The Carolina Kostner Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jiggs, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  2. reut

reut Active Member

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Here is the interview, not the editorial bits:

Carolina Kostner, you are a ragazza after my own heart. :swoon:

I wish every young competitive skater could read this.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  4. reut

reut Active Member

Vagabond, thank you for the translation. Especially liked her advice.

But actually I hoped to know more about the "Opera on Ice" part, she names there a few skaters, including those who already performed, but also Javier, so I wondered if she was talking about the cast for Opera on Ice 2013.

5. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I not sure if this video has already been posted, but here is something i found today that was only posted on youtube a few days ago

http://youtu.be/UzSiB8qCvHg

6. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

7. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

As far as I could understand (but my Italian is not that good) only Carolina, St├ęphane, Shizuka and Anna/Luca are already comfirmed. They will have to wait and see if skaters like Evgeni and Javier accept the invitation? I think this is what she said but please correct me if I'm wrong!

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You are welcome.

I translated the transcript. I haven't yet watched the video. :shuffle:

9. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Great job Vagabond! What you translated though is not the transcript of the video interview but an interview published on an Italian magazine in January 2012 :)

10. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Exactly! ;)

11. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I am cross-posting this from Denis Ten's show thread:

Thanks, reut! What a lovely new exhibition, she is such a powerful yet delicate skater! It also seems to me that she is looking to improve on transitions into her jumps - new entry into both 3sal and 2a. I hope that those will be included in her competition programs too.

12. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

New article on Carolina Kostner

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She is one classy lady. Too bad her long program doesn't quite show her best. I hope she does well at Europeans.

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I like Caro's skating and really wish she will medal at Olys. Her movements are always so fluid and elegant. Go Caro. Give it your last best shot!

15. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

16. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

From what I can muster, you are correct, the article states that Carolina is skipping the Universiade but will be competing at Italian Nationals. To the best of my knowledge, the article is suggesting (as many have) that Carolina return to her Bolero program from last season and ditch Scheherazade. The article states that "sources rumor that Kostner is considering switching her free program back to Bolero, as Scheherazade has been done many times by the likes of Kim Yu-Na and now Davis/White this season".

I was just starting to warm up to Carolina's Scheherazade. Though, not going to lie, I would be so thrilled if she brought Bolero back, that program is a masterpiece, and probably her signature program along with Mozart from 2011/12. :swoon:

17. rosewood

It might be wise to go back to Bolero. I want to see Caro skating very well at Sochi. If I can wish one more, please add that spiral in the end of Scheherazade to Borelo. ;) Wow, it's a good news. Go Caro! Thank you, lahaa968!

18. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I really hope she goes back to Bolero. Despite her stronger performance at COR, I'm still completely unmoved by her Scheherazade program. I also don't feel as though she's as invested in it as she needs to be to sell it. Bolero is wonderful really builds throughout the program...plus, we probably won't be seeing many Boleros which should help her stand out more.

19. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

It would be better to go back to Afternoon of a faun or Mozart. Really, those two programs were masterpieces.
    I'm not fond of Bolero, and it was hard to perform perfectly and to see the fabulous fluidity of her skating.

20. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Faun would be perfect. Ditch this Nichols shite and get a medal.

21. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I would like to see her skate to the Mozart program she won the World title with.
    It seemed to calm her. She needs to be calm......................

22. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I loved that program (Mozart) for her as well, and agree that a calmness would highlight her cool elegance and speed. I especially loved the dramatic triple loop.

23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Her Faun program was done by Nichol too ;) if you're insinuating that Nichol does bad work.

24. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

She must go back to one of the other long program of this olympiad....Mozart is my favorite piece of ladies figure skating choreography of all time so I am incredibly biased towards it, though any from this Olympiad would work. In fact...truly this long program is her worst since 2004 IMO...not the skating quality, but the program in and of itself. It it so clear by her body and facial expression that she does not engage with it, and the choreography has no life of its own...please change Caro, go out on a high note...

25. Geh

Geh Live in Guardian Angel

Mozart, please! Mozart!!!

26. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I think that Mozart and Faun are her two best programs, so either of them would be great to go back to. But I think that she'll probably go back to Bolero since it's most recent and will still be in her muscle memory.

27. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

Carolina never said she is changing her programs.
    here are her message
    "Dear friends, we shall inform you that Carolina will not compete at the Universiade (World University Games): she took this decision alongside with her coach because the event schedule would not fit properly into her training schedule towards the most important events of the season. Stay tuned for the next updates!"
    all the rest is pure speculation by the press.
    Once she said she didn't feel really comfortable with the bolero, but she wonted to challenge herself and test new borders. This year she feels her programs are really fitting her and she loves them. She had an injury but feels better now, she is just a little late in preparation. She will be at Nationals witch this year is at about one hour car-drive from her home town and I'm sure a lot of people will be there to cheer for her and has the opportunity to see her skating live.

28. msadot

msadot New Member

ANY program will bring her a medal: Bolero, Tartini, Mozart, Humoresque n Sheherazade ALL made her earn a podium. She said these two reflect her better than Bolero n Tartini. I think we'll wait and see at the nationals.
    IF I had to change, I would pick the one who made me earn the world medal; STILL, some say this may spoil the memory and might represent a risky step. Also, muscles need to memorialize it, too.

npavel and (deleted member) like this.
  29. rosewood

I still think Faun or Mozart would have the best PCS potential, but whatever she loves the best must be the best program to skate at Sochi. If so is Shehe, let her go with it. She'll feel comfortable and satisfied. I wonder if her goal at Sochii is to express her joy on the ice regardless of the results. She's mentioned to the joy to skate and appreciation to the supporters from time to time. (Even after the rather disappointing long program at CoR, she mentioned to them.) It's all about skating. She is such a great skater and an artist. I do wish her the best to show her skate of life at Sochi.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  30. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I'd love for her to re-use either Debussy or Mozart.

However, she'd need to alter them to fit the ridiculous choreographic sequence rule.