The Borgias -- starting Sunday

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Placeholder for discussing this new series, beginning on Sunday. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, I've been disappointed before with this type of show (*ahem* The Tudors) ... but given the material, it seems pretty hard to screw up. Plus there's Jeremy Irons, who at age 63 is still :swoon:.

In Canada it airs on Bravo!, 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern, with the 2nd episode immediatly following. Oddly enough, no repeats.

Can someone give the US broadcast deets?

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It's Jeremy Irons, so I'm there w/bells on. Still kicking myself for forgetting he was back on L&O SVU this past week, as he was just beyond fantastic the first time earlier this season. Anyway...I'm very much looking forward to this series and can't wait for 10 pm Sunday night!! :D

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks for the reminder. What channel is it on in the US?

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Showtime?

I won't watch it. I don't have Showtime and I really got pissed off by season four of The Tudors. :rofl:

5. Artemis@BC

6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, looking forward to it. :)

7. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

8. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

The first episode was on Showtime/Ions preview last night. Sadly, on Ions they blurred out all the naked parts. The actor playing Cesare Borgia is hot and I wanted to see his butt. :( The Borgias were such a nice family.

9. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Sadly netflix no longer streams episodes of Showtime programs that are currently running. So I'll have to find other means to watch :'(

10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'll watch it online somewhere...but I definitely want to see it.

11. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Thoughts? Managed to find someone nearby with Showtime and i think I will keep watching. Whoever is playing Cesare certainly holds his own with Jeremy Irons.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Not 10 pm in my time zone yet. But glad to read the first good review!

13. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

The actor who plays Cesare looks like John Kerr. Not sure if we are to think that at this point Lucrezia is quite as naive about some things as she would appear to be - specifically her chat with her mother after getting the seahorse necklace as a gift. (Don't want to give anything away yet.) Obviously in some matters they make it clear that she is very aware of what is going on.

14. Artemis@BC

Yes, her naivety does seem a bit a of an act, no? (Of course she's also fooling them all into thinking she's only 14, when in fact she's 23. :D )

I thought it was pretty good overall, although with some pacing problems. Too bad Derek Jacobi is gone already, I always love seeing him -- and really, is it legal to make a period drama without Derek Jacobi in it? But having Colm Feore as a continuing foil will be great.

François Arnaud, the guy playing Cesare, reminds me of someone else, another actor, and it's going to drive me nuts until I figure it out.

15. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

All I have to say is watching for Mr. Arnaud alone is worth the price of Showtime. :swoon:

16. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I agree on the pacing problems. It started out good and got a little slow. But I will stick with it.

17. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Me too…. At first I thought in certain shots he looks like young Denis Lavant. Then in some shots he looked like Vincent Perez when he had a beard and mustache.

And there are people also complaining about the “slow pace” in the topic about the remake of the “Mildred Pierce” classic…

For goodness sake…… we’re watching classics, historic classics, where details are the biggest part of the “art”….. and they can’t be flashed in a fraction of a second… A Film on a classic subject is not a video-game on I-Phone….

This is a beautiful production! The costumes, the sets, the details….. They deserve more than to be flushed in a second between 3 sodomies and 5 murders……

Take the sets alone…… The series were not filmed on location or in real buildings. All the buildings, inside and outside, the decorations, the sculptures, the St. Peter’s Plaza, the “old” Vatican, etc were hand-created in a studio outside of Budapesht.

A lot of work, creativity, mechanics and engineering went into this process……

The costumes, make-up, interior decorations were deeply researched and painstakingly recreated……

Enjoy it …… all these details are very unique.

18. Artemis@BC

I for one wasn't complaining about the pacing being slow, I thought it was uneven. Not enough time spend on some scenes, and too much time spent on others.

I agree that visually it's superb. Glorious stuff.

19. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I haven't seen The Borgias, so I can't comment on that, but, in general, the costumes, sets, details, etc., are there in support of the story, the drama. In the case of Mildred Pierce there is no drama because the whole thing moves at a glacially, deadly dull pace with deadly dull performances to match.

21. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Okay - I admit I thought the guy playing Cesare looked familiar too, but couldn't come up with a name and since it was driving me crazy I went for the similarity to John Kerr to stop distracting myself from the play. But if anyone figures it out please share it here.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I wouldn't say it was deadly dull, but several parts of it dragged. And the story was all about self preservation, but being pope seems to have been hazardous to the health back then.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I dunno. I really really liked Jeremy Irons in this. I think he is much sexier than that Cesare guy, his son.
    But overall...of course it's about the Borgias so there should be sex and violence but still. The sex is fine but the violence I can't stomach. So I am not sure I will keep watching.

24. Artemis@BC

I watched part of it again last night with a friend who'd missed it, and again I couldn't get out of my head how, um, impressive it was that, for Roderigo's coronation/investiture (whatever they call it for a pope), they managed to use "Zadok the Priest" ... over 200 years before it was written. :lol:

25. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I watched it on: http://www.videobb.com/video/QRsD2B2w01yO

Cesare was very:swoon: and the reason I went hunting for a non-blurred version!:lol:

26. MNC

MNC Bringer of Ice Cream

I've watched the pilot and it was awesome. You must watch.

27. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Sorry just getting to this now, but it's been a busy week.

Loved. it!!

Yes, it did drag a wee bit here and there, but all pilots/premiere episodes do for the most part, so I'm okay w/that. My main quibble was how freaking low the dialogue was. I was at my sister's and we had to put the volume on the TV as high as it could go due to my BiL now having hearing loss just to hear it. He's an Italian immigrant, so naturally he wanted to see this and that was the worst part of the entire thing, especially since he was looking so forward to this too.

I might have to end up putting Ep 3, since we had two back to back last week, on DVD since I have a feeling it'll conflict w/the Final at the Men's World Curling Championships. Oh well...There are worse things and I am also having fits trying to figure out why the guy playing Cesare is so familiar!! I *know* I've seen him somewhere before.

Oh and I didn't know that Colm Feore was on the cast until that Opening Credits went across the screen. That's when this silly stupid grin came on my face as I realized Christmas 2011 came a bit early for me and I had *two* of my very favorite actors to look forward to watching in this. :D

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

29. missflick

missflick New Member

Yes. Jái Tue Ma Mere was something he was in. It is on my "to watch" list.

I started watching this show two nights ago, just because Jeremy Irons and Colm Feore were in it. Even if it was a shit show, it would have redeeming qualities just because these two were in it.

It is a (mostly) good show. Some of the dialogue is a bit cliche, and worthy of a few groans, but I can tolerate it.

30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So far I like the show, don't love it, but I Love Jeremy Irons. You can tell he is having fun. The scenes when he is eating fruit shows how cool he is. Also the son Cesare is geowing on me. It is nice seeing Colm Feore. He is one of those actors that I did not know his name, but Know the face and always good. Also enjoying the scenery and costumes.