The Best "Pretty Princesses"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by snoopyskater, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yukina Ota

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Sarah Meier, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_hHbOU4MQ

She did occasionally try to break out of the pretty princess mode, but she performed in such a delicate, gentle manner that I preferred it when she stuck to what she did best.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As we've seen here, it doesn't have to be a pejorative phrase.
    I think it's a shame that it seems to be, for many people.

loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. RoseAugust

RoseAugust Member

5. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Agree.

To me, the term connotes polish, good carriage, and attention to detail -- all good things.

Of course, costuming, hair and beauty only add to the "complete package."

Caryn Kadavy, Alissa Czisny and Kiira Korpi for sure.

I'd add Susanna Poykio to that list (I don't think she ever had an ugly costume). Her teammate Jenni Vahamaa, too.

Cynthia Phaneuf and Jessica Dube. And Josee Choiunard, though I never found her very elegant and would've loved to see her explore her more "athletic" side.

6. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

That phrase will always have negative connotations, because it implies something weak and delicate, which doesn't value the difficulty and worth of skating well. If I were going to compliment someone with the skating style you all describe as pretty princess, I would simply call their skating beautiful or elegant or balletic. It takes an incredible amount of strength and athleticism to carry yourself well and with ease. The airy quality comes from the lack of forceful effort required to do something. I would never describe someone I like, especially an adult or young woman, as a "pretty princess", it's demeaning.

7. skatesindreams

I'm using the phrase to describe a style/approach to skating programs.
    It doesn't have to have the negative connotation you - and others - believe it does.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

For sure. I miss her skating.

9. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Why would you associate "delicate" and "weak"?

Precisely: being delicate on the ice, requires fitness and technique. Lori describes Asada as someone that skates on the ice as easily as a knife warmed into hot water would cut butter. Definitely delicate, yet a compliment.

Pretty Pricesses also are the ones who pay attention to details: in choregraphy, dressing, hair, overall presentation. I for one appreciate the effort and value the self esteem.

I liked Sasha Cohen's Swan Lakes better in the first part of the season, when she was wearing the back-swan/white-swan dress. This performance was pretty good.

10. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Jenny Kirk
    Gracie Gold (in training)

11. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I was there for this one! It was even more divine in person. She was my absolute favorite skater at the time -good grief, I would've been 14!- but I was so completely in awe. :swoon: Definitely a pretty princess in the best of ways!

loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Completely in awe says it well.

13. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Whoever said Sarah Meier, yes! She was one of my favorites, I still miss her...

14. skatesindreams

Delicacy takes a great deal of strength.
    That's been the way I've always defined the term, also.

15. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I don't define "pretty princess" as a good or a bad thing, more a combination of body type and skating style. Fleming, Gordeeva, and Robinson have a delicate appearance and a lyrical skating style so I would define them as such.

Joannie Rochette is very feminine and lyrical, but I think of her more as an athletic skater because of her body type and big jumps. Yuna Kim has a very delicate appearance but is a power skater, so I would classify her as an athletic skater as well. It certainly doesn't imply that either lady is lacking in grace or femininity, it simply isn't their defining characteristic in my mind.