The Biggest Loser - No Excuses! (except for Conda)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by genevieve, Jan 18, 2012.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Did last season scare everyone away? I didn't bother watching any of it - no Jillian, Anna Kournikova as a trainer, why bother? - and it sounds like it was kind of a dud with Bob's team winning everything.

But I'm back this season :cheer2: And kinda liking Dolvett - although he needs to lay off the teeth whitener a bit :p I like that they're back to playing individually, even though there's astill a team component. Favorites so far are Emily (former heavyweight lifter), Santa Roy and Buddy. Last night made me love Cassandra as well. And I'm rooting for Team Aqua to make it back in the game - I wonder if they know once they're in the game they won't be competing as a team? Probably not...but they seem competitive so I think they'll be fine.

Of course, Conda has been a total bitch from week 1. She certainly makes for good television (since everyone else seems pretty lovey dovey), but I can't believe Dolvett didn't throw in a few "No Excuses!!!" when she was whining that Cassandra cheated in that first head-to-head challenge. I can only imagine that he did toss her a few, but TPTB are saving it all for next week. So glad Cassandra blew her out of the water in both the rematch and at the weigh in. Having Cassandra be the person with the highest overall weight loss in the house now just provided an extra burn :EVILLE:

But WHAT is up with the quitters?!? I know Ben didn't technically quit, but to me, asking to be sent home (in the 1st week no less!!!!!!!!) is just quitting in a way that doesn't hurt the rest of your team. But then Joe can't even wait a couple more days to do the same thing and penalizes the rest of his team in a competition. What a jerk! I'm glad the black team was able to win this week anyway. I'm guessing that Joe won't be at the finale, like Rulon Gardner 2 seasons ago. I was surprised they even showed him getting a call from Bob at home, but I guess Bob wanted an opportunity to have his say :p

Is anyone with me this season?!?

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I watch it inbetween other things -- like hockey games :)
    I loved that Bob has the black team cause that almost always seems to be the team I'm rooting for -- which meant Jillian in earlier seasons.

Joe - what a waste of space. Leave your team hanging, screw over your "partner". Yeah, have a good life there Joe, don't let the door slam you on your fat ass as your walked out. Sheesh.

Cassandra - WTG girl! Smack talk going on and she proves her worth in more ways than one. The way she enjoyed her subway food -- delish!

3. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Kind of. I stopped about halfway through the season with Rulon and only started watching this season because Glee was on hiatus then. :p

I know that there have been circumstances, but I find it interesting that some of the bigger guys have gone home so early. I find the seasons where the Fat Guys Alliance ran everything to be kind of boring, so having that shaken up a bit is fun.

OMG Conda...I wonder if she will be the next Vicki? :watch: :scream:

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I enjoyed last season - mostly because I really liked the vast majority of contestants. This season I haven't quite warmed up to the group as whole yet. Dolvett :swoon:

5. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Conda is such a vapid witch. I'm hoping she stays around a bit longer to generate some talk about the show. Ever since Jillian left, the ratings haven't been very good. I was so glad that Cassandra stomped all over her smug ass not one, but 3 times in a row. I'm a bit surprised she didn't vote for Nancy just since she came in as Cassandra's partner, but I guess she's wanting to get the threats out ASAP. Lauren was one of those that was steadily going to lose weight and could make it to the end. I'm not looking forward to seeing Gail's reaction to her leaving, though. It's going to be sad. I also think they're editing Gail in a way that makes me think she's going to have a huge turnaround and really start putting up some massive numbers in the weeks to come.

I don't have a favorite yet. I like Santa & Mrs. Claus. The pink girls are allright. I want to see how far grandma can go, too. Bob having a pissy because she only lost 2 pounds is a bit of an overreaction since she was able to have an easy week since Joe left.

Stupid Joe. There's way too many people out there that need the resources this show offers. I've never liked quitters on any show, but especially this one since it's so life-changing.

Bob is getting annoying, it's like he's on a multiple-week-long period.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I've been watching it. Hate Conda. She's so defensive and all about excuses. I like Cassandra, Mr. & Mrs. Claus, Emily, and the young guy whose name escapes me.

7. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I think grandma threw the weigh in. At least she should have.

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

We (Mom and I) also can't stand Conda. I mean...You're so full of yourself that you have to stoop to calling someone a cheat, and forget that you've got cameras following your every single move in that Gym? I mean...I get Massive Chip On Shoulder, but she's really *that* arrogant?

Idiot!!

Cassandra beating Conda where it really counted, on the scale, was one of the sweeter things I've seen on TBL over the Seasons I've watched. Even my Mom was snickering over that one.

Oh and is it just us, or does Emily bear more than just a passing resemblance to Christine "Tuffy" Hough-Sweeney? Especially when she smiles or grins? As I said, maybe it's just us, but we w/out a doubt see it.

I also really like Dolvett, but him wanting to beat Bob all the time is starting to get on my nerves. Can't help but wonder if he's so focused on that, he's not focusing as much on his Team as he should be. JMO of course.

9. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I have no favorites yet but this is one of my favorite reality shows.

10. genevieve

I was also pleased to see that, after so many seasons of pushing the upper limit on heaviest contestants (I seriously thought we were going to end up with an 800 lb contestant at some point), they have pulled back quite a bit. Only a couple of guys in the 400-lb range, many of the women in the 250-lb range. The first episode they all looked really small to begin with, but I think going so big really made the show seem a lot more sensational and less about doing good.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like that too. Contestants still deserve to be chosen even if they don't need to lose over half their body weight. Plus, if they are really serious about the Biggest Loser movement, I can sit on my couch and eat potato chips and justify that I am not as big as Albert or Michael or Dan or Shay. Not so much with people who look about the same as me.

12. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I agree. I just recently watched Season 1 and was shocked to see that two of the contestants weighed less than I do now. It seriously kicked my ass into action.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Conda is still smug and annoying, and she doesn't seem to be learning much. I actually like the new team, but the guy would be better off sitting back and observing a bit. But it is funny watching him get in the red team's faces.

14. genevieve

The red team :wall: how does Conda not get any votes, ever? She is such a shit stirrer. I feel bad for Adrian, because he got blamed (or partially blamed) for the dissent that started with Conda and Kim. But he does seem to be trying to get up to speed quickly on the game part of the show, and that has already really hurt him. If the red team loses next week I fully expect them to vote him off.

I also thought all the :argue: comments about the aqua team's lack of weight loss in the first week was a bit lame, considering that most of the rest of the contestants had equally minimal losses. Both of them commented about food - I kinda wonder if they were starving themselves in the last week or so prior to the ranch weigh in to try to make the weight.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That could be, plus if they were eating really low carb and reintroduced carbs this week, it could throw things off.

16. AragornElessar

Last night, I was really missing Jillian, because we all know that she would have given both Conda and Kim a Royal Smackdown. In fact, that would have happened w/Conda by now if Jillian was still around. I don't understand why Dolvett hasn't done more about Her Highness, because her attitude can't be helping the Team. I mean...Really? All I could think of when watching Conda and Kim giggling and badmouthing Adrian before the challenge was of two bitchy High School girls, because that's how they were acting.

As Adrian's sister said and nailed it perfectly too, Conda's very immature and has a *lot* of growing up to do. Conda's brother's not that much better IMO, but I also think that because Bob doesn't put up w/any of that crap, he hasn't got the same loose leash Conda has w/Dolvett. I wasn't that impressed w/his Team Meeting last night because he didn't push anyone to really talk about what was going on w/the Team. When the Black Team had theirs, Bob wasn't letting anyone off the hook. While the two youngins still weren't willing to give Chris a break, at least w/their Team meeting, the air did get cleared. The two guys still holding a grudge OTOH is a completely different matter.

Not only do I agree w/the both of you on that one, but did anyone else roll their eyes at all of the whining of how unfair it was for Team Aqua to be able to have that Second Chance? I mean...Really? If the plan was to surprise the Teams that did make it w/their return and not being upfront at the beginning of the Season that Team Aqua did have a chance to make it back on the Ranch, then I'd get that. However, they all knew Aqua had a chance to make it back so long as they met the requirements of losing 50 pounds. They did and they were allowed back, so why all the bitching about how unfair it was?

And yes, I did notice where the majority of that was coming from.

As for the both of Team Aqua to say they were eating more on the Ranch and were eating carbs for the first time in weeks to explain the limited weight loss, it's not *that* crazy. Especially w/carbs. Even w/healthy carbs, they are still one of those things that can pack on the pounds. So I can understand that and believe them on that point.

As for Adrian game playing...Was he? I mean both he and his sister were asked what they did for their workouts at home by their new Teammates and when they said what it was, the Red Team completely brushed him off/Conda and Kim froze him out. At least while the Black Team was a bit skeptical, at least they did give Adrian's sister the benefit of the doubt and allowed her to prove herself. Kimda/Red Team didn't even give Adrian that courtesy. Which had Mom and I giggling over what happened at the Monkey Bars.

Yes, I do agree to a point that Adrian should have kept his mouth shut, but when he's asked about how he lost the weight at home in order to get back on the Ranch? Don't bitch about that when it's not what you want to hear/aren't willing to believe or say he's rubbing it in. You asked him to tell you what he did at home in the first place, so... I also think that once Conda hates you, you could tell her she's a gorgeous lady and all she'll hear is an insult.

Mom's been saying once Conda and Kim lose that invisible massive weight that's on their shoulders, then maybe they'll start making progress. I'm not so sure. I get the same vibe from Conda's brother Jeremy. That smug, know it all so you can't tell me what to do attitude. Those three are my picks at the moment for those from this Season that gain the weight back once things on TBL are over and done w/.

Unless something huge happens to change that, but I doubt it.

17. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I just have to say that I don't really like this group very much. Last season's group was more likeable. Conda is a B**** and an immature one at that. I don't know why she doesn't receive more votes. If this drama persists, I'll be tuning out.

18. Fridge_Break

I hate Conda (like everyone else), but she makes for good :watch: She's totally there for all the wrong reasons, I really am doubting she is there to become a skinny twig based on her actions.

Mrs. Claus's little bonding time with the young guys was the most awkward thing I've seen on TV this year thusfar.

I'm hoping Jillian returns in future seasons. She's no longer on the Doctors so I'm hoping she'll need a project and will come back. Jillian & Conda/Kim would be :rofl:

Ironic how they call Adrian out on 'playing the game' yet they all turn around and vote Nancy out, who had a higher percentage of weight loss this week than 3 other non-immune people on their team. Sure, she was a liability in challenges, but she pulled her weight more than a good portion of them did. Conda included.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am not sure why I am watching anymore. Habit I guess.

20. Fridge_Break

I'm enjoying this season more than I did last season, probably because I thought the age division last season was unfair, and I didn't like a lot of the contestants. This season, I don't like a lot of the contestants, but the teams are a lot more fair. I still wish they had done a straight-up couples format, though. I prefer that and the individual game a lot better than the team format.

Also with splitting the teams up, I think that's maybe why we've had a lot of people expressing interest in quitting. A lot of teams in the past have gone there more to support their teammate instead of for themselves, and when they split them up, those who's primary reason for being there was their partner, their support role is gone and I think it has affected them mentally quite a bit more had these been an entire group of strangers.

I hope this goes to an individual game sooner than later. I wasn't a fan of how long the team format was drawn out in the last few years, especially when the teams got down to 3 or 2 members each. Yellow line, please!

21. Lana Lovelace

Lana Lovelace New Member

I can't stand Conda either. It's an intensely keen pleasure anticipating the time when she gets booted out. That smug look on her face needs to be SLAPPED OFF! She is an instigator of trouble on campus too, not to mention a bad sport (think when Cassandra beat her fair and square twice) and a poor student (think eye rolling at Dolvett).

Regarding the Dolvett vs Bob vibe, that's just part of the script amping up the entertainment value. I'm sure they get on just fine in real life. It's their job.

22. Lana Lovelace

Lana Lovelace New Member

Agreed, it's refreshing they have returned to a representative group and not just gone for bigger and bigger and bigger. Also perhaps the 500+ lb fatties are just too much of a health risk?

23. Lana Lovelace

Lana Lovelace New Member

Agreed that Jillian and Bob seem to have the maturity and experience to "handle' these difficult people better than say Anna K and Dolvett so far. It's an important part of a trainer's toolkit I think, because many really fat people got there in part because of attitudes/beliefs they hold. So knowing tools/techniques to handle difficult people is something a good trainer would really need to have.

Maybe Conda is such a witch because she's deeply unhappy (about being so fat) and her very body chemistry makes it hard for her to have an even emotional keel?

One thing I do know is that Jillian or Bob would handle Conda better than Dolvett seems to be. Although you never know given the show is so edited.
    Life is not fair and this is a TV game show! The rules *always* change to suit the drama/entertainment. Conda and the ex-wrestler he/she are speaker out of fear pure and simple. They are afraid the Aqua team is going to blow them out of the water.
    No way. They are smart enough to know their one week of immunity can be turned into two weeks of immunity by water loading before the weighin. They carefully weighed themselves and then drank enough water to bring their weightloss to just under 0 lbs (one was -1 and one -2 IIRC?).

All that water weight would have dropped straight after the weighin and next week they will get a double weightloss, thus ensuring they get *another* week above the yellow line. Smart play and legal but one tactic the show always dances around.

They never want people at home to realise the shenanigans that go on around waterweight manipulation on the show.

Adrian is letting pride get in the way of winning. He doesn't know when to shut his mouth and just let the others be wrong. He's showed he is a threat and he just needs to keep it zipped and stay low.

The majority WASP contestants always vote out the African American contestants pretty darn quick because they perceive there is a genetic advantage. And Adrian is also outspoken. In every "Survivor" style TV show where the group votes out contestants, the outspoken ones get chopped early on. You've got to fade into the background and sneak up on the group to win.

24. Lana Lovelace

Lana Lovelace New Member

Mrs Claus (Chris) showed she has poor social skills. She could not read that her attempt to connect with the two young guys was a dismal flop. She won't last.

Nancy was voted out because the group perceived she was a weak link, even though she outperformed the majority of her own team. That's partly down to contestants not being smart enough to understand the difference between % weight loss and lbs weight lost and partly because she was the omega baboon in the tribe. It was just plain easier to shaft her than the other more politically connected players. She gave them permission to axe her by being "mature" and "understanding". She let them shaft her.

25. AragornElessar

Only one problem w/that. Every single team on the Ranch knew from night one Team Aqua would be getting a Second Chance to make it on the Ranch as long as they met the requirements given to them. This was no shocking surprise sprung on everyone just to ramp up the Drama. They all knew at the very least Team Aqua would be back for a weigh in. All of the whining and bitching about how "unfair it all is this happened", is nothing but BS from a group of unmature people who badly need slaps upside the head to grow the Hell up.

As for the theory about "African Americans always being voted out", give me a break. This wasn't about skin colour and everything to do w/a group of so called Adults acting like a group of children when someone new enters the group.

As for the "game show" aspect...This isn't Survivor or some of the other Reality shows. TBL is *supposed* to be about people wanting to get healthy and change their lives. The money's supposed to be the "carrot" to get these people on the Ranch and then hopefully as their stay goes on, the fact they need to get healthy due to how sick they are thanks to their weight/lifestyle clicks in and that ends up lasting longer than any Prize Money would.

I read the NBC MB for TBL and last week people were so sick and tired of this Season that many people are not only going to stop watching from now on due to how much the show has changed this Season, but have also contacted the key Sponsors to complain. We all know there's going to be Game Players, but the behaviour of Conda's Red Team (Dolvett lost control of that group looooong ago) towards Adrian is beyond anything seen on TBL.

I can't help but wonder if Jillian knew this was coming and that's just as big a part of her leaving, as her wanting to adopt did. If I was NBC, I'd be trying to woo her back and BIG time too. While a nice guy, Dolvett really has just let the inmates take over the Asylum. :(

26. Lana Lovelace

Lana Lovelace New Member

Totally agreed. There was nothing unfair about it IMO.
    I'm looking in from another culture (I'm in Australia) so I'll bow to your more intimate knowledge on the race side.

Totally agreed Conda is WAY immature.

Yes it's about weight loss and changing a way of life re: nutrition, exercise, rest and the mental attitudes. But there is a game element. I am not a fan of the game element either. I skip the food temptation challenges and that sort of thing. I think those "game" elements dilute the value of the show but it's also an entertainment and the masses must want that stuff.

Something in my bones tells me Jillian will return one day if the show survives. Dolvett needs to focus more on handling the conflicts and less on flashing his ****-me smile.

27. Fridge_Break

I'm holding out hope that Jillian's short stint on The Doctors means she'll make a return. I follow her on facebook and haven't seen any indications that she's hinted towards coming back, but I know a lot of her fans mention how much they miss her on TBL. I wouldn't be surprised if NBC is trying to get her back.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I like how Conda's mother asked Dolvett how Conda has been acting. It was pretty awesome to see her get beat even with the 2 lb advantage.

Santa looks great.

29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Totally loved how the almost smug look on the red team's faces disappear when they saw the 12 pounds dropped by Conda's "opponent" and then got told she would have had to have lost at least 11 pounds for the red team to be safe. hahaha. I really didn't care to hear about how haarrrrrrdddd she's had it because of her father.

Anyone else chuckle when Conda's bro (whose name escapes me at present) was tugged in two directions -- wanting Conda to win but wanting his team to win. Seemed pretty pumped when it was the black team FTW!

Poor Santa, sucks to be you as the one voted off. He may not have "hung" with them and had some time when he needed to be alone but gee whiz, give the man credit for working hard and losing as much as he did that week. Sorry to see him go -- please, please, please send drama queen Conda home soooooooooooooooooooooooooon

30. AragornElessar

That was pretty sweet, wasn't it? Not that big a surprise though. After all, sure Dolvett worked Miss Thang, but she also had a night out w/friends. I doubt very much Bob let Daphne do that.

My mouth dropped and I mean *dropped* when Dolvett told Conda he was letting her do that. Never when a trainer's gone home w/a contestant over the seasons has that ever happened.

No shocker that Santa went home. I did love Ali calling the Team/Mark on their "reasons' for sending him home though. About time that happened. Roy does look amazing and I wish him all the luck in the world w/his Adventure camp he wants to set up.

It was so nice this week w/little Drama to have to sit through. Looks like we're back to normal for this Season next week however. :(