Kostner Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jiggs, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

I can't wait to see her performance tonite, I'm so happy for her to have an Olympic medal. :)

2. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I have said before that she's never been my favourite skater, but she delivered two wonderful programs at these Olympics and fully deserved to be on that podium. If she had ended up winning, that would have been fine with me too because you couldn't find fault with this program... even if the judges obviously did :( She should be very proud of herself for staying with skating and finally getting that Olympic medal!

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, Julia is lucky that Carolina wasn't from Russia and Julia wasn't from anywhere else. ;)

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Felicissimo per Carolina! Ha girato come un angelo.

5. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

OTOH, if she were Russian, Caro would've been forcibly retired ten years ago. Piseev is ruthless with young girls who fail to deliver ASAP.

6. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

Congrats Carolina! The real gold medal winner IMO - just gorgeous in every way.

7. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

The true gold medalist! But WHO CARE, she skates for the sake of art not stupid judge and being pr machine.

True Artist!

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Carolina was magnificent in both phases of the competition. So happy for her that she finally won an Olympic medal. She has become a complete, balanced skater with beautiful artistry. :cheer:

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I'm so so happy that finally, she came to that level of skating. Before 2010, she had the jumps, but was too fast, or something was lacking. Between 2010 and 2013, she found that amazing artistry that I knew she was able of. And now, she has the jumps and the artistry. What a beautiful skater, complete package.
    Her arms are so beautiful, so are her legs.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

10. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

So happy for her medaling in Olympics at last. I loved her short program expressing her pure love for skating. I was so so devastated for Mao's short program. So Caro's beautiful skating saved me. Thank you and congratulations!

11. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

So happy for Carolina!! She gave two stunning performances and is now an Olympic medalist!! I almost wish she could continue for more years! Her programs and skating have been the best of anyone in the last few years!!

12. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

I'm still so over the moon in happiness for Carolina... sooo proud of her!!! All these years waiting for the very best to come for her, with all she's been through emotionally, always doubting or being hypercritical of herself... She fought her demons and did it when it counted the most! 3 clean programs back to back!!! This is not new to me though, this is the Carolina I've always seen throughout these years in practice, a gorgeous thing floating over the ice with stunning jumps... What Nichol said while hugging her as she came off the ice after the lp sums it all up: "Now do you believe in yourself?" For some athletes it comes more natural I guess but for others like Caro it takes an awful lot of work and I'd dare say guts! I keep getting teary whenever I think about it... Congratulations CHAMPION... you are GOLD to me!!! :)

13. icefan13

icefan13 New Member

I was not a fan of Carolina Kostner's skating in her earlier years when it was so much about power and jumps, but her performances in Sochi were my favorites, collectively, of all the ladies there! Such beautiful skating, and done with a smile on her face!

I'm happy not only for her, but for figure skating, because it was so nice to see a skater who stuck with it, matured, and developed her artistry later than others, yet had her best results at the end. It proves it really can be done!

14. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I agree and I will never forget when Alissa won the GPF it was Carolina - who finished a very close second - that was the first to congratulate Alissa with a generous hug.
    Then I saw it again in Sochi where Carolina, after skating so beautifully was the first I saw giving Adelina a big, heartfelt hug.

Of course I don't know Carolina but she seems to be a really nice young lady and great sportswoman.

I wish we still had COI or some kind of champions tour so I could see her skate Live.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

There was pure joy in her skating. Her smile lit up the arena. And, I agree, she comes across as a very kind, generous, young woman. No whining from her.

16. twinsissv

twinsissv Well-Known Member

Oh, Carolina...your "Ave Maria" almost made a believer out of me. :saint:
    Thank you for that most beautiful rendering of that unbelievably lovely music.
    You made it YOURS for all time. :respec:

17. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

I wasn't a fan in Carolina's earlier years when she was so gangly and awkward, but I am now since she's blossomed into a skater with an 'easy' sort of artistry; by easy I mean that on her the choreography looks very unforced and organic. Kwan was in the same vein, and it's a style that's different from Kim's and some of the other ladies' who all have a very 'rehearsed' feel to their choreography.

Carolina also showed true class at this Olympics - people have been spouting off in other threads about how Saint Yuna has handled the whole judging debacle, but to me it was Carolina who showed true graciousness in the way she hugged Adelina (that was a real hug) and just in her general demeanour on and off the ice. I don't think Carolina delivered a gold medal-worthy LP, but if she had she would have been the best champion at this Olympics.

18. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I have watched her SP and LP so many times now, she was my favorite ladies skater this Olympics and will always have my eternal respect. I am just wowed by her speed and line, so much power and command yet soft and gentle - she moves like a goddess, that short is the best since Sasha's MalagueƱa. :swoon:

19. rosewood

Does anyone know her schedule after retiring from competitions after the Worlds, aside from studying back in the university? Wish she skates in many shows in front of the international fans.(I know she signed on the contract for Opera on Ice. Anything else?)

20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Thank-you, Carolina, for two wonderful programs.

21. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

So very glad she didn't retire after 2010. We've had some great programs from her in the last 4 years and it's gotta be incredibly satisfying to her to finally find her consistency and top it all off with an Olympic medal.

22. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

23. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She is a goddess. Many chocolate medals and double golds to her, I hope she is treated like a queen in Italy.

24. Geh

Geh Live in Guardian Angel

At first, I didn't like Carolina, in fact, I hated her... And now, and since 2011, I love her so much!!! Her skating is esquisite, and her olympic free program is the best of all time for me. In my mind and in my heart, she is the olympic gold medal. Thanks Carolina!!!

25. Irish-Angel

Irish-Angel Member

That was my feeling as well..... although I definitely have nothing against Adelina, and I could even agree with the technical scores, please explain me one thing:

Choreography Points: Sotnikowa 9,50
    Kostner 9,21
    :confused::confused::confused:

26. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Carolina will do the "Il Volo dell'Aquila" at the Carneval of Venice tomorrow. Basically, you fly over a packed Piazza San Marco like this: http://thefamilycompany.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/volo-angelo.jpg
    It looks terribly scary but also really cool. What an amazing experience! Hope there will be lots of pics, I am sure she will also wear a special costume!

27. rosewood

28. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek:

29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Love that she's getting introduced as an Olympic champion. She'll always be one to me :D

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Looks like she was one to the skaters who were watching in Sochi, too ;) They knew what a great performance it was.